Does God consider homosexuality a sin

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Ted

Post by Ted »

JAB:-6

You are absolutely correct. Does that mean you stay away from the doctor when you are seriously ill and perhaps dying? When we put the Bible ahead of science and medicine we are misusing the Bible and dishonoring the God who gave us the science in the first place. It is called biblioatry.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Ted

Post by Ted »

Hoss:-6

"The Bible says . . ." Science says . . .. I don't care what science says I will take the Bible over it regardless. This is to place the Bible as an object of worship. God gave us the wisdom and the science and the brilliant minds to help us out and to deny that is to dishonor what God gave us. It is also to ignore what Jesus himself told us in John 16 that as we were able to receive it more knowledge would be revealed to us.

The Bible is an ancient document written by men in a time when they had no clue as to most scientific discoveries. Heavens, epilepsy was caused by demon possession. Look at what they did to Galileo in the name of God. They were so convinced that the Bible was correct that they could not accept irrefutable scientific evidence. They did the same to numerous other scientists as well.

To worship the Bible as if it were God is to overlook the fact that there is only one living word of God; the Risen One. Either we accept what he said in John 16 or we dishonor his words and make of the Bible a dead document which I do not believe it is.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

JAB:-6

Now that is something I can agree with. I rather suspect that we never will have all the answers at least not in the present reality.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

Have you ever read an actual scientific research document? Have you done the math and the calculations to check and see if they were correct. Did you check the original data? I rather doubt it since it involves thousands of pages usually along with complicated computer analysis. But that is OK. It is immaterial to me. I will accept the scientific findings on this one as opposed to the Bible which, BTW I happen to believe that God uses to speak to us as he does other things.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

Whatever.

You give LeVays far more credit than to which he is entitled. He was not used a a good deal of those articles.

Everything in science is called a theory even if it has been conclusively proven but that is an whole other story.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

Whatever.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

I chose not to respond otherwise because it could be taken as a personal attack. It seems to me that until we get by the impasse of an inerrant Bible there is little room to maneuver in a discussion.

Your reference to the table of elements as fact is not well founded. To the scientist it is still but a theory. Even though the evidence for evolution is conclusive they still refer to it as a theory. Even though E=mc2 has proven itself it is still referred to as a theory.

What you have given me in your response to the whole issue of homosexuality is simply your opinion based on a book that I do not see as either a history or a science book. It is, has been and will always be a religious book and thus subject to a multiple of interpretations on spiritual issues and has nothing to say to either history or science as such though it does contain a few kernels of history spread throughout.

I do, however, appreciate your participation here and commend you for it.

I guess that is my 65 years to your 18 speaking.

Shalom

Ted
Odie

Post by Odie »

god accepts everyone!
Life is just to short for drama.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Odie:-6

I'm inclined to go along with that one. I fail to see how free will is expressed by "do it my way or burn baby." That is not free will but out and out coercion.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

I'm sorry to hear about your day. Wow! I guess we all have days like that even after retirement.

I certainly have no objections to carrying on the discussion. I just did not want to sound as if I was making a personal attack. That is not my style. So carry on. I will be away for the next few days on a brief trip up north. Just something different to do.

May the peace of Christ be with you.

Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Odie;980290 wrote: god accepts everyone!But not their sins! But just because you slip up and cuss and get hit by a bus and die does not mean you are going to hell... I'm not claiming to know everything but I'm sure in fact a 100% positive that the bible says NO MAS! (meaning no) Homosexuality is no mas. But it doesn't mean he doesn't love the person... he just doesn't like sin... again... i'm still figuring it all out...
Smoke signals ftw!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Omni_Skittles;1006281 wrote: But not their sins! But just because you slip up and cuss and get hit by a bus and die does not mean you are going to hell... I'm not claiming to know everything but I'm sure in fact a 100% positive that the bible says NO MAS! (meaning no) Homosexuality is no mas. But it doesn't mean he doesn't love the person... he just doesn't like sin... again... i'm still figuring it all out...
So now your saying GOD is Spanish or Mexican?:wah:
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Hoss;1006322 wrote: If God is mexican then I'm thanking him for the food. :wah:
I'm with ya there brother..:D
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

YZGI;1006298 wrote: So now your saying GOD is Spanish or Mexican?:wah:
yeah... exactly what i was saying.
Smoke signals ftw!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Omni:-6

First of all, glad to see you back.:-6

I am certainly happy that you choose to leave the judging up to God. Especially since the Bible does say that God will be merciful to whom he will be merciful and S/He also says in James that mercy triumphs over judgment. Let us always remember to refrain from trying to second guess or tell God what S/He can and cannot do.

Shalom

Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Ted;1007642 wrote: Omni:-6

First of all, glad to see you back.:-6

I am certainly happy that you choose to leave the judging up to God. Especially since the Bible does say that God will be merciful to whom he will be merciful and S/He also says in James that mercy triumphs over judgment. Let us always remember to refrain from trying to second guess or tell God what S/He can and cannot do.

