Urban Slums: A Breeding Ground for Gang Violence

Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Great question! I'm afraid to touch this one. :D I'm curious to see what plazul has to say on this topic.

Riddle me this:

1. Why do many people *successfully escape the slums?

2. Why are there a great number of very successful folks who make it out and go on to lead productive lives?

3. Why is this misery concentrated in very distinct areas?

I'm inferring one main thing. I'll post my "I'm sure it'll be controversial answer" a little later today. Back to work I go!

Warsai wrote: Take a good look at all the inner-city areas in America, Chicago, LA, DC, the list goes on. These places have become a breeding ground for gang violence, drug distribution, rape, etc. WHY? Why is it that one of the only ways to make money in the ghettos of America is to sell drugs. Why is it that the only way to be safe in the ghettos of America is to join gangs? Yes, we live in a capitalist society, there will always be rich and poor neighborhoods, but the poor don't need to be this poor, there doesn't have to be such a large racial division in the socioeconomic classes, the kids don't have to join gangs and sell drugs to survive. It doesn't need to be like this.

What are your thoughts?
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Pearl Harbor

Post by Pearl Harbor »

Tombstone wrote: Great question! I'm afraid to touch this one. :D I'm curious to see what plazul has to say on this topic.

Riddle me this:

1. Why do many people *successfully escape the slums?

2. Why are there a great number of very successful folks who make it out and go on to lead productive lives?

3. Why is this misery concentrated in very distinct areas?

I'm inferring one main thing. I'll post my "I'm sure it'll be controversial answer" a little later today. Back to work I go!

I'll take a bite at this one. Are you referring to education?
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

very well said, jayboy.

hatred is one of the commonest diseases of mankind.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

oldfred wrote: Sorry about the late reply.

I just wanted to say thanks for putting some flesh on the bones of my message.

A question you may be able to answer for me: Are their any predominatly white-American slums in the US, or is it a problem almost exclusively of the ethnic population?

Fred
most slums in america are mixed-race. there are predominantly white slums. and predominantly puerto rican slums. and predominantly italian slums.

oh wait. bad paul, not politically correct: economically depressed urban areas.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

plazul wrote: But John Edwards is right. There really are two Americas and the divide may soon be to big to close.
i disagree. the united states has one of the highest standards of living in the world. and there are massive populations across all economic 'divides'. there has *always* been a privileged, moneyed class. throughout history. at no time in history have more people lived as well as we do - even our poor.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

plazul wrote: Yes, I too at one time had residential rental property and unless you're in it big time and are willing to deal with contant headaches, I don't recommend it .

Much of the problems that you mention are the result of arrested maturity and lethargy that comes with ghetto conditioning and lack of positive role models. Teen age mothers tend to never grow up as they reject the adult responsiblities that are thrust upon them by ealy parenthood. They escape through the artificial euphoria of drug intoxication. Consequently, their offspring never learn the basics when it comes to personal responsibility including not cleaning up spilled milk.

Your audio visual instruction tapes idea has some merit but there's nothing like a real adult role model.

Very well put together. You sure that you are not going into Politics or perhaps becoming a priest? But you are right. :-6
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

plazul wrote:

Having said that, America's tax code unfairly favors the rich and lends itself to abusive tax shelters and criminal tax evasion. It's the catalyst for corporate outsourcing and offshore banking and we need to reform it soon. If we don't, our system will collapse under the weight of corporate greed.
well, here's where we part ways, big time. america's tax code favors the rich? in what universe? the rich pay five out of every six tax dollars taken in by the federal government. if not for the rich, your and my marginal tax rates would be, oh, roughly 99% of our income.

and i'm completely against corporate taxes. it's a joke. tax the people. tax their businesses. tax their purchases. tax their property. tax their pets. tax their garbage.

the greed of the government knows no bounds.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

plazul wrote: So who pays the rich?generally speaking, the rich are paid by those who purchase their goods and services.

And what is money?a means of exchanging value, without having to hand over a stapler when you wish to acquire some tomatoes.

The tax system is really just a social contract. Our money has no real value except the intangible value that it derives from the system.i disagree. money does have value, that's what makes it money, a means of exchanging value. the marketplace sets the value, not 'the system' (unless that's what you mean by the system).

