What's your weather like today?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Maybe it's only snowing over me, my brother lives a ten minute drive away from me, and he says no snow, yet it's been steadily coming down here for the last hour :wah:
minks

Post by minks »

about -14C and has been snowing all night and day another day in paradise :)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
BTS

Post by BTS »

yes by golly..........

this global warming just frost me A$$ every morning when I get up to 15-20 degs every mar-nin!!!
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop;1279439 wrote: Maybe it's only snowing over me, my brother lives a ten minute drive away from me, and he says no snow, yet it's been steadily coming down here for the last hour :wah:

I take that back, it's a white world there now, and still it falls from the skies here. We'll be needing some tips minks, we just don't know how to cope with this white stuff!
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Betty Boop;1279439 wrote: Maybe it's only snowing over me, my brother lives a ten minute drive away from me, and he says no snow, yet it's been steadily coming down here for the last hour :wah:
I was thinking of you today as It snowed. You seem to fare worse on the roads down there. It's really coming down fast here now. ( 10 mins past Midnight).
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1279455 wrote: I was thinking of you today as It snowed. You seem to fare worse on the roads down there. It's really coming down fast here now. ( 10 mins past Midnight).

It doesn't help that I live on the steepest hill around here for miles :wah:

Ok for floods, but not for snow. I may take the tea tray tomorrow and slide my way down the hill for milk. :D

The main hill, two roads away from me, is generally kept clear but it's totally under snow now, I should imagine the gritters are hard at work keeping the main A30 open.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Zero tonight with really cold windchills. We are under a winter storm advisory from wed night til thurs night...could get another 7-9 inches of snow. ugh! :-5:-5
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Betty Boop;1279456 wrote: It doesn't help that I live on the steepest hill around here for miles :wah:

Ok for floods, but not for snow. I may take the tea tray tomorrow and slide my way down the hill for milk. :D

The main hill, two roads away from me, is generally kept clear but it's totally under snow now, I should imagine the gritters are hard at work keeping the main A30 open. Well, I'm just off to bed ( 01.55) and It's coming down very thick. Just been out to the foxes and If It wasn't so cold I could follow the path of foxy foot-prints to find out where they go before they come to me. It's almost like daytime out there and I didn't need to flash light to see the foxes. I have chucked down a load of cat litter In the lane as little kids use It as a rat run to the school but I very much doubt If the school will oen tomorrow.

I am also tempted to take the tea tray and go for a slide in the morning. :wah: All my plans for tomorrow are cancelled although the dentist cancellation is a little relief for me.

The A30 is an absolute nightmare In bad weather.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Barman

Post by Barman »

Snowed in, haven't seen snow this bad for at least 35 years.

Have to keep an eye on the old folk. Someone check on Jimbo will ya.:yh_rotfl
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Good god I just saw on the news your latest weather . Thousands upon thousands of homeless dead . A state of emergency inpoland and trains and trucks all over the place not being able to move. School and work closures .Heavens!!!!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Schools are shut here. Cars are getting up and down the main road again. It's stopped snowing and it's all melting, yaaay!
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

It's only a couple of inches deep here but the roads are icy and treacherous. Thankfully school is closed for the day! Yay! I dreaded getting my car up and down the steep hill that the school is on. (Luckily most parents are benefits claimants so it doesn't bother them if the kids stay home from school). ;)
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Fuzzy: We haven't had much on the overall European picture yet. BBC concentrating on roads and schools here at home.

Kingston is just getting a light dusting at present, and it's mostly melting as it falls. We seem to be only part of the country not yet badly affected, though the bulk of the snow isn't due to arrive for another half hour or so. I'm watching the young squirrels bouncing around the trees in the garden. Very cute. :)

But yes, there is always a toll. Ones I've heard of so far are the avalanche victims in the Highlands and a boy in a pond. There will be more. Spare a thought for gmc and buttercup and the other Scots and poor benighted Northerners - it's been pretty miserable up there for a while now. In the South here, there's novelty value but in the North it has long worn off. If it goes on much longer there will be problems in remote areas with food and medical emergencies.

