Is God Real?

Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Is God real? In Psalm 24:1, " The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof; the world and they who live on it!" So strange how everything belongs to God, and yet there are humans who claim that God is not real, and that nothing belongs to nothing.

Interesting; how great is the darkness?

And some sing;" Right on for the darkness!" I remember when Curtis Mayfield wrote right on for the darkness.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

Psalm 1:1 Fluffy Pink Elephant Scripture

"The Earth & its abundance are the exclusive property of the Almighty Fluffy Pink Elephant - Blessed be the name of the Pink Elephant"

That is just as valid proof of the existence of Fluffy Pink Elephants.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

FourPart;1493411 wrote: Psalm 1:1 Fluffy Pink Elephant Scripture

"The Earth & its abundance are the exclusive property of the Almighty Fluffy Pink Elephant - Blessed be the name of the Pink Elephant"

That is just as valid proof of the existence of Fluffy Pink Elephants.

I know you are not able to see and understand how I keep trying to show you how you need and depend on myths to support your stance; your doing it here again. Like a habit, you NEED to use the myth of pink elephants in order to give " Validity" to how you are thinking, and you can't do it without it. You need myths to support your views; those same myths that you claim the religious need, you need more! I have never seen you defend your points without using myths and fables; never! Eventually you use them, because they are just as much a part of your reality, as they are religion's.

That is my observation of you and most Atheist I have had discussions with; they need myths more than religion does; thus, Atheism is Midrash. And one of the most sublime forms of Midrash that I know of. Because its hypocritcal and two faced in its accusation of the bible being Midrash, when its own insititution is Midrash.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Mickiel;1493378 wrote: So strange how everything belongs to God, and yet there are humans who claim that God is not real

Very strange indeed. If god is real, then everything should belong to whoever or whatever created god in my opinion.
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

Fuzzy;1493432 wrote: Very strange indeed. If god is real, then everything should belong to whoever or whatever created god in my opinion.
But according to their 'Logic' (because they refuse to see the stupidity of the situation) God created himself. It's a bit like the Oozlum Bird, from "Carry On Up The Jungle" - only in reverse. The Oozlum Bird supposedly became extinct by its instinct of sticking its head up its own backside & disappearing inside it. So that has to be the answer to how God came to be. He came out of his own backside - what a load of crap.

Mickiel - you never seem to understand the difference between a myth & a metaphor. Try learning to use a dictionary. I am using a metaphor. I even stated that I don't believe the Fluffy Pink Elephants to exist. In so doing you fail to understand that I am denouncing that as being a myth, real or otherwise. It was merely being used as a scenario to demonstrate how utterly ridiculous your case is, as it parallels it in every way. The only difference is that I KNOW that both God & the Fluffy Pink Elephants (and the Oozlum Bird, for that matter) are imaginary, whereas you believe your myths & fables to be true. It's only because your entire case relies on myths / fables, I have to stoop to using such metaphors in order to demonstrate the case to you as they seem to be the only thing you understand. When first introducing algebra to a child a teacher might use Apples, Bananas & Coconuts to represent the variables A, B & C. The apples, bananas & coconuts don't really exist (unless they actually physically use them in the classroom, of course) it is merely a metaphor to be used as a teaching aid. It is NOT a myth. Nor is it a fable. It is a metaphor.

MYTH - noun

1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

2. stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.

METAPHOR - noun

1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”.

Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def 1).

2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.
rajakrsna

Is God Real?

Post by rajakrsna »

FourPart;1493434 wrote: But according to their 'Logic' (because they refuse to see the stupidity of the situation) God created himself. It's a bit like the Oozlum Bird, from "Carry On Up The Jungle" - only in reverse. The Oozlum Bird supposedly became extinct by its instinct of sticking its head up its own backside & disappearing inside it. So that has to be the answer to how God came to be. He came out of his own backside - what a load of crap.

