European court Hijab Ban ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Employers can ban staff from wearing headscarves, European court rules

I see nothing wrong in this.

The work place rule has to be in place already, it must be stipulated before commencing employment, and where there is no rule no one can complain retrospectively.

As long as it covers all religious symbols...............who can complain ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Understand the burkha but not a simple headscarf........ but then again i was schooled by nuns and still have an image of Audry Hepburn and Grace Kelly with scarves wrapped around their noggins.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
gmc

Post by gmc »

magentaflame;1507522 wrote: Understand the burkha but not a simple headscarf........ but then again i was schooled by nuns and still have an image of Audry Hepburn and Grace Kelly with scarves wrapped around their noggins.

The catholic nuns wimple has the same origins origins as the burkha a stone age religion that preaches women are inferior beings that instigated the original sin and so should not be allowed to tempt the godly by showing their sinful bodies and causing lustful thoughts to arise. Unbound hair has long been as a sign the woman is available in our culture as well as the middle east. In edwardian glasgow a hairy was a slang term for a prostitute because their hair was loose as they hung about the streets nowadays it's a derogatory term for a slut. Someone having a hairy fit is hysterical - like a woman.

You have to admire the level of conditioning that persuades women wandering around in a tent is something they actually want to do.

Wionder what the rastafarians are going to do about it. If a sikh gets his head caved in by a falling brick while working on a building site wearing a turban instead of a hard hat ( a sight I have seen several times) will it be an act of god or a breach of the health and safety rules? Although after brexit we can probably say goodbye to health and safety regulations anyway.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1507527 wrote: If a sikh gets his head caved in by a falling brick while working on a building site wearing a turban instead of a hard hat ( a sight I have seen several times) will it be an act of god or a breach of the health and safety rules? Although after brexit we can probably say goodbye to health and safety regulations anyway.

I understand this is for work places facing the public, rather than for industry where safety issues apply, although Sikhs do have the only legal exemption from motor bike helmets.....I believe.

(After brexit ? "We can say probably say goodbye"..........so you are against indyrep ? )
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1507529 wrote: I understand this is for work places facing the public, rather than for industry where safety issues apply, although Sikhs do have the only legal exemption from motor bike helmets.....I believe.

(After brexit ? "We can say probably say goodbye"..........so you are against indyrep ? )

You kidding? Keep your brave new post brexit world. Maybe you'll see a new concept of contributory stupidity in the work placed - you don't need guard rails at heights if you fall off it's your own stupid fault, brick fell on you? you should have dodged it.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1507531 wrote: You kidding? Keep your brave new post brexit world. Maybe you'll see a new concept of contributory stupidity in the work placed - you don't need guard rails at heights if you fall off it's your own stupid fault, brick fell on you? you should have dodged it.

So after brexit all work health and safety is out the window ?

There is contributory stupidity in the work place NOW, if under instruction you are told to work unsafely then you have the right and duty to ignore that instruction and to point out the problem.

Good safety laws can't protect idiots.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1507541 wrote: So after brexit all work health and safety is out the window ?

There is contributory stupidity in the work place NOW, if under instruction you are told to work unsafely then you have the right and duty to ignore that instruction and to point out the problem.

Good safety laws can't protect idiots.

Have a look at that pesky eu red tape hampering business that the brexiteers are talking about doing away with. Health and afety environmental nonsense. A lot of it isn't actually from the eu in the first place.

if under instruction you are told to work unsafely then you have the right and duty to ignore that instruction and to point out the problem.

Good safety laws can't protect idiots

Good safety laws can't protect an employee worried about keeping his job from a bullying employer it takes a lot of nerve to stand up for yourself and experience shows being blacklisted is a srious concern for construction workers.

What has this got o do with wearing a hijab? Actually in our culture it's rude not to look someone in the eye or hide your face I think it ;legitimamt to ban it in customer facing areas for that reason alone. I have no problem telling a born again christian or a mormon to keep his relgion to himself if they get annoying or start wanting to begin meetings with a prayer (go ahead by all means juist don't expect me to join in and yes I hav found myself in tgat kind of situation) why should any other be different?