In some areas people are saying nothing like this since 1947. I remember my parents talk about 1947. Place turned into Finland. Frozen lakes and all.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

I live by the coast and we rarely have snow - but today we have!

It's so pretty, we've got a couple of inches, enough for a brilliant snowball fight with the kids and for a snowman.

Schools are shut (grandson's first day at school today - typical), step-daughter's driving test cancelled but who cares - it's snowing!!!!!

I slipped over though, really hurt, I'm too old for that nowadays :yh_rotfl
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Odie

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1279530 wrote: Schools are shut here. Cars are getting up and down the main road again. It's stopped snowing and it's all melting, yaaay!

Is this the worst winter you have had Betty?

-The UK is getting much more snow and cold temps like we have here this year.
Life is just to short for drama.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Cold and overcast today but at least we are not getting snow today :)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

It's the worst I remember, never known it be so cold this early Odie. I recall as a child spending lots of days out playing in the snow, that would have been in the 70's. Other than thinking it was great fun I remember very little about it.

The snow is melting here, it's virtually gone in our nearest town but the temperature is dropping rapidly, and here at the top of the hill there is a lot of slush which will soon become ice I guess.

Glad I can stay in, I appear to have half the neighbourhood's children in too, warming up and watching a DVD in the attic :wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1279612 wrote: It's the worst I remember, never known it be so cold this early Odie. I recall as a child spending lots of days out playing in the snow, that would have been in the 70's. Other than thinking it was great fun I remember very little about it.

The snow is melting here, it's virtually gone in our nearest town but the temperature is dropping rapidly, and here at the top of the hill there is a lot of slush which will soon become ice I guess.

Glad I can stay in, I appear to have half the neighbourhood's children in too, warming up and watching a DVD in the attic :wah:

It seemed the worse to me also as I remembered it was not like that last year and Mikes grandfather lived in Scotland and it was never this bad...never.

So glad your temps have warmed up so the snow has melted.

do you have salt trucks there?

when it snows or icy, we have huge salt trucks that place salt down everywhere in the city.

do they sell salt there so you can put it on your driveway, sidewalk, porch etc?
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

We have gritters/salt trucks but the trouble we have here is that this type of weather is infrequent so we never have enough. Likewise with the salt, we run out quite quickly.

then you get the idiots that don't listen to the news and traffic reports saying stay at home unless you absolutely have to, they go out, get stuck and block up the roads.

In Devon where I live we have a huge number of roads, lots of them rural and they are just too many for the gritters to do, so lots of stuff grinds to a halt!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
minks

Post by minks »

-22C and loads of snow we had over 200 traffic accidents last nite during rush hour.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We are going to warm up to freezing today.

But then that won't happen again until Monday or so.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

We've had some light snow today but more heavy snow is expected tonight.

Temperatures of minus 5C predicted.

Just had a text to say school is closed again tomorrow! Thank goodness!
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Now we're under a winter storm warning....7"-13" starting tonight (yes, it's alreadys started) til Fri morning. We don't need anymore stinkin snow!!!! :-5:-5:-5
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1279622 wrote: It seemed the worse to me also as I remembered it was not like that last year and Mikes grandfather lived in Scotland and it was never this bad...never.

So glad your temps have warmed up so the snow has melted.

do you have salt trucks there?

when it snows or icy, we have huge salt trucks that place salt down everywhere in the city.

do they sell salt there so you can put it on your driveway, sidewalk, porch etc?

It hasn't all melted, the pavements and roads here are now full of ice. We have gritting lorries, they are keeping the main roads open but there are no such services for the more minor roads. Table salt is the only thing you can get your hands on at the moment. Given that the snow has been forecast over us again tomorrow and friday I may venture out on foot tomorrow to make sure I have plenty of gas and electric.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1279815 wrote: It hasn't all melted, the pavements and roads here are now full of ice. We have gritting lorries, they are keeping the main roads open but there are no such services for the more minor roads. Table salt is the only thing you can get your hands on at the moment. Given that the snow has been forecast over us again tomorrow and friday I may venture out on foot tomorrow to make sure I have plenty of gas and electric.

