Crocodile Hunter

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
libertine

Crocodile Hunter

Post by libertine »

I just read on another website that Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter has been killed by a sting Ray sticking him in the chest.

Any further news? The article said his wife is trekking in Tasmania.

I used to enjoy Crocodile Hunter . Haven't watched it for ages, because it was reruns.

I know he did some strange things, but he was entertaining.

I feel uncommonly sad. Not like when most celebrities die....but almost bereft.
AussiePam

Crocodile Hunter

Post by AussiePam »

GEESCH. First I heard of it!!! What a way to go !!!! I'm just going to check the aussie news, see if there's anything more there.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

AussiePam

Crocodile Hunter

Post by AussiePam »

Yes it's true. Happened in Queensland on the Great Barrier Reef.

Tombstone

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Tombstone »

Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
MoreThanALover

Crocodile Hunter

Post by MoreThanALover »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_en_tv/obit_irwin

There is another link.

I just read a bulletin on myspace....go figure. That is so sad. Having a wife and two kids 8 and 3. So heart breaking. :(
abbey

Crocodile Hunter

Post by abbey »

How sad, i loved that guy he really cared for and had a lot of respect for crocs. :-1
Marie5656

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Marie5656 »

K.Snyder

Crocodile Hunter

Post by K.Snyder »

Being busy with another thread at the same time this was posted, I had missed it and posted another one. For that I aplogize.

I always liked watching his documentaries....

He was extremely knowledgable in everything he did with those animals.

truly sad.
chonsigirl

Crocodile Hunter

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I heard it on the news first thing this morning. That is so sad.

He brought the love of animals and nature back to us all, through his daring wit and personality. My thoughts are with his wife and children.
Shweet tatersalad

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

It is a sad day indeed.Steve had the balls I wish I had.very much a animal activist.

And extremely entertaining.He was making a impact and progress in the preservation of animals.I extremely liked his persona,couldn't take your eyes off of him.And he had no fear of anything.He Will be be missed by his daughter Bindy,Ans will always be a role model for the people who's lives he touched.At least we have him On film too look back on for example,Heaven needed a Zoo keepa I reck'in.
fisher

Crocodile Hunter

Post by fisher »

This is a sad day indeed. I am a big fan of his shows. I just loved how he could keep you at the edge of your seat and make you laugh at the same time. I will truly miss him.
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
Uncle Kram

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Uncle Kram »

Breaks my heart - I loved the guy. Always found him far more interesting than the animals which made him unique

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Lulu2

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Lulu2 »

He had an engaging personality and a passion for educating about wildlife and he did an enormous amount of good. Luckily, his children will have a legacy of films and videos of his work. Obviously, that won't make up for the tragic loss of a father.

(Anyone who's worked with reptiles will tell you he was careless and rash when handling them. I saw him very nearly bitten on the face while mishandling a large snake! His death doesn't come as a real surprise...he DASHED through life, didn't he?)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Shweet tatersalad

Crocodile Hunter

SnoozeControl wrote: I hate to sound callous, but I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.

He was definitely entertaining to watch.

yep,he lived his life his way.Giving all too his passion.No one like him,we don't realize that the great walk among us until they are gone.He live by his own rules and care not what people thought of him.He believed in himself as a person.One of the few I really looked up to.far too often the Good are taken from us,Steve,Diana..etc and the filth is left too roam the earth too rot us.Makes you think If there is really a God,and why does he hate us so?
Shweet tatersalad

Crocodile Hunter

SnoozeControl wrote: I've been wondering that a lot lately since BR's accident.
makes you think,dos it not?

Acknowledge someone today and every day for that matter.For tomorrow they may be gone and you will have lost the chance.

The older we get ,the less we have.And life is too short too love everyone,so warm your inner circle.
cars

Crocodile Hunter

Post by cars »

It's a sad thing, & ironic at the same time. With all his antics/risks he took with those big crocks, I always thought he would have ended up in the belly of one. But to be done in by a freak thing like being speared by a Rays tail, go figure. Guess You just don't ever know!:(
Cars :)
Shweet tatersalad

Crocodile Hunter

cars wrote: It's a sad thing, & ironic at the same time. With all his antics/risks he took with those big crocks, I always thought he would have ended up in the belly of one. But to be done in by a freak thing like being speared by a Rays tail, go figure. Guess You just don't ever know!:(

A special man,taken in a special way.If death had too come,It is respectful that it came when he was doing what he loved most and not something unfit for the icon that he was/is.going down swinging is what i call it.
along-for-the-ride

Crocodile Hunter

Post by along-for-the-ride »

We used to watch his show all the time and saw the many risks he took to educate us in the ways of the animals. He was so enthusiastic about his job, the animals and most importantly, his family. We saw this.