Saudi Arabia launches first ever girls' council — with only men attending | The Independent

Sometimes reality is beyond satire.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Workplaces have always had dress codes. And rightly so. The employer sets the style and tone they want for their business. You don't like the dress code? Fine, don't work there.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Saint_;1507547 wrote: Workplaces have always had dress codes. And rightly so. The employer sets the style and tone they want for their business. You don't like the dress code? Fine, don't work there.

Dont know about that Saint. My first job at maccas when i was 15 had a uniform that we found out exposed our breast and cleavage when bending under the counter to pic up the bags. We were told to pin our uniforms so it wouldnt happen. But what about every other maccas worker around the country.

Over the decades the uniform has changed but it was slow to do so.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1507527 wrote: The catholic nuns wimple has the same origins origins as the burkha a stone age religion that preaches women are inferior beings that instigated the original sin and so should not be allowed to tempt the godly by showing their sinful bodies and causing lustful thoughts to arise. Unbound hair has long been as a sign the woman is available in our culture as well as the middle east. In edwardian glasgow a hairy was a slang term for a prostitute because their hair was loose as they hung about the streets nowadays it's a derogatory term for a slut. Someone having a hairy fit is hysterical - like a woman.

You have to admire the level of conditioning that persuades women wandering around in a tent is something they actually want to do.

Wionder what the rastafarians are going to do about it. If a sikh gets his head caved in by a falling brick while working on a building site wearing a turban instead of a hard hat ( a sight I have seen several times) will it be an act of god or a breach of the health and safety rules? Although after brexit we can probably say goodbye to health and safety regulations anyway.

I think youll find 1corinthians ch 11 says to decide for themselves. Its very contradictory.
gmc

Post by gmc »

magentaflame;1507562 wrote: I think youll find 1corinthians ch 11 says to decide for themselves. Its very contradictory.

Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

I would dispute that it is saying it is the woman who gets to decide. In the jewish. christian, muslim religions women are subject to the will of men whom god has put over them.

Saw a discussion of al jazeera between an iranian woman and a french muslim woman, the latter objected because it is restricting her right to choose to wear a hijab and it was a requirement of islam. The iranian's position was no it isn't a requirement it's a stricture imposed by men to subjugate women neither was wearing one so she was pleased this has happened. I would agree more with the iranian I would dispute the right of any man to tell a woman who she can interact with and how she should behave. or what is "correct" bahviour. We all follow cultural norms, some are repressive does that mean we should respect the cultural norm of someone living in our society when it conflicts with the rights of individuals in their family? Our courts nowadays will protect a wife in an abusive relationship not so long ago they would not get involved as it was domestic and the husband had the right to control his wife. Is hijab wearing any different in principle?

What would you do if you were told you had to wear a tent on the beach?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

This isn't about banning women wearing anything. It's about an employer being able to refuse individuals the right to advertise their religion in the work place.

A while ago a women was allowed to wear a crucifix, presumably this ruling will cover her.

Another women was sent home for failing to wear high heels

There are rules about, wearing jewelery or covering hair while handling food, so if you enjoy wearing your long hair down and your diamond encrusted engagement ring all the time don't apply for work in a bakery.
spot

Post by spot »

There are dress issues and there are religions ritual practices. Some religious ritual practices are quite simply impossible to allow these days. We must no longer kill the king when the crops fail. We must no longer sacrifice infants to Moloch to ward entrances. One day we might even abolish male genital mutilation.

Dress issues would all be a different matter of cultural conformity, none of it would relate to religious observance, were it not for the Sikhs. They are a recent faith invented by one person at one moment and that person chose to include, among several ritual demands, one relating to hair: "At the Amrit Sanchar in 1699, Guru Gobind Singh explained the reason for this: My Sikh shall not use the razor. For him the use of razor or shaving the chin shall be as sinful as incest.". I think if we focus on that and find a solution we can live with, the answer can extrapolate to every other case.

Could a Sikh switch to using a depilatory treatment instead, for instance, without breaking the condition imposed on him in 1699 by Guru Gobind Sing? I'm not saying he would necessarily want to - he may have cultural objections - but would his faith forbid him?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1507564 wrote: I would dispute that it is saying it is the woman who gets to decide. In the jewish. christian, muslim religions women are subject to the will of men whom god has put over them.

