IP numbers

Rain

IP numbers

Post by Rain »

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I have an internet stalker who seems to find me even on a closed boards.

I have a few IP numbers from her that I'd like to trace, but I'm wondering why IP numbers change all the time. How can I trace her if the IP numbers change?

Thanx :)
rainbowsmiles

IP numbers

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Rain;510770 wrote: Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I have an internet stalker who seems to find me even on a closed boards.

I have a few IP numbers from her that I'd like to trace, but I'm wondering why IP numbers change all the time. How can I trace her if the IP numbers change?

Thanx :)

I'm not sure what you mean by tracing, are you looking to find information on this person such as where they live? I don't think you can do that, not legally anyway.

My understanding of IP's is that they don't change if they are static IP's (those given to you by your ISP). but you can manually change your IP address, I know people who do it. I don't play with it myself because I haven't found a need for it but I know there are instructions for how to do it on the internet. I've also read that for DSL users a person can turn off their DSL and wait 8 hours and most often this will change an IP address.

I think a proxy server allows for IP changes as well. If this person is changing their IP then it will be impossible to figure out where they are. I had a problem similar to this in the past and I just notified the admin's of the forums I was on that this person was a problem for me in the past and gave them the IP's I had to identify them and then left it up to the admin to handle any future issues on their specific forum and that worked well for me.
RedGlitter

IP numbers

Post by RedGlitter »

Why is this person stalking you, Rain?? :confused:
JacksDad

IP numbers

Post by JacksDad »

Yup. It's a proxy. But they also seem to have access to personal info.

Or at least those personal boards are available to Google.

How often to you join boards using 'Rain" or other names she may know you as?
rainbowsmiles

IP numbers

Post by rainbowsmiles »

^Thats true Jacksdad.

I know when I google my screenname it pops up and all the stuff I've talked about here appears. :o She probably stalks rain this way and picks out the sites that "sound" like rain posting. Rain, you could change your screen name when arriving on a new forum and maybe this person won't find you as easily.
Delilah

IP numbers

Post by Delilah »

If you want to know the location, etc of the IP, there are sites where you can enter an IP address and it will shoot you back with all the information about it, the city, the country..the currency even!

Anyway..here is the link. Scroll down a bit to where it says, IP ADDRESS TO LOCATE. It will automatically have your own IP in there, so just delete that, and enter in the other IP you want to check on, and than hit submit. Pretty easy..:)

IP Locator
Delilah

IP numbers

Post by Delilah »

rainbowsmiles;510801 wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by tracing, are you looking to find information on this person such as where they live? I don't think you can do that, not legally anyway.

My understanding of IP's is that they don't change if they are static IP's (those given to you by your ISP). but you can manually change your IP address, I know people who do it. I don't play with it myself because I haven't found a need for it but I know there are instructions for how to do it on the internet. I've also read that for DSL users a person can turn off their DSL and wait 8 hours and most often this will change an IP address.

I think a proxy server allows for IP changes as well. If this person is changing their IP then it will be impossible to figure out where they are. I had a problem similar to this in the past and I just notified the admin's of the forums I was on that this person was a problem for me in the past and gave them the IP's I had to identify them and then left it up to the admin to handle any future issues on their specific forum and that worked well for me.

Actually, sometimes they can change. Although, very minor ways. Such as the last couple of digits. Usually the first two will always be the same. But mine, for example..I am on high speed, and sometimes when it connects to the internet, it renews my IP and gives me a new one..(but the first two numbers are usually always the same)

But if all of the numbers (especially the first three sets..for example 68.190.166) are different from one IP to the other, than most likely they are either using a proxy, or they simply are using different computers in different places. Do they just use their home computer? Or maybe they go and logon at a library or an internet cafe, you never know.
woppy71

IP numbers

Post by woppy71 »

The best way to combat this sort of thing is to keep a record of all communication from your stalker, and I mean everything (IP addys, email, posts etc) and forward it to your ISP abuse department. They can (and should) look into it and help you take any action as necessary. It can be a long haul, but unfortunately, thats about he best you can do. Hope this helps :)
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
Lulu2

IP numbers

Post by Lulu2 »

I've seen the list Rain's talking about and it is very confusing.

She has a discussion board of her own, and as administrator, she can see the ISP numbers of all the members and their various posts. The numbers change! And not just the last few numbers, either....the entire number changes. Mine has changed, too, although I'm on the same old computer/server.

(What Rain's trying to do here is look at the ISP number of anyone who logs on to that board and be able to compare it to the stalker's number. This person registers under many different names and personalities, usually several on the same board. It's been going on for years and it's very complicated.)

Anyhow, the question is...how could these numbers change?

On second thought.....I have DSL....and RAINBOWSMILES says: "I've also read that for DSL users a person can turn off their DSL and wait 8 hours and most often this will change an IP address."
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
spot

IP numbers

Post by spot »

Perhaps reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server#Anonymous might help a bit as far as where these assorted addresses are being generated from.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Rain

IP numbers

Post by Rain »

Thank You, Thank You! You've all been VERY helpful. And I thank you to the friend's who've PM'd me as well. I have used the site suggested to trace the IP and have come to the conclusion that this is Not my stalker! Whew :)

RG, as for why she stalks me... I have No idea. She's a woman in her 70's that I used to be friends with, but when I cut her off due to certain things, she follows me around the net. She's gone so far as to try to befriend my other cyber friends and tells them horrible lies about my personal life. It's like having someone read over your shoulder 24/7. And yes, I feel she does it by googling my name. That's why when I joined here, I used Rain. She wouldn't know that name. I feel comfortable here.

Will read about what a proxy is.

Thanx again :)
Jesse

IP numbers

Post by Jesse »

Scary Rain. I will be keeping you in my thoughts. I know what it's like to have a stalker.... :-3
Rain

IP numbers

Post by Rain »

Keith W;513811 wrote: Even if you are on cable/DSL you can change your IP manually from the command prompt.

Also this person may well be on dial up which would mean that there IP would change, usually, each time they access the internet

Whoa! I didn't know ANY of this.

Command Prompt?? IP changes each time you access the net??

Then tell me, HOW are criminals caught by using the IP?? I know Dateline (U.S. news magazine TV show) has said they've caught criminals by using the IP numbers. If they change regularly, how is that possible?? I find this very interesting.
Lulu2

IP numbers

Post by Lulu2 »

Me, too!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
spot

IP numbers

Post by spot »

There are Internet Service Providers. ISPs. You pay them for your access.

ISPs own many IP addresses and they lease you one for a short period. At the end of the lease you might get the same one again or you might not.

Anyone with authority can ask the ISP, who owns the IP address they're interested in, to look up the lease log and tell them who (name, address &c) had the lease on a specific IP address at a given time. For some people in authority the process is slightly more automated than that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Rain

IP numbers

Post by Rain »

I'm blown away by technology. Thanx Spot :)
Rain

IP numbers

Post by Rain »

WOW! Where was the culprit?
Rain

IP numbers

Post by Rain »

What can you do about that? Is there a way to catch him? And... how did you know someone was trying to do this?
Rain

IP numbers

Post by Rain »

Yes. I wonder if there are internet police we could notify? Hmmm. :thinking:

Return to “Computers Internet”