That's inexcusable, as you should be able to buy salt for ice and snow, especially after it also snowed so much last winter as well.

They need to start buying it.

I to make sure my gas tank is full in winter...just in case.

I also keep 2 blankets in the trunk and bottled water.
spot

Post by spot »

Imladris;1279641 wrote: We have gritters/salt trucks but the trouble we have here is that this type of weather is infrequent so we never have enough. Likewise with the salt, we run out quite quickly.The foot in mouth moment was a month ago at BBC News - Half of UK councils lack salt for roads, AA warns - "the Local Government Association said the suggestion councils were not ready was 'ridiculous scaremongering'". If any Local Government Association spokesman now says oh the weather was unpredictably bad I'll personally pelt eggs at him. They were warned grit stock holding was being scaled down and they said fine, we're more efficient now. It was idiocy a month ago and it's equally idiotic today.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I rather appreciated the doctor who actually ski'd to work at the hospital in manchester. It's good to see folks who just shrug their shoulders and just get on with it, versus the incredible media who make less than 24 inches of snow into a scandal. C'mon! Where I am from we measure the white stuff in FEET!:yh_rotfl

(Wonder if that doctor will loan me her skis?):-3
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

It's currently snowing here again, the schools are shut again today. If I look towards the nearest town there is little evidence of snow, no snow on the rooftops and the grass is green down there! Yet up here not a thing has moved out of this street and even people on foot are avoiding it. A landrover has come a cropper and has blocked an untreated road just down the road from me.
Raven

Post by Raven »

The ice is incredibly treacherous. I couldnt make it down the hill and get to school today. Kent was buried in less than an hour last evening. I was stuck at uni for over an hour in traffic that was not moving. I eventually bid my friend adieu and good luck and walked from Dockside to the train station. Traffic had come to a complete standstill. Trains were running at limited and delayed service, but made it to Gravesend. Hubby picked me up from there. No traffic at all from Gravesend all the way home into Essex. Roads were clear, and Dartford tunnel was empty. But the ice today is lethal!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

The little tree just outside my kitchen is covered in drops of ice and water as well as snow. The sun is hitting it and it looks as though covered in diamonds.

We've avoided most of the snow here under Kingston Hill. Just an inch after the melt and refreeze. More snow due today and tomorrow.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Raven;1279893 wrote: I rather appreciated the doctor who actually ski'd to work at the hospital in manchester. It's good to see folks who just shrug their shoulders and just get on with it, versus the incredible media who make less than 24 inches of snow into a scandal. C'mon! Where I am from we measure the white stuff in FEET!:yh_rotfl

(Wonder if that doctor will loan me her skis?):-3

That story was played here in the states on our weather channel...what a dedicated doctor to ski to work. :-6
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

Imladris;1279641 wrote: We have gritters/salt trucks but the trouble we have here is that this type of weather is infrequent so we never have enough. Likewise with the salt, we run out quite quickly.

then you get the idiots that don't listen to the news and traffic reports saying stay at home unless you absolutely have to, they go out, get stuck and block up the roads.

In Devon where I live we have a huge number of roads, lots of them rural and they are just too many for the gritters to do, so lots of stuff grinds to a halt!

I've never heard of a gritter until recently...we have snow plows/salt trucks...is it the same thing?
Barman

Post by Barman »

Like this, car is going nowhere.:(

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Barman;1280065 wrote: Like this, car is going nowhere.:(

Mine looks slightly worse than that, the cars had shed their previous dumping from the other day but they are now coated yet again :( A couple down the road tried to get their car out earlier today, they didn't even manage pulling out of their parking space the ice was so bad. Only one 4 x 4 has attempted to navigate these steep hills today.
Raven

Post by Raven »

shelbell;1280062 wrote: I've never heard of a gritter until recently...we have snow plows/salt trucks...is it the same thing?
Yep, same thing. Like rubbish bins/trash cans.:wah:
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Pretty much like this all over NE Scotland, its great, we love it :D

Attached files
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Picture of the UK today BBC News - Frozen Britain seen from above
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

buttercup;1280072 wrote: Pretty much like this all over NE Scotland, its great, we love it :D

What a super pic of your gorgeous dogs, buttercup ! :-6
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

We had to go out today. We live on a hill. It was OK till we tried to get back just after dusk.................................. nearly didn't make it when we reached the top of the rise, when we had to make a turn and somebody was driving out of the junction, and we had to stop! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr A very kind fella came to our rescue and helped by pushing us while hubs gently touched the throttle, till we got on the level! Bless him ! We were a bit worried because there were parked cars either side of the uphill road !!! No room for mistakes !!!!