Mickiel - you never seem to understand the difference between a myth & a metaphor. Try learning to use a dictionary. I am using a metaphor. I even stated that I don't believe the Fluffy Pink Elephants to exist. In so doing you fail to understand that I am denouncing that as being a myth, real or otherwise. It was merely being used as a scenario to demonstrate how utterly ridiculous your case is, as it parallels it in every way. The only difference is that I KNOW that both God & the Fluffy Pink Elephants (and the Oozlum Bird, for that matter) are imaginary, whereas you believe your myths & fables to be true. It's only because your entire case relies on myths / fables, I have to stoop to using such metaphors in order to demonstrate the case to you as they seem to be the only thing you understand. When first introducing algebra to a child a teacher might use Apples, Bananas & Coconuts to represent the variables A, B & C. The apples, bananas & coconuts don't really exist (unless they actually physically use them in the classroom, of course) it is merely a metaphor to be used as a teaching aid. It is NOT a myth. Nor is it a fable. It is a metaphor.

MYTH - noun

1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

2. stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.

METAPHOR - noun

1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”.

Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def 1).

2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

Yes, God is real. God is present within everyone`s heart as the Paramatma Supreme Soul & from without as the Time factor. He is the localize expansion of God. So, if you are looking for God he is the tick tock on your wrist watches. He is the lub-dub sound you hear from your heart. He is located in the SA node emitting regular electric pulsation targeting the AV node, the location of the Atma Soul. The latter causes the Atrio-Ventricular muscles of the heart to contract & relax to open the AV valves. The result is the pumping of the heart of blood to & from the body`s circulatory system. Take away the Paramatma, the localized expansion of God from this equation. & what you will have is a dead body.

Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

The Oozlum bird does not exist, but you NEED to use it in your defense because you NEED myths and fables to assist you in your thinking. You think they give your argument meaning and reality. I don't share that world with you, because I don't NEED myths and fables to assist my thinking. Your bird is meaningless to me , as is your example in using it; but you don't get that. You think I should understand your need to keep using fables and metaphors to assist your thinking.

I hold no need for your myths and fables.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

The need is there to compare like with like. One inane ideology to compare with another. There is nothing in the real world that is stupid enough to compare with the concept of a big Sky Daddy.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

He just doesn't get it, FP.

When one has a closed mind, nothing else will get in. Mind you, it is fun trying to educate these people, although is it futile.
rajakrsna

Is God Real?

Post by rajakrsna »

FourPart;1493445 wrote: The need is there to compare like with like. One inane ideology to compare with another. There is nothing in the real world that is stupid enough to compare with the concept of a big Sky Daddy.

Maybe it`s your nature annoying people until they turn black and blue. But it`s okay. If this what makes you happy here in this forum. :-2
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

rajakrsna;1493458 wrote: Maybe it`s your nature annoying people until they turn black and blue. But it`s okay. If this what makes you happy here in this forum. :-2
The point is that we object to having this nonsense thrust upon us in our faces & we are not prepared to sit mildly by & take it.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

FourPart;1493467 wrote: The point is that we object to having this nonsense thrust upon us in our faces & we are not prepared to sit mildly by & take it.

I don't think its nonsense to believe in God, or some kind of after life. I think its somethingelse there. And I don't thrust my views on anyone here. I have threads I have started, and 99% of the time I stay on my threads, I do not go to other threads and thrust my views on others. If one does not like my views, then don't read them.

Besides, some 32% of Atheist and Agnostics believe in an after life;

Survey: 32% of Atheists & Agnostics Believe in an Afterlife | The Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493454 wrote: He just doesn't get it, FP.

When one has a closed mind, nothing else will get in. Mind you, it is fun trying to educate these people, although is it futile.

Lets say forum garden is the place for educating " These people" you are referring to. Lets just say you are assuming that the majority of members at forum garden are Atheist, and you are " Educating Theist", who are a minority. Speaking as a Theist, I consider Atheist as being closed minded " In the area of God and the after life", or spiritual consciousness. I think its fun trying to educate the Atheist; and I have had a ball over the years;

I got nothing better to do.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

What you don't seem to realise is how irritating it is to other FG users that flooding the Religious section with new thread, essentially saying exactly the same thing has a knock on effect of making nigh on every new thread a Religious one. This makes the entire forum come across as a Religious Forum. If you want to babble on about it, at least keep it to a single thread, unless it's an entirely different subject.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

FourPart;1493482 wrote: What you don't seem to realise is how irritating it is to other FG users that flooding the Religious section with new thread, essentially saying exactly the same thing has a knock on effect of making nigh on every new thread a Religious one. This makes the entire forum come across as a Religious Forum. If you want to babble on about it, at least keep it to a single thread, unless it's an entirely different subject.