Saw a discussion of al jazeera between an iranian woman and a french muslim woman, the latter objected because it is restricting her right to choose to wear a hijab and it was a requirement of islam. The iranian's position was no it isn't a requirement it's a stricture imposed by men to subjugate women neither was wearing one so she was pleased this has happened. I would agree more with the iranian I would dispute the right of any man to tell a woman who she can interact with and how she should behave. or what is "correct" bahviour. We all follow cultural norms, some are repressive does that mean we should respect the cultural norm of someone living in our society when it conflicts with the rights of individuals in their family? Our courts nowadays will protect a wife in an abusive relationship not so long ago they would not get involved as it was domestic and the husband had the right to control his wife. Is hijab wearing any different in principle?

What would you do if you were told you had to wear a tent on the beach?

Oh no no no. I said the chapter. Not a couple of verses.

13. Jdge for yourselves, is it fitting for for a woman topray uncovered to god?

14. Does not nature itself tach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonour to him; but if a woman has long hair it is a glory to her? Bcauseher hair is given her instead of a headdress.

16. However, if a man seems to dispute for some other custom,we have no other, neither do the congregations of god.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1507571 wrote: There are dress issues and there are religions ritual practices. Some religious ritual practices are quite simply impossible to allow these days. We must no longer kill the king when the crops fail. We must no longer sacrifice infants to Moloch ?

WHAT?.......kill joy.

(Walks off to put the axe back into the shed).......
minks

Post by minks »

All in all does it not boil down to why in hades won't these people "integrate"?

If you don't like our culture, laws, beliefs etc, then don't move here???????

Here in Canada, our Royal Canadian Mounted Police had to allow the turban as part of the dress uniform??? WTF. We were Canadians first, and now we have to change??? This is just a wee sampling of what we have had to change to make others happy.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

minks;1507681 wrote: All in all does it not boil down to why in hades won't these people "integrate"?

Your turban-wearing RCMP gentlemen are Sikhs and I'm sure they're extremely integrated, they just happen to have their ancestral roots in Rajasthan where Sikhs happened instead of Berlin or Paris where they didn't. Wearing a turban is a consequence of being born a Sikh, it could happen to anyone. They are absolutely forbidden from having a haircut, to do that would be like a Christian burning a cross. Christians don't do that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
minks

Post by minks »

what gives them the right to change the face of our History and representation though?

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

In what way are they doing that. By wearing a turban?
minks

Post by minks »

we have had the status symbol of the RCMP since the dawn of Canadian settlement. Even the "native American people" who were on the force were not changing the "look". I understand we have to play nice and show that we are nice and that we accept everyone as equal. (well once we became bleeding hearts we now have native American people on the force with the ceremonial braids)

But honestly we have had others from all around the world enter this country to live and start new lives and none have forced change as much as (for lack of a better lumping of people) "brown folks" have.

I am not saying stay away, I am saying we have our symbols and status's here, why do they insist on changing these for themselves.

Ah I am growing to be an intolerant redneck who is fed up with kissing everyone's collective a$$ just to make them feel welcome in my homeland. What can I say.

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

A minor point of information: "1990 Solicitor General Pierre Cadieux gives ruling to allow Sikhs to wear turbans in the RCMP" - that's 27 years ago. You can scarcely remember anything before then, you were still at school.

Sixteen years before that they allowed women in for the first time. Did the women dress in the existing uniform? Should they have?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

They do now.
spot

Post by spot »

Ah.

Very good it looks on them, too.

Where was I? My argument seems to have evaporated.
minks

Post by minks »

spot you flatter me with the age thing ;P I am not so young as to not remember that change.

It is a uniform of status. Canadian pride and status. A standard. A uniform look, etc.

The women wore and wear skirts as that is part of the uniform, Pants have not always been proper for women to wear. A skirt is part of the status versus a religious statement.

What next rainbow caps to advertise sexual preference.

(tongue in cheek here)

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

minks;1507740 wrote: The women wore and wear skirts as that is part of the uniform, Pants have not always been proper for women to wear. A skirt is part of the status versus a religious statement.The Sikhs wore and wear turbans as they are forbidden as an article of faith to cut their hair, and their uncut hair needs to be managed. The turban itself is a practical solution versus a religious statement. There's no religious command that a Sikh should wear a turban. I don't think you could design anything more practical for outdoor wear when your hair is waist-length but if you did, Sikhs would happily wear it.
minks

Post by minks »

I'm confused,

what governs them to not cut their hair? If they can't cut their hair then why do we have to change our protocol on the job.

