Bush Supporters Angry Over Song Regarding Hurricane Katrina

konor

Post by konor »

African American Bashes President Bush And FEMA In Song Regarding Katrina Disaster.

Los Angeles, California - November 23, 2005 Lyricist/ Artist Pearl Burrell slams Bush and FEMA in song titled "Somebody Help Me" The song has become political angering Bush supporters. With such lyrics as " While you watched from the White House as I fell down to my knees. " Calling me not an American but refugee"

"A refugee is a person that flees a foriegn country. " I can't believe that my President misjudge me."

(I-Newswire)

Pearl Burrell out of Los Angeles California says she wrote the song "Somebody Help Me" to remind people of what the victims of katrina endured. The song has swiftly moved through the internet causing angry Bush supporters to bash back defending the president on numerous political websites saying that the majority of the responsibility lies on the failure of the city officials. Pointing fingers at Nagin while non supporters continue to say that great points were made in the song that may affect Bush ratings. Burrell has received emails from victims of katrina as well as people from all over the world with well wishes and Thank You's.

Hurricane Katrina one of the most horrific disasters that hit the United States which affected a tremendous amount of lives as well as lives being lost. Burrell's song tells a story inwhich images of Americans on roof tops, begging for help. Dead bodies in the water and animals even trying to survive. These images can be visualized of what many people all over the world witness on nationwide television. President Bush and FEMA have been the center of controversy regarding Katrina and the song certainly exposes that. Self expression is what the song "Somebody Help Me" is all about.

The song "Somebody Help Me is on Isound http://www.isound.com The direct link to the sound is http://www.isound.com/pearl_burrell It is free to listen to with lyrics posted

Song Re Hurricane Katrina
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

I can see why.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

konor wrote: African American Bashes President Bush And FEMA In Song Regarding Katrina Disaster.

:confused: Why is it necessary to point out that the “basher” is black?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Again, what is the tune like? Is it a "Stairway to Heaven" type rock epic or is it more a Christina Agulira pop shaker, I'm only looking at this like Simon Cowell would, we need a melody guys or it wont sell in asia.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Ok I've listened to it, the sentiment is a good one, but the song sucks. Maybe with a bit of production and a different singer.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Galbally wrote: " ..... we need a melody guys or it wont sell in asia."

"One-way ticket to the moon" was always a popular "biggie" in Asia. Try that as a melody and it'll sky rocket ........ perhaps to the moon itself.:D

Ps: I thought Gallybally was in the north.
StupidCowboyTricks

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

High Threshold wrote: "One-way ticket to the moon" was always a popular "biggie" in Asia. Try that as a melody and it'll sky rocket ........ perhaps to the moon itself.:D

Maybe they can get this guy to sing it:

Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

Galbally

Post by Galbally »

High Threshold wrote: "One-way ticket to the moon" was always a popular "biggie" in Asia. Try that as a melody and it'll sky rocket ........ perhaps to the moon itself.:D

Galbally, my friend is in Co. Limerick in the south of Ireland! Westlife sell well in Asia, maybe they could write a damning endictment of the Bsh Administration, I shall attempt some lyrics.

Baby's Got Bush on her mind.

Slow Time, in the key of G.

Baby, now that I've found you.

I've got to explain about the Kyoto Accords.

But lets not forget each other baby

Though we really should protest against the Iraq war.

You rock my soul

But the conservatism of supreme courts causing you pain

My baby

I wanna rebuild all the flood barriers in case it rains.

Chorus

My only love, is Bush the kinda man that gets you down

I love you baby

So I'm going keep singing till air force one comes down

Love me Foreeeeeveerrrrrrrr, arghhhhh.

And so on and so forth, including a guitar solo by slash from G&R, its a sure fire hit.

