What is it that you love about your country?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I hear and read people say this, and I wonder just what it is that they love.

Is it your family and friends, food, lifestyle? What is it that you love?
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

I guess because I've travelled extensively, I'm in no hurry to leave the UK and can appreciate it for what it is.

The thing I love the most about the UK is the different landscapes that can be found. I find the Welsh hills very emotive, and equally so the flatlands in Cornwall.

Apart from that I like the fact that the UK is compact and bijou in comparison to the US and Africa etc. You can drive for an hour and pass through 5 villages.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

It's a cultural thing for most people, isn't it? Language, food, ways of doing things--the entire essemce of who we are. I love the open friendliness of people in this country and the idea that opportunities exist, if you're willing to work for them and believe in yourself.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Lulu2;543544 wrote: It's a cultural thing for most people, isn't it? Language, food, ways of doing things--the entire essemce of who we are. I love the open friendliness of people in this country and the idea that opportunities exist, if you're willing to work for them and believe in yourself.

If it was a cultural thing for me, I would really prefer to live in another country.... still in Europe though. France or Italy. I think they really 'own' their culture

'
Lon

Post by Lon »

Elvira;543541 wrote: I guess because I've travelled extensively, I'm in no hurry to leave the UK and can appreciate it for what it is.

The thing I love the most about the UK is the different landscapes that can be found. I find the Welsh hills very emotive, and equally so the flatlands in Cornwall.

Apart from that I like the fact that the UK is compact and bijou in comparison to the US and Africa etc. You can drive for an hour and pass through 5 villages.

So, lots of different scenery in a short drive. Somewhat like New Zealand.

Not at all like driving through the state of Texas, or the Australian outback, where you can drive for ever with never a change in scenery.
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Lon;543549 wrote: So, lots of different scenery in a short drive. Somewhat like New Zealand.

Not at all like driving through the state of Texas, or the Australian outback, where you can drive for ever with never a change in scenery.

You're right - although the panoramic views in the US have a charm of their own too. Take Taos or the Grand Canyon, the National Forest....
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(It's always amusing when people come here from other countries with the idea that they can see the entire US in a week or so. One thing we've got a LOT of here is space.)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

My country is Ireland, what do I need to say?, its a fantastic country to grow up and live in really. It has its problems (plenty), but its also great, I don't even realize it half the time, and sure the other half the time, I'm somewhere else. :thinking:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Galbally;543570 wrote: My country is Ireland, what do I need to say?, its a fantastic country to grow up and live in really. It has its problems (plenty), but its also great, I don't even realize it half the time, and sure the other half the time, I'm somewhere else. :thinking:

I suspect that there is a bit of emotional attachment to our country of birth as well, and nothing wrong with that at all.
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Pinky;543569 wrote: I like that you can find such vastly different landscapes in the UK...Est Anglia is pretty flat, but has gorgeous views for sunrises/sunsets. The midlands and north have wonderful hills and valleys and of course the moors.

I'd have to say I love our sense of humour as well, it's quite different to anywhere else in a lot of ways!

Great minds eh chickie??
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Lon;543582 wrote: I suspect that there is a bit of emotional attachment to our country of birth as well, and nothing wrong with that at all.

Of course, I would wonder at people who really hate their own country, as in some respects its self-hatred. Though having your eyes open about your own country's failings is an absolute necessity, or else you will end up very bitter and disillusioned. That goes for all countries.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I love America because we are bold and brash and not afraid to speak out. I love that I can flame the government without getting my head cut off. I love the colorfulness (and often hate the horrors) of our history and founding. I love our food and our various cultures within cultures all across the states. I like (in a way) that we help support other countries, regardless of what others might say to tear us down. I love that generally speaking we hear what you guys say about us...and we dont care.

* this opinion is not meant to incite anger but only to answer the question according to the replier's views.

Rain

Post by Rain »

I love the landscape of America. We have Yellowstone with its bubbling boiling hot springs, rainforests like Quinault in Washington state, cracked dry hot deserts, ocean breezes, mountain country roads with leaves changing, etc. America is a very diverse country. I love the history too in general. The whole Ellis Island thing. I also love the diversity of the languages and the foods.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

There are many things I love about Ireland, the land is beautiful and still mostly unspoilt by people and their things, the people are free, as free as anyone in the world, and spend most of their time "giving out" as we say to their politicians and shouting at them, I love the way we have still got a generally common-sense approach to life and a culture that has not been swept away by all this modernity and its associated nonsense, I like the fact that the biggest thing most people fear in terms of crime is having their car stolen, or their ipod nicked, not dying in a hail of bullets.