Shalom

Ted:-6why are you doing the whole he/she thing?
Smoke signals ftw!
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Can someone remind me which bit of the Bible makes it clear God considers homosexuality a sin (just so I don't have to reread 378 posts)
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Ted

Post by Ted »

Jester:-6

Yep. Just presenting the work of some well respected organizations who base their comments on research.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

God is spirit. God is the power behind the universe and the ultimate reality. For far to long man has anthropomorphized God. However, God is not a being as we understand it. God does not have arms and legs or great long beard. God does not have a gender. I could also have used the terms Divine, It, etc. The "He" attributed to God is simply the result of the power assumed by the ancient men in ancient times. We have now gotten past that.

Shalom

Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Ted;1008690 wrote: Omni:-6

God is spirit. God is the power behind the universe and the ultimate reality. For far to long man has anthropomorphized God. However, God is not a being as we understand it. God does not have arms and legs or great long beard. God does not have a gender. I could also have used the terms Divine, It, etc. The "He" attributed to God is simply the result of the power assumed by the ancient men in ancient times. We have now gotten past that.

Shalom

Ted:-6I see. I don't see it as "power assumed by the ancient men in ancient times" The bible says Jesus calls him Father.... not really mother...
Smoke signals ftw!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Of course Jesus referred to God as Father. Considering the position of women in that society he could do nothing else.

Shalom

Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Ted;1008694 wrote: Omni:-6

Of course Jesus referred to God as Father. Considering the position of women in that society he could do nothing else.

Shalom

Ted:-6Umm i don't think God was to concerned with that... i mean think about the scene where the two women who were the first to know Jesus had rose from the dead.
Smoke signals ftw!
Ted

Post by Ted »

AP:-6

Gen. 19:4-5: Lev. 18:22; Lev. 20:13.

Hope that helps.

Shalom

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Very interesting, Ted. And very old Old Testament. I'm heading back on the road tomorrow and I think I might start re-reading the old Jewish law books.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Ted

Post by Ted »

On the contrary I think God does care. Many of the world's faiths were developed in a patriarchal society. God treats both men and women as equals. That is not what you find in a patriarchal society.

Shalom

Ted

Post by Ted »

The idea that God assigned different roles to men and women is nonsense. That is the way the evolutionary process happened.

As for the Bible it was written by men. Of course it presents a patriarchal society and that is wrong.

Shalom

LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

So.

Is it safe to assume that the opinions of those who feel that it is a sin because it is so stated in the Bible also believe that God creates each one of us?
Sandi

Ted

Post by Ted »

LilacDragon:-6

Now that is an interesting question. Personally I'm and evolutionist but a response from others could be interesting.

Shalom

southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

AussiePam;1007693 wrote: Can someone remind me which bit of the Bible makes it clear God considers homosexuality a sin (just so I don't have to reread 378 posts) Pam you are right. God loves us all. like i have heard many times before God doesn't make TRASH. That is why we all are so different. no 2 snowflakes are the same. So people should not be forced to BE THE SAME.
TheNewDG

Post by TheNewDG »

Hoss;969684 wrote: Aussie Pam,

I thought about this a lot last night. I knew once I said the simple yes others would challenge it. God is the decider because he is the creator. I know what the bible says and that’s that homosexuality is an abomination. (Lev 18:22, 20:13) .

I thought George W. Bush was the "decider"?!?!?!:-3
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Jester;1017607 wrote: Of course Ted thats why men have a penis and women have a vagina, right. No assigned roles there huh? That just defys all human reasoning eh?:-3

That is one hell of a statement. So far as I can tell, the biggest difference between men and women (besides the fact that men think they run the planet) is the way one takes a ****.

The fact that someone thinks they are better then someone else (or whatever it is you are trying to say) because of their genitals just defies all human reasoning.

BTW - you never did answer my question.
Sandi

southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

LilacDragon;1017647 wrote: That is one hell of a statement. So far as I can tell, the biggest difference between men and women (besides the fact that men think they run the planet) is the way one takes a ****.

The fact that someone thinks they are better then someone else (or whatever it is you are trying to say) because of their genitals just defies all human reasoning.

BTW - you never did answer my question. AGREE!! AGREE!!:yh_angry
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Jester;1017775 wrote: Me? I'm sorry Lilac what was your question? I must have missed it.

Roles: Men become fathers, women become mothers, in the raising of chidlren they have differnt rols they are gender roles, they are created in humans, they are a bias specifically put there by God to care for certain anspect of humanity. Father teach specific things to sons and daughter and mothers teach specific thing to sons and daughters.

You better go back and re-read what I said. Read it carefully before you accuse me of anything.

While you certainly are correct that sperm and an egg are needed to MAKE a child, in the year 2008, the "gender" roles so far as raising said child are most certainly antiquated, to say the least. As more and more single parents are raising children -I think you will find that men are just as capable of teaching both sons and daughters the specific things you seem to think the mother teaches and vice versa. I am just as capable of teaching my son how to throw a football as my husband and my husband is just as capable of teaching him how to do laundry.

LilacDragon;1013352 wrote: So.

Is it safe to assume that the opinions of those who feel that it is a sin because it is so stated in the Bible also believe that God creates each one of us?

And here is the question I asked earlier.
Sandi

Return to “Christianity”