What Percentage Of Your Net Worth is in Stocks Bonds?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Net Worth is as you know----Assets minus Liabilities---Don't includeGovernment payments or any pensions in calculating your Net Worth. My own Net Worth is 100% in Stocks & Bonds. 15 years ago when I was 65 years old my Net Worth was 50% in Stocks & Bonds.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Not having been back into the work circle for that long I've not had many financial assets available to accumulate. I do, however, whenever I build up a little nest egg buy a few hundred Premium Bonds.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

None. I sold out and keep a stack of silver, Gold and Platinum stashed out behind the barn.

Oh, yeah, and a big stash of Twinkies.

I'm ready.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Lon;1473698 wrote: Net Worth is as you know----Assets minus Liabilities---Don't includeGovernment payments or any pensions in calculating your Net Worth. My own Net Worth is 100% in Stocks & Bonds. 25 years ago when I was 65 years old my Net Worth was 50% in Stocks & Bonds.

With all due respects Lon.......and taking into consideration I am a bit emotional, while attending a family wedding........and a little inebriated.......don't you mean.......net monetary value.....rather than worth?

Because.......personally I don't rate anybodies 'worth' in stocks and bond terms......maybe that is because I have.....less than a lot......or to put it bluntly......zero.....in such monetary terms.

As a UK citizen, with a Social Security Fund that looks after the elderly and unfortunate amongst the population, mainly funded by those who contribute while working.........my future......while not luxurious.....is adequate and sufficient to my needs.

My net worth has more to do with the look in my grandchildren's eyes when my name is mentioned.......money can't buy that.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Lon;1473698 wrote: 25 years ago when I was 65 years oldYou're 90 now, Lon? Wow, time does fly, doesn't it.

Bruv;1473703 wrote: With all due respects Lon.......and taking into consideration I am a bit emotional, while attending a family wedding........and a little inebriated.......don't you mean.......net monetary value.....rather than worth?

Because.......personally I don't rate anybodies 'worth' in stocks and bond terms......maybe that is because I have.....less than a lot......or to put it bluntly......zero.....in such monetary terms.

As a UK citizen, with a Social Security Fund that looks after the elderly and unfortunate amongst the population, mainly funded by those who contribute while working.........my future......while not luxurious.....is adequate and sufficient to my needs.

My net worth has more to do with the look in my grandchildren's eyes when my name is mentioned.......money can't buy that.Generally speaking, being wealthy does net lots of nice things said about one to the grandkids, true or accurate or not. Nobody in their right mind would talk themselves out of an inheritance.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

In accountancy there are Fixed Assets & Current Assets. Fixed Assets are generally defined as being those of physical property - no only in terms of land & building, but even something as basic as clothes are Fixed Assets. However, it should not be forgotten that there is also Depreciation, which steadily lessens the value of the assets. Assets can also Appreciate in value, such as with Antiques & Collectables. Current Assets are generally Cash or those which are easily realised into Cash, such as Stocks & Bonds.

Curiously, you can also have abstract things as Fixed Assets, such as Goodwill. A company's reputation can add to Goodwill, as can it's location. Even the logo, such as was demonstrated when Woolworth went bust, but they were still able to sell the logo & brand name for Internet Trading. There was also the case of Rolls Royce, when the buyers weren't best pleased when they discovered that the sales contract didn't include the iconic Spitirit of Ecstacy.

So, with this in mind, Gross Worth could be seen as how much you could come back with after a day at the Car Boot Sale (that is, if you've got anywhere to come back to).
Lon

Post by Lon »

Ahso!;1473705 wrote: You're 90 now, Lon? Wow, time does fly, doesn't it.

Generally speaking, being wealthy does net lots of nice things said about one to the grandkids, true or accurate or not. Nobody in their right mind would talk themselves out of an inheritance.

I edited my post----I mean't 15 years ago not 25. I am 80. Too much wine.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bruv;1473703 wrote: With all due respects Lon.......and taking into consideration I am a bit emotional, while attending a family wedding........and a little inebriated.......don't you mean.......net monetary value.....rather than worth?

My net worth has more to do with the look in my grandchildren's eyes when my name is mentioned.......money can't buy that.

Net Worth is used extensively in the U.S. Accounting & Financial World & pertains to one's financial worth only.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Lon;1473724 wrote: Net Worth is used extensively in the U.S. Accounting & Financial World & pertains to one's financial worth only.

As I said in my reply I was a little 'merry' after a family wedding, and after seeing my sister's tears of joy at the wedding of her second son with a good deal of eye dabbing from myself, I was being contrary, but very serious.

Now I have returned home, and am completely sober, but still agree with my drunken post.

My sister'snet worth is............priceless..........to her three children who incidentally assist her financially from time to time.

My point being that people's net worth has very little to do with monetary value.

The only monetary asset I have is the crumbling bricks and mortar I call home, and even that is at the mercy of "The Market"........faceless brokers shifting unimaginable amounts of electronic funds around the world to make inordinate amounts of personal profit out of products, commodities and services they have no other concern with than the chance to make lots of money.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Lon;1473723 wrote: I edited my post----I mean't 15 years ago not 25. I am 80. Too much wine.

I knew it!!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1473702 wrote: None. I sold out and keep a stack of silver, Gold and Platinum stashed out behind the barn.

Oh, yeah, and a big stash of Twinkies.

I'm ready.

Yea

I have stock of guns and ammo.

Without is life worth it?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1473705 wrote: You're 90 now, Lon? Wow, time does fly, doesn't it.

Generally speaking, being wealthy does net lots of nice things said about one to the grandkids, true or accurate or not. Nobody in their right mind would talk themselves out of an inheritance.

A sad way to look at it don't you think. I'm sure the hugs I get from my grandchildren are not financially motivated - apart from anything else they know none of my money goes to them and that their parents have more than I have anyway.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

In answer to the OP, my assets are almost all in property, I see the stock market as too volatile to be the main vehicle for all of the investments.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1473787 wrote: A sad way to look at it don't you think. I'm sure the hugs I get from my grandchildren are not financially motivated - apart from anything else they know none of my money goes to them and that their parents have more than I have anyway.Oh, I don't know how sad that is. I admit some cynicism can be read into my post. However, objectively speaking, If we take the view that everything we do we do because we benefit from it then it's not so cynical. The warm and secure feelings we gain through hugging are beneficial to both parties, as are monetary gains through inheritance. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's all a part of our survival as individuals first.

Whatever our philosophical and political opinions might be are a different subject.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1473790 wrote: In answer to the OP, my assets are almost all in property, I see the stock market as too volatile to be the main vehicle for all of the investments.The stock market has been throughly compromised to where, though I haven't bothered to research properly, I suspect the average long term gains have shrunk from the eleven percent we used to expect.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Strange how in business you can put a value on an abstract asset, such as Goodwill, and even include appreciation & depreciation with it, but no-one can ever put a value on the most abstract form of Goodwill that is Love.

Return to “General Chit Chat”