Into That Darkness...The Mind Of The 'True Believer'

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

All believers are psychopaths

I'm a believer

Therefore I'm a psychopath....

...(a psychopathic kitten) AND may very well seek to sit gingerly in close proximity to Glaswegian or gmc on Scottish public transport with a somewhat constipated look on my face not caused by a marinating fur ball. If so BEWARE!!!!!

Anyone like a cup of tea?
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

Glaswegian;1304899 wrote: Yes, I do care. And so would you if one of those psychopathic believers was seated next to you on a bus with a load of Semtex up his arse.
AL QAEDA BOMBERS LEARN FROM DRUG SMUGGLERS

CBS News Report (28th September 2009)

'Al Qaeda has developed a new tactic that allows suicide bombers to breach even the tightest security.

Inside a Saudi palace, the scene was the bloody aftermath of an Al Qaeda attack in August aimed at killing Prince Mohammed Bin Nayef, head of Saudi Arabia's counter terrorism operations.

To get his bomb into this room, Abdullah Asieri, one of Saudi Arabia's most wanted men, avoided detection by two sets of airport security including metal detectors and palace security. He spent thirty hours in the close company of the prince's own secret service agents - all without anyone suspecting a thing. How did he do it?

Taking a trick from the narcotics trade - which has long smuggled drugs in body cavities - Asieri had a pound of high explosives, plus a detonator inserted in his rectum.'

~o0o~

Apparently the battle-cry which this type of suicide bomber yells just prior to detonation is: 'God is great! And so are His farts!'
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

One really unpleasant instance.

But to go from the particular to the universal - that is just plain illogical.

Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

AussiePam;1304927 wrote: One really unpleasant instance.

But to go from the particular to the universal - that is just plain illogical.
If you recall, Pam - I stated earlier in the thread that religious believers exemplify varying degrees of psychopathology. This means that they cover a broad spectrum.

I would guess that you are located at the healthier end of that spectrum.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Glaswegian;1304929 wrote: If you recall, Pam - I stated earlier in the thread that religious believers exemplify varying degrees of psychopathology. This means that they cover a broad spectrum.

I would guess that you are located at the healthier end of that spectrum.

I'd amend that to: humans exemplify varying degrees of psychopathology.

But thank you, Snookums. And I did manage 20 pushups this morning. On my toes.

gmc

Post by gmc »

Ahso!;1304829 wrote: No credible science I've ever heard of does seek to explain this. Consciousness takes place in the brain, doesn't it? Unless the brain itself lives on indefinitely, consciousness dies with the rest of the body.

I do agree though that insulting religious people such as has been done is not going to do anything except cost the poster credibility. Continued insistence that believers are psychopathic is so far off the mark its becoming laughable. But you obviously don't care, do you?

If I was the one calling them psychopaths I probably wouldn't but I haven't, so far as I can remember, called anyone a psychopath anywhere on this board.

Please note GMC and Glaswegian are two different people. I am the good looking one :sneaky:

Does not psychology and psychiatry in one way or another seek to find out what makes us conscious?

psychiatry

1846, from Fr. psychiatrie, from M.L. psychiatria, lit. "a healing of the soul," from Gk. psykhe- "mind" (see psyche) + iatreia "healing, care." Psychiatrist first recorded 1890; the older name was mad-doctor (1703).

If you want to know what makes you conscious then when does it end is the next question surely? Consciousness dies with the body is a reasonable assumption but assuming we have all the answers is not imo.

posted by glaswegian

Yes, consciousness is mysterious. But there is no logical reason why Science won't be able to account for it in, say, twenty years or fifty years or two hundred years.

Science has had only four centuries to show what it can do (leaving aside the marvellous contribution made by the Ancient Greeks). If it has taught us anything then it is this - we should not be overly awed by the mysterious. We should not behave in the manner of the monkeys in 2001: A Space Odyssey when they were confronted with the monolith. We do ourselves a disservice when we take that approach.