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

I can't get a job in certain industries because I have a visible tattoo, nobody changes protocol for me.

rolls eyes and giggles.

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

minks;1507744 wrote: what governs them to not cut their hair? If they can't cut their hair then why do we have to change our protocol on the job.

I noted the reason earlier in the thread: Sikhism is a recent faith invented by one person at one moment and that person chose to include, among several ritual demands, one relating to hair: "At the Amrit Sanchar in 1699, Guru Gobind Singh explained the reason for this: My Sikh shall not use the razor. For him the use of razor or shaving the chin shall be as sinful as incest". It's as arbitrary as the ten commandments are to Christians and Jews, but once it's been cast in stone it's unavoidable for all time.

As for why do we choose to adjust, the same reason as for skirts. Because we choose to be inclusionary. Would you rather women hadn't been allowed to join?
minks

Post by minks »

to put it bluntly

A turban was never a part of the uniform. Because they believe in their way does not mean they should change what we believe in our way.

Why is it forced upon me and my country to change to make everyone else happy?

I am slipping into generalizations now, but we here are throw rugs and we let everything be changed, and are slowly loosing our identity and our history and our culture for the sake of others....

I have rerouted this thread enough.

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

bah my edit post does not work,

further more you quote a belief..... plain and simple so there are many "beliefs" out there but they should not alter other peoples culture and protocol. And is a "belief" that different from religion, or cultisim?

If you wish to come to a new country to live, I believe it is respectful to integrate not force your ways upon others.

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

minks;1507754 wrote: I am slipping into generalizations now, but we here are throw rugs and we let everything be changed, and are slowly loosing our identity and our history and our culture for the sake of others.... I hesitate to join you in generalizing but were I to do so I might note that the First Nations could say much the same.

If you wish to come to a new country to live, I believe it is respectful to integrate not force your ways upon others.

Just so. Exactly.
minks

Post by minks »

I agree there spot

The first nations could.

And nobody has integrated into anything their way.

― Mae West
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1507682 wrote: Your turban-wearing RCMP gentlemen are Sikhs and I'm sure they're extremely integrated, they just happen to have their ancestral roots in Rajasthan where Sikhs happened instead of Berlin or Paris where they didn't. Wearing a turban is a consequence of being born a Sikh, it could happen to anyone. They are absolutely forbidden from having a haircut, to do that would be like a Christian burning a cross. Christians don't do that.
Ku-Klux-Klan do.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1507682 wrote: that would be like a Christian burning a cross. Christians don't do that.

spot

Post by spot »

Are they not absolutely forbidden from doing such a thing, if they are Christian? I refer the thread to the Gospel according to Saint Matthew, Chapter 5, focusing in particular at its final observations.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1507815 wrote: Are they not absolutely forbidden from doing such a thing, if they are Christian? I refer the thread to the Gospel according to Saint Matthew, Chapter 5, focusing in particular at its final observations.

Like all extremists, their "religion" is open to interpretation...their own.
spot

Post by spot »

Saint_;1507817 wrote: Like all extremists, their "religion" is open to interpretation...their own.

Nonsense. The content of the Gospel according to Saint Matthew, Chapter 5, makes it absolutely impossible for anyone who does not behave as directed in that chapter to be called a Christian either by themselves or by anybody else. The verses are commands, not requests. They are expressed as imperative statements.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1507818 wrote: Nonsense. The content of the Gospel according to Saint Matthew, Chapter 5, makes it absolutely impossible for anyone who does not behave as directed in that chapter to be called a Christian either by themselves or by anybody else. The verses are commands, not requests. They are expressed as imperative statements.

And the Koran is clear that murder is forbidden....doesn't seem to faze ISIS much, though...
spot

Post by spot »

Saint_;1507819 wrote: And the Koran is clear that murder is forbidden....doesn't seem to faze ISIS much, though...

I don't know sufficient Arabic to know what you've translated here as "murder", or "forbidden".

I've always considered the English word "murder" to mean deliberately killing a person in contravention of the law, for example, which (given the disgraceful legality of killing on command when serving with Her Majesty's Forces) drives a coach and four through any notion of religious clarity. That's why, I thought, the King James version states "thou shalt not kill", as opposed to thou shalt not murder.