Our condolences to Terry, Bindy and Bob and all the Erwin family.:yh_flower
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Atlantia

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Atlantia »

Very sad news, I was shocked when I heard. My nephew must be terribly upset, he was a real fan of him.
Some people think this is it;

fish think the same about the sea.
CARLA

Crocodile Hunter

Post by CARLA »

One of a kind for sure he educated us in is own special way, he died doing what he was destined to do .. may he rest in peace..:-1
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

cars

Crocodile Hunter

Post by cars »

Shweet tatersalad wrote: A special man,taken in a special way.If death had too come,It is respectful that it came when he was doing what he loved most and not something unfit for the icon that he was/is.going down swinging is what i call it.

Yes he was special, & it's good for him that he went out the way he would have wanted to if he had his choice! But it's a shame that he was taken so young, if he was "74" instead of 44 it might not have been so sad. However, if he made it to 74, most likely he would not have been doing many of those "risky" things he did at 44. So. . . . .
Cars :)
woppy71

Crocodile Hunter

Post by woppy71 »

This is indeed a sad day. I don't often let the death of "celebs" affect me too much, but Steve Irwin, like so many other people who advanced the knowledge of the human race, paid the ultimate price.

My thoughts are with his children and wife at this sad time.

RIP steve Irwin :(
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
daBunnyWendy7

Crocodile Hunter

Post by daBunnyWendy7 »

We will miss Steve and his Boyish enthusiasim(pure loving heart).I am glad he died in his element;educating the planet.
Wendybunny

Everyone can make the world a better place!
Adam Zapple

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Adam Zapple »

Only the good die young. I really liked Steve Irwin, he will be missed. RIP, Steve.
MoreThanALover

Crocodile Hunter

Post by MoreThanALover »

There is a thing on animal planet....
K.Snyder

Crocodile Hunter

Post by K.Snyder »

Shweet tatersalad wrote: Makes you think If there is really a God,and why does he hate us so?

If god lived our lives for us, it wouldnt be free will, would it?

If we are not given free will to do the things we love to do, is no different than not living at all. The man did what he loved to do, and was good at it (regardless of this accident). I dont beleive he would regret the lifestyle that he chose to live, only for not being able to be there for his childeren as a result of the choice he chose to make.
LilacDragon

Crocodile Hunter

Post by LilacDragon »

The people at Animal Planet have been pretty busy today and they are showing bits and pieces of the different episodes of "Crocodile Hunter". Interview shots of him, the birth of his children, different adventures that he went on with his lovely wife Terri.

One of the interview questions they asked him was "How would you like to be remembered?" His answer "For my passion and enthusiasm. My passion and enthusiasm for wildlife conservation."

Somehow, I don't think that is going to be a problem.
Sandi

Rain

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Rain »

I think Steve Irwin was to the kids now a days, like Jaques Cousteau was to our day. It's a sad loss, and my thoughts go to Terri and his 2 kids.

But I always felt he was too reckless. Especially when he held his 3 month old son during a croc show. Why he felt it was alright to swim above a sting ray is beyond me. Normal defense mode for a wild animal is to stike out when they feel threatened. It was a fast death. I'm glad of that. A slow death is not what he deserved. 44 years old. How sad :(
LilacDragon

Crocodile Hunter

Post by LilacDragon »

Rain wrote: I think Steve Irwin was to the kids now a days, like Jaques Cousteau was to our day. It's a sad loss, and my thoughts go to Terri and his 2 kids.

But I always felt he was too reckless. Especially when he held his 3 month old son during a croc show. Why he felt it was alright to swim above a sting ray is beyond me. Normal defense mode for a wild animal is to stike out when they feel threatened. It was a fast death. I'm glad of that. A slow death is not what he deserved. 44 years old. How sad :(

If the only coverage you saw of him holding one month old Bob while feeding the croc was the one on the news - well, it is no wonder you thought he was being reckless.

