St. Davie's Day

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Bronwen

St. Davie's Day

Post by Bronwen »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... ndex.shtml

Saint David, or Davie, or Dewi Sant as he's called in the Welsh language, is the patron saint of Wales.

His influence is shown in the number of churches dedicated to him in Wales.

St David's Day is 1st March, and it's a day of celebration all over Wales.

St David Factfile

There aren't many facts about St David; but here are the only undisputed ones.

He really existed

He was at the heart of the Welsh church in the 6th century

He came from an aristocratic family in West Wales

His mother was a saint, Saint Non

His teacher was also a saint, St Paulinus

He founded a large monastery in West Wales

He was one of the early saints who helped to spread Christianity among the pagan Celtic tribes of Western Britain

He became Archbishop of Wales, but remained in his community at Menevia (now called St Davids)

He was active in supressing the Pelagian heresy

His shrine became a great place of pilgrimage; four visits to the shrine at St David’s was considered the equivalent of two to Rome, and one to Jerusalem!

The most famous story about Saint David tells how he was preaching to a huge crowd and the ground is said to have risen up, so that he was standing on a hill and everyone had a better chance of hearing him.

St David's Day has been a national festival in Wales since the 18th century, and is still marked with gusto.

Many people will wear either a daffodil or a leek, which are both symbols of Wales.

The other Welsh symbol, Y Ddraig Goch (the Red Dragon, Wales's national flag), will be flown on many more buildings than usual.

Concerts are held to mark the occasion, particularly male voice choirs.

[end of link]

Any Cymry (Welsh folks) here who can share with us how they celebrate the holiday? Is it as big an occasion in Wales as St. Patrick's Day is in Ireland?
memebias

St. Davie's Day

Post by memebias »

Any Cymry (Welsh folks) here who can share with us how they celebrate the holiday? Is it as big an occasion in Wales as St. Patrick's Day is in Ireland?

Not in North East Wales.
Bronwen

St. Davie's Day

Post by Bronwen »

Mem, do you live anywhere near Llandudno? There used to be a cable car line there called the Great Orme Railway or Tramway. Do you know if it's still in operation?
memebias

St. Davie's Day

Post by memebias »

Bronwen wrote: Mem, do you live anywhere near Llandudno? There used to be a cable car line there called the Great Orme Railway or Tramway. Do you know if it's still in operation?

It was operating last time I heard Bronwen (2005 holiday season). I go past Llandudno on the A55 usually once a week on my way to Bangor, but I don't get into the town itself.

Return to “Christianity”