Universalists Unitarians

RedGlitter

Universalists Unitarians

Post by RedGlitter »

Are there any Universalists or Unitarians in the Garden or anyone who knows about them who could explain to me (in plain English) what they both believe and are about and the differences between the two? Thank you. :)
Accountable

Universalists Unitarians

Post by Accountable »

They're separate groups?
Accountable

Universalists Unitarians

Post by Accountable »

I got this from wikipedia:

Universalist:

In comparative religion, universalism is the belief that true and valuable insights are available in many of the religious traditions which have grown up in various human cultures. It posits that a spiritually aware person will respect religious traditions other than his own and will be open to learning from them. It does not deny that immersion in one tradition is a useful anchor for an individual's spiritual development. While it celebrates the richness and value to be found among humankind's religious traditions, it does not necessarily deny that some things done in the name of religion, and some religious practices, are not constructive. But it distinguishes itself from the view that there is only one true faith, one uniquely chosen people, or one final prophet superseding all others. The name Universalist refers to certain religious denominations of universalism, which as a core principle adhere to standards and rituals which are convergent rather than divergent, often espousing themselves as alternatives to denominations based on dogmatic or factionalized differences;

A universal religion is one that holds itself true for all people and thus allows anyone to join, regardless of their ethnicity. In contrast, ethnic religions, like ethnicity itself, can be determined not just by genealogy, but by geography, language, and other social boundaries. In that sense Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism are universal religions, whereas Sikhism, Druze, and Judaism are ethnic religions. However, Judaism may also be considered universal, since there is no requirement for non-Jews to convert, only for them to follow the Noahide Laws. Contrast with Chosen people. Hinduism is also typically an "ethnic" religion, but converts will be able to be re-socialized into this system.

Within Christianity, Universalism, universal reconciliation, or universal salvation, is the doctrine that all will be saved;

Universalism is also used as a synonym for moral universalism, as a compromise between moral relativism and moral absolutism.

Universalism can also mean the wish for a closer union between all people of the world (the emergence of world citizens) and/or the aim of creating common global institutions (democratic globalization).

=============

Unitarian:

Historic Unitarianism believed in the oneness of God as opposed to Christian doctrine of the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) proclaimed at the Council of Nicaea in 325 CE. Historic Unitarians believed in the moral authority, but not the deity, of Jesus. Unitarians are characterized by some as being identified through history as free thinkers and dissenters, evolving their beliefs in the direction of rationalism and humanism.

The flaming chalice, symbol of the Unitarian Universalist Association.

Throughout the world, many Unitarian congregations and associations belong to the International Council of Unitarians and Universalists. In the United States and Canada many Unitarians are Unitarian Universalist or UU, reflecting an institutional consolidation between Unitarianism and Universalism. Today, most Unitarian Universalists do not consider themselves Christians, even if they share some beliefs quite similar to those of mainstream Christians.[1] There is a small percentage of Unitarian Universalists who have a Christian-centric belief system.

=============

Unitarian Universalist Association:

The Principles of the Unitarian Universalist Association "We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote"
The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;

Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part."The living tradition which we share draws from many sources:"
Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;

Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;

Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;

Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;

Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.

Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature."Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So from what I can understand in this short crash course:

Universalists believe that every religion is valid - that we are all one.

Unitarians worship God and follow many of Christ's teachings, but are not Christian and do not believe Jesus was the Messiah.I can see how this might resonate with people, but it seems too wishy washy for me. Of course, I'm from Deep South Bible Thumper Land. :p
Ted

Universalists Unitarians

Post by Ted »

Accountable:-6

Excellent post.

I guess since I consider myself a Christian pluralist I would fit more into the universalist fold. Perhaps I should call myself a Christian univeralist? Interesting.

Shalom

Ted
RedGlitter

Universalists Unitarians

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Ted. Thank you Accountable for all that info! Very helpful. :)

Return to “General Religious Discussions”