It wasn't so long ago that human illness was regarded as mysterious. We had no real idea of what caused it. Religion, of course, held that it was brought about by demons. But Religion is colossally ignorant. Then Science gave us the germ theory of disease. Why shouldn't human consciousness eventually prove just as amenable to rational explanation?

Imagine a century from now Neuroscience discovers that consciousness is necessarily tied to the brain. Then Religion will be dealt a crushing blow. And millions of people who are psychologically dependent on the belief in an afterlife in order to get through this life will be very put out as well. It is because Science has the potential to make discoveries of this kind that many religionists are extremely hostile towards it.

Perhaps it will but even if it does there will always be those who prefer to believe in god. Faith does not need any evidence.

To get his bomb into this room, Abdullah Asieri, one of Saudi Arabia's most wanted men, avoided detection by two sets of airport security including metal detectors and palace security. He spent thirty hours in the close company of the prince's own secret service agents - all without anyone suspecting a thing. How did he do it?

Graffiti seen in saudi bathroom. Here I sit broken hearted, came in sat down and only BOOM
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1304958 wrote: If I was the one calling them psychopaths I probably wouldn't but I haven't, so far as I can remember, called anyone a psychopath anywhere on this board.

Please note GMC and Glaswegian are two different people. I am the good looking one :sneaky:

Does not psychology and psychiatry in one way or another seek to find out what makes us conscious?

If you want to know what makes you conscious then when does it end is the next question surely? Consciousness dies with the body is a reasonable assumption but assuming we have all the answers is not imo.

posted by glaswegian

Perhaps it will but even if it does there will always be those who prefer to believe in god. Faith does not need any evidence.

Graffiti seen in saudi bathroom. Here I sit broken hearted, came in sat down and only BOOMI like the joke. And I put space between my paragraphs for a reason. The second one was not a response to anything you said.

What is it you're suggesting we don't know concerning consciousness and it taking place in the brain, gmc? Are you suggesting there is a ghost living inside each of us?

PLEASE!

Seriously, I don't have a problem with religion, but lets keep it real at least. There is nothing wrong with asking religious people to be responsible and explain themselves and their beliefs. The difference today with many of the young people coming up behind us is they want this idea of religion to make some sense, thats all. Ghosts aren't real!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

Ahso!;1304829 wrote: Continued insistence that believers are psychopathic is so far off the mark its becoming laughable.
'The young man boards the bus as it leaves the terminal. He wears an overcoat. Beneath his overcoat, he is wearing a bomb. His pockets are filled with nails, ball bearings, and rat poison.

The bus is crowded and headed for the heart of the city. The young man takes his seat beside a middle-aged couple. He will wait for the bus to reach its next stop. The couple at his side appears to be shopping for a new refrigerator. The woman has decided on a model, but her husband worries that it will be too expensive. He indicates another one in a brochure that lies open on her lap. The next stop comes into view. The bus doors swing. The women observes that the model her husband has selected will not fit in the space underneath their cabinets. New passengers have taken the last remaining seats and begun gathering in the aisle. The bus is now full. The young man smiles. With the press of a button he destroys himself, the couple at his side, and twenty others on the bus. The nails, ball bearings, and rat poison ensure further casualties on the street and in the surrounding cars. All has gone according to plan.

The young man's parents soon learn of his fate. Although saddened to have lost a son, they feel tremendous pride at his accomplishment. They know that he has gone to heaven and prepared the way for them to follow. He has also sent his victims to hell for eternity. It is a double victory. The neighbors find the event a great cause for celebration and honor the young man's parents by giving them gifts of food and money.

