The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
AnneBoleyn

The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Is Euromillions an EU lottery? How many countries are involved? How big do the winnings get?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

AnneBoleyn;1489434 wrote: Is Euromillions an EU lottery? How many countries are involved? How big do the winnings get?

Not sure how many countries are involved, but it is quite a lot ! Yes Euromillions is an EU lottery, held twice a week. The jackpot prize can amount to over £100 million as it mounts up quite a lot if there is no jackpot winner and this can go on for several weeks. There are amounts of money that can be won if a person gets 2 or more numbers that are chosen each draw. We have won several prizes over time, but they are comparatively tiny amounts. The biggest amount we have won was a few months ago and we won £80 !!!!! Wow !!! My county, however, is classed as a lucky county because we have had several jackpot winners who've won over £60 million each on separate occasions, in a 2 year period, in fact I believe one lot won over £100 million !!!!!

I would be happy with £1 million - would pay off all debts and we would be able to buy my dream bungalow in Norfolk ! :)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Yeah, me too. I could live on £1 million for a few days.

Might have to let the housekeeper go.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Personally, I'd get rid of the butler....
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

Smaug;1489625 wrote: Personally, I'd get rid of the butler....

I would never get rid of my butler. I can still afford to keep him whilst being on a pension simply because a have planned properly for both of us.
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Fuzzy;1489667 wrote: I would never get rid of my butler. I can still afford to keep him whilst being on a pension simply because a have planned properly for both of us.

Or maybe the gardener.... You never know what he might be growing in a secret place somewhere in the formal garden!

If you can afford a butler on your pension, you must have been a banker, Fuzzy....
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

Smaug;1489672 wrote: Or maybe the gardener.... You never know what he might be growing in a secret place somewhere in the formal garden!

If you can afford a butler on your pension, you must have been a banker, Fuzzy....

No, I was only a simple tradesman, but I've done a lot of banking in my time.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Fuzzy;1489726 wrote: No, I was only a simple tradesman, but I've done a lot of banking in my time.

Not mountebanking, I hope?:wah:
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

Smaug;1489737 wrote: Not mountebanking, I hope?:wah:

Nah, not much.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Hello from Lady J.

I was just in to post to Breed All About It and thought I would say HI!

I do hope everyone is doing well!:)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Lady J;1489782 wrote: Hello from Lady J.

I was just in to post to Breed All About It and thought I would say HI!

I do hope everyone is doing well!:)

Hi there Lady J ! Long time no see ! You really will have to visit this forum more often you know. You are missed ! I hope you are keeping alright, and the rest of your folks over the water ! I expect you have time to read some threads now and then, so you should be able to keep up with stuff that is going on in here ! Take care ! :yh_flower :yh_smiley
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well the temp is down among the icicles and frost, and I have had to put our central heating on for the first time this Autumn/Winter. Up till now we've been managing quite well with a halogen heater in the sitting room and another in the kitchen, as and when necessary. They aren't as expensive to run as having the gas central heating on. Our windows mostly face south so we get whatever sun that is going, into our house and keeping the temperature quite warm inside. It certainly helps to keep the heating bills down ! :wah:

I shall be going to the docs on Thursday to have my flu jab, and I shall ask them about the pneumonia jab, and if I qualify to have that as well. I think it would be a good idea as I have COPD and probably a little more vulnerable than the next person.

We've decided to stop doing the National Lottery since Camelot saw fit to add 10 more numbers, thus making it even more difficult to get a decent win. We'll still do the Euromillions though, at least we have won more times on that than o the National (not big wins I hasten to add - max. win was around £80 ). We used to have three regular lines twice a week, in the National Lottery, so we won't bother to even look at what numbers come up each week. I think I would be a tad devastated if one of our lines got the jackpot now !!!

Reminds me, I'd better get up to date with checking the Euros (we do lucky dips with those). You never know we could be multi-millionaires now !!! :thinking: :rolleyes: :-3
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Good luck! And if you ARE a multi-millionaire I'll be expecting a visit from you!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1489954 wrote: Good luck! And if you ARE a multi-millionaire I'll be expecting a visit from you!

Zap, you can be sure that if that was the case I would be making arrangements for passports and flights as soon as I could ! In fact I may make arrangements to have a really good get-together with all the friends I have made over the internet, including funding travel arrangements and hotel accommodation ! Gawd that would use up a million or so, I would think ! :wah: Ere wouldn't that be lovely to be able to do that sort of thing and not have to worry about the expense ? :-6 :driving: ;) :D
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I have my free bus pass, would save you a few quid.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1489958 wrote: I have my free bus pass, would save you a few quid.

