Satanic Filth ??

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Harls

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Harls »

onsekiz wrote: Believing that "God created us" is fundamentalism ?

I believe God created us,am I a fundimentalist?

What does that mean anyway??? Serious question by the way
Adam Zapple

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Adam Zapple »

Diuretic wrote: I don't care what people believe, I do care that people's beliefs aren't allowed to trash scientific knowledge.

Scientific theory actually, and I would agree with you. But I don't view a few local school board skirmishes, which is being handled by the local parents and teachers, as being some big threat of a worldwide theocracy. This is where I think people let there prejudices and bigotry against religion get the best of them.
Ted

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Ted »

I believe that God created us. I also accept the scientific view of evolution as reality. I'm a fundamentalist? I don't think so. In fact far from it.

In fact I think that religion and science should be working together and not in opposition. Science is one way of looking at reality and the physical world and religion is another way of looking at reality and in the process of answering to the questions that science is not geared for. The two should complement each other.

May God preserve us from any form of theocracy. That would be a very grave tragedy.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Adam Zapple

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Adam Zapple »

Ted, I am in full agreement with your post. :-6
Lulu2

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Lulu2 »

A'Z says "But I don't view a few local school board skirmishes, which is being handled by the local parents and teachers, as being some big threat of a worldwide theocracy. This is where I think people let there prejudices and bigotry against religion get the best of them."

Oh, if that were all there is, I might agree with you. But when the man living in the White House announces that "the jury's still out on evolution" and he thinks students should be exposed to "creationism" in public schools...it's a bit more than "a few local...skirmishes." He represents the proverbial tip of that proverbial ice cube!

Your comment about prejudices/bigotry reminds me a bit of people like Al Sharpton. He's the first one to scream those words when someone criticizes an action of his or someone else of his color. It's easy to see bigots behind every bush if you're unwilling to take a close look at facts.

(Remember that I'm very fond of you, A'Z...and not nearly as anti-religion as you seem to believe. Remember, my family was/is "in the fold," so to speak. It's the dangerous fringes who scare me enough to be politically incorrect and speak up.)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
AussiePam

Satanic Filth ??

Post by AussiePam »

Ted wrote:

May God preserve us from any form of theocracy. That would be a very grave tragedy.

Shalom

Theocracy. If the State was governed directly by God, we would possibly be blissfully back in a pre-serpent Garden of Eden. Unfortunately theocracy seems to be people (usually old men) presuming to know God's mind and forcing their often very nasty, self-interested interpretations on the rest of us.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

AussiePam

Satanic Filth ??

Post by AussiePam »

GUFFAW... not that I understood. Pinky, may I offer you a large glass of best champers? Then I gotta git my stylish politically incorrect butt the heckoutta here and off to life's coalface.

"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Ted

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Ted »

Diuretic:-6

Obviously, I don't agree.

Shalom

Marie5656

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Marie5656 »

Diuretic wrote: Eloquent Ted but for mine religion doesn't deal with reality at all, if it did then it would be a competitor with science and that's the point I'm trying to make. Religion has to do with human spirituality and not reality. I don't think the two can complement one another but they can certainly co-exist without hostility. The problem is that in both science and religion there are extremes of view and the existence of one, in the minds of some, threatens the viability, even the existence, of the other.

My husband put things an interesting way, to explain creation and science. He said that people look at God created the heaven and earth in seven days..and think literally...of 7--24 hour days. But for all we know, one of God's days could have been a million years. He said that many people could then combine the scientific thought of the world/universe being millions of years old against the God 7 day belief.
Ted

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Ted »

Marie:-6

The only problem with that is the story of creation in the Bible, of which there are two entirely different stories, is pure myth in the true sense of the word. It is not historical reality. It is an envented story to explain how we got here. It was written in the only way the ancients could understand..

Shalom

Marie5656

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Marie5656 »

Ted wrote: Marie:-6

The only problem with that is the story of creation in the Bible, of which there are two entirely different stories, is pure myth in the true sense of the word. It is not historical reality. It is an envented story to explain how we got here. It was written in the only way the ancients could understand..

Shalom

Ted, I do agree with your point of view. My husband has much stronger religeous beliefs than I do. I do enjoy some biblical stories for thier historical value of how things may have been in that time. But, I am not sure I can believe all I read in the bible as..pardon the unintentional pun...the whole gospel truth.

SO much of it was written so many years after the "fact"..and mainly from memory. I can barely remember enough of last week to accuratly retell what happened!! :-2
Ted

Satanic Filth ??

Post by Ted »

Marie:-6

I am a very devout Christian pluralist. However, the Bible is a religious book and not a history book. There is some history there but relatively little.

The Bible is composed of: myth, legend, folk tale, poetry, short story, fiction, theology, philosophy etc. It was never meant to be taken literally. This does not however, denigrate the book as a sacred story that presents truth. Something does not have to be historically true to present profound truths.

It was written in a midrashic style which in ancient times referred to both the style of writing and interpretation. Midrash makes a great deal of use of metaphor. It is a style of writing that uses past events to interpret later events.

Shalom

Return to “Christianity”