Copright, Galbally 2005.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
StupidCowboyTricks

:guitarist

Hurricane evacuees now fear evictions

FEMA says action coming on gap between aid, rents

By Lara Jakes Jordan, Associated Press | November 23, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Only $114 a month stands between Shawn Williams, a Hurricane Katrina evacuee, and eviction from her temporary apartment in suburban Houston.

Williams can afford to pay out of her own pocket and is willing to do so to make up the difference between the $633 voucher she gets in federal housing aid and the apartment's $747 rent. But a bureaucratic snag prevents her from closing the gap on her own.

Now, after paying the entire rent herself for months because the landlord will not accept the voucher, Williams says she is running out of money and fears losing the two-bedroom apartment where she has lived with her disabled husband and teenage son since fleeing New Orleans more than two months ago.

The government's disaster relief agency says help is on the way for Williams and other evacuees caught in the frustrating tangle that prevents landlords from accepting more rent money than what Washington is willing to cover.

It is a problem in Houston and elsewhere where rents set by the market outpace the government's gauge for determining aid levels. For families, it is making it harder to find long-term housing. For cash-strapped cities, it is adding to their financial woes and depleting their resources for helping hurricane victims.

''These vouchers are pretty much worthless because they don't cover the full amount of the rent," Williams, 40, said in a telephone interview from the Tranquility Bay apartment complex in Pearland, Texas.

Federal officials said they could not say how many Katrina victims have been affected. Houston officials said as many as 6,000 additional rental units could be opened to families using federal vouchers if they were allowed to pay part of the rent.

Since Katrina hit on Aug. 29, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has provided $3.4 billion in housing assistance to evacuated victims. The money goes directly to victims or to state and local governments as reimbursement for their costs in housing hundreds of thousands of evacuees.

Housing officials say FEMA reimburses only as much as a federal measure of average rental costs, which differs by city.

In some cases, local officials are unwilling to accept extra payments from tenants for fear that FEMA will not pick up its share.

The agency now is allowing some flexibility for reimbursements, including increasing the level of local rental costs and letting evacuees contribute to rental payments, spokeswoman Nicol Andrews said.

Last month FEMA circulated an internal e-mail clarifying the policy; it is not clear whether the information went to local housing officials.

The agency is preparing a statement to assure Houston housing officials, and FEMA's acting director, R. David Paulison, has told the city that FEMA will ''pay a fair price, but would not be gouged," Andrews said November 23, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Only $114 a month stands between Shawn Williams, a Hurricane Katrina evacuee, and eviction from her temporary apartment in suburban Houston.

Williams can afford to pay out of her own pocket and is willing to do so to make up the difference between the $633 voucher she gets in federal housing aid and the apartment's $747 rent. But a bureaucratic snag prevents her from closing the gap on her own.

Now, after paying the entire rent herself for months because the landlord will not accept the voucher, Williams says she is running out of money and fears losing the two-bedroom apartment where she has lived with her disabled husband and teenage son since fleeing New Orleans more than two months ago.

The government's disaster relief agency says help is on the way for Williams and other evacuees caught in the frustrating tangle that prevents landlords from accepting more rent money than what Washington is willing to cover.

It is a problem in Houston and elsewhere where rents set by the market outpace the government's gauge for determining aid levels. For families, it is making it harder to find long-term housing. For cash-strapped cities, it is adding to their financial woes and depleting their resources for helping hurricane victims.

''These vouchers are pretty much worthless because they don't cover the full amount of the rent," Williams, 40, said in a telephone interview from the Tranquility Bay apartment complex in Pearland, Texas.

Federal officials said they could not say how many Katrina victims have been affected. Houston officials said as many as 6,000 additional rental units could be opened to families using federal vouchers if they were allowed to pay part of the rent.

Since Katrina hit on Aug. 29, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has provided $3.4 billion in housing assistance to evacuated victims. The money goes directly to victims or to state and local governments as reimbursement for their costs in housing hundreds of thousands of evacuees.

Housing officials say FEMA reimburses only as much as a federal measure of average rental costs, which differs by city.