They showed much more of that "incident" tonight on Animal Planet. The Croc had already been fed and had to work for his dinner. He would have had to go through Steve to get to the baby - not to mention mom standing right behind Steve and 11 other people inside the enclosure.
Sandi

MoreThanALover

Crocodile Hunter

Post by MoreThanALover »

It's so sad to watch the show....you have to wonder how had it is for his kids and terri.:(
spot

Crocodile Hunter

Post by spot »

Rain wrote: I think Steve Irwin was to the kids now a days, like Jaques Cousteau was to our day.Steve Irwin's style was a return to the on-site expert who gave the impression of letting viewers into his world, rather than accompanying them from his normal city environment like Desmond Morris or David Attenborough. Cousteau is a good parallel. Hans and Lotte Hass were a revelation underwater too, and Armand Denis had a similar approach in Africa. Engaging the focus of young viewers on wildlife brings them a lifetime's interest, it's worth catching their attention and he was good at that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Portia

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Portia »

i was extremely saddened by this news.
AussiePam

Crocodile Hunter

Post by AussiePam »

Steve Irwin was a good bloke. Popular in Australia too, unlike many of our exports. Crikey! Barry Humphries took some of the worst bits of Australia to overseas audiences, almost parodies. Paul Hogan in his earlier stage was fine, many feel he sold out to Hollywood and Aussies tend to disown him these days. We don't recognise his new smoothed out face either.

But Steve Irwin displayed to the world some of the best Aussie characteristics - boyish enthusiasm, steadfast energy to do his bit for what he believed in, a great sense of adventure, a kind of innocence. Down to earth and unspoiled. He told it like it was and stood tall.

I guess I'm doing a eulogy speech here.

I'll be raising a cold tinnie in your honour tonight Steve and sending loving thoughtwaves to your family. Safe journey, mate.

chrisb84uk

Crocodile Hunter

Post by chrisb84uk »

I think I have heard of him, but I have never seen any of his programs. Very sorry to hear about his loss. :(
Portia

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Portia »

i'm a SCUBA diver. that is the most unlikely and freakiest of fatalities i have ever heard of. usually stingrays lay on the bottom and under the sand. you only get a barb if you step on them. ....i am so sorry for his family.
spot

Crocodile Hunter

Post by spot »

I ran into a conger eel once about forty feet down off a Devon beach and that may well rank as the scariest moment of my life so far. Goodness knows how anyone can get close to a ray, I think the nearest we have to that off our coastline is the humble and contrite sole.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Shweet tatersalad

Crocodile Hunter

I hope it's televised here,He deserves global appreciation.
CARLA

Crocodile Hunter

Post by CARLA »

I agree so sad for his family but his Legacy will live on..:-1

[QUOTE]I hope it's televised here,He deserves global appreciation.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

minks

Crocodile Hunter

Post by minks »

Crikey this is sad news I loved his enthusiasim. I learned from him that you need to understand the animal you fear then you can stop fearing it. Brilliant man, amazing stories.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bryn Mawr

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AussiePam wrote: Barry Humphries took some of the worst bits of Australia to overseas audiences, almost parodies.

I really am having massive difficulty here - thinking of Barry Humphries as *almost* a parody.

I'm also haveing massive difficulty coming to terms with the idea that the irrepressable energy of Steve Irwin has gone.
MoreThanALover

Crocodile Hunter

Post by MoreThanALover »

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/artic ... 5409990001

Link to watch an interview from abc news.
AussiePam

Crocodile Hunter

Post by AussiePam »

Oh Bryn, I gave you massive difficulty... Pammie is sorry.... Giggle...

ZAP

Crocodile Hunter

Post by ZAP »

spot wrote: I ran into a conger eel once about forty feet down off a Devon beach and that may well rank as the scariest moment of my life so far. Goodness knows how anyone can get close to a ray, I think the nearest we have to that off our coastline is the humble and contrite sole.

About 5 years ago we were on a cruise in Tahiti and the surrounding islands. We fed the rays on 3 different side trips. The guide told us to be careful not to step on their tails. We hugged and petted these beautiful creatures. There was no sense of danger. I've been watching my videos of my 3 friends and me on this trip.

This must have been a horribly freakish accident.

Return to “Australia”