That's a bunch of baloney; I basically start a new thread once every two years or so. At times the religious section is basically dead and nobody post on it. Then when it is momentarily brought to life, you act as if the section should be outlawed! Your just uneasy with religion; its a threat to you; that much is obvious.

Just because you are insecure with religion, does not mean it should not exist. Get over it, you can't control it, so get over it!
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Mickiel;1493477 wrote: Speaking as a Theist, I consider Atheist as being closed minded

I think you couldn't be further from the truth there. Atheists are much more likely to look at new evidence and are prepared to take on new information than theists who stubbornly defend an outdated belief system.

Some theist seem to come around finally to take on certain information, i.e. the correct shape of the planet, the movements of all planets in the solar system. You don't hear theists promoting the trade and the beating of slaves anymore, although it is written in their favorite book. Do I need to go on?
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493488 wrote: I think you couldn't be further from the truth there. Atheists are much more likely to look at new evidence and are prepared to take on new information than theists who stubbornly defend an outdated belief system.

Some theist seem to come around finally to take on certain information, i.e. the correct shape of the planet, the movements of all planets in the solar system. You don't hear theists promoting the trade and the beating of slaves anymore, although it is written in their favorite book. Do I need to go on?

I think you couldn't be further from the truth, Atheist are far more close minded than Theist;

https://www.quora.com/Are-atheists-usua ... an-theists
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

So you found someone who agrees with you. Well done.:wah:

Are Christians often too close-minded? | Debate.org
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493530 wrote: So you found someone who agrees with you. Well done.:wah:

Are Christians often too close-minded? | Debate.org

Oh please, were talking about finding material that shows Atheist are close minded; that's easy to find;

https://shadowtolight.wordpress.com/201 ... ed-minded/
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Mickiel;1493534 wrote: Oh please, were talking about finding material that shows Atheist are close minded; that's easy to find;

Which proves very little. Anyone with an agenda can write anything. For instance just look at bible.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493569 wrote: Which proves very little. Anyone with an agenda can write anything. For instance just look at bible.

Well we can look at the bible, since you requested the look;

Its been a best selling book for over 400 years straight; there is no other book that has done that.

It was originally written in three different languages , now its in over 1,000.

Hey, its the world's most shoplifted book; interesting, why do people steal the bible more than any other book in the world?

It has over 40 authors who took over 1500 years to write it; simply stunning! And none of them compared notes.

It was the first modern book printed.

No matter how Atheist keep trying to shrink the bible, it keeps growing.

Incredible book indeed!
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

That proves my point. Anyone with an agenda can write anything. That includes you.:p
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493599 wrote: That proves my point. Anyone with an agenda can write anything. That includes you.:p

Well thank you, I do my best.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with having an agenda, or with writing.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

Mickiel;1493534 wrote: Oh please, were talking about finding material that shows Atheist are close minded; that's easy to find;

https://shadowtolight.wordpress.com/201 ... ed-minded/

That is so comical. It accuses "New Atheists" (whatever that is supposed to mean) of resorting to using Science, as if there is something wrong in that. But what are the first 2 words in the headline? "Science Proves..."

Goose & Gander comes to mind.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Mickiel;1493603 wrote: Well thank you, I do my best.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with having an agenda, or with writing.

What I mean is, theists are making up stories whilst atheists are more inclined to find out the truth.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493629 wrote: What I mean is, theists are making up stories whilst atheists are more inclined to find out the truth.

