$4.00+ a gallon of Unleaded reg gas is not far off!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Post by cars »

Today, I paid $3.04 per gallon of unleaded regular gas. It went up "13" cents per gallon since last week! And it has been said more increases are expected.

Motorists could face gas prices of $4 per gallon & beyond of unleaded gas in the coming weeks, analyists said.

The forecast comes as political tension over Iran's nuclear ambitions has pushed oil prices to $71 per barrel. US crude oil has risen 20% since mid-February. Yesterday prices touched $70, which is just below the record of $70.78 reached eight months ago after Hurricane Katrina. The hurricane aftermath resulted in a short-lived spike in oil prices. But in this case the higher costs are likely to be more sustained as they are caused by tension over Iran's insistance that it will continue with its controversial nuclear program.

SO GET READY:

Heavy petrolium users are already preparing for higher costs, like the National Taxi Drivers Union is seeking a fuel surcharge to be approved. Likewise the price of everything that is transported by Cars, Trucks, Planes, Ships, will have to increase accordingly, & be passed on to consumers! :thinking:

Looks like I need to start to grow our own chickens, plant a vegetable garden, & learn how to make our clothes!:rolleyes: Sad state of affairs!
Cars :)
cars

Post by cars »

SnoozeControl wrote: Jeez Cars, I just got gas for $2.19 a gallon and I thought it was high. :-2

Wow, that's great Snooze, you're lucky! If I mail you a bottle will you send me some???:D Last December when I first got down here to the SUNshine State, the price was $2.29 /gal!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Gosh, I'd drive to Utah to fill 'er up, but there goes the savings!
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Here it got up to $2.50 a LITRE just before Easter. Not as bad as in the UK, but lots worse than in the US !!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

cars

Post by cars »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Petrol here is getting very close to the £1.00 a litre. Thats just about £5.00 a gallon. In fact it may have already reached that price in the extreme parts of the British Isles ie Scottish Islands

That's pretty steep Arno, but I'll bet you guys usually drive more gas conscious cars that get 28mpg or better. Than the gas guzzlers most of us Americans drive that get 16mpg or worse! The ever popular "full size" SUV guzzler's here, gets 10 to 14mpg. I personally have 3 cars, all are American "brands", & 2 get 20mpg or better, & 1 gets 25mpg or better. (For my next car I'm thinking "Hybrid")
telaquapacky

Post by telaquapacky »

In Central California, we're hovering around $3.00 a gallon. I'm told Europeans paid about $3.00 a gallon for a long time.

Here's an interesting thing. I live near some of the largest petroleum deposits in Central California. In Bakersfield, a lot of wells were shut down because they had stopped producing. But I met a oil field worker that says they have recently started opening some wells up in the west valley that had previously been shut down, because somehow, oil is seeping into the reserves and restoring them. I didn't know that could happen. Just a little encouragement.

Thing is, and I don't mean to be political, but don't look for an administration that is crony with the oil and energy industry to be big boosters of alternative fuels or new technologies that will make their largest campaign supporters' businesses become obsolete.

Usually it takes a great disastrophe to bring about any useful change.
Look what the cat dragged in.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Thankfully, I can walk to work. I see a lot of motorcycle riding in our future, too. (Oh yeah, we'd be doing that anyway....) :yh_rotfl
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

cars

Post by cars »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Yeah you're right of course Cars. Our car is a far too sensible Fiat Punto which returns a respectable average of 38-40 mpg. Unfortunately the engine doesnt gargle and purr when you put your foot down, it whirrs and whines while very little happens ( God I miss the Jag :rolleyes: )

Oh Arno, the Jag, what memories. I used to have a Beautiful 71XKE, Maroon, Black Rag top.

I loved the car, it was so fast, and cornered like it was on rails! Unfortunately, I found out the hard way why it was called "The Rack Queen"! As it was always the most beautiful car in the repair shop up on the RACK! (Lift)

And it always cost a small fortune to repair, each & every time. Just an example, to fix my other flat American car tire, it cost me $1.50 in 1973. To fix my XKE's flat tire it cost "$12".00!!!

Because the internal "spline" in the tire rim would not fit on the tire breakdown machine, & had to be broken down using "hand tire irons". The "Lucas" Electrical system was a total distaster, & cost a forturne to replace the parts! The clutch had to be replaced to the toon of $970, American car clutch job was around $225.

And so on, too many things to list, but it was a real beauty!!!
minks

Post by minks »

$1.07/litre in British Columbia... $1.04/ L here
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Time to go green. They are supposed to break ground on an ethynol plant this summer in our town. GM already has cars out there that can take both ethynol and gas, but I have yet to see ethynol at the pumps.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Lil~Basco

Post by Lil~Basco »

Everyday since Sunday gas prices have risen 10 cents per day. Today it's at $2.89 per gallon in my area of PA. Most likely by Friday it will be over $3.00 per gallon.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It's about $2.81 near Baltimore, rising almost as fast as the electric bills here..........
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

$"4".00+ a gallon of Unleaded reg gas is not far off!