In some cases, local officials are unwilling to accept extra payments from tenants for fear that FEMA will not pick up its share.

The agency now is allowing some flexibility for reimbursements, including increasing the level of local rental costs and letting evacuees contribute to rental payments, spokeswoman Nicol Andrews said.

Last month FEMA circulated an internal e-mail clarifying the policy; it is not clear whether the information went to local housing officials.

The agency is preparing a statement to assure Houston housing officials, and FEMA's acting director, R. David Paulison, has told the city that FEMA will ''pay a fair price, but would not be gouged," Andrews said.The city is awaiting official word. Until then, Houston will not pay the rent for people in apartments that cost more than FEMA will subsidize, said John Walsh, deputy chief of staff to Houston's mayor, Bill White.

Houston has issued vouchers for long-term housing to about 18,000 of the estimated 40,000 families who will need it by the year's end, but the city anticipates that another 14,000 evacuees soon will move out of hotels.

Houston has received $37.2 million from FEMA to repay initial housing costs for evacuees, and it expects an additional $101 million for expenses through Jan. 31.

Even so, Walsh said he fears that the city will not be reimbursed for payments above the voucher levels. ''Until we get a written confirmation, we're not going to expose ourselves," he said.

In Atlanta, FEMA provided $5.7 million in housing aid for hurricane evacuees, said Sandra Allen Walker, deputy chief of staff to Atlanta's mayor, Shirley Franklin. The city contributed an additional $400,000, Walker said, but that still does not cover the total expenses.

''What we are seeking is for the federal government to pick up the gap," Walker said. ''The amount that they offer is not commensurate with the market rate for living in Atlanta."

In Baton Rouge, La., dozens of people are on a waiting list for housing where they can pay part of the cost, said Robert McNeese, the city's director of community development.

''There are not any apartments that fall under fair market rents anymore, so the clients have to make up the difference," McNeese said.

Stung by allegations that it is pushing hurricane victims out before the holidays, FEMA yesterday extended its hotel housing program by a month in 10 states that have received victims of Katrina and Rita.

Evacuees in those states -- Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, California, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Nevada -- now have until Jan. 7 before FEMA stops paying their hotel bills. The deadline is shorter -- Dec. 15 -- for victims in all other states, said Paulison.

Last week FEMA set a Dec. 1 deadline to stop hotel payments in all states but Louisiana and Mississippi. But that plan drew sharp criticism from Congress, city and state officials, and housing advocates who feared that 15 days would not be enough time for evacuees to find stable housing.

''We want these families to be back in some semblance of normalcy," Paulison told reporters. ''We want them in decent housing. We want them out of these hotels and motels and into apartments." That movement will take place gradually, he said.

''Let me make this really clear: We are not kicking people out into the street," he said. ''We are simply moving them from hotels and motels and into apartments that we will continue to pay for."

© Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company.

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Don't blame FEMA or Bush that locals refuse to accept the vouchers or other money. It's been months. Many evacuees are working. Some have started their own businesses. I'm hiring and can't find enough workers - and we are transporting evacuees! It's not like they don't know work is available.

One of my employees is being evicted from her hotel. She spent a whopping 6 hours finding another place that would take her money. She moved and made it to work on time.

Don't pity those who won't help themselves. Those not affected by the levee break in N.O. should be home rebuilding or somewhere else making a new home. Those affected by the levee break should be in the middle of a class action lawsuit by now.

PS: SCT, the preponderance of your post is duplicate stuff. Made it difficult to read.
konor

Post by konor »

why are people so jealous of what others have accomplished?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

konor wrote: why are people so jealous of what others have accomplished?What do you mean?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: Maybe they can get this guy to sing it:

Too funny!!!!! :yh_rotfl
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Galbally wrote: Galbally, my friend is in Co. Limerick in the south of Ireland!