I disagree with that, in my discussions here with Atheist , they are the ones who consistently make up stories, using myths and metaphors and talking about flying pink elephants. Such things frustrate the truth.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

Mickiel;1493642 wrote: I disagree with that, in my discussions here with Atheist , they are the ones who consistently make up stories, using myths and metaphors and talking about flying pink elephants. Such things frustrate the truth.
The FLUFFY flying pink elephants (get it right, if you please) merely reflect the stupidity of the fairy tales held in the Bible. The difference is that I don't hide from the fact that they're stupid. You, on the other hand, insist on accepting the Biblical ones as true. You have said that I can't prove God doesn't exist. I simply replied that you can't prove the fluffy pink flying elephants don't exist. That is not a myth. It is a FACT. One cannot negate something that doesn't exist. Minus Zero remains the same as Plus Zero. There is no evidence one way or the other. It therefore remains as Zero.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Does it really matter whether god is real or not? Since there is not a single god leftover from a few thousands of them, who cares? Only the weirdos. It is what they do.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493690 wrote: Does it really matter whether god is real or not? Since there is not a single god leftover from a few thousands of them, who cares? Only the weirdos. It is what they do.

No it really does not matter, God is going to get his way no matter what any of us think. When he think's its time.

Now that's going to be interesting, to see human reaction as God finally reveals himself.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Mickiel;1493725 wrote:

Now that's going to be interesting, to see human reaction as God finally reveals himself.

Or probably a huge disappointment when/if you find out that it was all just make believe. On second thought, there will be no finding out.:yh_giggle
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493727 wrote: Or probably a huge disappointment when/if you find out that it was all just make believe. On second thought, there will be no finding out.:yh_giggle

I don't know of anything in the history of man that became great without opposition to it. And Athesim has been a good opposition. And God has become great.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

God has never and will never be great. S/he makes too many mistakes.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

True - Nazism became great, with a great deal of opposition.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Is God real?

I would say yes, but proving that is difficult. I have tried for years to prove God, and each year I add to it. But I can't walk into a room full of people and show them God, like I show myself for them to see.

The evidence is circumstancial , nothing as solid as a human body for people to see. Nothing that does not require a certain mindset to figure out.

So God is like a poem; some get into it, others do not.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Since you ask the question 'Is god real' you must have some doubt yourself. You would say 'yes'. Others say god definitely is real. It just depends how strong one's wishful thinking is.

They say 'just look around you' what you see can only have been created by a god.

That's not what I call evidence, it's more like shortsighted thinking.

Because we can't figure something out, it must have been god who did it, end of story, no need to search any further.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493792 wrote: Since you ask the question 'Is god real' you must have some doubt yourself. You would say 'yes'. Others say god definitely is real. It just depends how strong one's wishful thinking is.

They say 'just look around you' what you see can only have been created by a god.

That's not what I call evidence, it's more like shortsighted thinking.

Because we can't figure something out, it must have been god who did it, end of story, no need to search any further.

I really have no doubts that God is real, but I understand yours; I really do. I am not attracted to the belief that all this came from nothing, because I really believe nothing from nothing leaves nothing. The sheer mathematics of reality, in my view, adds to something from something leaves something.

Something was there before we were, and I think its a God.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

If nothing comes from nothing, then what is the something which created the god you believe in?
LarsMac

Is God Real?

Post by LarsMac »

Well, to start with, there has never been nothing.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493851 wrote: If nothing comes from nothing, then what is the something which created the god you believe in?

I don't know. I have read in the bible that God created parts of himself. That's all I can tell you.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

Mickiel;1493870 wrote: I don't know. I have read in the bible that God created parts of himself. That's all I can tell you.

But it must be remembered that the Bible was written by men who had even less knowledge of the origins of Time & Space than we do now. These days Scientists do research in order to find the answers. The Religious have all the answers they need neatly catalogued in their 1 little book - God did it.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Mickiel;1493870 wrote: I don't know. I have read in the bible that God created parts of himself. That's all I can tell you.

That sounds extremely strange to me. As if something created the first part of god and god took over from there. I'd be interested to know about all those parts of god.

