downag's apocalypse

Discuss the Christian Faith.
spot

downag's apocalypse

Post by spot »

SnoozeControl wrote: I hope you'll be carrying one of those statues during your stay in London.:rolleyes:It is a proven scientific fact that you can only catch the clap if you do it indoors, you know.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
downag

downag's apocalypse

Post by downag »

spot wrote: I'm not sure yet - I still haven't grasped the use of "so" in "used to say "Where there's foo there's fire," so someone nicknamed the craft Foo Fighters". Why "so"? Where's the linkage?

spot:

According to a website about Smoker Stover (a fireman), it first appeared in 1935 in the Chicago Tribune. It was a zaney cartoon and Smokey's "two wheeled" firetruck had the name "FOO" placed attop the grillwork on the front above the radiator grid. The use of the term "FOO" caught on in popular usage for things zaney. It appeared on menus, lists, and the "lips" of different characters in the strip at random but frequent intervals. It was just a part of "popular" culture.

A pilot in a private airplane flying over the mountains in Washington state first used the term Flying Saucer recorded in his official account of his siting and it just caught on, like FOO did.

The author of the Smokey strip said he first found the word inscribed on the bottom of a Chinese figurine.

Take a look see! http://www.toonopedia.com/smokey.htm

d:-5
Bronwen

downag's apocalypse

Post by Bronwen »

spot wrote: Saint Elmo is traditionally the patron saint of lovers. Handling his statue was for centuries the only known remedy for the clap (or "Saint Elmo's fire" as it was known in those days), until the mercury treatment came along around 1860.You're kidding, right? St. Elmo is the patron saint of sailors and St. Elmo's fire is ball lightning.

There is a section of Chattanooga, Tennessee named St. Elmo, and from there you can take a cable incline to the top of Lookout Mountain. Highly recommended.
downag

downag's apocalypse

Post by downag »

Just some YADA;

Have any of you ever seen the classic movie, "Moby Dick" starring Gregory Peck as Capt. Ahab? There is a scene where their ship's masts and arms are covered in an ethreal (sp?) glow and someone states about it being St. Elmo's Fire. The glowing "plasma" (?) is even transferred to a harpoon being held up by a sailor.

Was that a correct depiction?

d:-5
spot

downag's apocalypse

Post by spot »

downag wrote: Was that a correct depiction?It was, and Bronwen called me right.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

downag's apocalypse

Post by spot »

sixyearsleft wrote: Do none of you understand the meaning of a cicle forever turning?

think more deeply about that, than names and dates...It seems to me that this is finally a fruitful way for us to come to some mutual comprehension.

No, I can't imagine any cycle forever turning. It goes completely against every single thing I ever learned in all of my education, and everything I ever experienced. The word "Carnot" springs to mind in this context.

Would you like to give an example of where I could observe or experience such a cycle?
spot

downag's apocalypse

Post by spot »

sixyearsleft wrote: The flood:-6You know, I may be singularly dense, but I had understood that " I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth." - Genesis 9.

In what way is the flood cyclical?
spot

downag's apocalypse

Post by spot »

sixyearsleft wrote: There is proof,:-6 you have to look for it, the earth has flooded several times, pointless quoting genisis i've read the original sumerian one:-6Go on, dig a little deeper - in what way is the Sumerian one "better" in terms of proof?

What do you mean by a flood anyway, if we're going to get involved in "proof"? A local event over a few hundred square miles? A continent? The planet? What gets me about this sort of "There is proof, you have to look for it" is the utter vagueness of the words, the lack of definition, the unwillingness to cite available sources, the lack of any transfer of information. What's the point of your saying something in so cryptic a fashion? Why the hell do I have to try so hard to dig anything out of you, when I don't believe there's anything to dig in the first place?
spot

downag's apocalypse

Post by spot »

sixyearsleft wrote: Whats the point if you dont want to believe it?

if you want to know, you will discover it for yourself, instead of asking.Why on earth does all this invariably come down to "believe"? What has faith to do with ANY of this? Nothing in this thread relates to faith or belief, it relates to establishable fact or reasonable inference. If you wish to state fact, establish it. If you wish to imply, give reasons. Stop preaching!
spot

downag's apocalypse

Post by spot »

sixyearsleft wrote: Nothing in this thread relates to anything, how deep do you want to go spot?Shall we call that your "enigmatic response"? We keep seeing it, I don't know what "deep" means in your particular vocabulary. Saint Paul used it as a technical term. If, on the other hand, by deep you mean analytical, then let's head for the bottom, I can do analytical so long as I have some facts to analyse. I ask you for information, I get no facts. You ask me questions and they're suggestive of immense spiritual understanding but allow no meaningful response on my part. I think you use it as a formula to avoid specifics.

Rather than ignore it, how about you produce a single sensible non-enigmatic answer to:

What do you mean by a flood anyway, if we're going to get involved in "proof"? A local event over a few hundred square miles? A continent? The planet?
spot

downag's apocalypse

Post by spot »

sixyearsleft wrote: I will not give you data, look for yourself, how clear can i be? am i missing something, again your words are fancyfull, they make me laugh:-6 (in a good way) i mean, metioning the once jewish then Roman creator of a new world religion, very sweet...The problem with refusing to say what you mean is that there are so many alternative things you could mean, and I listed them. I have looked myself. I can find stories of world floods, I can find stories of continental floods, I can find stories of local floods - how can I guess which you mean? The data is out there, I can see all three sets, I have no idea which is in your mind.

When you instance "the flood" as an example of a cyclical event, do you mean a local flood, a continental scale flood or a world scale flood? All of them? None of them?
spot

downag's apocalypse

Post by spot »

sixyearsleft wrote: Man! of course i mean a world flood, stop playing games, are you serious? this a thread entitled downag's apocalypse.. i'm sure Downag will fill you in on the details..

I am who i am stop enticing me tirelessly in to nonsencicle claptrap, i'm reaching out to you, but it's impossible, i give up:(I would not have asked, you demented moron, if the answer had been either implied earlier or obvious from the context. It's a safe bet that if I ask a question it's that I don't know the answer and I'm seeking clarification. Was it so hard to type "i mean a world flood" that you prefered all this strip-tease farrago instead, before we get down to knowing?

Return to “Christianity”