Wotsit

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

Wotsit

Post by FourPart »

This is a structure in a woods near where I live. It is the subject of quite a bit of curiosity as to what it is. Does anyone have any ideas? Previous suggestions have included an Ice House, something war related, or even a shrine of some sort, but no-one seems to know for sure. attachment.php?attachmentid=42236&stc=1&d=1546091709 (Edit: I thought the glitches regarding removal of Line Breaks & Image Inserts / Advanced Editing had been fixed. Apparently not)

Attached files
LarsMac

Wotsit

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I would go with the "Shrine of some sort."

Perhaps the land once belonged to a monastery or something, before the days of the Reformation.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Wotsit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Too small for an Ice house and I'm not convinced that the bricks look right for a pre-reformation structure - a bit of privacy for the Victorian gamekeeper when he was caught short? :-)

There's a workaround for the editor line problem rather than a fix and that is to change to the standard editor in your setting rather than the advanced editor.
Ahso!

Wotsit

Post by Ahso! »

Housing to a statue?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Wotsit

Post by gmc »

Some kind of wartime structure? You don't say where you live but old brick wartime bunkers and air raid shelters can be found in most parts of the country in places where it is no longer immediately obvious why they would be built.
FourPart

Wotsit

Post by FourPart »

It's located in Westwood, on the boundary location between Weston & Netley (also the boundary between Southampton & Hampshire). On the other side of the road is the Southampton Water, facing across to the Fawley Oil Refinery. As can be seen by the dog, the scale of the thing means it is less than 1 metre high, so its purpose is fairly limited. It's certainly not big enough to get anyone into, and doesn't appear big enough, or suitably designed to house anything, yet it appears to have been constructed intact & obviously for a very specific purpose, which seems to elude everyone.
spot

Wotsit

Post by spot »

A coke oven, perhaps. For making coke on a small scale.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Wotsit

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1521760 wrote: It's located in Westwood, on the boundary location between Weston & Netley (also the boundary between Southampton & Hampshire). On the other side of the road is the Southampton Water, facing across to the Fawley Oil Refinery. As can be seen by the dog, the scale of the thing means it is less than 1 metre high, so its purpose is fairly limited. It's certainly not big enough to get anyone into, and doesn't appear big enough, or suitably designed to house anything, yet it appears to have been constructed intact & obviously for a very specific purpose, which seems to elude everyone.

Well, I'm sticking with my original guess. Perhaps more recent than the Reformation, though.

I see that sort of thing housing statues of various religious figures all the time.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Wotsit

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1521790 wrote: Well, I'm sticking with my original guess. Perhaps more recent than the Reformation, though.

I see that sort of thing housing statues of various religious figures all the time.

That was my chain of thought, as in a shrine.
spot

Wotsit

Post by spot »

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Wotsit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1521800 wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klondyke_Coke_Ovens

Surely far too small for that purpose
FourPart

Wotsit

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr;1521808 wrote: Surely far too small for that purpose

Also no sign of charring.
Clodhopper

Wotsit

Post by Clodhopper »

...not been able to get onto the site for a while. Don't know why except I associate it with problems we've all been having (so I gather)…

My guess is water. it's not pre-reformation - the bricks are too thick. It's Victorian probably and my guess is water related. Either there is/was a spring or a tap there, or piping associated with a tap, would be my guess.

edit: I'd say Edwardian rather than Victorian. It looks too fragile. But still guessing! :)

edit edit: The other thing is that shape is a pure Roman niche. They stuck statues, springs, you-name-it in niches that looked like that. Both Edwardians and Victorians used it as a sign of sophistication. This one is stuck out on its own. That looks like Edwardian showing off to me - either picnics or shooting parties.

nb: I am not certain about any of this. It's best guess.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bryn Mawr

Wotsit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1521812 wrote: ...not been able to get onto the site for a while. Don't know why except I associate it with problems we've all been having (so I gather)…

My guess is water. it's not pre-reformation - the bricks are too thick. It's Victorian probably and my guess is water related. Either there is/was a spring or a tap there, or piping associated with a tap, would be my guess.

edit: I'd say Edwardian rather than Victorian. It looks too fragile. But still guessing! :)

edit edit: The other thing is that shape is a pure Roman niche. They stuck statues, springs, you-name-it in niches that looked like that. Both Edwardians and Victorians used it as a sign of sophistication. This one is stuck out on its own. That looks like Edwardian showing off to me - either picnics or shooting parties.

nb: I am not certain about any of this. It's best guess.

Sounds good to me :-)

Could you detail your problems getting onto the site in the request for feedback thread?
Night Watchman

Wotsit

Post by Night Watchman »

FourPart;1521743 wrote: This is a structure in a woods near where I live. It is the subject of quite a bit of curiosity as to what it is. Does anyone have any ideas? Previous suggestions have included an Ice House, something war related, or even a shrine of some sort, but no-one seems to know for sure. attachment.php?attachmentid=42236&stc=1&d=1546091709 (Edit: I thought the glitches regarding removal of Line Breaks & Image Inserts / Advanced Editing had been fixed. Apparently not)

Here you go.

http://www.iwalkalone.co.uk/?p=42914
magentaflame

Wotsit

Post by magentaflame »

FourPart;1521743 wrote: This is a structure in a woods near where I live. It is the subject of quite a bit of curiosity as to what it is. Does anyone have any ideas? Previous suggestions have included an Ice House, something war related, or even a shrine of some sort, but no-one seems to know for sure. attachment.php?attachmentid=42236&stc=1&d=1546091709 (Edit: I thought the glitches regarding removal of Line Breaks & Image Inserts / Advanced Editing had been fixed. Apparently not)

Where exactly are you located geographically in this pic? It's an outdoor oven or opening to a larder ...how far did it go back into the mound behind it? Defo looks like a beehive oven though.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Wotsit

Post by FourPart »

magentaflame;1521873 wrote: Where exactly are you located geographically in this pic? It's an outdoor oven or opening to a larder ...how far did it go back into the mound behind it? Defo looks like a beehive oven though.

It's in here, in the middle of the woods, on the border of Weston & Netley, on the Southampton side of the Southampton Water:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.88266 ... 384!8i8192

The mass of earth behind it appears to be more a case of natural accumulation of debris over the years, rather than design. It doesn't go any further down than is seen, and there are no scorch marks as one would expect to see from any fires having been made inside.
G#Gill

Wotsit

Post by G#Gill »

Had anybody thought of digging around the base, particularly the front part, to just see how tall it actually is. The Easter Island Moai statues come to mind, when they dug down below the heads to find huge bodies ! Maybe a contact with the "Time Team" in the UK could make suggestions (useful ones) and maybe even come and have a look themselves ?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Return to “General Chit Chat”