Temping at Kaiser

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Saffron

Temping at Kaiser

Post by Saffron »

OMG! I have been working thru an agency that I really love. They have signed me up to work temp assignments at Kaiser Hospital. First I had to go thru a 10 day TB testing before they could send me out on any job assignments. So the first assignment was in the Administrative Dept. covering desks for people who go to vacation. One of the desks on the 2nd week was the Admin assistant to the Senior Vice President of Kaiser (a woman). They pay was $15 per hour.:)

So this last Monday, 2 days ago, I was sent to another Kiaser that was much further away (an hour drive) and it was another Admin Assistant position paying $16 per hour. the girl who was supposed to be training me was another temp who was hoping to get promoted to another job there and get hired. But all she really wanted to do was chat with me about how wonderful she was and her life. So I was not being trained. Then the woman who was supposed to be my boss was angry and had a type A personality. On the first morning there I was sent up to the Employee HEalth dept. to see if I had passed my health screening and TB test (which I had already done).. But it turns out that I was not immune to mumps. So I was told to leave, until I go and get a mumps shot. I should have ended the assignment then, since I was never told about needing to get a mumps shot. But instead I took 2 hours to drive over to my school and get a shot (which hurt like a bitch). But before I left the manager (who was supposed to be my boss, who I had never even met) called me and browbeat me over the phone about how I got into Kaiser without a mumps shot. So I told her curtly, "you need to talk to the agency about that". She was rude and offensive.:-1

The next day was a little better, (yesterday) except that the girl who was training me did not like my "open-toe shoes" and wanted to drive over to the thrift store so I could by a pair of shoes. So we did. It took an hour, and I could not take a lunch when I got back. She said I couldn't as it was on their time. This was not good. As I had to go into a 3 hour meeting and take minutes (notes). By the end of the 3 hours I was wanting to get out of that horrible place and never come back. I did not even feel like a human being.

:-1

So this morning I almost didn't go to work, until my man woke me up at 6. If it wasn't for him, I think I would have called in sick.

I had already called the agency and told them about the mumps fiasco and the shoe problem. But when I left there last night without being able to eat all day. I pretty much told the girl at the agency that I could not work there if they did not even have the sensitivity to other human beings to let me eat lunch. And she asked me if I wanted her to send me to a new assignment. I said yes, but that I would try to stay for the remainder of the week.

So I was in a very bad mood this morning when this girl who was training me (Margaret) got to work. I got there early as usual. First she spent about 20 minutes "showing me around" even though I had been there for 2 days already. And she introduced me to doctors and other people telling then that I was going to be her "replacement" as a dept. secretary, and that she was moving "upstairs" to her new position. IT was very irritating. She even re-introduced me to a few people. At one point she must have noticed how I looked weird and confused and asked me "Are you okay' so I said "well, I'm starting to worry that you aren't training me on my job. And instead you are introducing me around every day. You don't need to introduce me to everyone. I just need to learn my job first." But she didn't get it. Instead, she said, "well you will be supporing all of these people" Then I was really stunned. As I had been told that I would be "supporting" only the manager. (who was rude) I told her that if I was going to work there that I needed to eat , to take a lunch and 2 breaks. And she flippantly said that I should be the one to know when I needed to eat. So I told the bitch that I did not eat all day the day before, and that I could not eat before the 3 hour meeting, so I was very tired. And that I almost didn't come in this morning from exhaustion and being angry about that. I also told her that I was going to try and see if I like it here, but at the end of the week, I may ask to be placed at a different assignment. (I had already asked the day before though). I also said that the manager who I was supposed to be "supporting" as my job was supposed to be her secretary, was very rude and that she had not been nice to me in the 2 conversations I had with her, the first day I was there and the 2nd day. And that I noticed her being rude to another female employee yesterday during the meeting. And that if she tried to talk to me that way, that I would tell her to stop it. After that conversation with her, she got very subdued and pretty much stopped talking to me. Even though she was supposed to be training me.

So I tried to make it work, but as soon as the manager got into her office, I went on break and called the agency and said to end my assignment that day. She said she already had 2 jobs for me. So I told her I'd try to finish the day out. But when I went back to our office, the bitch who was training me, had just gone into the manager. So she came in and told me she was going to "cut this training short". I said "you want me to leave, great". And I pulled out my time card and gave it to her. She was no doubt waiting for me to throw a fit, but I didn't. It was a huuuuge relief knowing that I was leaving that horrible place. But she had the nerve to say "are you okay"? I just said, "if you could please sign my time card, I can leave." So she took the time card into the manager, who was apparently not feeling well and was "in the bathroom not feeling well", as she put it. Then she said I needed to bring back my parking permit. I said "no I am not going to do that, I am not going to walk all the way back over here to give you my parking permit." She didn't have my time card, so I said "well I guess I have to leave without my time card". And I walked out.

:-5

I am going to another Kaiser job this Monday that is closer, but pays 4 dollars less.
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
BabyRider

Temping at Kaiser

Post by BabyRider »

Honestly, Saff....I think you need to find a new agency altogether. Just my opinion, though. What an utter nightmare.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Temping at Kaiser

Post by Bryn Mawr »

BabyRider wrote: Honestly, Saff....I think you need to find a new agency altogether. Just my opinion, though. What an utter nightmare.

That sounds like a GOOD agency - didn't try to force Saffron to stay and immediately offered her another post.

They all get a bum outfit occasionally, it's how they look after their workers when it happens that counts.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Temping at Kaiser

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeControl wrote: er... I didn't think the job sounded that bad, actually. Kaiser would be a good place to be picked up permanently too.

The Kaiser jobs sound fine - put that together with good people and you'd be laughing
Saffron

Temping at Kaiser

Post by Saffron »

Yes I do think that Kaiser would be a good place to be hired on permanently. But I haven't found that feeling of what I call the "warm and fuzzy" feeling that I have felt at other companies.....yet. But the agency is the best I have ever worked for. And they (the girl named Alicia) was really there for me. Especially when I needed a quick temp assignment. Sometimes, between assignments at Kaiser, they send me to a company where I stuff envelopes for $9 an hour. Once I worked for 4 days doing that.

thanks for all the replies. I am hopeful.:(
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
cherandbuster

Temping at Kaiser

Post by cherandbuster »

Good luck Saff:)

We're here to suffer with you . . .

. . . and celebrate with you as well!
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Saffron

Temping at Kaiser

Post by Saffron »

Well it seems I am off this week, as they have not called me back to work yet. They said last week that they want to send me to a nearby Kaiser for a data entry job, that is 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. And now since it is a "slow week" with the 4th of July, I may not even work all week.

My last assignment didnt work out. But it was okay. I didn't like the place or the rate of pay. I really hope to go back to Kiaser soon.

In the meantime I applied for a desk clerk at a hotel where 2 friends work.
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
CARLA

Temping at Kaiser

Post by CARLA »

Kaiser would be a great place to work the pay is excellent I will keep my fingers crossed for you..:cool:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “Work Employment”