Feeling Drawn towards the church

Discuss the Christian Faith.
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

I don't know how to put this really, but ever since both my parents died four years ago, I have had this "yearning" to find out more about god and the church.

It's weird really, because previously to my parents death, I didn't used to believe in god or the church.

I have had a lot of badluck in the last five years and I wonder more and more if the church and god is the answer. I just don't know where to start or where to look first forn answers. Help!!
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
minks

Post by minks »

woppy71 wrote: I don't know how to put this really, but ever since both my parents died four years ago, I have had this "yearning" to find out more about god and the church.

It's weird really, because previously to my parents death, I didn't used to believe in god or the church.

I have had a lot of badluck in the last five years and I wonder more and more if the church and god is the answer. I just don't know where to start or where to look first forn answers. Help!!
A chat with the minister at the church nearest you?

Far would be a good person to chat to about this, his father is a minister. Check it out with him upon his return.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Ted

Post by Ted »

woppy71

I can tell you what I found. In my faith, which is not fundamentalist, I have found a great deal of peace and comfort to say nothing about the phenomenal experience of worshipping with and enjoying both faith issues as well as social interaction with a tremendous group of people.

Some are comfortable with the fundamentalist approach and some like myself are not happy with that approach and prefer a more open and liturgical approach. You will, perhaps, have to attend at both types to understand what you would be most comfortable with. The more educated clergy generally take a less literal approach concerning the Bible whereas the more fundamentalist clergy see the Bible as the literal, inerrant word of God.

Part of the difference is in the education required by the particular church. Some require that their clergy have a great deal of university education and others are content with their clergy having a Bible School education only. You and you alone can decide what is best for you.

Blessings in your search and may you indeed find the peace of Christ if that is the route you choose. If you choose another route such as Islam or Buddhism then may you find in one of them the peace and answers that you seek.

If you have any questions I would be pleased to answer them. Check withothers as well to find out what best suits you.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

woppy71 wrote: I don't know how to put this really, but ever since both my parents died four years ago, I have had this "yearning" to find out more about god and the church.

Don't look here for that kind of help. Too much turbulence for a seeker. First pray and ask to find that which you seek. Walk your local streets & shops. Visit a few local churches. You'll find someone with an indefinable "glow" about them. Talk to them.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Actually I agree with much of what Acc. has posted with one exception. I do think there are many fine folks here who can help. Such help is outside of discussion and debate and thus should not be subjected to debate. It will however present a wide varitey of styles to consider.

As I have said though, I think the advice Acc. has given is indeed good advice.

Shalom

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

My advice is to get a Bible if you do not already have one, and begin to read it. Pray to God, tell Him how it is with you.

Tell Him just like you wrote it down here.

Look around your neighborhood for churches, and begin to visit them. Doesn't always have to be a Sunday visit, it could be during smaller gatherings during the week.
telaquapacky

Post by telaquapacky »

I think God would like you to be drawn first to Him, and get to know Him better before looking for a church. Learn to pray to Him like you are talking to your best friend, but with respect due to the King of the Universe. Read the Bible with the "preconceived notions" that the Bible is a rock of reliable truth, that God is only good and sin is only bad, that He always knows best even if we don't understand, and that His intentions for us are only for our long term best happiness, even if He allows us to pass through some rough spots in the meanwhile. In other words, learn to trust in Him and discover His will and desire it even if it doesn't seem so desirable at first.

I believe that the most important function of a church is to serve as a support group to strengthen you in your own personal relationship with God. If you are more attracted to a church and it's personalities, and the show it puts on- than to a personal relationship with God, it seems to me like putting the cart before the horse.
Look what the cat dragged in.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

telaquapacky wrote: I think God would like you to be drawn first to Him, and get to know Him better before looking for a church. Learn to pray to Him like you are talking to your best friend, but with respect due to the King of the Universe. Read the Bible with the "preconceived notions" that the Bible is a rock of reliable truth, that God is only good and sin is only bad, that He always knows best even if we don't understand, and that His intentions for us are only for our long term best happiness, even if He allows us to pass through some rough spots in the meanwhile. In other words, learn to trust in Him and discover His will and desire it even if it doesn't seem so desirable at first.