Thanks so much for the thought, Bruv, but I have one of those ! :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I still have't checked my Euromillions ! I shall do it tomorrow (later on today n fact LOL). Oh well I can go to sleep imagining that I'm a multi millionaire (for the moment LOL).
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1490002 wrote: I still have't checked my Euromillions ! I shall do it tomorrow (later on today n fact LOL). Oh well I can go to sleep imagining that I'm a multi millionaire (for the moment LOL).

Here in the US, crossing my fingers!:)
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I really must check on all these prizewinning tickets I keep getting from Euromillions in my eMail. I must be the richest person in the world by now - if only I could be bothered to claim my prizes.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We keep getting phone calls from some guys in Jamaica that we have won a bunch of millions and a Mercedes. We just need to send them 5000 bucks for taxes, or something. If someone wants to lend me that $5K, I will share and we'll all be rich.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1490033 wrote: We keep getting phone calls from some guys in Jamaica that we have won a bunch of millions and a Mercedes. We just need to send them 5000 bucks for taxes, or something. If someone wants to lend me that $5K, I will share and we'll all be rich.

Sounds like a deal to me. I've got a check here for $7000 from some home shopping deal, just waiting for instructions on what to do with it. I'll send it to you, you send me a money order for $2000, cash the check for $7000, send the $5K to those Jamaica boys and then we'll all sit back and wait for the cash to roll in. And the Mercedes. :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Give us a shout Zap, when you get the dosh and I'll hop a flight and join the celebrations , so long as you can send me the flight money :yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I keep telling myself to think of positive things as there is so much nastiness happening in the world at the moment. These nasty happenings I can do nothing about, so what the heck is the point of worrying about them. If I get blown up tomorrow by terrorists, I'll get blown up ! Actually, I don't think that would happen as I don't venture out very often, particularly now the Autumn is rapidly diving into Winter and the attendant colder weather.

That reminds me, I must dig out my thermal underwear. I remember I did put them safely out of the way till such time when I needed them. If I can't find them, I shall have to improvise with some sheep wool (there's usually plenty around in the sheep field caught on the prickly hedges ). Of course I shall have to wash it first - my washing machine does have a 'wool mode' which is good news.

Well there you are, that's me sorted for the moment ! :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl Night night all ! :p
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I'm really glad that you sorted that out, Gilly. That's one less thing I have to worry about. :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I can't remember if I mentioned before, that when we did a day trip to Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk one Sunday about six weeks ago we saw and heard the most remarkable soprano. Anyway, I shall mention it now ! It was totally unexpected. We parked our car on the quayside carpark and started to eat our sandwiches, when there was this beautiful voice saturating the quayside with wonderful music ! I looked around and saw a group of people standing on the pavement and gathering in the carpark, looking towards the balcony above the front entrance to the Golden Fleece Inn. There she was, all by herself, with her small box of tricks which supplied very professional backing tracks, a modest sized speaker and microphone in hand.

Such wonderful music from that heavenly voice. She sang opera, popular songs from musicals and (much to my son's delight) she sang the song from The Gladiator film and also one from Lord Of The Rings - brilliant !

We were supposed to be trundling down the flood bank to the beach (about a mile away), but we were totally distracted by this unannounced solo concert ! What a distraction ! I'm so glad we didn't miss it.

Apparently the girl's name is Hayley Moss (Hogarth) and she lives in Norwich where she spends a lot of time busking. She told my son that she was in the middle of doing a CD so I expect he will be enquiring through her email addy at reasonable intervals, how she is progressing.

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

She is incredible. And I'm glad to see she's singing it in the original English (it was later translated to Italian).
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Beautiful!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

This is such a beautiful piece of music, from the film The Gladiator. This was sung by Hayley Moss when we saw her at Wells-next-the-Sea, but unfortunately I couldn't find it on YouTube. It showed her vocal range was terrific, each note pitch perfect and each note as strong as the others regardless of how high or how low she sang.

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1490219 wrote: This is such a beautiful piece of music, from the film The Gladiator. This was sung by Hayley Moss when we saw her at Wells-next-the-Sea, but unfortunately I couldn't find it on YouTube. It showed her vocal range was terrific, each note pitch perfect and each note as strong as the others regardless of how high or how low she sang.

