What's best for 9 yr old?

robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Well I never thought I would be posting in this forum, but here I am. I am mom to a almost 6 and 9 yrs old boys. They desperately want a new game platform for Xmas. We have had Nintendo Gamecube for several years and they have thoroughly enjoyed it, never had a problem with it. But I sense from them that it is time to move on! They keep asking for PS2, Xbox, or Xbox 360...

I am completely confused and don't know what's best for them. What are the pros and cons? After reading some articles/still feeling confused I should say it seems most information seems to get caught up talking about online capability. I don't think my boys need that do they?? They've never even mentioned that nor have their friends.... is it something important?
Nature laughs Last
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

robinseggs wrote: Well I never thought I would be posting in this forum, but here I am. I am mom to a almost 6 and 9 yrs old boys. They desperately want a new game platform for Xmas. We have had Nintendo Gamecube for several years and they have thoroughly enjoyed it, never had a problem with it. But I sense from them that it is time to move on! They keep asking for PS2, Xbox, or Xbox 360...

I am completely confused and don't know what's best for them. What are the pros and cons? After reading some articles/still feeling confused I should say it seems most information seems to get caught up talking about online capability. I don't think my boys need that do they?? They've never even mentioned that nor have their friends.... is it something important?

Are you talking about on-line games? Be careful - there are a lot of adults doing that and since you can't monitor it.........I would be careful of it and at their age......
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Do you know any teenagers in the neighborhood? Ask them about what they have and want. Perhaps they will even show you how what they have works...... They might even be a good judge of what would be most fun for your boys to play at their ages.
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

My 7 year old has my PS2 in his room! He loves it and as an added bonus, he uses it to play DVD's. There are a ton of games out for it and it isn't so outdated, so new games come out all the time.
Sandi

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

robinseggs wrote: Well I never thought I would be posting in this forum, but here I am. I am mom to a almost 6 and 9 yrs old boys. They desperately want a new game platform for Xmas...
nope. get them a Red Ryder BB Gun.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

My daughter has the PS2 platform and loves it. Plays a large amount of games, of all rating levels. The new Xbox is pretty expensive and the games ain't cheap either. Best thing to do is go to a store like Electronics Boutique and get one of the game geeks there to explain it to ya..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

PS2 definetley. I like the DVD capability as someone stated above. Cant you use it as a CD player too?

We bought it 2 christmases ago and its still a favorite in our house.

But as we all know, its my husbands, I have no kids.

Did you see that the old atari is back. Saw it at Walmart, I want it, because these new platforms have way too many controls on the controller. Its too complicated. Give me tha black stick and one button and Im great

HBIC
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

DesignerGal wrote:

Did you see that the old atari is back. Saw it at Walmart, I want it, because these new platforms have way too many controls on the controller. Its too complicated. Give me tha black stick and one button and Im great

Sure now they come back. Just when we've pitched ours...........
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

nvalleyvee wrote: Are you talking about on-line games? Be careful - there are a lot of adults doing that and since you can't monitor it.........I would be careful of it and at their age......

That's exactly my point. We are NOT interested in getting online. But like I said, it seems all articles I have read seem to get caught up in discussing the online capabilities thus maybe leaving out answers to questions I really need to know!!!!
Nature laughs Last
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Wolverine wrote: nope. get them a Red Ryder BB Gun.

I think you are hinting around that too many kids spend too much time in front of the screen these days??!! Not my kids. Not this street. We live on a small private street with only about 20 houses and (brace yourself) 30 kids!!!! All stay home moms and most of the dads have wierd schedules, so many are home during the day too......EVERYONE is ALWAYS outside!!! Kids play in street til after dark...parents talking together watching them......this is not the norm....seems our battle is trying to get them to come IN (and play a video game!!) LOL
Nature laughs Last
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

SOJOURNER wrote: Do you know any teenagers in the neighborhood? Ask them about what they have and want. Perhaps they will even show you how what they have works...... They might even be a good judge of what would be most fun for your boys to play at their ages.

Excellent idea! Thanks! The boys next door have each of the systems....why didn't I think of that?? LOL
Nature laughs Last
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

i have a PS2 with the whole online thing and i'd think carefully about letting a 9 year old play.

as much as sony try to stop it there seems to be the bad language and occasional highly abusive person, often drunk, people online...at least here anyway.
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Alfred....go back and read post #9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheeeeeesh!!!!
Nature laughs Last
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

maybe i ought too. :thinking:

ohh i see now. :wah:
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

No problem, Alfred..... Well the PS2 has been bought and is sitting in Santa's sleigh! What if any accessories do I absolutely HAVE to have for them on Xmas morning? I did buy an extra controller and of course a game. Grandma is getting the memory card and the carrying case...
Nature laughs Last
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

that sounds like the complete package.
snuggs

Post by snuggs »

my 15 yr old son has a ps2 ,my daughter who is 10

has a nintendo DS ,both great consoles,but just like everything

else kids have to be monitored with certain games,it also depends if your son wants a handheld or not ,i like them both tho.:)
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

The other grandma gave both boys each a DS......it's official--they're spoiled.
Nature laughs Last
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

robinseggs wrote: The other grandma gave both boys each a DS......it's official--they're spoiled.

as they deserve to be.
Mookey1229

Post by Mookey1229 »

My grandsons have a ps2 and xbox. They play xbox most of the time. I have one here at my house for them when they come to visit. I don't approve of some of the games they play, but thats up to you what they play. I have a hard time picking out games, because I don't know enough about them. They are also 6 and 9 years old.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Mookey1229 wrote: My grandsons have a ps2 and xbox. They play xbox most of the time. I have one here at my house for them when they come to visit. I don't approve of some of the games they play, but thats up to you what they play. I have a hard time picking out games, because I don't know enough about them. They are also 6 and 9 years old.

wait till they get to teenage years.

then see if you approve.
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Yes, I do hear it gets worse.....
Nature laughs Last
Mookey1229

Post by Mookey1229 »

Oh I'm sure it does get worse. I don't understand parents letting them buy and play stuff like that. Not at my house!
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

As stated earlier..it denpends on what they're playing. There are actually some very good games out there. A lot of people around here went through a "turn off the tv" phase w/ their kids. I did not do that but simply chose what my then 1 yr old would watch. He was the first on the block to read, write and spell. To this day, I swear it was his Nintendo Game Gameboy that enhanced his ability to learn to read!!
Nature laughs Last
Fibonacci

Post by Fibonacci »

check out esrb.org. they have a ratings guide that should help you out.
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.

Return to “The Gaming Zone - PC Console”