[...]
This parallels my view that we need to look to God like a toddler looks to his Dad. I believe even Jesus said we have to approach with the faith of a child.
telaquapacky

Post by telaquapacky »

Accountable wrote: This parallels my view that we need to look to God like a toddler looks to his Dad. I believe even Jesus said we have to approach with the faith of a child.Well put, buddy!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

woppy71 wrote:

Don't just use the Church as a crutch to change your luck but if you genuinely want to find out more then do a Google on "alpha course" and find the local centre - they'll help.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Bryn Mawr:-6

Excellent suggestion.

Shalom

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

While I am no longer a church-goer myself, I have to agree with checking out several churches around you. Check them all out. Don't bother looking at the "title" of the religion, just visit. Go back to ones you feel comfortable in. Give yourself every opportunity to explore all your avenues, of which there are many.

I myself do not like organized religions, but that's just for me. For others, it is a way of life. Satisfy, if nothing else, your curiosity.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

downag

Post by downag »

woppy;

Get a Bible that you can easily read first. I started with a New World Translation (although it is a Jehovah's Witness" publication, it's English is really quite easy to read and understand). Deeper study can be made using a King James Version with the help of a Strong's Exhaustive Concordence. Get rooted in the word of God first, then go looking for interpretations as helps but by no means let anyone make you think you cannot rely wholey upon the simple word of God.

Let God lead you to what to believe through prayer and quiet time (sitting still and contemplating the words you read). Then go looking for a church you can stand to fellowship with. Put God first always, not the church.

d:-5
Ted

Post by Ted »

woppy:-6

The NWT translation is not a recognized translation because the writiers chose to write whatever best suited the JW theology and not to rely on the accuracy of translation. It is a cooked translation.

There are several good, recognized translations that try to remain faithful to the original.

The problem with the KJV is that it contains some 20 000 translation errors some minor and some major.

Shalom

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Thus my comment about too much turbulence here.
downag

Post by downag »

To clarify what I said;

I stated that I started with a New World Translation. That was over 27 years ago. I don't even own one today, preferring an Authorized King James Version with the aid of a Strong's as I recommended.

Still, the NWT is easy English for the beginner and the "Gospels" come through without distraction.

Ted, I sat with three different versions on my lap reading one then referring to the others to compare. The NWT is fine for everyone except someone going deep, which is not germain to woppy's needs at the moment.

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ted wrote:

The NWT translation is not a recognized translation because the writiers chose to write whatever best suited the JW theology and not to rely on the accuracy of translation. It is a cooked translation.

There are several good, recognized translations that try to remain faithful to the original.

The problem with the KJV is that it contains some 20 000 translation errors some minor and some major.

What do you make of the New English Bible?

That's the one they started me with and the English appears to be fairly accessable.
downag

Post by downag »

Bryn,

I wouldn't ask anyone about that. That is only for you to decide for yourself. If God speaks to you through it, good for you.

Ted, are you ready to fess up? You lied about the definition of MIDRASH. It is not a writing style. You like to spread confusion it seems, and you even have the young ones asking your opinion now.

You all have seen how Ted works and how he continually brings up this MIDRASH idea. Well here is the definition of MIDRASH from an internet dictionery.

Midrash (mĭd`räsh) [Heb.,=to examine, to investigate], verse by verse interpretation of Hebrew Scriptures, consisting of homily and exegesis, by Jewish teachers since about 400 B.C. Distinction is made between Midrash halakah halakah or halacha (both: hälä`khä, häläkhä`) [Heb.,=law], in Judaism, the body of law regulating all aspects of life, including religious ritual, familial and personal status, civil relations, criminal law, and relations with non-Jews.

