Will President Trump run for a second term?

Discuss the latest political news.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Has anyone noticed that Michael Flynn is called "Mr" in all the current brouhaha?

Looks like a Mr to me.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1515377 wrote: Are the voices for impeechment. Just voices? Or are there fundamental reasons to impeech.?
I know of nothing, so far, that will stand the legal test for impeachment.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1515378 wrote:

Looks like a Mr to me.

Thank you tude.

Flynn was a General.

Consequently one refers to Flynn as "General Flynn", not "Mr Flynn".

Have you got the point now?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1515384 wrote: Thank you tude.

Flynn was a General.

Consequently one refers to Flynn as "General Flynn", not "Mr Flynn".

Have you got the point now?

I was once addressed to as Sargent. The day I took off the uniform I became Mr.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1515386 wrote: I was once addressed to as Sargent. The day I took off the uniform I became Mr.

I don't doubt that in the least.Other officers of the rank of lieutenant-commander and above customarily use (and are addressed by) their rank after being placed on the retired list.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn;1499631 wrote: Is it possible that Trump is becoming senile? He is 70 & I'm definitely not being ageist in asking the question.

Anne asked this three months before the election. That's a year and a half ago, he's clearly gone downhill since. Is it a matter for concern?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1516919 wrote: Anne asked this three months before the election. That's a year and a half ago, he's clearly gone downhill since. Is it a matter for concern?Anne is observant.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1515387 wrote: I don't doubt that in the least.Other officers of the rank of lieutenant-commander and above customarily use (and are addressed by) their rank after being placed on the retired list.

or not
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1516929 wrote: or not

It's called a convention. It's what happens in the real world. There is no not, there is in this instance only reality.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Ahso!;1516920 wrote: Anne is observant.

Oh come now nobody saw it? He looks as confused as Reagan used to be.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Ahso!;1516920 wrote: Anne is observant.

Yes, she is. I don't recall any past presidents ever saying about themselves that they are "like, really smart" and a "very stable genius". I'm sure that this set off a few alarm bells with mental health professionals.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1516932 wrote: It's called a convention. It's what happens in the real world. There is no not, there is in this instance only reality.

DoD Knowledge Base: FAQs

Use of Military Rank by Retired Service Members

Published: 08/03/2007 | Updated: 07/29/2014

What are the rules for using military rank if a person has retired from the military?

The following pertains to retired military members, officer and enlisted.

All retired personnel are permitted to use their military titles socially and in connection with commercial enterprises. Such military titles must never be used in any manner, which may bring discredit to the Uniformed Services.

I believe insistence on using a military title in this instance serves the purpose to discredit the military.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1516946 wrote: I believe insistence on using a military title in this instance serves the purpose to discredit the military.

I think what your White House is trying to avoid is a general perception that former Pentagon leaders now have a significant presence at the top of the civilian administration.

Your convention seems very recent, very American and very deceptive.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1516919 wrote: Is it a matter for concern?

No, he doesn't drive himself. It'd only be a worry if he had access to nuclear weapons and a tendency to threaten other nuclear countries with unstable leaders...
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

To remove a president from office, the House of Representatives must vote to send the case to the Senate – where the US constitution requires “the concurrence of two-thirds of the members present” for a conviction. The alternative route is the 25th amendment, which allows vice-president Michael Pence and the other 15 cabinet members to declare Trump “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office”.

So he can be gotten rid of?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1516948 wrote: I think what your White House is trying to avoid is a general perception that former Pentagon leaders now have a significant presence at the top of the civilian administration.

Your convention seems very recent, very American and very deceptive.

Convention smavention.

I did a search gen flynn or mr flynn.

The results were not what I was looking for but it seems common to address him as Mr.

I don't believe anybody is shocked that Trump who went to military school and has praised his instructors loves generals so much.

Why Donald Trump Likes To Surround Himself With Generals

Not to disparage generals, perhaps if he had not been so busy being a draft dodger and actually served he might have a more realistic view of just how the military isn't all that he believes it is.

Far as I am concerned, unless directly related to the military me thinks it is rather pompous to retain such a title. That's just me.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I think the concept is a commonwealth one. Our governor general was actually a general and he kept his title.

It has nothing to do with his position now . His 'exellency' trumps it though.

His Excellency, General the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC (Retd), sworn in as Governor-General on 28 March, 2014. Image courtesy of the Governor-General's Office. The Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia represents the monarch of Australia—currently Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia.Apr 1, 2014
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1517020 wrote: So he can be gotten rid of?

