CPA Vs CA

Big Business, Small Business, Investments, and Personal Finances
Kim007

CPA Vs CA

Post by Kim007 »

CPA Vs CA: What factors should be considered to differentiate the two accounting bodies? What method would you use? For Example; Surveys? ASk the CPA and ICAA? or interview the CEO from both organisations? Pls help me out on how to go about this research... Thanks
misguided_will

CPA Vs CA

Post by misguided_will »

i'm a CA so you might call my views a little bias but here they are..

CA have a stronger technical background.

The CA program content is defined with no electives.

CPA program only has 2 or 3 compulsory subjects which are of a technical nature and the rest are electives can be technical or non-technical.

Some facts..

Many of my classmates who dropped out of the CA program went on to do the CPA program instead and passed.

In Au., all the Big 4 firms (PWC, KPMG, Deloittes, EY) are Chartered Accounting firms...not CPA firms.

I've been sent job specs by recruitment agents for Macquarie Bank. All the job specs specified only CA's would be considered.
Lon

CPA Vs CA

Post by Lon »

Kim007;126484 wrote: CPA Vs CA: What factors should be considered to differentiate the two accounting bodies? What method would you use? For Example; Surveys? ASk the CPA and ICAA? or interview the CEO from both organisations? Pls help me out on how to go about this research... Thanks

Just my opinion, I would prefer to work as a CPA in the US and Canada and CA evey place else.
misguided_will

CPA Vs CA

Post by misguided_will »

Lon;635484 wrote: Just my opinion, I would prefer to work as a CPA in the US and Canada and CA evey place else.

american CPAs are different to Australian CPAs right?

certified PUBLIC accountant vs certified PRACTICING accountant?

i think the only similarities are the acconyms?
misguided_will

CPA Vs CA

Post by misguided_will »

don't know if it has changed but when i did the CA, it was all written...the CPA australia exams were all multiple choice however i heard it was going to change.

it's funny how the CPAs changed all their subject names to mimic those of the CAs and then introduced so called "focus sessions" (also mirroring CA naming) but instead of being compulsory and assessment based, theirs were merely optional informal where they would have a mediator to just sit in on whatever the candidates happened to want to talk about.
misguided_will

CPA Vs CA

Post by misguided_will »

actually you can look at wikipedia for a good summary of the two and the differences and follow up from there.

Kim007;126484 wrote: CPA Vs CA: What factors should be considered to differentiate the two accounting bodies? What method would you use? For Example; Surveys? ASk the CPA and ICAA? or interview the CEO from both organisations? Pls help me out on how to go about this research... Thanks
mshl8188

CPA Vs CA

Post by mshl8188 »

Mr/ Ms misguided_will, I see that you are a CA, I am also a commerce student, I am pursuing my B.Com from Bangalore University. I would like to share some more knowledge with you regarding the CA / CPA. I have been asked to take up the CA course by my father, since he was aware of it and he is my driving force. Later when I started to enquire more about the CA and visited the SIRC branch in Bangalore and collected the prospectus and some more information, I was interested in it. But, the time and dedication it requires is some thing that has to be thought twice before starting it off. Well, we Indians usually pickup courses which fetch us good $$$, i hope you understand, thats why we dont have shortage of Engineers or Doctors in our country but commerce students are looked down upon here, may be because we are not as NERDY as the science students. I also hear many stories / facts from friends and colleagues about CAs, what a CA can do and earn. So, by now you might have known what I am aware about the CA thing. I would also like to know that from which place and when did you complete your CA. Its actually an honour to speak or get in touch with you, because I know people like you are elite and not found on the corner bench of a street, well, thats the case usally. Some time ago, I also had a CA neighbour who had completed his CA just 1 or 2 years ago, I also interacted with him to gai some more knowledge on what is good for me after I complete my B.Com most of my friends have nothing in their mind except for MBA, but I seriously doubt whether they even know the full form of it. I am a bit confused and I am still making up options on whats next after my B.Com. Most of my thoughts are running towards the CA programme. But, I also want to know and gather severe information so that once I start it, I will finish the course completely and I am not the kind of a person to leave things incomplete or runaway from something thats difficult, though my academics are not as bright as you may think, I am willing to put that EXTRA EFFORT for the CA program. Hope to hear from you soon.:)
misguided_will

CPA Vs CA

Post by misguided_will »

hi there mshl8188 and thanks for your kind words.

i guess it will be hard for me to speak and try translate my experiences and views since i am an australian CA. i can however share my thoughts and experiences from an australian context and then have a guess at how it may or may not apply to your situation.

firstly in australia there is the ICAA and the CPAA. NOTE that the CPA in australia is certified PRACTICING accountant and NOT the american certified PUBLIC accountant which is of a higher league. the programs in australia and quite different in that the CA program is much more demending with compulsory workshops on which you are scored, presentations, assignments and a written final exam. all 5 modules are set with no electives. this contrast greatly to the CPAA program which has electives, multiple choice exams and no assessments or classes. i guess testament to the CA vs CPA is that the Big 4 firms are all CA firms NOT CPA firms. that in itself i think says a lot! also most ppl who FAIL the CA programs go on to the CPA program instead as it is less demanding. so i think the CA program training is great as you learn to think more about applying concepts whereas the CPA program is very much showing you HOW to do something but not extend it beyond a given situation. i have found this to be the case when using a tax accountant (one was a CPA and the other a CA).

About me. I did my CA while working in commerce within financial services organisations including state street, jp morgan and ing.