It's up to government to achieve a distribution balance that creates an optimum environment for labor and market forces.not historically. the government is in place to keep the peace, to settle quarrels, etc.. Meddling by the government in the marketplace is more often than not a colossal failure, no matter what the political system of the government. no, i'm not some 'free market freak'. commerce is the bedrock of civilization, just look at history. it is commerce that comes first, then government second. unfortunately, government seems to think it comes first.

When the rich are *taxed* they aren't really losing anything of value if you look at it philosophically. um, i don't know how to parse that. the rich lose value just as anyone else loses value when they are taxed. taxes are moneys taken by force from those who have them.

The government and the system is just saying, here's what we've decided you're worth. We've assigned you X amount of value, read credit, and we believe that others should receive X amount of value for helping you get to this point.i just don't understand the above. 'helping you get to this point'? with rare exception, person A generates value from his/her efforts. person B pays person A for the fruits of those efforts. person B made a choice to pay person A, and got something of value in return - where does the idea come from that, having paid for something, and received something in return, person B is owed something further in return? the formula doesn't work. it doesn't make sense.

The others are the taxpayers and laborers that helped to build the infrastructure and the society in which your enterprise achieved success. but you're speaking as if this all happens in a vacuum. say person A has become wealthy selling, for example, a gearing mechanism. that gearing mechanism is superior to other gearing mechanisms, and other industries find it desireable, so are willing to pay a premium for the high quality of that product. that gearing mechanism is used in, among other things, roadway grading equipment. that equipment is used to build and maintain the roads that person A drives on, as well as millions of other people. by selling that high quality gearing mechanism, the company that makes grading equipment benefits from lower maintenance, meaning the equipment can be kept in use for longer intervals. that means the guy who runs that grader earns more money. the grading equipment company sells more graders, so they profit. the public which uses the roads enjoys better maintained roads.

it all works together. you can substitute as the product person A creates such things as pens, or tomatoes, or light bulbs or whatever. each person's contribution of value generally goes to the greater good, in some form or another. the pen helps build the infrastructure we all use. the tomatoes keep us fed, the light bulbs let us work late at night formulating long rambling postings on internet forums. :-5

And yes, the poor are factored into the equation as a cost of doing business in a just society. All in all, it's a pretty good deal for entrepreneurs in America.i would submit that, in a just society, which i believe ours is, it is *not* necessary to forcibly take money from the rich to give to the poor. the charitable works in our nation are incredible, even with our current system. if people are taxed less - all other things being equal - they *will* give more to charity, which directly helps the poor. i know that when i was making my biggest bucks in the dot-com boom, i also gave massive amounts to charity. i did so not for the tax deductions, i did so because *i* felt a desire to give back to those less fortunate. i'm just some guy living in suburbia. there are millions of others like me. given the opportunity to help, people will do so. it simply is not necessary to *take* money from people to give to others less fortunate. doing so means the government expects the worst from its citizens, rather than the best. that's not a healthy government, particularly when the evidence clearly suggests the best is the norm.

Of course, government has to be careful not to get to a point of diminishing return both in taxation and investment in society. That's something for the federal reserve and the politicians to work out. And I realize that fairness is a subjective thing.you are aware that the federal reserve is a business - a corporation - not a government agency, yes?

At any rate, Paul, I know you think I'm a leftie but have you ever stopped to consider what's in it for me? well, although it may sound trite, i'm not big on labels. you may indeed be a lefty - i believe you've said so in as many words yourself. ;) But i don't believe it informs the dialogue in any useful way.

I could just say, hey, I've got mine and to hell with everybody else. some portion of the population does feel that way, no doubt. the majority do not. and that's where the crux of this difference lies, in whether we trust or distrust each other. i prefer a government and a society that gives the benefit of the doubt, absent evidence to the contrary.

