which god and how ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Carl44

which god and how ?

Post by Carl44 »

bubble gum thanks that was great

genius

in pink

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

which god and how ?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Adam Zapple wrote: Let me remind you that more people have been slaughtered under atheist, totalitarian regimes whose official position was that there is no god, than from so-called religious wars - Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot. Also most "religious" wars are really fought for land acquisition and political power; religion just an attempt to find moral justificaiton for the greed of kings, sultans, etc.

I really do think that you'll have to substanciate that one. I agree that most wars are not fought for religious reasons but Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot between them did not kill over half the people who have died in war throughout recorded history.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

which god and how ?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Galbally wrote: Hi. not sticking up for a mystical view of things, but strictly speaking the Universe is finite, and its leading edge is about 14 billion light years away from our point in it, both in space and in time. There are about 400,000,000,000 galaxies of which our milky way is one, and each contains roughly 400,000,000,000 stars (give or take a bit). That means there is a lot of universe (its unimaginably massive and contains well a lot of stars and planets), and the probability of their being life on other worlds was recently stated to be about 1 (i.e. there is). However, that doesn't exclude their being a god or a purpose to such a place, to my mind it suggests the opposite.

That was why the "nearly" - I recognise that the universe is not truely infinite but it does come as close as anything we know (short of the depth of a mandlebrot or the number of digits in Pi).

and I would never suggest that my argument proved that God does not exist - just that the "proof" that he does is flawed.

Return to “General Chit Chat”