12 Days Till Europe

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

I'm looking forward to my first trip abroad. I'm very excited about leaving in 12 days.

What are you looking forward to?
Uncle Kram

12 Days Till Europe

Post by Uncle Kram »

Hearing all about it :D

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
abbey

12 Days Till Europe

Post by abbey »

Hiya Sojo

Spending Xmas with my mum. :-4

Hope you have a good trip.x
Bill Sikes

12 Days Till Europe

Post by Bill Sikes »

What's your approximate itinerary?
Mystery

12 Days Till Europe

Post by Mystery »

I'm looking forward to seeing my son's eyes light up at all the Christmas decorations and of course, Christmas morning :)

I always wanted to travel to Europe, but they make you ride an airplane :rolleyes:

<---fraidy cat re: airplanes

I hope your trip is terrific!
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

Bill Sikes;470076 wrote: What's your approximate itinerary?

Flying into Frankfurt, Germany. Hubby has business near there.

Then Belgium and PARIS!

I'm well set for what I want to see in Belgium and Paris, but have not yet determined the plan for 2 days in the south of Germany. Any thoughts?
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

Mystery;470113 wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing my son's eyes light up at all the Christmas decorations and of course, Christmas morning :)

I always wanted to travel to Europe, but they make you ride an airplane :rolleyes:

Thanks Mystery! How old is your son? Our daughter and 29-month old grandson live with us and we are returning from Europe specifically to be there for Christmas with the 'little guy'. Wouldn't miss it for the world............
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

abbey;470063 wrote: Hiya Sojo

Spending Xmas with my mum. :-4

Hope you have a good trip.x

Thanks Abby............ Hope your Christmas is a great one!
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

Uncle Kram;470058 wrote: Hearing all about it :D

Oh you may be sorry --- I just love sharing................... ;)
minks

12 Days Till Europe

Post by minks »

Sojo welcome back, gosh enjoy yourself and YES if you can get to Paris do so, it's lovely and I hear over christmas it's wonderful.

I wish I could go back for christmas :)

Minks
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Mystery

12 Days Till Europe

Post by Mystery »

SOJOURNER;470134 wrote: Thanks Mystery! How old is your son? Our daughter and 29-month old grandson live with us and we are returning from Europe specifically to be there for Christmas with the 'little guy'. Wouldn't miss it for the world............

He's just turned 3 in October :) He's defo a character! I hope your Christmas is terrific!
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

Mystery;470177 wrote: He's just turned 3 in October :) He's defo a character! I hope your Christmas is terrific!

I'm sure both of ours will be special -- how can they not with such young ones in the house................... :-6
Mystery

12 Days Till Europe

Post by Mystery »

SOJOURNER;470182 wrote: I'm sure both of ours will be special -- how can they not with such young ones in the house................... :-6

They definitely make everything worth your while!
chonsigirl

12 Days Till Europe

Post by chonsigirl »

You have a wonderful time, Sojo! How exciting for you!
Galbally

12 Days Till Europe

Post by Galbally »

SOJOURNER;470127 wrote: Flying into Frankfurt, Germany. Hubby has business near there.

Then Belgium and PARIS!

I'm well set for what I want to see in Belgium and Paris, but have not yet determined the plan for 2 days in the south of Germany. Any thoughts?

Hiya sojourner, I've been in all of those places, you will love Europe, its a great continent, my continent so I am biased but no, you will have a great time. Frankfurt is quite a large city, its kinda a bit busniessy and boring I'm afriad all banks and skyscrapers and efficient German financiers, shame you arent to Munich or Berlin, or Hamburg, they are the cities to be in in Germany, specially Berlin, its all happenin there at the moment. Belgium is nice, friendly people, slightly eccentric, Brussels is a nice enough city though its a bit weird as one part is the old city and the other is the European Union part which is ultramodern and like a different city altogether. Paris, well what can I say, hopefully you will have some nice weather, go walking along the Seine, go to see the Champs Du Mars and le Tour Eiffel of course, check out the food shops and the patiesseries (cake shops, fantastic), the left bank, Notre Dame, Ille de la Citie, Ecole Militaire, the Champs Elyeesse, (bit touristy and expensive there though), Paris is a wonderful city you will love it, and the French people are nice as long as you make a minimal effort to speak a little french like "excuse moi, je ne parlez francais, parlez vous anglais?", you will have a great time, and eat as much as possible, the food is excellent.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Betty Boop

12 Days Till Europe

Post by Betty Boop »

Hope you have a great time Sojo! Good to see you! :-4
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

minks;470166 wrote: Sojo welcome back, gosh enjoy yourself and YES if you can get to Paris do so, it's lovely and I hear over christmas it's wonderful.

I wish I could go back for christmas :)

Minks

Thanks Minks.......... I am so looking forward to this trip! :-6
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

chonsigirl;470220 wrote: You have a wonderful time, Sojo! How exciting for you!