Oh I cant wait ! I hope its soon :-6
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

For those interested today's price in Bristol UK is $6.57 per US gallon.

The conversion's based on $1.77/£1 and 1.2 US gallons to the UK gallon.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Nomad wrote: $"4".00+ a gallon of Unleaded reg gas is not far off!

Oh I cant wait ! I hope its soon :-6
Oh, our little ray of sunshine here.....................
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Yep and it will only go higher...!! :-5 I'm so grateful that I only work about a miles from my home or the 1973 Chevy Camaro V-8 would cost way to much to drive for very long. I don't know how people with huge SUV's drive now it must cost a fortune to fill them babies up..:-3
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Post by spot »

Do you pay a sales tax as part of that $2.80?

UK and US prices are fairly comparable once you take that into account. Today's UK price is made up of the government tax (including both petrol duty and sales tax) of $4.14 per US gallon, and $2.43 received by the seller.

It has a significant effect on our fossil fuel reduction of use target, and ties in with our obligations under the Kyoto treaty. Signing up has provided an impetus to reduced carbon emissions. We're getting closer to constructing a new wave of nuclear power plants as a consequence.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
cars

Post by cars »

spot wrote: Do you pay a sales tax as part of that $2.80?

UK and US prices are fairly comparable once you take that into account. Today's UK price is made up of the government tax (including both petrol duty and sales tax) of $4.14 per US gallon, and $2.43 received by the seller.

It has a significant effect on our fossil fuel reduction of use target, and ties in with our obligations under the Kyoto treaty. Signing up has provided an impetus to reduced carbon emissions. We're getting closer to constructing a new wave of nuclear power plants as a consequence.

Yes Spot Taxes are a big factor in the USA prices. Total taxes add an average of 45.9 cents to the cost of a gallon of gasoline. And it varies, as it's higher in some states. Indiana taxes gas at 48 cents a gallon; California, at 60 cents, according to the Tax Foundation. New York has the highest gasoline taxes at 62.9 cents a gallon. Federal taxes add 18.4 cents to the cost of gas.

And also in addition, a lot of municipalities have gas taxes added on too. Gas taxes are cheapest in Alaska, where they total 26.4 cents. When gas prices were low, it was easy for governments to raise gas taxes. Now every penney is scrutinized!:wah:
spot

Post by spot »

cars wrote: Yes Spot Taxes are a big factor in the USA prices. Total taxes add an average of 45.9 cents to the cost of a gallon of gasoline. And it varies, as it's higher in some states. Indiana taxes gas at 48 cents a gallon; California, at 60 cents, according to the Tax Foundation. New York has the highest gasoline taxes at 62.9 cents a gallon. Federal taxes add 18.4 cents to the cost of gas.

And also in addition, a lot of municipalities have gas taxes added on too. Gas taxes are cheapest in Alaska, where they total 26.4 cents. When gas prices were low, it was easy for governments to raise gas taxes. Now every penney is scrutinized!:wah:That raises two questions in my mind then. Firstly, what argument is used at a federal, state or municipal level to justify the existence of a tax on sales; and secondly, is the sales tax rate different for gas compared to other goods - how many rates do you have to keep track of, at each level? Thirdly (for there are now three points) can businesses or any other interest group reclaim any of these sales taxes?
valerie

Post by valerie »

SnoozeControl wrote: I went into the 7-11 gas station today and asked for five dollars worth of gas.

The clerk farted and gave me a receipt.

Bad Snoozie!!

Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

cars

Post by cars »

SnoozeControl wrote: I went into the 7-11 gas station today and asked for five dollars worth of gas.

The clerk farted and gave me a receipt.
:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl
cars

Post by cars »

spot wrote: That raises two questions in my mind then. Firstly, what argument is used at a federal, state or municipal level to justify the existence of a tax on sales; and secondly, is the sales tax rate different for gas compared to other goods - how many rates do you have to keep track of, at each level? Thirdly (for there are now three points) can businesses or any other interest group reclaim any of these sales taxes?

The answer to #1 is: not a good enough one to satisfy the mass majority.

#2: The gas tax is higher than that on other taxable goods. Varies by state.

#3: Most businesses usually get a gas tax deduction allowance on their tax form.
observer1

Post by observer1 »

Lil~Basco wrote: Everyday since Sunday gas prices have risen 10 cents per day. Today it's at $2.89 per gallon in my area of PA. Most likely by Friday it will be over $3.00 per gallon.

Lil, it's about $2.89 in this part of PA too. STINKS!!! They raise the gas prices, but not cost-of-living. And then they have a problem with increasing minimum wage!! What a farst. :-5
cars

Post by cars »

PsychoticDaisy wrote: Yeah....I agree. What person can survive today on $5.15 an hour?

Right Psyc, it may not be too long before a gallon of gas costs that much!:wah:

(And welcome to the Garden)
cars

Post by cars »

Today, I got a bargain, $2.96 a gallon for regular unleaded, different Gas station!

Return to “General Chit Chat”