These are the facts. This is all we know for certain about the young man. Is there anything else that we can infer about him on the basis of his behavior? Was he popular at school? Was he rich or was he poor? Was he of low or high intelligence? His actions leave no clue at all. Did he have a college education? Did he have a bright future as a mechanical engineer? His behavior is simply mute on questions of this sort, and hundreds like them. Why is it so easy, then, so trivially easy - you-could-almost-bet-your-life-on-it easy - to guess the young man's religion?' Sam Harris, The End Of Faith (2006)
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

gmc;1304958 wrote: Please note GMC and Glaswegian are two different people. I am the good looking one :sneaky:
In spite of your hermaphroditism, what you say is true.
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

AussiePam;1304935 wrote: I'd amend that to: humans exemplify varying degrees of psychopathology.
Psychopathology is evident in many realms of human behaviour. I'm focussing on religious psychopathology because this is the General Religious Discussions forum.

AussiePam wrote: But thank you, Snookums. And I did manage 20 pushups this morning. On my toes.
No doubt about it, Pam. You are one healthy psychopath.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Glaswegian;1305048 wrote: Psychopathology is evident in many realms of human behaviour. I'm focussing on religious psychopathology because this is the General Religious Discussions forum.

Yes, I know it's the religious discussion forum. I agree absolutely that psychopathology is found among some "religious" people and that some of these psychopathological religious people have gone on to do awful things. Like you, I deplore these awful things.

But the whole tenor of your approach strongly implies that it is religion itself which causes this psychopathology. It is this sweeping, unsupported - except by anecdote - idea that I take issue with.

Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

gmc;1304823 wrote: I am actually familiar with the history of spiritualism and would agree with you in your assessment and certainly post ww1 there were a lot of charlatans wanting to take advantage of the bereaved.
It is not only spiritualism which has been guilty of fraud, trickery and brazen cheating throughout its history. The same is true of Parapsychological investigations of 'psi' phenomena carried out in universities - even prestigious ones. Don't think that it is only test candidates who have been caught cheating in parapsychological experiments (e.g., Geller). Parapsychologists themselves have rigged test conditions and repeatedly faked data in order to make their experimental results look better (e.g., 'remote viewing' investigators Targ and Puthoff). N.B. - research grants are at stake in this murky game.

Historically, scientific investigations of 'psi' and spiritualistic phenomena have been conducted atrociously, with experiments being badly designed and the possibility of cheating not completely excluded. Scientists have often proved to be among the worst investigators of this kind of stuff. Many of them have been too naive and easily fooled by 'psychic' sharpies who thrive in a realm of smoke and mirrors. This is why scientists must work in conjunction with those who are highly skilled at detecting trickery - viz. professional conjurors and magicians. When the latter are around, the 'spirits' never appear. Why? Because the 'spirits' are shy, we're told, and some of us actually believe it.
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

AussiePam;1305049 wrote: But the whole tenor of your approach strongly implies that it is religion itself which causes this psychopathology. It is this sweeping, unsupported - except by anecdote - idea that I take issue with.

I understand Religion in a very broad sense, Pam. For me Religion is a cultural phenomenon which encompasses a history, a community of believers (past and present), a world-view, a metaphysical system (e.g., gods, demons, heaven, hell), religious texts, religious beliefs, religious meanings, religious interpretations, religious traditions, and so on.

The reason why I take issue with Religion - understood in this broad sense - is because I see all of these things as operating to produce varying degrees of psychopathology in individuals.

Tomorrow I'll try to demonstrate how this happens with an example drawn from recent history.
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

AussiePam;1305049 wrote: But the whole tenor of your approach strongly implies that it is religion itself which causes this psychopathology.
Could you clarify a little what you mean by the term 'religion itself', Pam?

You don't have to do this in great detail. Just give me some idea of what you understand by the term. Then I can try to tie it in with the example I spoke about above.

Much appreciated.
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by ahso

What is it you're suggesting we don't know concerning consciousness and it taking place in the brain, gmc? Are you suggesting there is a ghost living inside each of us?

I'm not suggesting anything I'm stating there is much we don't know about what gives people a sense of self. Nature, nurture or genetics take your pick. There has also been a great deal of harm done by people who think they have answers and the arrogance to think it OK to experiment on people for the greater good. I've always thought there was a great deal of similarity between those who think like that and religious fundamentalists.

