Christian Taliban At It Again!

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

In yet another move to impose "Christian values" on the rest of us, Christian groups pressured NBC to delete a controversial segment of Madonna's concert, which was taped last summer and will be aired next month.

The segment shows Madonna on a cross. Anyone who's a Madonna fan (I'm not one of them) knows about this segment of the concert. Anyone who views this concert has the right to turn it off and watch "Hour of Power." Or pray. Or sing hymns. (Nobody's trying to suppress THOSE activities.)

Apparently, freedom of expression might be "free" if it's not showing something which OFFENDS religious conservatives....whether they choose to watch the program or not. Not only do they not want to watch...but they don't want the REST of us to watch it, either!

It seems Christian conservatives are not afraid to emulate their fellow Muslim conservatives in the effort to impose their values on the general population.

Of course, it's OK if the protesters/imposers are CHRISTIAN....right? Our friend ADAM and I have disagreed on this comparison in the past. What do you think?

How does this differ from the Taliban, who choose to censor television and films, who choose to impose their religious view into law and who deny science, technology and any other religious expression?
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Wellllllll.....I'm not sure censoring Madonna's pseudo-crucifixion is the same as the taliban's censoring of science and other instances of thinking for oneself. Honestly, I'm not bothered either way by christians getting uppity about Madonna. Actually, I'm not that upset about the taliban either. There was a time I would be up in arms about it but it seems like these days everybody's doing everbody else's thinking for them. Seems like a never ending irritation. I can still think for myself so far, so that's what I do. Madonna hanging off a cross is nothing new, christian folks! She did that 20 years ago! :thinking:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

You crack me up. Instead of complaining about people excercising their right to act offended, why not complain about the spineless NBC folks?
Ted

Post by Ted »

Generally I am opposed to censorship in any form. However, I do agree with the present practice of rating films and games and magazines.

If that is all the Christian conservatives have to worry about then we are not in bad shape.

Shalom

'Ted:-6
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Accountable wrote: why not complain about the spineless NBC folks?

That's a good point.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Admittedly, I didn't focus enough on NBC, although I'd hoped it was implicit in my post. IF the networks weren't so easily COWED, the Christian Taliban couldn't influence them! They won't stop trying, of course.

However, NBC is NOT the primary offender here. The absolutely ridiculous idea that anyone's FAITH is compromised if they see something like Madonna's show is totally beyond me!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Clint

Post by Clint »

Whew! I don't know where to start. I just wonder if there was this much concern about Muslim reaction to some cartoons. Why can't Christians be offended? It seems there is plenty of freedom when it comes to being offended about Christians.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Lulu2 wrote: How does this differ from the Taliban, who choose to censor television and films, who choose to impose their religious view into law and who deny science, technology and any other religious expression?How is it similar? :confused:

I see many more parallels between the Christians in the OP and the strident howls of the offended in this thread: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=15315
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

"NBC did the right thing, but the fact that it did not say why the offensive part of Madonna's concert was cut shows cowardice," said Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League. "What NBC should have done is to admit that since it refused to air the Danish cartoons that Muslims objected to earlier in the year, it felt obliged not to treat Christians in a discriminatory manner."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061020/ap_ ... N1YmNhdA--

So the truth should really be that NBC doesn't really want to deal with headaches of offending any religion in particular.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Remember when News was News and not the Moral Police? When the facts were given regardless of who they might offend?

EVERYBODY is offended these days. It's PC gone amok!
Clint

Post by Clint »

RedGlitter wrote: Remember when News was News and not the Moral Police? When the facts were given regardless of who they might offend?

EVERYBODY is offended these days. It's PC gone amok!
That's been a while. The good old days...maybe. There was a time in our past when you could talk about the issues at work too. Now there isn't a way for an honest debate to take place. All it does is strenghten the factions and increase the size of the divisions.

I've had people try to convert me to Islam and other faiths and never thought of it as anything more or less than someone wanting me to join them. It's a form of flattery. I've always felt free to tell them I'm not interested and if they persist I've told them to get lost.

If they point a weapon at me or threaten me with violence and insist I convert, that's another story.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.

Return to “Christianity”