RedGlitter

Al Gore: Go Greener in 5 Steps

Post by RedGlitter »

Five ways to go green from Al Gore

Story Highlights

Former Vice President Al Gore says easy things can help climate

Using compact fluorescent lightbulbs, programmable thermostats

Buying local, organic produce reduces energy use

Look for Energy Star label on new appliances(Oprah.com) -- You can become a part of the fight against global warming. Former Vice President Al Gore shares the five things you can buy now that will help solve the climate crisis -- and save you a few bucks! Plus, more of his easy going green tips!

Five things you can buy

1. Compact fluorescent lightbulbs

These energy-efficient bulbs cost less than $4 and are produced by major corporations like GE. If every household in America switched five regular light bulbs for five fluorescent bulbs, it would be the equivalent of taking 1 million cars off the highways for a full year.

2. Outdoor solar lighting

These yard or patio lights cost less than $20, and they don't burn any electricity or produce any CO2.

3. Programmable thermostats

Though these thermostats cost from $50 to $100, they can actually cut your heating and cooling costs. Set the setting so it's a little bit cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer when you're not in the house. A difference of 2 degrees can reduce a home's CO2 emissions by up to 9 percent over the course of a year.

4. Air filters

Changing the air filters in your heating and cooling systems regularly can knock 2 percent off of your CO2 output each year.

5. Electric water heater blanket

Water heaters use a lot of energy and generate a lot of CO2. A blanket costs less than $18 and can cut your home's CO2 emissions by almost 4½ percent.

Keep green in mind!

Gore says that when you're shopping for major home appliances, look for the Energy Star label. "This is a signal that you're getting an environmentally efficient appliance that's going to save you money at the same time," he says.

During a simple trip to the grocery store, you make hundreds of decisions that can have real environmental impacts. With just a few easy changes, you can make a positive difference in the world.

Instead of regular aluminum foil or plastic wrap, buy recycled aluminum foil. It uses just 1/20th of the energy needed to produce regular foil.

Look for items without extensive packaging. Most food packaging material uses some petroleum-based plastic. There are several ways to cut down on the energy and waste this produces. Look for minimally or unpackaged items instead. Experiment with bringing your own packaging or buying in bulk. Purchase brands that use bio-based instead of petroleum-based plastic. Recycle or reuse packaging materials you end up having to buy.

Bring a cloth bag to the grocery store instead of using its plastic bags. An estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide each year. That's 1 million bags used per minute.

And, according to the EPA, more than 380 billion of those are discarded in the United States. Less than 1 percent of those are actually recycled. Instead, these bags will clog landfills, create litter, choke streams and harm marine wildlife, like whales, seals and sea turtles.

Buy local and organic. Buying seasonal, locally produced food helps in a number of ways. Most food travels 1,500 miles from "farm to fork." But buying local food drastically reduces the energy spent on food shipping. Local goods also tend to use minimal packaging, are fresher and come in more varieties.

The best place to track down local food is at your local farmers' markets or through the Community Supported Agriculture Department. Farmers who grow produce organically use less fossil fuel and release fewer greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. Organic farming is better for the land, for the farmers and for the consumers.
BTS

Post by BTS »

HMMMMMM

Who has the mas green-er house?

House #1 A 20 room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house, all heated by gas. In one month this residence consumes more energy than ! the ave rage American household does in a year. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400. In natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not situated in a Northern or Midwestern "snow belt" area. It's in the South.