Thanks Chonsi -- I sure am looking forward to the trip. :-6
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

tmbsgrl;470428 wrote: Hmm pics and hearing every last detail.. Well maybe not EVERY last detail- Just the good ones!

Am planning to journal as I go. Do you journal when you travel?
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

Galbally;470529 wrote: Hiya sojourner, I've been in all of those places, you will love Europe, its a great continent, my continent so I am biased but no, you will have a great time. Frankfurt is quite a large city, its kinda a bit busniessy and boring I'm afriad all banks and skyscrapers and efficient German financiers, shame you arent to Munich or Berlin, or Hamburg, they are the cities to be in in Germany, specially Berlin, its all happenin there at the moment. Belgium is nice, friendly people, slightly eccentric, Brussels is a nice enough city though its a bit weird as one part is the old city and the other is the European Union part which is ultramodern and like a different city altogether. Paris, well what can I say, hopefully you will have some nice weather, go walking along the Seine, go to see the Champs Du Mars and le Tour Eiffel of course, check out the food shops and the patiesseries (cake shops, fantastic), the left bank, Notre Dame, Ille de la Citie, Ecole Militaire, the Champs Elyeesse, (bit touristy and expensive there though), Paris is a wonderful city you will love it, and the French people are nice as long as you make a minimal effort to speak a little french like "excuse moi, je ne parlez francais, parlez vous anglais?", you will have a great time, and eat as much as possible, the food is excellent.

I've got my little French phrase book and will check on prounication on the internet and practice it.

Tho we are flying into Frankfurt, we do not have to stay there before heading north. We will be renting a car. Depending on the driving time we could go to Munich (but my hubby has been there and I really would like to be in places neither one of us has yet seen so that we will have these memories together........

What do you know about Cologne?
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

Betty Boop;470534 wrote: Hope you have a great time Sojo! Good to see you! :-4

Thanks Betty -- good to see you too............. :-6
Galbally

12 Days Till Europe

Post by Galbally »

SOJOURNER;470681 wrote: I've got my little French phrase book and will check on prounication on the internet and practice it.

Tho we are flying into Frankfurt, we do not have to stay there before heading north. We will be renting a car. Depending on the driving time we could go to Munich (but my hubby has been there and I really would like to be in places neither one of us has yet seen so that we will have these memories together........

What do you know about Cologne?

I was in cologne once, but I must admit straight away I was on a bit of a crazy travelling around trip with other Irish people around germany on the trains that particular week, (it seemed like a fun thing to do, and it was!) and I was only there for about a day, and I was a little bit, well drunk, but it was a nice place, it has of course a very famous Gothic cathedral, it was originally a Roman fronter post on the Rhine to stop the maurading germans invading the Empire, its a big cultural centre in Germany and an Important religious centre in olden days, and I remember that it was nice architecturally, and that the people in that part of Germany were very nice to us, despite our drunken Irish partying, and missing our train to Stuttgart, there are loads of places in Germany you could check out, I lived in Munich mostly for about a year and a half, and then was in Prague and Austria for some time so I don't know so much about the western side of Germany, but I've been through some of it and its lovely with of course loads of architecture and history. I guess the best thing is to just do what you are planning and see lots of places together, everywhere in Europe is crammed with interesting things and history and scenery and stuff that you won;t have experienced before different peoples and cultures, so you won;t go far wrong whatever you do. I really hope you have a nice visit and get some fun time to spend together with your husband.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
SOJOURNER

12 Days Till Europe

Post by SOJOURNER »

Galbally;470802 wrote: I was in cologne once, but I must admit straight away I was on a bit of a crazy travelling around trip with other Irish people around germany on the trains that particular week, (it seemed like a fun thing to do, and it was!) and I was only there for about a day, and I was a little bit, well drunk, but it was a nice place, it has of course a very famous Gothic cathedral, it was originally a Roman fronter post on the Rhine to stop the maurading germans invading the Empire, its a big cultural centre in Germany and an Important religious centre in olden days, and I remember that it was nice architecturally, and that the people in that part of Germany were very nice to us, despite our drunken Irish partying, and missing our train to Stuttgart, there are loads of places in Germany you could check out, I lived in Munich mostly for about a year and a half, and then was in Prague and Austria for some time so I don't know so much about the western side of Germany, but I've been through some of it and its lovely with of course loads of architecture and history. I guess the best thing is to just do what you are planning and see lots of places together, everywhere in Europe is crammed with interesting things and history and scenery and stuff that you won;t have experienced before different peoples and cultures, so you won;t go far wrong whatever you do. I really hope you have a nice visit and get some fun time to spend together with your husband.

Thanks for your insight. I am planning on being rather loose about where we'll be and when so that spontinatity will be guiding us rather that an iteniary.
chrisb84uk

12 Days Till Europe

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hello Sojo, nice to see you back, I hope you have a brilliant trip, and remember to tell us all about it when you get back!! :-6

Return to “General Chit Chat”