You've still not explained why you think any replacement for the remainder of this administration would be an improvement. Who do you think would replace the current President?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Wandrin;1516936 wrote: Yes, she is. I don't recall any past presidents ever saying about themselves that they are "like, really smart" and a "very stable genius". I'm sure that this set off a few alarm bells with mental health professionals.

spot

Post by spot »

Our Prime Minister claims to run a strong and stable government in Britain. Strong and stable are consequently terms of derision on this side of the Atlantic.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1517040 wrote:

Perfect
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Why did he have a cranial reduction?
spot

Post by spot »

Vanity. That's what the procedure is for.

You've still not explained why you think any replacement for the remainder of this administration would be an improvement. Who do you think would replace the current President?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

magentaflame;1517053 wrote: Why did he have a cranial reduction?

I've never heard of this procedure before. It seems he had a bald spot & by reducing the size of his scalp the remaining hair was forced together. He did not mind the resulting brain squashing as he has no need for that organ.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I believe this observation into Trump's confusion.

Trump’s ‘ping-pong’ on surveillance law sets off a 101-minute scramble

At 6:46 Thursday morning, Andrew Napolitano — a Fox News Channel personality and supporter of President Trump — opined about a critical government surveillance program on “Fox & Friends,” the show that is part alarm clock, part unofficial briefing for the commander in chief.

“I’m scratching my head,” Napolitano said, referring to Thursday’s House vote to reauthorize a key part of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. “I don’t understand why Donald Trump is in favor of this.”

And then, just 47 minutes later, Trump was no longer in favor of the bill that his own White House had been championing. In a tweet, the president quoted verbatim the Fox headline from Napolitano’s appearance and suggested that the FISA law had been used by the Obama administration to “so badly surveil and abuse the Trump Campaign.”
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I thought it was very thoughtful of Mr T to give everyone a new term to describe his mouth.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1517234 wrote:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

gmc;1517236 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I agree! Great fun, tude!!!!!!!!!!!!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Gotta love his latest one...

Right now in a number of states the law allows a baby to be born from his or her mother’s womb in the ninth month. It is wrong. It has to change.

Donald Trump says babies should not be born ‘in the ninth month’ as he flubs anti-abortion rally speech | South China Morning Post
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Trump loved to brag about the stock market and how he was personally responsible for it surging upward (a trend that started long before anyone even guessed he would be elected). It will be interesting to see how he responds to the recent downturn in the market. We know from past experience that he will blame it on someone. My best guess, at the moment, is that he will blame it on Democrats not automatically applauding everything he said in his State of the Union address. I think he will say that the division this caused resulted in a loss of confidence in the markets since those bad bad Democrats didn't believe in making America great (again). Of course, he could just as easily blame it on anyone or anything else that diverged from his self-image.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

What is the recent downturn due to?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Ahso!;1517719 wrote: What is the recent downturn due to?

I don't have a clue.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I suppose some of it has to do with the fact that it's post-holiday season, tax time is just around the corner and the excitement of a new tax strategy novelty is wearing off. So, I think this is pretty much expected.

I'm a believer that economic upturns and downturns are mostly reflective of the general mood of the country. If people feel safe & secure financially and otherwise they tend to want to contribute to the economy and feel like they are part of the fabric of the society, so they shop. I do that myself. Though the house begins to look like a warehouse until I get around to giving much of what I purchased away to family members or whoever else. I then go about gearing up to repeat the process like the obedient consumer I've been programmed to be. I don't mind really.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I always find it to be interesting and amusing, when there is something significant happening in the stock market, to hear or read what the "experts" say is the cause. No two agree and the explanations are all over the map.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Make sure to stand and applaud him when he speaks or you will be committing treason. Make sure, when entering a room he is in, to bow or curtsy first. When leaving the room, walk backwards. The penalty for treason can be death, so you are hereby warned to be careful if you value your life.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1517719 wrote: What is the recent downturn due to?

Wandrin;1517720 wrote: I don't have a clue.

Ahso!;1517721 wrote: I suppose some of it has to do with the fact that it's post-holiday season, tax time is just around the corner and the excitement of a new tax strategy novelty is wearing off. So, I think this is pretty much expected.

I'm a believer that economic upturns and downturns are mostly reflective of the general mood of the country. If people feel safe & secure financially and otherwise they tend to want to contribute to the economy and feel like they are part of the fabric of the society, so they shop. I do that myself. Though the house begins to look like a warehouse until I get around to giving much of what I purchased away to family members or whoever else. I then go about gearing up to repeat the process like the obedient consumer I've been programmed to be. I don't mind really.

It's called a "Bubble"

And Bubble's traditionally have a fairly short life span.

Bubbles can be spotted when there is no real, solid explanation for the sudden rise in the indexes.

When you see one growing, that is the time to sell, not to buy.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

XCITING, HUH?