House #2 Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university. This house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house is 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on a high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds ; geothermal heat-pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer! The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas and it consumes one-quarter electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Surrounding flowers and shrubs native to the area enable the property to blend into the surrounding rural landscape.

~~~~~

HOUSE #1 is outside of Nashville , Tennessee ; it is the abode of the "environmentalist" Al Gore;

HOUSE #2 is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas ; it is the residence the of the President of the United States , George W. Bush.

An "inconvenient truth".

If Mr. Gore walked the walk and not the TALK we might start to listen
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

:wah:

Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

BTS;699563 wrote: HMMMMMM

Who has the mas green-er house?

Gore attracts ad-hominem attacks. Whatever the truth or falsehood of them, it doesn't in itself detract from the message.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

RedGlitter;699531 wrote: !

Five things you can buy

1. Compact fluorescent lightbulbs

These energy-efficient bulbs cost less than $4 and are produced by major corporations like GE. If every household in America switched five regular light bulbs for five fluorescent bulbs, it would be the equivalent of taking 1 million cars off the highways for a full year.

They are in every socket in my house that one will fit.

2. Outdoor solar lighting

These yard or patio lights cost less than $20, and they don't burn any electricity or produce any CO2.

I don't have any outdoor lighting, except for my porchlight which is a flourescent. My backyard is light by a streetllght paid for by the city. :wah:

3. Programmable thermostats

Though these thermostats cost from $50 to $100, they can actually cut your heating and cooling costs. Set the setting so it's a little bit cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer when you're not in the house. A difference of 2 degrees can reduce a home's CO2 emissions by up to 9 percent over the course of a year.

have one of these. And it's set for 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Gas prices are outrageous!

4. Air filters

Changing the air filters in your heating and cooling systems regularly can knock 2 percent off of your CO2 output each year.

Ok I'm bad bout remembering to do this. Usually gets done every 3 months or so.

5. Electric water heater blanket

Water heaters use a lot of energy and generate a lot of CO2. A blanket costs less than $18 and can cut your home's CO2 emissions by almost 4½ percent.

Never heard of water heater blankets, but I don't like electric blankets.

Keep green in mind!

Gore says that when you're shopping for major home appliances, look for the Energy Star label. "This is a signal that you're getting an environmentally efficient appliance that's going to save you money at the same time," he says.

During a simple trip to the grocery store, you make hundreds of decisions that can have real environmental impacts. With just a few easy changes, you can make a positive difference in the world.

Instead of regular aluminum foil or plastic wrap, buy recycled aluminum foil. It uses just 1/20th of the energy needed to produce regular foil.

Look for items without extensive packaging. Most food packaging material uses some petroleum-based plastic. There are several ways to cut down on the energy and waste this produces. Look for minimally or unpackaged items instead. Experiment with bringing your own packaging or buying in bulk. Purchase brands that use bio-based instead of petroleum-based plastic. Recycle or reuse packaging materials you end up having to buy.

Bring a cloth bag to the grocery store instead of using its plastic bags. An estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide each year. That's 1 million bags used per minute.

And, according to the EPA, more than 380 billion of those are discarded in the United States. Less than 1 percent of those are actually recycled. Instead, these bags will clog landfills, create litter, choke streams and harm marine wildlife, like whales, seals and sea turtles.

Buy local and organic. Buying seasonal, locally produced food helps in a number of ways. Most food travels 1,500 miles from "farm to fork." But buying local food drastically reduces the energy spent on food shipping. Local goods also tend to use minimal packaging, are fresher and come in more varieties.

The best place to track down local food is at your local farmers' markets or through the Community Supported Agriculture Department. Farmers who grow produce organically use less fossil fuel and release fewer greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. Organic farming is better for the land, for the farmers and for the consumers.

And I'm not even gonna touch the organic farming is best theory, because I think it's a bunch of hoopla! But I do agree for better produce, do shop at your local farmer's market, but not necessarily for organic.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

Sheryl;730160 wrote: And I'm not even gonna touch the organic farming is best theory, because I think it's a bunch of hoopla! But I do agree for better produce, do shop at your local farmer's market, but not necessarily for organic.
Organic sure tastes better.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

If I were to hand you a ear of sweet corn, one supposedly organic, and the other grown conventional ways. I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference.

As for tomatoes and produce like that I'll agree, items from farmers market do taste better. And that's because the tomatoes in grocery stores are picked while still green, no flavor. A good tomato picked after being allowed to ripen, is always better. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Snidely Whiplash

Post by Snidely Whiplash »