Brilliant!!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well tonight the vote in Parliament went to backing the RAF bombing IS in Syria, so I suppose that will start to happen any day soon.

I've just seen on the late night news on BBC TV that two RAF planes have taken off already, from Cyprus, but they're not sure if they are heading for Syria or Iraq.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Before the division the news reported that they were standing by.
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

G#Gill;1490240 wrote: Well tonight the vote in Parliament went to backing the RAF bombing IS in Syria, so I suppose that will start to happen any day soon.

I've just seen on the late night news on BBC TV that two RAF planes have taken off already, from Cyprus, but they're not sure if they are heading for Syria or Iraq.

If they don't know where they're going how would they know how to get back home???
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Fuzzy;1490305 wrote: If they don't know where they're going how would they know how to get back home???

You daft bugger ! :yh_rotfl
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Fuzzy;1490305 wrote: If they don't know where they're going how would they know how to get back home???
That's why they're starting to train women as pilots - they're more likely to stop & ask directions.
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

FourPart;1490322 wrote: That's why they're starting to train women as pilots - they're more likely to stop & ask directions.

I can visualize a whole lot of female pilots landing in a large reserve and entering a public toilet together.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Fuzzy;1490360 wrote: I can visualize a whole lot of female pilots landing in a large reserve and entering a public toilet together.

:yh_rotfl Stoppit you two ! I know it's daft but you are so right - ladies always seem to go into the public toilets in pairs or in a group. I could never understand why some women do that !!!! I can't say I've noticed fellas going to the loos in pairs or groups. Mind you I suppose if two fellas went into the 'gents' together, maybe a few eyebrows would be raised ! :thinking: :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Things Happen For a Reason

Sometimes people come into your life

and you know right away that they were meant to be there,

to serve some sort of purpose, teach you a lesson,

or to help you figure out who you are or who you want to become.

You never know who these people may be. Possibly your roommate or neighbour,

professor or long lost friend, lover, or even a complete stranger.

but when you lock eyes with them, you know at that very moment

they will affect your life in some profound way.

And sometimes things happen to you

that may seem horrible, painful, and unfair at first,

but in reflection you find that without overcoming those obstacles

you would have never realized your potential, strength, willpower, or heart.

Everything happens for a reason.

Nothing happens by chance or by means of good luck.

Illness, injury, love, lost moments of true greatness,

and sheer stupidity all occur to test the limits of your soul.

Without these small tests, whatever they may be,

life would be like a smoothly paved, straight, flat road to nowhere.

It would be safe and comfortable,

but dull and utterly pointless.

The people you meet who affect your life,

and the success and downfalls you experience,

help to create who you

are and who you become.

Even the bad experiences can be learned from.

In fact, they are probably the most poignant and important ones.

If someone hurts you, betrays you, or breaks your heart forgive them,

for they have helped you learn about trust and the importance of being cautious to when you open your heart.

If someone loves you,

love them back unconditionally,

Not only because they love you, but because in a way,

they are teaching you to love and how to open your heart and eyes to things.

Make every day count.

Appreciate every moment and take from those moments

everything that you possibly can

for you may never be able to experience it again.

Talk to people that you have never talked to before,

and actually listen.

Walk the footsteps of a stranger

and you'll learn things you never knew.

Let yourself fall in love, break free,

and set your sights high.

Hold your head up because

you have every right to.

Tell yourself you are a great individual

and believe in yourself,

for if you don't believe in yourself,

it will be hard for others to believe in you.

You can make of your life anything you wish.

Create your own life and then go out and live it with absolutely no regrets.

"The past is a guidepost, not a hitching post."

Note:

The reason I enjoyed this poem was because some things happened to me in my life that I couldn't explain, but then I remembered 'Things happen for a reason'

Anon.

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well last year we had our Golden Wedding !!!! I was such a young bride :wah:

My older brother drove our 'taxi' from his house to pick us up and take us to a super concert in Nottingham at the Royal Concert Hall - it was, as luck would have it, a "50th Anniversary " of rock and pop with such groups as Gerry and the Pacemakers, the Fortunes, and the evening was brilliant ! Our 'taxi' was a 1937 Rolls Royce owned by my brother and occasionally hired out for weddings etc.

Attached files
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Heartfelt congrats to you Gill on achieving 50 years with your husband. That is truly wonderful.

:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

AnneBoleyn;1490386 wrote: Heartfelt congrats to you Gill on achieving 50 years with your husband. That is truly wonderful.

:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower:yh_flower

Ooooh thank you very much Anne. Actually I'm still in my early 20's (inside myself) it comes as a bit of a shock when I look in the mirror - I've given up counting all the flippin' wrinkles. I didn't do me any favours running an 'outside' business running a river trip boat. I got very windswept, and you know how cruel the wind can be to skin! :rolleyes:

Well, I've never really grown up. I think that is something I've inherited from my father, bless him. Even my son tells me to behave myself ! (as if I could :rolleyes: :yh_rotfl ) My motto is laugh and the world laughs with you, and I do try to have a good laugh every day whatever else happens. Of course laughter makes more facial lines dunnit ? You can't win can you ? :rolleyes: :yh_rotfl

But, deep down I'm still in my 20's ! ;) :wah:
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am in my late teens Gilly, congratulations, you don't get that long for murder..................or mass murder come to think of it.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I think a good sense of humor (humour?) helps to keep you young. And dancing!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1490401 wrote: I am in my late teens Gilly, congratulations, you don't get that long for murder..................or mass murder come to think of it.

Thank you Bruv. Ere my marriage has never been anything like murder I'll have you know ! Well not very often, let's say :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl and it's usually my fault anyway ! :rolleyes: My mum used to say "never go to sleep on an argument" and it is very good advice, and it works ! :lips:

Thank you too ZAP :-4 and you are quite right. I think it is essential to have a sense of humour and to know when not to argue a point, which I mostly manage to do although there have been one or two slip-ups over the 50 years ! :wah::wah:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

You must have done a lot of things right. Congratulations to you. Wow! 50 years. I was married twice and there's not half that long adding the two together. That math gives me a headache as did both husbands. But my three daughters have all been married over what my marriages were. I will say my marriages ending was not my fault.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I'm sorry when I hear how some marriages fail. I know that when one gets married, it is a step into another world where things and people can change. It's just one of those things. Nothing is guaranteed is it, and I feel so very lucky that my fella has always been as gorgeous and kind and thoughtful as he was when we got married. We have a wonderful son (who is very like his dad) who we are very proud of, and who gives his mum a hug every day. Our house is so full of love. Yes I'm so very lucky. :-4:-4:-4
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1490409 wrote: I'm sorry when I hear how some marriages fail. I know that when one gets married, it is a step into another world where things and people can change. It's just one of those things. Nothing is guaranteed is it, and I feel so very lucky that my fella has always been as gorgeous and kind and thoughtful as he was when we got married. We have a wonderful son (who is very like his dad) who we are very proud of, and who gives his mum a hug every day. Our house is so full of love. Yes I'm so very lucky. :-4:-4:-4

That is wonderful to hear. A loving family is what it's all about! I have three beautiful, talented daughters that I cherish, that came out of a marriage that ended with the husband sharpening his hunting knife, while in a drunken stupor, preparing it to kill me with later. And the second husband settled for only stealing from me. But I've got my kids and grandkids. :-6
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

G#Gill;1490370 wrote: :yh_rotfl Stoppit you two ! I know it's daft but you are so right - ladies always seem to go into the public toilets in pairs or in a group. I could never understand why some women do that !!!! I can't say I've noticed fellas going to the loos in pairs or groups. Mind you I suppose if two fellas went into the 'gents' together, maybe a few eyebrows would be raised ! :thinking: :wah:
Well, you see, the Ladies' Toilets have always been a mystery to us Gents - "Forbidden Ground", and all that. However, by donning my deerstalker, I have finally reached the only logical conclusion. The seats are very high in there & they need to give each other a leg up.

Elementary, my dear Watson!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1490414 wrote: Well, you see, the Ladies' Toilets have always been a mystery to us Gents - "Forbidden Ground", and all that. However, by donning my deerstalker, I have finally reached the only logical conclusion. The seats are very high in there & they need to give each other a leg up.

Elementary, my dear Watson!

Mmmm, me wonders how you know about the height of the seats in ladies toilets ! :thinking:

I'm alright going in by myself, as far as toilet seat height is concerned .................. I take my own mini steps with me ! :wah:

You know, FourPart, you are as daft as Fuzzy and Bruv ! :yh_rotfl, but please don't change ! It's good to have a giggle !
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

I don't like public toilets at all, but these two are a cracker.

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I'm told that in the men's room at our local American Legion there is a photo of Jane Fonda over the urinals. Apparently they don't like Hanoi Jane.

Return to “General Chit Chat”