Subud - what do you make of it?

Discuss the Christian Faith.
weinbeck

Post by weinbeck »

I have always (well, since I became a born-again Christian four years ago) professed my faith in Jesus Christ, and in Him only I turn to in times of strife and tribulation. However I have a cousin who was quite heavily involved in it, and she was a Roman Catholic. She insisted it wasn't a religion, but found that whenever things got on top of her, she would go into a latihan which, apparently, is the opposite to meditation, where you empty your mind completely and let God take over. I've never found the need to look beyond Christianity for communication between God and myself - to me it smacks of mysticism. What do you reckon? An aid to finding God, or false teaching?
Ted

Post by Ted »

weinbeck:-6

What she is doing is meditating. It is a process whereby one tries to empty their mind of everything and leave it open for God to speak. "Be still and know that I am God." Is it part of mysticism? It can be. The early church had many great Christian mystics such as Eckhart, Julian of Norwich and a host of others that I can list if you wish.

I on occasion practise meditation, but not enough. It can also be compared to contemplative prayer which is a form of prayer practised by many Christians today.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Ted

Post by Ted »

flopstock:-6

Thanks for the accolades. I wish I did know everything. Alas there is so much to learn and so little time to learn it. But I do keep working at it every summer at the Vancouver School of Theology and during the winter through study, reading, meditation, prayer, discussion with scholarly folks. It is great fun.

I am presently working on one of the great Christian mystics of the medieval church; Meister Eckhart. Very interesting. He lived in the early 14th cent.

Shalom

Ted:-6

Return to “Christianity”