If Josef Mengele was insane then was Tomás de Torquemada? What makes one mad and the other a religious fanatic? Why is someone blowing up an abortion clinic in the states or killing an abortion doctor not as bad as a suicide bomber blowing up a bus on iraq? why is one action extreme but understandable and the other the act of a religious fanatic?

posted by glaswegian

It is not only spiritualism which has been guilty of fraud, trickery and brazen cheating throughout its history. The same is true of Parapsychological investigations of 'psi' phenomena carried out in universities - even prestigious ones. Don't think that it is only test candidates who have been caught cheating in parapsychological experiments (e.g., Geller). Parapsychologists themselves have rigged test conditions and repeatedly faked data in order to make their experimental results look better (e.g., 'remote viewing' investigators Targ and Puthoff). N.B. - research grants are at stake in this murky game.

Historically, scientific investigations of 'psi' and spiritualistic phenomena have been conducted atrociously, with experiments being badly designed and the possibility of cheating not completely excluded. Scientists have often proved to be among the worst investigators of this kind of stuff. Many of them have been too naive and easily fooled by 'psychic' sharpies who thrive in a realm of smoke and mirrors. This is why scientists must work in conjunction with those who are highly skilled at detecting trickery - viz. professional conjurors and magicians. When the latter are around, the 'spirits' never appear. Why? Because the 'spirits' are shy, we're told, and some of us actually believe it.

All true, but there still remain some events we can't yet explain. People used to believe the earth was flat, deep sea sailors have always known that wasn't the case through simple observation. Many people have anecdotal experience of psi events maybe scientists some day will find something.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1305130 wrote:

I'm not suggesting anything I'm stating there is much we don't know about what gives people a sense of self. Nature, nurture or genetics take your pick. There has also been a great deal of harm done by people who think they have answers and the arrogance to think it OK to experiment on people for the greater good. I've always thought there was a great deal of similarity between those who think like that and religious fundamentalists.

This is the religious forum, gmc. We know consciousness takes place in the brain and there are no ghosts living inside us.

I'm with you on the experimental stuff on humans and animals. That doesn't need to happen, but as long as we insists its all a mystery we will continue to do it. And its shameful.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

For AussiePam:

What you posted in reply to the request I made earlier was fine, Pam. But if you want to revise it, I'll wait.

Okay?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

AussiePam;1305049 wrote: Yes, I know it's the religious discussion forum. I agree absolutely that psychopathology is found among some "religious" people and that some of these psychopathological religious people have gone on to do awful things. Like you, I deplore these awful things.

But the whole tenor of your approach strongly implies that it is religion itself which causes this psychopathology. It is this sweeping, unsupported - except by anecdote - idea that I take issue with.Not me! I'm not buying any of it, Glaswegian.

You're ideas are no less false than what religious believers believe. Merely because there is popular support for it means not a whole lot to me.

You still have yet to put up a standard. Produce the persons brain that we measure all this against. You can't do that though because that person is as mythical as God.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ahso!;1305133 wrote: This is the religious forum, gmc. We know consciousness takes place in the brain and there are no ghosts living inside us.

I'm with you on the experimental stuff on humans and animals. That doesn't need to happen, but as long as we insists its all a mystery we will continue to do it. And its shameful.

Does it really take place in the brain? Prove it. All you can conclude is that you are self aware because you are thinking about it. All else is based on the evidence you can gather and decide to accept as valid. Your existence is confirmed by your interaction with the world around you so if you cease to interact perhaps your consciousness does end. However, when you sleep you enter another realm of consciousness (assuming you accept the evidence of brain activity when sleeping) so when you are dead perhaps something else happens we don't know about.

Religion is an explanation people developed to try and answer some of these questions. Some latch on to religion because it's easier than thinking about it or it's the best answer they've found so far and become fanatical about it but does that make them insane as Glaswegian suggests?