But I care about the future of our country and I think investment in human capital is the best way to build prosperity. The people I oppose think people are just a disposable commodity and they'll dispose of a lot of people if we let them.i'm sure there are people who view other people as a disposable commodity. most people however, do not. if you really believe that most on the right/conservative side hold that view, then you're mistaken. that attitude, in my opinion, only serves to further polarize the debate in our country. *most people are good, honest, hardworking, and reasonably charitable towards their fellow man*. it doesn't matter whether they're conservative or liberal. i'm quite certain there are people on the left/liberal side who also view people as commodities. i suppose we could get into a pissing match about whether there are *more* of those kinds of people on the left or right - the problem is, we're talking about the tiny minority, rather than the vast majority. if it turns out that 1% of liberals view people as commodities, and 2% of conservatives, well, perhaps that means there's double the number of conservatives who view people as commodities - but it once again ignores the vast majority who do not.

john kerry is filthy rich. he's a liberal, therefore he's 'good people'. teresa heinz kerry is filthy rich. she used to be a republican, now she's a democrat. so she used to be bad people, viewing people as commodities, but now that she's a democrat, she's good people.

george bush is filthy rich. he's a conservative. therefore, he's bad people.

simplistic formulas like that, which seem to be de riguere, are turning this country into a land of warring factions. it's very sad.

i'm rambling here. i'll shut up now.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

plazul wrote:

When I said , "the people I oppose", I wasn't making a generalization about all Republicans (though I've been known to do that). But there are many people at the top who feel that laborers should have no rights and their philosophy is played out in offshore sweat shops in the Third World and in union busting corporations that barely pay a living wage here in America.
my only retort is that i disagree that it is many people at the top. it is a few at the top. you don't hear about all the large corporations that take care of their employees, take care of the environment, and give back to the community, because, well, that's no fun! ;)

the corporations that are responsible members of society far outnumber those who are not.

The "government is not the solution, it's the problem" position works well for people until they're down on their luck. What would you do, for example, if you lost your job, had no savings, and there was no such thing as unemployment? What if you became disabled and had no insurance and there was no such thing as public assistance?
ahem. after the dot-com bubble burst, i continued working for a while, until i moved to a new startup, which i invested in, which laid me off after six months. i'm running my own business now, from home, barely making a subsistence living. i have no savings. unemployment, my friend, is not a government handout, it is an insurance system, paid for by businesses, separate from taxes. businesses, of course, pay for it from what they earn. i was on unemployment for six months, then it ran out. i do not have health insurance (nor does my wife, who is a homemaker). i've liquidated the retirement savings i had accumulated during the boom. i'm getting by, but just barely. in relative terms, i have a lot of material wealth accumulated, such as my house, which if things got drastically worse i'd have to liquidate as well. but it would be a long time before i'd want, need, or take a government handout. so, yes, i'm one of the lucky ones who had some sort of a safety net.

am i against safety nets? not at all. *some* assistance is a good thing for those who are truly on the down and out. supporting them doesn't require billions of dollars however.

I guess you'd just have to buck up and make it on your own but I don't want Americans to have to struggle to survive.
i want world peace. in a perfect world, someday, that may happen. the same for the destitute always having a full belly. the world is imperfect. we do one hell of a good job in this country of taking care of our own. and a significant portion of that comes from people giving of their own volition. i'm not in favor of abolishing social programs. i'm in favor of some measure of financial discretion on the part of government, which tends to spend (OUR) money like there's no tomorrow. that's just what happened in california. the state had a massive surplus, and just spent, spent, spent until it was all gone - *before* the economy turned downward.

I believe in good government and good government programs. But you don't miss your water 'till your well runs dry so I'll quit trying to change your attitude.
ahem. my well may not be dry, but the water is brackish. or something like that!
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

plazul wrote: Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Most of what I have is tied up in a few old decrepit commercial buildings run by a friend of mine in property management. They'll probably drive me into the ground.

All of my friends and relatives have more money than me (I'm their accountant) and money is everything to many of them. Not that they're terribly greedy but they always want more *stuff*. More and more stuff that they don't need like the ATV that a friend talked me into riding. Almost killed me. I like to live simply and I haven't bought a new car in years. In fact, I got the bargain of my life on a used Eldorado recently. Anyway, when I'm in Playa Azul I have all I could ever want and it really puts the quest for material wealth in perspective.

You sound like a resilient person and a natural entrepreneur. You're young and ambitious and you're in an area of the country (I used to live on Cotati Avenue in Cotati) that has plenty of opportunities for industrious people. I lived quite well when I was there. God it's beautiful.

geez, cotati ave is literally a stone's throw from my home. small world!

while i know plenty of those folks who are into more and more stuff, and have my own streak of that as well, don't underestimate those folks. i feel uncomfortable talking about giving to charity, and i know many other people do too - they prefer to give quietly and privately. they may be into lots of stuff, but they may also give back to their community without a lot of pomp and circumstance.

Return to “Societal Issues News”