Can you speak English please ?

Discuss the latest political news.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snowfire;1415139 wrote: I think I've covered all aspects of my opinion in previous posts. We don't know for sure what happened. I'm just not convinced that because he is well groomed and wears a tie, he must by decree, not be racist. They come in all shapes, sizes and smells Even I have had It.... where I've been struggling to understand someone and then they take offence because I can't understand them... I had that all the time when I was on Housing In the Council... some do actually believe that you should be fluent In Urdi or Polish and get quite offended when you're not.... but Is It any reason for the police to be called?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1415137 wrote: In my neighborhood there are very few native born Americans. Almost everyone has an accent & too many can't speak or understand. My own doctor who has been here for decades has an accent so thick she has an aide for translating. Doesn't call him or her that of course. The thing I realized is I grew up in this neighborhood & at least all the grandparents had accents, many parents too. It didn't annoy me back then as my understanding of the accent must have been better. There are schools & courses for this & I wish the immigrants would take more advantage. It's hard to learn a language or lose an accent as an adult & the older you are the harder it is. For a government job I think that should be part of the training. It would foster understanding, literally.

You're talking about Arnold Schwarzennagger aren't you?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

We already have all the ex-communists from various continents, we may as well take Ahnold, the son of a nazi. Besides, he's so cute & I understand his accent!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Although.............I did see a recent pic of Ahnold in speedos, & it was a sorry sight. I'll tell him to leave his shirt on.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1415037 wrote: A man In his 60's Is at a British airport...

After a discussion with an African Traffic Warden who Is mumbling at him In a mixture of strange language and English the man asks ' Where are you from, Nigeria?”

The African man gets Irate and aggressively begins to shout and rant at the man again In unrecognisable language. The English man politely asks ' Can you speak English please ''?

The police are then called as the African Is getting aggressive....

The English man Is arrested .

He was charged and Is being prosecuted, under the (corrupt) Race Relations Act. He is due to appear in the Birkenhead Magistrates Court on the 21st of January, at 2pm.

Expect a massive turn out.

Hmm, think maybe there should have been a quote here, but it seems Ahso found it for you.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1415146 wrote: Hmm, think maybe there should have been a quote here, but it seems Ahso found it for you.

I have written this OP myself after reading the details.

These are my words... not from any site nor any article... my words as I see the situation... relaying the story

Are you saying different? Or are we now going to have another ridiculous situation of threads going way off topic?

In fact.... put my words Into google and see what comes up as I just have..... nothing.... first result on page one Is this thread..... nothing else.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

When I was in London, I could barely make sense of what half the people there were saying.

Maybe the Warden was actually a born and bred Brit, or perhaps from the Bahamas, or Barbados, and took as great an exception to the suggestion that he was an African migrant.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1415147 wrote: I have written this OP myself after reading the details.

These are my words... not from any site nor any article... my words as I see the situation... relaying the story

Are you saying different? Or are we now going to have another ridiculous situation of threads going way off topic?

In fact.... put my words Into google and see what comes up as I just have..... nothing.... first result on page one Is this thread..... nothing else.

Just the one sentence is word for word. Bit like the problem the other day, the wording is so close it's obvious where its from.

He was charged and Is being prosecuted, under the (corrupt) Race Relations Act. He is due to appear in the Birkenhead Magistrates Court on the 21st of January, at 2pm.

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/national/%E2 ... e%E2%80%9D
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

oscar;1415147 wrote: I have written this OP myself after reading the details.

I think she means you plagiarized "Can you speak English please?" :wah:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac;1415149 wrote: When I was in London, I could barely make sense of what half the people there were saying.

Maybe the Warden was actually a born and bred Brit, or perhaps from the Bahamas, or Barbados, and took as great an exception to the suggestion that he was an African migrant.

That's what I wondered too, probably fed up of people assuming he wasn't born in the UK if that is the case. Have to wait and see, but people don't get sent to court without definite evidence against them nowadays.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1415150 wrote: Just the one sentence is word for word. Bit like the problem the other day, the wording is so close it's obvious where its from.