That may well be, my friend, so it's my mistake but I hitched up along the north coast once and was at Ballygally Castle which (as you know) is in Ulster. :driving::)
StupidCowboyTricks

Accountable wrote:

PS: SCT, the preponderance of your post is duplicate stuff. Made it difficult to read.

:-3 It was a newspaper article, It was about "the preponderance" of problems some of the victims were having with vouchers.

Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Accountable wrote: Don't blame FEMA or Bush that locals refuse to accept the vouchers or other money. It's been months. Many evacuees are working. Some have started their own businesses. I'm hiring and can't find enough workers - and we are transporting evacuees! It's not like they don't know work is available.

One of my employees is being evicted from her hotel. She spent a whopping 6 hours finding another place that would take her money. She moved and made it to work on time.

Don't pity those who won't help themselves. Those not affected by the levee break in N.O. should be home rebuilding or somewhere else making a new home. Those affected by the levee break should be in the middle of a class action lawsuit by now.

AMEN! Our local television station interviewed a woman from New Orleans and she was whining that she wanted to go back to NO, that it was her home....blah, blah, blah. I wanted to just smack her. There is nothing to go back to. Get it into your mind. It's not that I don't sympathise with the fact that she has lost everything, but facts are facts. She expects everyone else to pay her bills and completely rebuild a city just for her. They also showed the barrier islands before Katrina and after. Amazing the destruction. In my never to be humble opinion, they need to just bulldoze that entire city and plant about a million trees to protect the rest of the gulf coast. They need it for erosion protection (or something like that!).

I'm just curious as to how come you don't hear all this bitchin' and whinin' coming out of Mississippi and Alabama?

My heart really does go out to so many of these people, but at the same time, I"m sick and tired of people playing the blame game when so much of the crap that went on is no one's fault but their own. No, they couldn't stop the storm, but when a mandatory evacuation notice is given out, GET OUT! Don't tell me you don't have a way to get out when you have days/weeks notice. Start walking!
observer1

Post by observer1 »

Kathy wrote: AMEN! Our local television station interviewed a woman from New Orleans and she was whining that she wanted to go back to NO, that it was her home....blah, blah, blah. I wanted to just smack her. There is nothing to go back to. Get it into your mind. It's not that I don't sympathise with the fact that she has lost everything, but facts are facts. She expects everyone else to pay her bills and completely rebuild a city just for her. They also showed the barrier islands before Katrina and after. Amazing the destruction. In my never to be humble opinion, they need to just bulldoze that entire city and plant about a million trees to protect the rest of the gulf coast. They need it for erosion protection (or something like that!).

I'm just curious as to how come you don't hear all this bitchin' and whinin' coming out of Mississippi and Alabama?

My heart really does go out to so many of these people, but at the same time, I"m sick and tired of people playing the blame game when so much of the crap that went on is no one's fault but their own. No, they couldn't stop the storm, but when a mandatory evacuation notice is given out, GET OUT! Don't tell me you don't have a way to get out when you have days/weeks notice. Start walking!

I'm assuming you haven't had too many hurricanes in OK, huh, Kathy? You have days. At the time Katrina hit, the gas prices were astronomical. Could you walk miles & miles with 2 or 3 children? We're not talking to the next town up. We're talking hundreds of miles. Katrina hit a good portion of Mississippi, Alabama & Louisiana, not just the coast. My father went through Katrina. My family survived through Camille. We got blasted by Ivan here in PA last year. It's tough.

I do agree, God helps those who help themselves. It's time to stop complaining & start rebuilding. But many of these people know nowhere else. I can't imagine leaving everything I know & moving somewhere else, not knowing the economy. But I do have to agree, they just have to swallow it & move on.

Honestly, I've never seen people being on "sides" the way I have since Bushy is in office.
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

It's not that I am unsympathetic. On May 3rd 1999 my town was demolished by an F5 tornado. We had only a few minutes notice to get underground. Those that were without cellars/basements did the best they could. This tornado was the largest ever recorded.