I love the way that nowadays lots of people in Ireland have a lot of money and that we have managed to go from being one of the poorest western countries to one of the richest, I especially love the way that when I meet my local TD (MP) around he has to say "well" to me and be nice, he is afraid of us, not the other way around, thats cool.

I love a lot of things about there, (and there are a lot of things I don't like as well), but mostly I love when I am out walking and I look at the mountain, the river, the land, and think about how my people have lived here for thousands of years, here on this island, and how we and our country have made each other into what we are, and that makes me feel at home, here in this place, always. :-6

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Elvira;543541 wrote: the flatlands in Cornwall

Erm, what're they, then?
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

i must say i love the english sense of humour , i really miss not having a laugh when i'm abroad, oh and who could forget our famouse flatlands in cornwall i'd really miss them if i went away:wah: :wah:
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

The people, the British sense of humour, the variety of different landscapes, the excellent (?!) tv, the history, the food, even the weather.

I love that I have lived in a house that has parts that are nearly 300 years old. I love having proper seasons and that it nearly always rains in the summer! I love that we have such a diverse culture.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Rain;543854 wrote: I love the landscape of America. We have Yellowstone with its bubbling boiling hot springs, rainforests like Quinault in Washington state, cracked dry hot deserts, ocean breezes, mountain country roads with leaves changing, etc. America is a very diverse country. I love the history too in general. The whole Ellis Island thing. I also love the diversity of the languages and the foods.

You took most of the words out of my mouth, reading through the posts before I answer.

I like the "melting pot" of our Country and freedom of speech, which is taken to extremes at times but excercised throughly at any rate.

I love the Geography, History and living in the "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave"...

:yh_flag :yh_flag
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:-6 This is the home of the free and the land of the brave. :-6 My home town San Diego California is one of the most beautiful spots on earth.

I have traveled from coast to coast and every where in between in the US and it is one beautiful Country that I'm proud to live in. Oregon, Washington State, our Nations Capital, Virginia, Chicago the windy city, Michagan, Arkansas, South Dakota, Minnesota, New York, Louisiana, Montana, New Orleans, Idaho, Iowa,Connecticut, the great state of Texas each and everyone is unique in its own way. I could go on and on about my adventures in each state, but that would take the other half of my life time. I have places to go and people to see, and meet..:-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Lon;543549 wrote:

ahem! :yh_silent

:D

I love that we have it all within our own country. Mountains, desert, plains and tropical areas. Places where it's cold year round and others that are hot year round and ones with 4 seasons. Big cities that have it all and small towns where everyone knows each other and locking your doors doesn't really occur to you.

And we have the best people! :-6

I couldn't live somewhere where I wouldn't be greeted with big smiles and friendliness everywhere I go.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

sunny104;544110 wrote: ahem! :yh_silent

:D

I love that we have it all within our own country. Mountains, desert, plains and tropical areas. Places where it's cold year round and others that are hot year round and ones with 4 seasons. Big cities that have it all and small towns where everyone knows each other and locking your doors doesn't really occur to you.

And we have the best people! :-6

I couldn't live somewhere where I wouldn't be greeted with big smiles and friendliness everywhere I go.

HOWDY MAAM:D
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

yzgi;544117 wrote: howdy Maam:d

:d :-4
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

the green smiley isn't working! :confused:
minks

Post by minks »

Canada well what can I say about it

We are Vast, we have space and we still have wilderness to escape to.

We have a strong economy, and a decent standard of living.

My part of Canada still has good air and water quality. We still have wildlife that roams the land.

We have a rich and diverse mix of cultures. We are tolerant, peace keeping, and friendly. I think we are well liked world wide :)

I am proud to be a Canadian.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(In my experience, Canadians have been among the most welcoming and friendly folks I've ever met. Oh...and did I mention the hot raisin pie with soft ice cream?) ;)
minks

Post by minks »

Lulu2;544207 wrote: (In my experience, Canadians have been among the most welcoming and friendly folks I've ever met. Oh...and did I mention the hot raisin pie with soft ice cream?) ;)

My mom makes killer raisin pie:D And such kind words about us red and whites ...thank you

― Mae West
abbey

Post by abbey »

Lon;543539 wrote: I hear and read people say this, and I wonder just what it is that they love.

Is it your family and friends, food, lifestyle? What is it that you love?My family, my country.:-4

Oh, and FG of course. :D
minks

Post by minks »

I have to say I think you are all great for loving your countries.

CUDOS to you all.

― Mae West

Return to “General Chit Chat”