Religion is seeking to find the meaning of life, it's a way of explaining the universe, so why should other ways of looking at the universe also belong on a religious forum? If you don't question and challenge religion then all it is is a form of mental masturbation which may explain the addiction some of the followers have for it.

How many of those followers will just see the last sentence and just decide to be offended without putting it in context?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1305146 wrote: Does it really take place in the brain? Prove it. All you can conclude is that you are self aware because you are thinking about it. All else is based on the evidence you can gather and decide to accept as valid. Your existence is confirmed by your interaction with the world around you so if you cease to interact perhaps your consciousness does end. However, when you sleep you enter another realm of consciousness (assuming you accept the evidence of brain activity when sleeping) so when you are dead perhaps something else happens we don't know about.

Where else in the body do you propose this takes place?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

gmc;1305146 wrote: If you don't question and challenge religion then all it is is a form of mental masturbation which may explain the addiction some of the followers have for it.

How many of those followers will just see the last sentence and just decide to be offended without putting it in context?
Yes. I wonder too, gmc.

How many of them will deliberately allow themselves to be rubbed by it? How many of them will do this just so as they can ejaculate howls of protest? Can't they even get the thrust of what it is you're trying to say? Can't they grasp your point at all? What has made them so blind?

Does anyone have a cloth? (For the religionists)
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ahso!;1305147 wrote: Where else in the body do you propose this takes place?

I'm not proposing it takes place anywhere else in the body. What is consciousness anyway? Establish that and you can start looking for it.

posted by glaswegian

Yes. I wonder too, gmc.

How many of them will deliberately allow themselves to be rubbed up the wrong way by it? How many of them will do this just so as they can ejaculate howls of protest? Can't they even get the thrust of what it is you're trying to say? Can't they grasp your point at all? What has made them so blind?

Does anyone have a cloth? (For the religionists)

tak tsk. I was kind of borderline with that one, no need to get carried away.

It would be interesting to see what is happening in the brain chemistry during one of these evangelical happenings, speaking in tongues or whatever. When the spirit moves you is it a chemical reaction?

I actually know a couple of diagnosed schizophrenics and you can tell when the medication is beginning to wear off and one in particular who turns from a really likeable nice gentle bloke in to one that is actually dangerous is distressing to watch as you know what is happening and can't stop it and he can't help himself. Mental illness is disturbing because it means accepting that sometimes a person, their soul, consciousness, call it what you will is not in control, much easier to blame an outside agency, spirits, the devil whatever.

There might be some validity in religion feeding on mental illness just as it feeds on people needs for an answer leaving them open to manipulation but to dismiss it all as merely psychopathic behaviour is just too simplistic. I'm right you are insane let me show you the light is no different from you are a lost soul let me show you the path to god I have the way and all the answers.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1305176 wrote: I'm not proposing it takes place anywhere else in the body. What is consciousness anyway? Establish that and you can start looking for it.You can start here;

Human brain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then go here;

Consciousness and neuroscience -- Crick and Koch 8 (2): 97 -- Cerebral Cortex

If that doesn't answer your questions, let me know.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ahso!;1305182 wrote: You can start here;

Human brain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then go here;

Consciousness and neuroscience -- Crick and Koch 8 (2): 97 -- Cerebral Cortex

If that doesn't answer your questions, let me know.

way ahead of you, you can start here:sneaky:

Cogito ergo sum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consciousness (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

This is the religious forum, gmc.

religion and science

religion and philosophy

You can't really separate them all unless you just don't want to be bothered thinking about it and just accept what you are told in church.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1305199 wrote: way ahead of you, you can start here:sneaky:

cogito ergo sum - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

consciousness (stanford encyclopedia of philosophy)

religion and science

religion and philosophy

you can't really separate them all unless you just don't want to be bothered thinking about it and just accept what you are told in church.yikes!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1305130 wrote:

All true, but there still remain some events we can't yet explain. People used to believe the earth was flat, deep sea sailors have always known that wasn't the case through simple observation.

Ah, the Flat Earth, again.

