1st Southern Baptist church

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

I'm a member of the 1st Southern Baptist Church. I actually live on the grounds of where the church is. The Paastor is one of the nicest people in this universe. I have never felt so safe and even happy in my life. I've met so many awesome people at this church that I never want to leave the place. But eventually I will.

Is anyone familiar with southern Baptists?:D
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

We have a lovely Southern Baptist church down the street from us, they are very nice.:)
Jam02

Post by Jam02 »

I stay there as well....:-6

What a great place...
abbey

Post by abbey »

Sounds like a nice peaceful place to be Saffron, it's nice to see someone so happy with their life. :-6
abbey

Post by abbey »

Jam02 wrote: I stay there as well....:-6

What a great place...Welcome to FG Jam, hope you enjoy you stay with us. :)
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

It's always good to find a nice place with a good neighbourhood. Home is the most important place to feel safe in.
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

I was raised a Southern Baptist though I attend a different denomination now. Good folk.
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Well, that JAM person just got thrown out today, for threatening me, drinking and passing out on the pavement outside, and for basically being a jerk. The Pastor was there in the room with me when the guy will who does the bible study threw him out. :driving:
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
Valerie100

Post by Valerie100 »

Yes, I've gone to the First Baptist Church in downtown Jacksonville. They're huge, televised and have singles groups and different groups for different stages of peoples lives. It is a very nice church!
Lon

Post by Lon »

Saffron wrote: I'm a member of the 1st Southern Baptist Church. I actually live on the grounds of where the church is. The Paastor is one of the nicest people in this universe. I have never felt so safe and even happy in my life. I've met so many awesome people at this church that I never want to leave the place. But eventually I will.

Is anyone familiar with southern Baptists?:D

Seriously, is there a 2nd and 3rd Baptist Church?
Lon

Post by Lon »

When I was 10 years old my grandmother had me baptised a Southern Bapist in the Platte River----brrrrr. Then at 12 I had an aunt that had me baptised a Methodist and later on I was baptised a Presbyterian. I was a kid that just wanted to make everyone happy and went along.
Ted

Post by Ted »

lon:-6

Interesting. I'm sure you know that once is enough. But hey maybe more takes better. LOL

Shalom

Ted:-6
downag

Post by downag »

Lon wrote: Seriously, is there a 2nd and 3rd Baptist Church?

LON;

When a local congregation organizes, they often make claim to being the "first of "their" denomination to do so in a specific locale, hence they call themselves

"1st Baptist" etc.

Go to most any large city and you may find 2nd's and 3rd's.

d:-5
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Lon wrote: Seriously, is there a 2nd and 3rd Baptist Church?
I don't know.

But they Baptized 4 people last night. It was actually funny.

I was Baptized when I was a baby. And I don't see why I need to do it again. But they say that we should. I'm not gonna.
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
downag

Post by downag »

Saffron,

You were never Baptised as a baby. The people who sprinkled you called it Baptism, but it does not jive with the illustration of Baptism in the Bible.

First they believed, then they were baptised. You never chose to be baptised, hence, you haven't followed the Lord in obedience.

A baby cannot believe anything. A baby cannot hear and understand what is being taught him/her about the Bible.

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

downag wrote: Saffron,

You were never Baptised as a baby. The people who sprinkled you called it Baptism, but it does not jive with the illustration of Baptism in the Bible.

First they believed, then they were baptised. You never chose to be baptised, hence, you haven't followed the Lord in obedience.

A baby cannot believe anything. A baby cannot hear and understand what is being taught him/her about the Bible.

Down our way they baptise you as a baby to make you part of the Church - to give the congregation a responsibility to you. Then, when you're old enough to know for yourself, you chose to be confirmed into the congregation.

This does not make either tradition invalid, just different.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Bryn Mawr:-6

Actually there is some evidence that traces infant baptism back to the disciples. I have no idea what it is as I have not persued it. I don't need to bother. It is not an issue for me. There are so many other important things to worry about in this world.

downag finds it difficult to accept that others don't think as he does. He just can't get his head or something around that.

Shalom

downag

Post by downag »

No problem Ted and Bryn;

You guys have a ball doing what you're doing. I love to see the words of the Bible fulfilled, just like what you espouse.

You make the "word of God" of NO EFFECT by your traditions.

Do it your way. Not how God showed you.
Bronwen

Post by Bronwen »

downag wrote: You were never Baptised as a baby. The people who sprinkled you called it Baptism, but it does not jive with the illustration of Baptism in the Bible.

First they believed, then they were baptised. You never chose to be baptised, hence, you haven't followed the Lord in obedience.down, statements like that are very offensive to members of denominations who baptize infants, which is to say, most of Christianity.

Jesus Christ gave his apostles and their successors the keys to the kingdom of heaven, and the power to 'bind and loose'. That would certainly include the authority to decide how Baptism should be administered. Infant Baptism is well-documented back to the earliest days of the Church. Christ said, 'Let the little children come unto me, and forbid them not.'

Also, I know of very few denominations who baptize by sprinkling, nor would I guess that you could even name one. The requirements in the Catholic Church, as well as in many Protestant denominations, are that Baptism be performed with FLOWING water, which would include immersion and pouring but not sprinkling, and in the name of the Trinity. There is no differentiation between infants and adults, except that the former are represented by their godparents.

Most of these same Churches confirm adolescents, which corresponds somewhat to the adult Baptism of those denoms which do NOT baptize infants, and also, of course, to bar/bat mitzvah in Judaism. To claim that a Christian who was baptized as an infant and willingly confirmed later has 'not followed the Lord in obedience' is really quite outrageous.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

downag wrote: No problem Ted and Bryn;

You guys have a ball doing what you're doing. I love to see the words of the Bible fulfilled, just like what you espouse.

You make the "word of God" of NO EFFECT by your traditions.

Do it your way. Not how God showed you.

Personally I see nowhere in the Bible where it says that you may only baptize adults or that you may not baptize children - I'd be interested the know otherwise.

Indeed, the Bible speaks of several types of baptism and treats them as equally valid.

In what way do you see the traditional baptism of children as making the word of God of no effect? Is it *that* weak?

If it helps you to see Confirmation as the true baptism of the believer and the cooing over the baby as a nonsense to pasify the parents then by all means do so - at the end of the day a member is baptised into the congregation as a consenting adult knowing what (s)he is about.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Bronwen:-6

Being offensive does not seem to bother downag. It clearly shows in the comments he makes, such as that concerning baptism, and in his personal attacks and name calling such as liar. Be that as it may it does show what one is dealing with. He is clearly showing everyone what he is about. Not at all impressive.

What can you do?

Shalom

downag

Post by downag »

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

How did this thread turn into an argument?:wah: :thinking: