Employers list, what do you think

jahamaa

Post by jahamaa »

This appeared in my local paper today.

Pennsylvanians fret about the loss of manufacturing jobs, yet we keep supporting a political class that expands government at the expense of the private sector. Here, according to Tom Barstow of the Harrisburg Patriot News are todays top 10 employers in the state.

1. US govenment

2. State Government

3. Wal-Mart

4. City of Philadelphia

5. School Dristrict of Philadelphia

6. University of Pennsylvania

7. Pennsylvania State University

8. Giant Food Stores

9. United Parsel Service

10. University of Pittsburgh

Barstow notes

*The top two employers are government

*Only 3 of the top 10 are businesses

*None of those three businesses is invloved in manufacturing or high tech.

Jahamaa here, I noted something else only one of the private businesses listed here pays a decent wage.

I am assuming most states are like mine. What does is say about a society where the top ( and best with wages and benefits) jobs are government?

Where is this trend, if it is a trend, headed.

Your thoughts.
GOD CREATED MAN AND SAM COLT MADE THEM EQUAL
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

Walmart is a top 10 employer? Wonder what he bases his list on?
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
jahamaa

Post by jahamaa »

devist8me wrote: Walmart is a top 10 employer? Wonder what he bases his list on?
If I understood the article correctly, just the number of employees.
Philadelphia Eagle

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

Very interesting post, Jamahaa.

This situation, from my experience, exists almost universally.

It seems that employment created by Government and local Authorities is generally more secure, better paid, has enhanced benefit packages etc. when compared to the private sector and that this prevails in many countries.

I don't pretend to know the answer but if it is a fact that government provides better employment conditions than the private sector then individuals, when in the job market would tend to gravitate towards the better opportunities.

It seems to be an international thing.
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
jahamaa

Post by jahamaa »

If the money created in the private sector sustains the public how long can and will the private sector provide wages and benefits to the public that it cannot provide to its own employees?

Is this the 2 class system we have heard so much about.?

Government VS Private
Philadelphia Eagle

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

The healthiest economies will ensure the the wealth- producing i.e. the private sector always creates more GDP than the wealth-spending i.e. public sector.

If the public sector grows bigger than the private sector that spells trouble and generally requires tax hikes, IMF or World Bank loans etc. to suistain.

This tends to be the situation in most third world economies.
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
Jives

Post by Jives »

I work for the State of New Mexico, thank GOD! Stability in employment is something that can't be underestimated. I don't make that much, but I love my job and can NEVER BE FIRED. (Unless I do something incrediby stupid.)

I've got a job for life and a retirement for the after-life.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
jahamaa

Post by jahamaa »

Jives wrote: I work for the State of New Mexico, thank GOD! Stability in employment is something that can't be underestimated. I don't make that much, but I love my job and can NEVER BE FIRED. (Unless I do something incrediby stupid.)

I've got a job for life and a retirement for the after-life.

Jives you need to move to PA. Few years ago the state did one of their famous studies that showed PA school teachers made 44% more that people with like degrees working in the private sector.

Don't exactly know how they compared degrees but you know the gov. they always find a way. :wah:

Personally I don't think gov. workers have it too nice I think we need to find a way to bring private sectors workers to the same level.
Jives

Post by Jives »

WHAT?!! Leave all this crushing poverty, ignorance, oblivion and dusty desert for a lush, intelligent, and verdant landscape?

Are you kidding? They NEED me here! In your state I'd just be another second-banana, under-educated, hick from the bush. Here I'm a Super-Intelligent, Politically Powerful, Popular HERO!

(Oh...and thanks for giving me the chance to use the word "verdant", I haven't ever used that one to my knowledge.)

:wah:
Jives

Post by Jives »

lol, true..true... but better to be a Shark in the fishpond than a Minnow in the ocean, yes?

Verdant means lush, green scenery, filled with growing pants. Jungle-like.
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

In today`s world, NOBODY really has a `job for life` any more, including professions which used to , eg, banking, university, etc. For example, several thousand call centre personnel in Britain have been made redundant and their jobs transferred to employees in India (who do it for a lot less wages). To add insult to injury, some of the British employees had to go out to India to teach the Indians how to do the job properly! Do you get any stuff like that in America, or anywhere else?

Also, even the people who are still in `permanent ` jobs have their conditions of service deteriorate, eg, Sunday and/ or night work becomes part of the `normal` working week instead of overtime. Bosses are more interested in shareholders than in their employees!
jahamaa

Post by jahamaa »

john8pies wrote: In today`s world, NOBODY really has a `job for life` any more, including professions which used to , eg, banking, university, etc. For example, several thousand call centre personnel in Britain have been made redundant and their jobs transferred to employees in India (who do it for a lot less wages). To add insult to injury, some of the British employees had to go out to India to teach the Indians how to do the job properly! Do you get any stuff like that in America, or anywhere else?

Also, even the people who are still in `permanent ` jobs have their conditions of service deteriorate, eg, Sunday and/ or night work becomes part of the `normal` working week instead of overtime. Bosses are more interested in shareholders than in their employees!

I've had calls to businesses where the person who answered to phone had an accent so heavy I had to hang up because I couldn't understnd what they were saying. I just hang up call the company or email them and explain why I am going to be doing business with their competitors.

Return to “Societal Issues News”