As for the Koran, you have the better of me - I'm quite open to being told where it says it and what it says, though, if you have the patience.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

LOL! Well I'm certainly not an Islamic scholar, that's just what I've read in several articles. I'd look it up, but I can't even Google "Is m****r outlawed in the Koran" without the FBI, CIA, and the NSA wiretapping me. As a matter of fact, just typing the word "Koran" probably got me on a "No Fly List."
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

If you want to nit-pick, does it even mention much about the word "Murder" in either the Bible or the Qu'ran, or to define the difference between Killing & Murdering?
spot

Post by spot »

You're talking about a translation. Each translator has his own bias.

The translators who made the King James Version in English chose the word "murder" to distinguish deliberate killings using a weapon, for example. Murder is the word chosen for what assassins do, and for those whose victims are innocent - orphans are murdered when widows and strangers are merely slain, in one verse. Nobody in the KJV ever orders someone to murder another person, they always order someone to kill, presumably because they always imply that the order they're giving is lawful (so there's nothing new there, we still make the same use of language today).

Execute, in English, is a euphemism for killing in certain circumstances. In the KJV the only things ever to get executed were judgements. Many groups of people, as well as animals, are slaughtered - when applied to animals it's one animal, when it's people it emphasizes lots of deaths.

So yes, the KJV certainly uses kill and murder as two different words for two different circumstances. How much that reflects the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament, or the Greek text of the New Testament, I don't know because I don't know either of them. The same problem applies to the Qur'an - Arabic will have different words for different types of killing and I don't know them, or where they're used in the original. Translators making English versions of the book will have made judgements. Between languages there are no direct equivalents, there can only be approximations and compromises.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1507829 wrote: You're talking about a translation. Each translator has his own bias.

The translators who made the King James Version in English chose the word "murder" to distinguish deliberate killings using a weapon, for example. Murder is the word chosen for what assassins do, and for those whose victims are innocent - orphans are murdered when widows and strangers are merely slain, in one verse. Nobody in the KJV ever orders someone to murder another person, they always order someone to kill, presumably because they always imply that the order they're giving is lawful (so there's nothing new there, we still make the same use of language today).

Execute, in English, is a euphemism for killing in certain circumstances. In the KJV the only things ever to get executed were judgements. Many groups of people, as well as animals, are slaughtered - when applied to animals it's one animal, when it's people it emphasizes lots of deaths.

So yes, the KJV certainly uses kill and murder as two different words for two different circumstances. How much that reflects the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament, or the Greek text of the New Testament, I don't know because I don't know either of them. The same problem applies to the Qur'an - Arabic will have different words for different types of killing and I don't know them, or where they're used in the original. Translators making English versions of the book will have made judgements. Between languages there are no direct equivalents, there can only be approximations and compromises.
Actually, Execute simply means "to Carry Out". In the matter of Capital Punishment, to carry out the sentence of the Court (i.e. Death). Technically, to imprison someone is also an Execution. It's just that Execution has become the abbreviation of such phrases as "Execution of a Death Sentence".

Kill, Slay, Slaughter, or whatever term you choose to use are pretty generic. Murder specifically refers to killing with malice aforethought.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I think if you ALL go through your bibles youll find there are exceprions to the rule and ordained by god.

But as religions go you can kill masses of people Catholics go to Confession so are obsolved. Church of England believe the Crown is ordained by god so if you go against the crown you go against god and therefore your killing is permitted by god.

Or you can take the historical view of killing people is okay if a learned peeson states they are sub-human. Sub humans apparently dont have souls similar to animals.
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1507942 wrote: Church of England believe the Crown is ordained by god so if you go against the crown you go against god and therefore your killing is permitted by god.There's a rector down St Petherricks who'd better watch his back, if that's the case.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1507943 wrote: There's a rector down St Petherricks who'd better watch his back, if that's the case.

I wonder - is the state of being like a Rector classed as being Rectal?
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1508128 wrote: I wonder - is the state of being like a Rector classed as being Rectal?

Asking, possibly.

Perfectly good crossword clue, I'd say. "the state of being like a Rector": AS KING.

Return to “General Chit Chat”