“Can you speak English, please?” | National News | British National Party Those are not someone's copyright words... they are the facts...so are you saying that If the Sun newspaper reports that so and so Is appearing In court on so and so date and two days later The Mail says the same, The Sun can sue the Mail ?

Reporting dates and facts Is not copyright.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop;1415153 wrote: That's what I wondered too, probably fed up of people assuming he wasn't born in the UK if that is the case. Have to wait and see, but people don't get sent to court without definite evidence against them nowadays.

I dunno. I've seen people go to court with some pretty dodgy evidence.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

LarsMac;1415161 wrote: I dunno. I've seen people go to court with some pretty dodgy evidence. In my trial...... In cross examination of the youth's chief witness, the defence lawyer said:

So ******* what you're saying Is that you lied to the police and gave a false police statement ?

reply.... errrr yeah

No further questions

Yep, things are not always as they seem.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1415169 wrote: In my trial...... In cross examination of the youth's chief witness, the defence lawyer said:

So ******* what you're saying Is that you lied to the police and gave a false police statement ?

reply.... errrr yeah

No further questions

Thats what Ive been saying. We wont know till we know

Yep, things are not always as they seem.

Thats what Ive been saying

We wont know till we know
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1415177 wrote: Thats what Ive been saying

We wont know till we know Exactly why we went to trial and that wasn't just the one Isolated cause.... I hope this chap goes to trial so ALL the Info comes out In court as It did eventually with me. Very often, as with my case, the police get hoodwinked just as much as the newspapers. Unless you're In court, no-one knows the full truth behind any arrest or trial.
gmc

Post by gmc »

When I worked on london there was a lot of animosity between Caribbean immigrants and Nigerians in london. Basically the Nigerians came across as arrogant and seemed to look down on those of those people who had been enslaved in the past. It was cultural rather than racial I had a real problem with a Nigerian manageress that managed to antagonise all her female staff to the extend they refused to wok with her. It was the same with ghanians who looked down on some of their lighter skinned countrymen. on the grounds they had been polluted by the whites (their mother didn't run fast enough - get the drift) . I knew a couple that used to wind each other up about it constantly with them it was a harmless joke laughing at the past.

Asking someone if they are Nigerian is no more offensive than asking if they are from jamaica or glasgow if you are having difficulty understanding them all you are doing is asking as it does help suss out the accent but it depends how you choose to interpret it. I wouldn't take offence at some comedian from the south of england asking me to speak english I just ask them to repeat the question several times till I understood what they were saying.
Oscar Namechange

If you take the immigration figures at 250,000 a year and the fact that many of these are put Into high stress jobs such as airport luggage handlers etc, It Is ridiculous to say that at no time Is there ever going to be a heated barney between two cultures. In fact It's absolutely unreasonable to say there Is never going to be an exchange between two cultures. When It becomes a farce, Is when the race laws are used to prosecute an Englishman but police turn a blind eye when a Turk Is having a dust up with a Polish traffic warden. It's the abuse of the race laws that leaves many In this country with a sense of Injustice and unfairness.

How can anyone seriously expect a country with 270 nationalities and 300 languages being spoken to never have a situation where words are exchanged especially with traffic wardens and airport staff? The country has allowed this mass Immigration and then basically changed laws so that unless we are not all unber uber polite and subservient to any other nationality, we can be hauled before the courts.

When I was on housing, I was accused of being racist to a Somalian woman. I wasn't... I just told her that I didn't agree with her proposals and that she was wasting council money. To cut a long story short, I was pleaded with to apologise to her so everyone could 'move on'... I refused stating that all I had done was disagree with her not been racist In any way..... they said ' Yes, we know that but all the same, we don't want her causing further trouble'.... so rather than stand up to the woman, they wanted me to grovel so she didn't cause any more delay's to the agenda.

When you have situations like that, the race card Is learnt very very quickly and abused.
halfway

Post by halfway »

Culture....only to be appreciated in countries other than America.
My Journal of a New Endeavor

Return to “Current Political Events”