I shouldn't have posted, "Walk". I understand that is not an option and I let my emotions get the best of me. I apologize. Still, with days of advance notice that a storm of Katrina's magnitude is approaching, don't tell me there is no way possible to get out. Nagin and the govenor of Louisiana screwed up. There were ways of getting the citizens of New Orleans out. I remember seeing a good number of school buses just sitting there.

Bashing President Bush is ridiculous. This is just one more excuse for those that don't like him. I agree that FEMA was ineffective in dealing with this tragedy...to say the least! I do, however, believe the magnitude of this event was larger in scale than anyone could have imagined or possibly planned for.

I'm just curious as to if there really have been "lessons learned". God Help Us!
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

High Threshold wrote: :confused: Why is it necessary to point out that the “basher” is black?
Why is it a problem?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Galbally

Post by Galbally »

High Threshold wrote: That may well be, my friend, so it's my mistake but I hitched up along the north coast once and was at Ballygally Castle which (as you know) is in Ulster. :driving::)

Irish placenames are a bit silly aren't they? Still bally this or bally that, its still rock and roll to me. :rolleyes:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
StupidCowboyTricks

Kathy wrote: AMEN! Our local television station interviewed a woman from New Orleans and she was whining that she wanted to go back to NO, that it was her home....blah, blah, blah. I wanted to just smack her. There is nothing to go back to. Get it into your mind. It's not that I don't sympathise with the fact that she has lost everything, but facts are facts. She expects everyone else to pay her bills and completely rebuild a city just for her. They also showed the barrier islands before Katrina and after. Amazing the destruction. In my never to be humble opinion, they need to just bulldoze that entire city and plant about a million trees to protect the rest of the gulf coast. They need it for erosion protection (or something like that!).

Did you read the article?

observer1

Post by observer1 »

Kathy wrote: It's not that I am unsympathetic. On May 3rd 1999 my town was demolished by an F5 tornado. We had only a few minutes notice to get underground. Those that were without cellars/basements did the best they could. This tornado was the largest ever recorded.

I shouldn't have posted, "Walk". I understand that is not an option and I let my emotions get the best of me. I apologize. Still, with days of advance notice that a storm of Katrina's magnitude is approaching, don't tell me there is no way possible to get out. Nagin and the govenor of Louisiana screwed up. There were ways of getting the citizens of New Orleans out. I remember seeing a good number of school buses just sitting there.

Bashing President Bush is ridiculous. This is just one more excuse for those that don't like him. I agree that FEMA was ineffective in dealing with this tragedy...to say the least! I do, however, believe the magnitude of this event was larger in scale than anyone could have imagined or possibly planned for.

I'm just curious as to if there really have been "lessons learned". God Help Us!

I think there's enough blame to go around. My reason for blaming King George is that the money should've been there for the repair of the levees, but was shifted for the "war".

Bushites are quick to place blame on the local government, as they say others are quick to place blame on King George.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Kathy wrote: [...]

[...]Because they have Mississippi and Alabama to return to.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

observer1 wrote: I think there's enough blame to go around. My reason for blaming King George is that the money should've been there for the repair of the levees, but was shifted for the "war".

Bushites are quick to place blame on the local government, as they say others are quick to place blame on King George.The levees were deteriorating for a long time, through administrations of both sides of the party.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Galbally wrote: ..... Still bally this or bally that, its still rock and roll to me. :rolleyes:
"Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis and the Blarney Stone have left the building.":-6
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

BabyRider wrote: Why is it a problem?
I thought Martin Luther King put an end to segregated thinking.

Do people still say things like that in U.S.? Like: “This black guy at work got a promotion” or “There was a black woman who slipped on the ice yesterday”.