You know that nobody has REALLY believed the flat earth thing for at least a few thousand years, don't you.

The great Flat Earth myth was really an invention of the 19th century, to try and show how ignorant the pre-Reformation Europeans were.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1305232 wrote: Ah, the Flat Earth, again.

You know that nobody has REALLY believed the flat earth thing for at least a few thousand years, don't you.

The great Flat Earth myth was really an invention of the 19th century, to try and show how ignorant the pre-Reformation Europeans were.

If people can believe god had a son with a woman without having sex, get him killed so that all man's sins would be forgiven, bring him back from the dead thereby spawning the first ever zombie story - and by the way god and the son are one and the same then it is possible people will believe the earth is flat.

theflatearthsociety.org - Index

course we could all be in a computer and this is a computer game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/scien ... .html?_r=1

The Flat Earth Society -- Home

Seems to be based in alaska??

The reality is that the earth is a giant computer was built by mice to find out the meaning of life the universe and everything.

The answer is 42 and if you can't prove the computer doesn't exist then it must exist else how else did the earth get here? Please don't offend my sensibilities by laughing or I will set the chocolate muffin on you.
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

gmc;1305236 wrote: The reality is that the earth is a giant computer was built by mice to find out the meaning of life the universe and everything.
Is it possible to petition the mice with prayer?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Glaswegian;1305237 wrote: Is it possible to petition the mice with prayer?Probably not, but they might be interested in Bullsh!t Psychology!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

Glaswegian;1305237 wrote: Is it possible to petition the mice with prayer?

For a small consideration I can sell you a piece holy cheese that you may use in supplication.
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

gmc;1305253 wrote: For a small consideration I can sell you a piece holy cheese that you may use in supplication.
Could this piece of holy cheese be used to feed a multitude of mice - say, Five Thousand?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Morning Boys. The answer is certainly 42, but what was the question?

Yikes.. smells kinda rank in here.... :sneaky:

Dunno about us believers doing the mental wanking. Looks like yall got into a bit of a hot panting frenzy in here quite on your atheistic own and a happy ending appears to have been had by all. I'll leave you to clean up.

:yh_rotfl

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

AussiePam;1305263 wrote: Morning Boys. The answer is certainly 42, but what was the question?

Yikes.. smells kinda rank in here.... :sneaky:

Dunno about us believers doing the mental wanking. Looks like yall got into a bit of a hot panting frenzy in here quite on your atheistic own and a happy ending appears to have been had by all. I'll leave you to clean up.

:yh_rotflHaven't had your coffee yet? You'll be back talkin' gibberish once you get a couple hit of caffeine in ya. Thats faith talkin'!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Ahso!;1305264 wrote: Haven't had your coffee yet? You'll be back talkin' gibberish once you get a couple hit of caffeine in ya. Thats faith talkin'!

You really are a silly monkey, Ahso!!! (said affectionately)

But you're right, I haven't had me coffee yet. I'll bring you back a banana.

Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

gmc;1305236 wrote: The reality is that the earth is a giant computer was built by mice to find out the meaning of life the universe and everything.
THE MICENE CREED

We believe in one Mouse, the Almighty Father Mouse, Maker of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Mouse, the Mouse of Mouse, begotten of the Father Mouse, Light of Light, very Mouse of very Mouse, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father Mouse;

By which all things were made;

Which for us men, and for our salvation, came down and was incarnate and was made mouse;

It suffered, and the third day it rose again, ascended into heaven;

From thence it shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

And in the Holy Mouse.

~o0o~
gmc

Post by gmc »

Glaswegian;1305285 wrote: THE MICENE CREED

We believe in one Mouse, the Almighty Father Mouse, Maker of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Mouse, the Mouse of Mouse, begotten of the Father Mouse, Light of Light, very Mouse of very Mouse, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father Mouse;

By which all things were made;

Which for us men, and for our salvation, came down and was incarnate and was made mouse;

It suffered, and the third day it rose again, ascended into heaven;

From thence it shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

And in the Holy Mouse.

