This is a very interesting article on Christianity in the USA.

Discuss the Christian Faith.
gordonartist

Post by gordonartist »

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

The guy's argument is as biased as the people he's arguing against. He is obviously one that believes that if it's not the government doing the charity work, it isn't being done at all. In the US, charity is not the government's place. The author says we're in last place for gov't spending, then chastises us for only slightly increasing our individual giving, but never says where place for individual giving. Unless I'm mistaken, we're #1.

Then he leaves the impression that mega churches focus only on individual success and do absolutely nothing to help the poor, etc.

Had he given a balanced report, I might take his point more seriously. He very well might be 100% right, but iIt seems he's leaving out some very important information because it might weaken his stance.

Too bad.
Bronwen

Post by Bronwen »

gordonartist wrote: It's well worth a read.gordo, you're right, thanks for posting it.

I don't agree with much of it, but it's an interesting 'take' just the same.
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

I didn't read the entire article but, as an evangelical Christian, I think the author hits on something. There is definitely a "prosperity" doctrine that has become quite prevalent in the last 40 yrs and a material comfort level that has dulled the spiritual senses of most Christians today. We have become comfortable in our cushy pews and our self-help church programs. As the author said, there is nothing inherently wrong with those things but often that is as far as Christianity goes for a lot of people. They do their part in the choir or volunteer for Vacation Bible school and consider that a great sacrifice for Christ. While the author is correct that neighborhood churches are disappearing in favor of mega-churches, I can vouch for most congregations in my city that they are all involved in outreach of some sort to the poor, homeless, parentless, etc. Ministries to the homeless, to prisons, to old folks homes, to orphanages, to hospitals, to missions etc.....the list is endless. Christians have become more prosperous and more materialistic but they are still involved in outreach ministries and I think the author may have been a little unfair to suggest otherwise. The difference is they minister through church programs where 50 years ago they may have taken more personal initiative to see and need and react on their own. But crime and cultural changes have something to do with that also.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I cannot comment on the state of American churches or their members.

I can, however, state that what the author is writing is indeed a return to the Christianity of Jesus. He has hit the nail on the head as far as the teachings of Jesus are concerned.

Shalom

Ted:-6
abbey

Post by abbey »

Sorry for the diversion guys, just want to wish Ted a very happy easter.

HAPPY EASTER TED X
Ted

Post by Ted »

abbey:-6

And to you as well.

Shalom

Ted:-6

Return to “Christianity”