You don’t think it is a sign of a lingering problem to say things like that?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

High Threshold wrote: "Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis and the Blarney Stone have left the building.":-6

Shucks, thank you very much mama. uhuhha:guitarist

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Galbally wrote: " ...... uhuhha.....
..... oh-ya'..... if I found a lucky penny, I'd toss it across the bay ..... ;)
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

SnoozeControl wrote: I don't think its any worse than saying "This old guy at work got a promotion" or "There was a fat chick who slipped on the ice yesterday.":rolleyes:
"Not any worse"? Is it any better? Are any of those really necessary?

I gather that you don't like fat, elderly, black, people who have difficulties maintaining their balance during the winter months. Shame on you. :yh_chickn

I suppose the only ones who are liked are tall, thin, blond, white women with 10 kilograms of silicon in each tit, and it explains Michael Jackson's obsession with becoming one. It doesn't surprise me that racism is as bad as it's ever been in the U.S.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

High Threshold wrote: ..... oh-ya'..... if I found a lucky penny, I'd toss it across the bay ..... ;)

No, didn't get that one, I'm a bit slow? Is that an Elvis or Irish reference, or is it something completely different. :-3 Anyway, I'm going to record my opus and send it out onto the interent so that all the "people" can fight against "the man" and "babylon" etc etc, while hopefully I can afford a new Aston Martin on the proceeds.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

High Threshold wrote: "Not any worse"? Is it any better? Are any of those really necessary?

I gather that you don't like fat, elderly, black, people who have difficulties maintaining their balance during the winter months. Shame on you. :yh_chickn

I suppose the only ones who are liked are tall, thin, blond, white women with 10 kilograms of silicon in each tit, and it explains Michael Jackson's obsession with becoming one. It doesn't surprise me that racism is as bad as it's ever been in the U.S.I understand the point you're trying to make, believe me. But to equate using an adjective to not liking the people that fit that adjective is a bit overboard.

And no, it wasn't helpful or necessary at all to refer to the author's heritage in this context.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Galbally wrote: "Is that an Elvis or Irish reference ...",

" I'm going to record my opus and ... hopefully I can afford a new Aston Martin on the proceeds."

Your "...... uhuhha....” was a perfect quote from the refrain of Elvis’ song ”Good Luck Charm”. I was certain you knew that and so I merely added the next line. Sorry, I thought we were in sync. :guitarist

Aston Martin, is it? Look, if you get your hands on a 1970’s V8 Vantage, series 2 model, would it be all right if I introduce you as me best mate - in which case I’ll fix you up with her sister.:yh_drool
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Accountable wrote: I understand the point you're trying to make, believe me. But to equate using an adjective to not liking the people that fit that adjective is a bit overboard.It was meant to solicit a smile.:)

Accountable wrote:

And no, it wasn't helpful or necessary at all to refer to the author's heritage in this context. There you are. :yh_clap
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

High Threshold wrote: It was meant to solicit a smile.:)

There you are. :yh_clap
Tombstone & Anastrophe, we need more smileys!! :cool:
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

High Threshold wrote: Your "...... uhuhha....” was a perfect quote from the refrain of Elvis’ song ”Good Luck Charm”. I was certain you knew that and so I merely added the next line. Sorry, I thought we were in sync. :guitarist

Aston Martin, is it? Look, if you get your hands on a 1970’s V8 Vantage, series 2 model, would it be all right if I introduce you as me best mate - in which case I’ll fix you up with her sister.:yh_drool

I thought he went uhhuhha after every sentence he made, but I could be wrong. If I get the AS you can of course pretend to be me mate, along with the rest of the population, and I'll give her sister a go, as long as she's not a minger. :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Galbally wrote: I thought he went uhhuhha after every sentence he made ....
No, that's not entirely correct. At the end of his non-melodious sentences he usually finished up with, "Uh hoo-a." :)

Galbally wrote:

If I get the AS you can of course pretend to be me mate ...... and I'll give her sister a go, as long as she's not a minger.
Done! :D

Return to “International Politics”