What is so annoying is that that road is a bus route, and there has been no gritter along it since the snow began, and even though people have asked the council, there is no grit bin at that point, so folks can DIY when it's slippery weather ! :-5:-5:-5 There's no sense any more is there? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
abbey

Post by abbey »

It was -13 here last night!

Mums igloo..........

Attached files
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that's so pretty in the snow!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

abbey;1280101 wrote: It was -13 here last night!

Mums igloo..........

Ahhhh that's lovely ! Is that where you live, Abbey? Can't see any red and white banners though :wah: ;)
abbey

Post by abbey »

That's mums bungalow, I took pics to show her how bad the snow was.

She was wrapped up snug as a bug and I was freezing My baps off in the snow! :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well we all have a little madness inside us ! :yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought a pair of Moon Boots at a car boot sale - they cost me £1.50 if I remember rightly ! I have never worn them, simply because our winters (well where I live any way) were never bad enough to need to wear this kind of footwear. When I bought them, they looked as if they had never been worn either ! They are very chunky and have a 'take out' inner which can be washed, the soles looked very grippy (not quite as exagerated as a hiking boot though). I would have preferred a more neutral colour, but these were bright red !

I christened them today, when I had to go out, and by gum were they effective ! My feet were as warm as toast but not too hot, and those soles were oh so grippy !

I felt really safe walking on ridged, icey, hard packed snow, they were brilliant !

I decided that it was £1.50 very well spent !

:-6 :D ;)
Raven

Post by Raven »

Way to go Gill!

Today we are getting more snow. On top of the ice we already have, sigh..still got a snow day off uni. It's bloody cold! :(
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Good deal you got Gill and I'm glad they worked for you! Right now it's cloudy, light snow falling and the temp is 21 degrees.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well my hubby took to the bus to go to our local super market today, he had with him a very capacious rucsac. He purchased extra groceries, got our gas card boosted and our electric, posted letters, (he would have bought a few UHT milk cartons, but Tesco had been raided !). He returned home, having had to walk up a fairly steep road for several hundred yards with about 40 lbs of goodies in his now full rucsac, across well trodden and icey snow. As he arrived with a big grin, he was presented with a steaming mug of coffee..........................................Well it was a bargain - one mug of coffee for fetching a rucsac full of groceries. Bless him :-4

Oh, and he remembered to get our Euro Lottery ticket and our National Lotteries !

We are now set up for whatever the weather throws at us..............weather warning of substantial falls of snow this weekend, on top of what is already on the ground. Sunday is supposed to be the worst day. We are bound to get yet another winter payment, as the temp average for the last week has been well below freezing. Gawd am I so glad that we had our central heating sorted a few months ago ! There will be no need for any of us to venture out for two or three days at least, except for hubby having to take our dog out each day for his walk, and he quite enjoys that (so does the dog!) :D

I've just looked out of the window, and it has been snowing fairly hard for the last hour and a half. It has well covered the road yet again, and vehicles are having quite a struggle to get up the hill. I'm so glad we've parked our car well off the road!!!!

The following is a very similar steepness to the road we overlook, but so far nothing as dramatic as this has happened on it....................... yet ! :rolleyes:

YouTube - Ice driving pinball
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Geeze Gill...This is ridiculous.....You're getting more snow that we usually get in NJ. I remember a long time ago when they didn't really know what snow was in Ireland, now they're getting more than us.

You have a good hubby there. Stay warm and toasty Gill:-4
ButterflyPrincess

Post by ButterflyPrincess »

Cold with ALOT of snow on the ground. :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”