..... Click the link for more information. , dealing with the legal portions of Scripture, and Midrash haggada, dealing with biblical lore. Midrashic exposition of both kinds appears throughout the Talmud Talmud (tăl`məd) [Aramaic from Heb.,=learning], in Judaism, vast compilation of the Oral Law with rabbinical elucidations, elaborations, and commentaries, in contradistinction to the Scriptures or Written Laws.

..... Click the link for more information. . Individual midrashic commentaries were composed by rabbis after the 2d cent. A.D. up to the Middle Ages, and they were mostly of an aggadic nature, following the order of the scriptural text. Important among them are the Midrash Rabbah, a collection of commentaries on the Torah and the Five Scrolls (the Song of Songs, Esther, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes), and the Pesikta Midrashim, concerning the festivals. This body of rabbinic literature contains the earliest speculative thought in the Jewish tradition

You see that "midrash" speaks to a body of "Rabbincal writings and not the scripture themselves. But Ted seeks to deceive.

The Lord rebuke thee, Teddy ole boy!

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

downag wrote: Bryn,

I wouldn't ask anyone about that. That is only for you to decide for yourself. If God speaks to you through it, good for you.

Ted, are you ready to fess up? You lied about the definition of MIDRASH. It is not a writing style. You like to spread confusion it seems, and you even have the young ones asking your opinion now.

Good God! It's a century or so since anybody desribed me thus :)

I have my own opinion but I'm always interested in knowing that of others.
telaquapacky

Post by telaquapacky »

Feeling drawn toward the church? Maybe it's their big magnet and the change in your pocket.
Ted

Post by Ted »

downag:-6

You have accused me of lying. Excuse me but I have prided myself all of my life in speaking the truth. In fact during my career my supervisors used to call on me when they wanted a straight answer. Once again you spout off on something about which you do not know. You look up a definition that fits todays situation and think you have done wonders.

Once again you have shown what you are by what you have posted. You have engaged in a personal attack once more.

The modern definition is not what the ancient definition was. (Professor Michael Goulder, and Bishop John Spong are both experts on midrash). I could add other names but would be wasting my time.

No sir I have not lied but I wouldn't dare write what is going through my head right now. Get a life.

Sorry about the sun glasses. They come with the picture.
Ted

Post by Ted »

What next? Are you going st start calling my wife or my mother names as well? As I said before I've had grade 5 classes who understood putdowns and why they were used. There theory was that they were used when someone had run out of other things to say and just wanted to "get even". They also realized that they came from the child within each of us.

Sorry about the sunglasses "downaggy ole boy". They come with the picture.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Bryn Mawr:-6

I have several idffierent Bibles. However, the one I use most is the "New Revised Standard Version". I use this because it is the one most recommended, here in Canada, by those in the scholarly field.

I also make use of both a Hebrew OT and a Greek NT. It can be helpful at times.

Shalom

downag

Post by downag »

Prove that the modern definition is different from the old usage Ted.

I got you and now you should run and hide.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Pure BS

"Liberating the Gospels" by J. S. Spong? Do you need a page reference? No look it up for yourself.

You might also look up works by Michael Goulder.

I know of no other Christians that run around calling people a liar. That is nothing more then childish name calling.

Shalom

downag

Post by downag »

Ted, I will let God be true and every man a liar.

God said that things in his word would be "sealed up" until the end. These people you refers to are no better than someone who has no Bible knowledge at all, since they cast no light, but only smoke it up, causing more confusion, which you demonstrate.

Ted, you say there is "no Devil", that the idea of him is a "myth". That is a lie, ergo, making you a spreader of a lie, or another "liar".

You know of no other Christians calling anyone a liar? You haven't read much then Ted. How many protestants were murdered for calling Roman priests liars? The reformation was all about truth rebounding over lies.

To imagine current popular teaching is anything except furtherence of the lies of the past to confuse the masses in preperation for the appearing of the "man of sin" is crazy.

You keep being a man pleaser, Ted, misery loves company.

downtown

Post by downtown »

Follow your instinct!

Return to “Christianity”