In recommending a course, i depends on motive. if in australia and u didn't want to go global or want to work for large more picky organisations, i think a CPA would be fine as it's less demanding and the fastest way to get professional qualified.

given your situation, i think need to similarly consider if you plan to work abroad and how the CA is regarded in the future industries and countries you plan to work for. this might be a long shot but maybe read a little about the CEO of pepsi and her story. she would be a great way to get one perspective.

what are the alternatives to the CA program in india?

from what i know of india and trends in my mind are that obviously india and china are the heavyweights of the future. i think it might be good to think about how you can position yourself to take advantage of india's upcoming rise. IT would seem to be the main driver. i work in mgmt accounting and the future is very much focused on technology and advancements in Business Intelligence. You're in a good position to get into this by getting your CA qualification and moving into systems accounting type work if wanting to work in commerce. if professional services is more your thing, you'll need the CA for sure.

anyway not sure if i have been much help but just some thoughts that might be helpful.
mshl8188

CPA Vs CA

Post by mshl8188 »

mis_guided will, I am thankful for you effort in replying to my post. Well, the information you gave me was helpful, I first got to know that you are a CA from Australia. I was thinking that you might be an Indian CA. Anyways, a CA is a CA. I have great respect for CAs. Well, since you asked me an alternative of a CA in India, I dont think there is one, we do not have a CPA programme. People who say that CA is tough and takes too long to complete and are not willing to pursue that course try their hand on ICWA ( Indian Cost Works Accounts) this is a seperate chapter in India. Since its not a statutory regulation by the Govt. of India for a company to maintain a Cost Works Accountant it still has less demand because these Accountants prepare records which are only helpful for the Internal purpose and for the preparation of company final accounts by the CAs. Well, I have also heard from some CAs and other of my colleagues that a CPA (USA) is also in good demand these days as they told that the (USA) has made it statutory for all those companies who are from the US or atleast have their footprint in the USA, should get their accounts settled and audited from a CPA, unless this is done, the company's accounts will not be recognised. My neighbour, who recently shifted to the Indian capital (his home town) also said the same thing. Well, as of now I may not be able to afford the CPA from US because it will need my presence to write the exam in the US. So, for time being my thought is to stick to the CA itself, well, I have still not completely decided about it because the CA in India will cost nearly 4 years of life if one passes all the exams in a single shot, other wise just to repeat the paper, you may have to wait for 6 months. And as far as the Indian market is concerned yes, it is good but I am not interested to stay here, I may work here for some years to gain some work experience and stuff like that. I actually stay in the software capital of India, its a city in south of India its called Bangalore. You know a guy from my city got caught for not sharing information related to the London bomb blast and he was a doctor in Australia, he is from my city, I am ashamed a bit to say that, but I just wanted you to get a picture of my place. Hey, we dont breed terrorists here, please dont think about it, I wanted you to know that this is the place where I live:-3. Well, the IT here also requires CAs and other industries also require CAs as you know its a statutory thing. Plus, my other neighbour who was working in a good Indian IT company shifted to Australia, he lives in Melbourne now. So, most people here look for the PAY and then think of where to STAY. Well, this is changing these days as there are better paying jobs available now, all due to IT and other development. But, according to me nothing can compensate the good quality of life that you live else where except in India. So, first things first, I will be finishing my bachelor's degree first and then will think of something and definitely taking advise from people like you and also my father. I wanted to know one more thing, can an Indian CA work in Australia as a CA? How long did it take for you to complete your CA? What if I wanted to come to Australia to work what could the average pay package be? :thinking:Please let me know that. Take care.

Bye
mshl8188

CPA Vs CA

Post by mshl8188 »

misguided_will;878677 wrote: hi there mshl8188 and thanks for your kind words.

i guess it will be hard for me to speak and try translate my experiences and views since i am an australian CA. i can however share my thoughts and experiences from an australian context and then have a guess at how it may or may not apply to your situation.

firstly in australia there is the ICAA and the CPAA. NOTE that the CPA in australia is certified PRACTICING accountant and NOT the american certified PUBLIC accountant which is of a higher league. the programs in australia and quite different in that the CA program is much more demending with compulsory workshops on which you are scored, presentations, assignments and a written final exam. all 5 modules are set with no electives. this contrast greatly to the CPAA program which has electives, multiple choice exams and no assessments or classes. i guess testament to the CA vs CPA is that the Big 4 firms are all CA firms NOT CPA firms. that in itself i think says a lot! also most ppl who FAIL the CA programs go on to the CPA program instead as it is less demanding. so i think the CA program training is great as you learn to think more about applying concepts whereas the CPA program is very much showing you HOW to do something but not extend it beyond a given situation. i have found this to be the case when using a tax accountant (one was a CPA and the other a CA).

About me. I did my CA while working in commerce within financial services organisations including state street, jp morgan and ing.

In recommending a course, i depends on motive. if in australia and u didn't want to go global or want to work for large more picky organisations, i think a CPA would be fine as it's less demanding and the fastest way to get professional qualified.

given your situation, i think need to similarly consider if you plan to work abroad and how the CA is regarded in the future industries and countries you plan to work for. this might be a long shot but maybe read a little about the CEO of pepsi and her story. she would be a great way to get one perspective.

what are the alternatives to the CA program in india?

from what i know of india and trends in my mind are that obviously india and china are the heavyweights of the future. i think it might be good to think about how you can position yourself to take advantage of india's upcoming rise. IT would seem to be the main driver. i work in mgmt accounting and the future is very much focused on technology and advancements in Business Intelligence. You're in a good position to get into this by getting your CA qualification and moving into systems accounting type work if wanting to work in commerce. if professional services is more your thing, you'll need the CA for sure.

anyway not sure if i have been much help but just some thoughts that might be helpful.
Hello misguided_will,

Have not heard from you about my previous questions asked to you. I guess you are busy, but I still hope that you will try to take some time out to type some information here. I also want to make sure about whether you felt bad when I told you about that person who is from my city.Well, I am eagerly waiting for your reply.

Return to “Wall Street to Main Street”