human-eating lions in tanzania

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i did not realize the extent of this problem until i saw this article on CNN today. it seems lions killing people is quite a prevalent problem. ............Lion attacks in Tanzania up 300% in 15 years i was rather shocked to read the numbers since i tend to concern myself with shark attacks.
FJBear

Post by FJBear »

lady cop wrote: i did not realize the extent of this problem until i saw this article on CNN today. it seems lions killing people is quite a prevalent problem. ............Lion attacks in Tanzania up 300% in 15 years i was rather shocked to read the numbers since i tend to concern myself with shark attacks.

Surely this is linked to humans making the natural habitat of the lions smaller and smaller until the lions are so close to human villages that the local population end up on the menu.

A little like the urban fox. In some areas of the UK the fox have little alternative than to 'move in with us' in our cities. I am happy to note that the UK fox likes to eat our domistic cats and dogs a lot more then us - phew!
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

FJBear wrote: Surely this is linked to humans making the natural habitat of the lions smaller and smaller until the lions are so close to human villages that the local population end up on the menu.

A little like the urban fox. In some areas of the UK the fox have little alternative than to 'move in with us' in our cities. I am happy to note that the UK fox likes to eat our domistic cats and dogs a lot more then us - phew!

I would have to agree with you FJB.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

actually the article states the causes are several, not just human encroachment.
Okie

Post by Okie »

FJBear wrote: Surely this is linked to humans making the natural habitat of the lions smaller and smaller until the lions are so close to human villages that the local population end up on the menu.

Some places the babboons get too comfortable hunting food in town and become a danger. And bears too.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”