No comments on the election?

A forum to discuss local issues in Scotland.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Hey where's all the scots & thoughts on the recent election result? :sneaky:
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

buttercup;609196 wrote: Hey where's all the scots & thoughts on the recent election result? sneaky:

Oh, was there a result? Sorry, I must pop off to bed, hope I don't miss anything...
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Bill :-4

Nice to see you :D
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

buttercup;609203 wrote: Bill -4

Nice to see you D

Thanks. However, I really *must* away, 'cos there's been a disaster in the kitchen. That's big news. My socks are *sodden*.

NTSY too, BTW!
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

When tramping wine its best in bare feet, no socks young man :rolleyes:

Waves finger at you.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Labour / Lib Dem / Green coalition?
gmc

Post by gmc »

Good kicking for labour. How much is support for the SNP and how much a way to get at labour I don't know. Leaving independence aside I reckon they should form a kind of floating coalition on an issue by issue basis.

No doubt the papers daily record etc would be making less fuss about the shambles if labour had won as usual. Last straw for me was TB coming up to tell us all how we should vote. A plague on all their houses.

General election should be interesting. Odds on Gordon Brown keeping his seat? Bet adam smith is birling in his grave.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Looking like a minority government with Alex Salmond as first minister then, might not be such a bad thing, minority government seems to have been working fine in Denmark all these years, certainly going to be interesting isent it ;)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

buttercup;609691 wrote: Looking like a minority government with Alex Salmond as first minister then, might not be such a bad thing, minority government seems to have been working fine in Denmark all these years, certainly going to be interesting isent it ;)

Do you see any of the other parties throwing their lot in with them?

And if they did, would they buy into independence or would the SNP shelve it for the duration?
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

Bryn Mawr;609781 wrote: Do you see any of the other parties throwing their lot in with them?

And if they did, would they buy into independence or would the SNP shelve it for the duration?

The Greens would do it in a minute but there are only 2 of them.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

did Obama win?:wah:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
gmc

Post by gmc »

zinkyusa;609810 wrote: did Obama win?:wah:

Nope, but there are different bampots in the numpty house for us to poke fun at.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Bryn Mawr;609781 wrote: Do you see any of the other parties throwing their lot in with them?

Independence seems to be the problem with the lib dems, cant see SNP giving up on it, in saying that as a minority they cant push it which is why it will be interesting. I should imagine we will have another election in 18 months or so, im looking forward to that. I should imagine SNP will become the majority at that one. Lots of changes ahead. How do the english people feel about breaking up the union, have any polls been done bryn?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

buttercup;609916 wrote: Independence seems to be the problem with the lib dems, cant see SNP giving up on it, in saying that as a minority they cant push it which is why it will be interesting. I should imagine we will have another election in 18 months or so, im looking forward to that. I should imagine SNP will become the majority at that one. Lots of changes ahead. How do the english people feel about breaking up the union, have any polls been done bryn?

Not that I know. The most common view I've heard is "if they want to go, let them". With the move towards the United States of Europe, however good or bad that may be, it's less important than it was but it would be a shame nontheless.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;609920 wrote: Not that I know. The most common view I've heard is "if they want to go, let them". With the move towards the United States of Europe, however good or bad that may be, it's less important than it was but it would be a shame nontheless.

You might change your mind if we keep all the oil revenues instead of it being used to subsidise the english :sneaky:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;610675 wrote: You might change your mind if we keep all the oil revenues instead of it being used to subsidise the english :sneaky:

That'll run out soon anyway and is more than balanced by the regeneration payments to the poorer areas :p

TSFIC
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;610805 wrote: That'll run out soon anyway and is more than balanced by the regeneration payments to the poorer areas :p

TSFIC

Ah the good old eec regional fund. Helped the north of England as well. Maybe we should just separate everything north of Watford from the rest-after all up north is where all the real talent is.:thinking:

Joking aside Things are getting entertaining, it's the first time in fifty years labour have lost an election in scotland and are playing the hard done by victim bit rather a lot. The lib dems are standing by their principles and not forming a coalition with the SNP even although they were very quick to forget them after the last election to join in with labour. Since it's thanks to scots MP's that new labour hold sway in westminster new labour should be worried. Old labour is getting pissed off. I think.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotlan ... =729112007

You might find some of the comments interesting
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;610880 wrote: Ah the good old eec regional fund. Helped the north of England as well. Maybe we should just separate everything north of Watford from the rest-after all up north is where all the real talent is.:thinking:

Joking aside Things are getting entertaining, it's the first time in fifty years labour have lost an election in scotland and are playing the hard done by victim bit rather a lot. The lib dems are standing by their principles and not forming a coalition with the SNP even although they were very quick to forget them after the last election to join in with labour. Since it's thanks to scots MP's that new labour hold sway in westminster new labour should be worried. Old labour is getting pissed off. I think.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotlan ... =729112007

You might find some of the comments interesting

The "agreement" with the Greens is meaningless window dressing and I'm not sure that I can see "consensus politics" will carry the SNP through for long.

My father, cynical old man that he is, suggested that Alex Salmond will be content with surviving for a day or two as then he'll be entitled to a full First minister's pension in perpetuity :-)

The article does indeed bring out some interesting points. If Jack McConnell did make a deal with the Lib Dems they still wouldn't quite make a majority but could they be asked to form the next government as the largest block available? It could be the saving of both their jobs.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;612262 wrote: The "agreement" with the Greens is meaningless window dressing and I'm not sure that I can see "consensus politics" will carry the SNP through for long.

My father, cynical old man that he is, suggested that Alex Salmond will be content with surviving for a day or two as then he'll be entitled to a full First minister's pension in perpetuity :-)

The article does indeed bring out some interesting points. If Jack McConnell did make a deal with the Lib Dems they still wouldn't quite make a majority but could they be asked to form the next government as the largest block available? It could be the saving of both their jobs.

The sight of them all more interested in squabbling than getting on with things does very little to engender any respect for any of them.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;612388 wrote: The sight of them all more interested in squabbling than getting on with things does very little to engender any respect for any of them.

Respect - Politician

Why am I not seeing any relationionship between the two words here?
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;612389 wrote: Respect - Politician

Why am I not seeing any relationionship between the two words here?

try Respect-George Galloway

http://www.respectcoalition.org/

As fine a man in a leotard as you could wish to meet.

Return to “Scotland”