Post by lady cop »

News results for pearl harbor day

Another roll call for an infamous day’s survivors -

Vet recalls horrors of Pearl attack - :yh_flag :yh_flag :yh_flag
lady cop

Dec. 7...a Day That Lives in Infamy

Post by lady cop »

Pearl Harbor's Final Farewell

Survivors of Pearl Harbor will gather today one last time in Hawaii to honor those killed by the Japanese 65 years ago
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I always teach a lesson today about Dec. 7....................
spot

Post by spot »

I suspect some of them, at least, will be talking about the sense of betrayal felt by Admiral Halsey and his commanding officer Admiral Kimmel at the withholding of information which could have better prepared the base against surprise attack. Neither of the following quotes come from the Internet - strangely, they seem to have been overlooked so far - but I take them from the impeccable Martin Gilbert's "Challenge to Civilization: a history of the 20th century, Volume 3: 1952-1999":(Halsey's Memoirs): Had we been in possession of the "Magic" messages with clear implication from the Japs, by their anxiety to be constantly informed of ships' berthing, that an attack on Pearl was intended, and the further pointed fact that the date was December the 7th, the Enterprise and Lexington would never have gone on their missions to Wake and Midway. And further, the fleet would not have been in Pearl Harbor on that date.

(Kimmel): I cannot excuse those in authority in Washington for what they did. And I do not believe that thousands of mothers and fathers whose sons perished on that tragic seventh day of December Nineteen Hundred and Forty One will excuse them. They will be judged at the bar of history. In my book they must answer on the Day of Judgement like any other criminal.During the attack on Pearl Harbour a spent bullet harmlessly bounced off Admiral Kimmel. He said later in life that he wished it had killed him.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “History”