~o0o~

Typical that is. Write out the part played by the virgin minnie mouse who bore the son of the father mouse. Couldn't do it on his own could he? No took a woman to make it all happen but let's just ignore that bit. Next you'll be claiming she was just an empty vessel in to which the holy spirit flowed.

posted by aussie pam

Morning Boys. The answer is certainly 42, but what was the question?

Yikes.. smells kinda rank in here....

If you don't know the question why do you believe religion has any answers?
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

BRINGING IN THE CHEESE

Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness

Sowing in the noontide and the dewy eve

Waiting for the harvest and the time of reaping

We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the cheese

Bringing in the cheese, bringing in the cheese

~o0o~
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

What about the mice that act as intermediaries between the Father Mouse that created the computer simulation and ourselves here within it? - the 'mice of the air' as they are sometimes called. Do they have wings?
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

Glaswegian wrote: Is it possible to petition the mice with prayer?
Ahso!;1305241 wrote: Probably not, but they might be interested in Bullsh!t Psychology!
What about the mouse that died in a mousetrap for all our sins two thousand years ago?

Is it true that it could turn sawdust into cheese?
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

AussiePam;1304903 wrote: Anyone like a cup of tea?
Yes please.

Got any cheese?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

The meece shall inherit the Earth....or is it the Greek ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

Post by gmc »

Glaswegian;1305315 wrote: BRINGING IN THE CHEESE

Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness

Sowing in the noontide and the dewy eve

Waiting for the harvest and the time of reaping

~o0o~

You are on the wrong path my son you don't reap cheese it's not a plant. Half a dozen posts and already there is a schism.:-5:-5

posted by aussie pam

Must admit though your perspectives have changed I bet. Next time you read about the rapture you will have to hide a smile.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Um, mice don't really like cheese, either.

Dang! another myth busted.
- DH Lawrence
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

gmc;1305445 wrote: You are on the wrong path my son you don't reap cheese it's not a plant.
'They have sown the Gouda, and they shall reap the Gorgonzola.' (Hosea 8: 7)
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

LarsMac;1305622 wrote: Um, mice don't really like cheese, either.
'Greater love hath no mouse than this, that it lays down its life for a piece of Mozzarella.' (John 15: 13)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

"The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men gang aft agley."

- Burns

Good Mice, put your trust in the corn.
- DH Lawrence
albertpollard

Post by albertpollard »

Snowfire;1305347 wrote: The meece shall inherit the Earth....or is it the Greek ?

It was the Geeks who would inherit the earth.

Anyway, it is an interesting take on religion or actually faith in ANYTHING! There are few individuals who are truly self-assured and so the sickness exists in all of us, whether we are seeking money, status, or GOD in whatever form he or she takes we are prone to the same behaviors and irrationalities to protect and further our beliefs.

Me, I just cling to my Guns and my Bible!
NEWS FLASH! The Universe is God's Petri Dish.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

albertpollard;1306132 wrote: It was the Geeks who would inherit the earth.

Anyway, it is an interesting take on religion or actually faith in ANYTHING! There are few individuals who are truly self-assured and so the sickness exists in all of us, whether we are seeking money, status, or GOD in whatever form he or she takes we are prone to the same behaviors and irrationalities to protect and further our beliefs.

Me, I just cling to my Guns and my Bible!

You can have you guns and bibles and crucifices, and politics, and human reason.

My God is my fortress and my Strong Tower.

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? The LORD taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me.

It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

Psalm 118:6-8

(just in case there was any doubt where I stood on the matter.)
- DH Lawrence
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

It all stinks like Stilton to me.

But that always goes good on a slice of crusty bread or a wafer.

Perhaps a wafer of the son mouses flesh would do.

I hope it's fresh!
Glaswegian

Post by Glaswegian »

Amythest;1306161 wrote: It all stinks like Stilton to me.
'Get thee behind me, Stilton.' (Mark 8: 33)

Return to “General Religious Discussions”