LIVE MARKET

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1517723 wrote: Make sure to stand and applaud him when he speaks or you will be committing treason. Make sure, when entering a room he is in, to bow or curtsy first. When leaving the room, walk backwards. The penalty for treason can be death, so you are hereby warned to be careful if you value your life.And whatever you do, don't allow a democrat hear you say anything that isn't anti-Trump or you'll be labeled a Russian apologist and traitor.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1517726 wrote: And whatever you do, don't allow a democrat hear you say anything that isn't anti-Trump or you'll be labeled a Russian apologist and traitor.

So, this clown and his Flying Monkeys are tearing down the Republic, and all you can do is criticize Democrats.

True they did help to create the monster, but I think it's time to stop beating them up.

Unless, of course, you have signed up for the Stromtrumpers.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Ahso!;1517721 wrote: I suppose some of it has to do with the fact that it's post-holiday season, tax time is just around the corner and the excitement of a new tax strategy novelty is wearing off. So, I think this is pretty much expected.

I'm a believer that economic upturns and downturns are mostly reflective of the general mood of the country. If people feel safe & secure financially and otherwise they tend to want to contribute to the economy and feel like they are part of the fabric of the society, so they shop. I do that myself. Though the house begins to look like a warehouse until I get around to giving much of what I purchased away to family members or whoever else. I then go about gearing up to repeat the process like the obedient consumer I've been programmed to be. I don't mind really.I see there's also some anxiety with Yellen's replacement as FED chair.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1517729 wrote: I see there's also some anxiety with Yellen's replacement as FED chair.

Well, yeah. Who hell will His Orangeness put in the Fed?

The guy from Wells Fargo that initiated the drive to create fake accounts?

Bernie Madoff?

Gordon Gekko?
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1517726 wrote: And whatever you do, don't allow a democrat hear you say anything that isn't anti-Trump or you'll be labeled a Russian apologist and traitor.

For a president to be so thin-skinned to label treasonous those who don't applaud him smacks of McCarthyism, & I'm sure you don't wish to go down that particular road. Treason is a heavy word to use, & he is equating love of himself with love for the country. Your comment re: Russia & traitor is mere hysterics, so I will ignore it. Besides, you're equivocating. Stick to the subject.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1517731 wrote: For a president to be so thin-skinned to label treasonous those who don't applaud him smacks of McCarthyism, & I'm sure you don't wish to go down that particular road. Treason is a heavy word to use, & he is equating love of himself with love for the country. Your comment re: Russia & traitor is mere hysterics, so I will ignore it. Besides, you're equivocating. Stick to the subject.Pot/kettle. The subject is Trump running for a second term.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1517730 wrote: Well, yeah. Who hell will His Orangeness put in the Fed?

The guy from Wells Fargo that initiated the drive to create fake accounts?

Bernie Madoff?

Gordon Gekko?Powell is seen as a relatively safe, Wall Street-friendly choice at a crucial time for the central bank. The Fed has begun the process of raising interest rates from post-recession lows and is unwinding its massive asset-buying program — a response to the financial crisis a decade ago.

“His common sense approach to monetary policy and financial regulation are exactly what the Federal Reserve needs right now and we look forward to his confirmation” a senior Fed official told reporters in a conference call following the appointment.

Trump's decision not to grant Yellen a second term as chair is a break with the recent tradition of presidents nominating sitting chairs to a second term, even when they have different political affiliations. Yellen is a Democrat and served in the administration of former US President Bill Clinton. Her term ends in February.

"He had a very favorable view of her but in the end he thought governor Powell would be the best choice," the senior official when pressed about the reasoning behind the unusual change of guard.

Jerome Powell is Trump pick for Yellen replacement on Fed - Business Insider

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Trump's decision not to grant Yellen a second term as chair is a break with the recent tradition of presidents nominating sitting chairs to a second term, even when they have different political affiliations. Yellen is a Democrat and served in the administration of former US President Bill Clinton. Her term ends in February.

That was a sort of interesting paragraph.

...a break with the recent tradition...

"Recent tradition" - Does that sound like a bit of an oxymoron to anyone else?

Powell may be a good choice. Certainly more positive than I was fearing.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Knowing Trump, that Powell is a white male is probably what broke his way. That Trump might have actually listened to his advisors on Powell's qualifications, well, let's just say I would have thought this position is a perfect fit for someone in the Kushner family. Perhaps the dad since he's now out of prison?

Trump is so unpredictable.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Upturns & Downturns of a country's economy is not only based on the success or failure of that country, but also of the conflicting successes & failures of other countries - especially those who they trade with directly. After all, if one person has £1, and another has nothing, then the first one has a much stronger economy than the other. But then, if the first person pays 50p to the 2nd one they are on an equal footing. The first one's economy has nose-dived, while the others has taken a massive surge. The amount of money there is hasn't changed.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Trump's $4 trillion budget would sharply raise federal deficit

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Sure glad he's saving us all that money.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Current Political Events”