But even so, I'd still find it impossible to believe in the existence of any kind of god.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

FourPart;1493921 wrote: But it must be remembered that the Bible was written by men who had even less knowledge of the origins of Time & Space than we do now. These days Scientists do research in order to find the answers. The Religious have all the answers they need neatly catalogued in their 1 little book - God did it.

I personally think the bible was ahead of its time, and what science we have now simply increases on the knowledge we have. I have seen no science that disproves God or cancels out the bible.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1493938 wrote: That sounds extremely strange to me. As if something created the first part of god and god took over from there. I'd be interested to know about all those parts of god.

But even so, I'd still find it impossible to believe in the existence of any kind of god.

In Job chapters 38-40, God is telling Job the things he can do and has done. In 40:10 he interestingly reveals that he " Decked himself with Majesty and Excellency ", and arrayed himself with Glory and Beauty", in my view, that means he " Did those things to himself", or he created those things in himself. I mean that's how I interpret it.

So I believe God created parts of himself. What other parts, I don't yet know. Just how he did it, I don't know. But it lets us know, " Before he did it", he may have not been like that--- as much? Which is interesting to me.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

Mickiel;1493948 wrote: I personally think the bible was ahead of its time, and what science we have now simply increases on the knowledge we have. I have seen no science that disproves God or cancels out the bible.
Nor does Science prove it. Science takes the evidence first & then forms theories to explain the evidence. There is no evidence, therefore no Scientific proof, and by its very nature there cannot be proof of the existence of nothing.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

FourPart;1493988 wrote: Nor does Science prove it. Science takes the evidence first & then forms theories to explain the evidence. There is no evidence, therefore no Scientific proof, and by its very nature there cannot be proof of the existence of nothing.

Science has done a lot for humanity, but it has not undone God:

Why Science Does Not Disprove God | TIME
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

I don't think science is one little bit interested in undoing something that doesn't exist. Science's main purpose is to find out about life, the universe and everything. Religion takes the easy way out and says 'god did it'.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

Like I said - Science works to prove what "is", not disprove what "isn't".
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1494041 wrote: I don't think science is one little bit interested in undoing something that doesn't exist. Science's main purpose is to find out about life, the universe and everything. Religion takes the easy way out and says 'god did it'.

I think " God did it", makes a lot more scientific sense than " It did itself." This earth, was obviously primed for life ; prepared for it. God did it, means it was primed by a primer, prepared by a preparer. I think the easy way out is to claim that everything primed itself, prepared itself; its the uncreative way to look at this.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

FourPart;1494047 wrote: Like I said - Science works to prove what "is", not disprove what "isn't".

Science can't prove what consciousness is; it can't prove how we got here

It can't prove why you think and reason one way, and I do another. But science is worshipped more than religion by many.
FourPart

Is God Real?

Post by FourPart »

Other worlds are believed to have life on. Mars, itself, is believed to have life on. There have definitely been traces of organic life found in comets. Have these all been 'primed for life', or, which is more likely, has life primed itself to suit the environment. Even on our humble Earth there are a multitude of different environments in which one lifeform will thrive & another will perish. Those which are introduced to a non-native land will often thrive at the cost of the native ones - such as the introduction of rabbits to Australia, or Grey Squirrels to the U.K. Then there are others which barely survive, but adapt to the ever changing environments - even with the simplest of lifeforms, such as bacteria. Their environment is hardly 'primed for life' for them, as it is full of antibodies & antibiotics, yet they change to survive in a hostile environment. It is the life that primes itself, not the other way round. Moss will grow on a rock. It will also grow on a tree - or any suitable surface, come to that. Does that mean the rock or the tree was designed & placed there purely for the purpose of allowing the moss to grow? Life will attach itself to anything. If it's hospitable it will thrive. If it's it's hostile it will adapt. If it doesn't adapt it dies off.

Life isn't only defined by conciousness. Different animals along the evolutionary chain demonstrate different levels of conciousness. It is certainly not unique to humans. The main difference is that humans have found that a conciousness is beneficial to their lifestyle & it has adapted accordingly.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”