Al who..? Is that the guy who has 4 mansions with year round heated swimming pools, one with a zinc mine on it that has dumped countless tons of pollutants into his streams, rivers and neighborhoods, the guy who fly's around in his private jets all the time, has his gourmet food flown in from around the world, has had his docu-fiction movie debunked by everyone, and has been taken to court in UK for it's falsehoods and lost his case, and held the biggest most energy intensive series of rock concerts(live earth) in history making himself and his private organization millions and millions of dollars to quote "make people aware of global warming"..? And he got a nobel peace prize for all this.. LOL ??????? :wah::wah:

I'm as "Green" as most, I recycle and conserve... But to take heed to Al Gore and his suggestions, or treat him as anything but an absurd mentally ill liberal quack..?

Not likely....

:wah::wah:
spot

Post by spot »

In the Blue corner, ladies and gentlemen, we have Snidely Whiplash, five foot two, 96 pounds, ten previous engagements, no wins so far, and in the Red corner the Nobel Peace Prize committee, considerable weight and an internationally recognised track record.

"for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change", that's what they wrote.

Snidely, why do you bother? Who is the dilute acid drip meant to amuse? Trying to criticize a message by mocking anyone who presents it is self-defeating, people just watch and cringe.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snidely Whiplash

spot;847426 wrote: Snidely, why do you bother? Who is the dilute acid drip meant to amuse? Trying to criticize a message by mocking anyone who presents it is self-defeating, people just watch and cringe.

I don't know why I bother either sometimes, you make a good point...??? :wah:

I didn't critsize the sincerity of this msg nor the author of the topic which I respect completely, I CRITISIZED AND MOCKED AND INSULTED AND MADE FUN OF AND TREATED LIKE A JOKE AND AN ABSURDITY the substance and msg of the topic, which is Al Gore and his pack of lies which is meant to decieve YOU, who I care about and get frustrated that HE INDEED is acomplishing his mission, which I have the right to comment on, since that is the topic here I am replying to..? unless the staff here feels otherwise... :wah:

You use your sense of humor, sarcasm and satire in replying to me, while saying I can't use those same things in my reply....

I know who Al Gore is, and have done much research into this issue over time... I know my facts, and I know what is going on within this "green" movement, something many do not.... It irritates me, angers me, and frustrates me to no end, and that may come out in my posts, so sorry to add raw emotion to these topics.... If you don't like my frustration of anger towards Al Gore and the Environmental's, then speak on the issue, but leave me alone... I'm not mocking anyone here, except Al Gore for pulling the wool over some of your eyes, and for that I am sad, and my heart goes out to you, while at the same time it angers me, but for all of our sakes.... I need to go break a dish now....!! ARG...........

Have a nice weekend.... :)

This is a tough crowd here....? *sighs* :-2
spot

Post by spot »

Snidely Whiplash;847682 wrote: I know my facts, and I know what is going on within this "green" movement, something many do not....Oh what silly-billies they all are on the Nobel Peace Prize committee then, to be sure! Let's all write and tell them Snidely Whiplash outed their ineptitude and demonstrated beyond doubt that they possess neither intelligence nor credentials. Perhaps they'll resign in shame?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Snidely, I knew what you were saying and I happen to agree with you. When I had posted this topic, I did it kind of tongue-in-cheek because it was from Gore. I mean, this stuff coming from him is a laugh and for the record I was absolutely sickened that those dolts gave him the Nobel. I am thinking Gore must be more popular outside the US, because so many of us see him for what he is:the pot calling the kettle black. No worries, Spot may not have understood you but I did. ;)
Snidely Whiplash

spot;847687 wrote: Oh what silly-billies they all are on the Nobel Peace Prize committee then, to be sure! Let's all write and tell them Snidely Whiplash outed their ineptitude and demonstrated beyond doubt that they possess neither intelligence nor credentials. Perhaps they'll resign in shame?

:wah: You're a funny bunny...!! :) Do you still have bunny feet on your jammies, I really loved mine..? :)

Did the anti-semite Jimmy Carter who was recently hugging Hamas leaders and stating on record that his trip to palestine was "the most fun trip of his life" while Hamas was shooting missles into Israel daily deserve a nobel peace prize..?

Did KOFI ANNAN deserve a nobel peace price while he was accused and convicted of his corruption that lead to his resignation from the UN..?

Did YASSER ARAFAT, the "father of Terrorism" deserve a nobel peace prize..?

Do you need more reasons why not to take the Nobel Peace prize idea seriously or credibly....? Please reply your facts and data on why the Nobel Peace prize is relevent to anything, or an acurate indicator of anything..?????? But do it in another topic, this one is taken by Al Gore's tips.... :-2

But back to topic.... Al Gore does have cool private jets, and to be fair to the enviromental's, he did show up at a couple of events lately in shaufer driven hybrid SUV's, so maybe he ain't such a bad apple afterall.....???

I hear he has a hat with a windmill on top that powers his I-pod.... How cool is that...!!! :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

Snidely Whiplash;847717 wrote: I hear he has a hat with a windmill on top that powers his I-pod.... How cool is that...!!! :wah:It sounds like a lie to me.

You missed out Mohamed El Baradei, he'd be so disappointed. The thing is (there's a small joke in "thing", there) the Nobel peace Committee's appointed by the Norwegian Parliament and they're all Commies to a man.

Yasser Arafat's prize was shared, you know. The other two that year were Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin following Elie Wiesel's lead. The year before was Nelson Mandela following Desmond Tutu's lead. There's been quite a spread of winners.

I have no fixed opinion about Global Warming, I know far too little about it. I get upset about pollution. If your Al Gore can claw back some of the filth that commerce is planning to pump into the environment then he's on my side. I also detest the waste of hydrocarbon as mere fuel when it's one of the most valuable raw materials the planet's ever created.

Presumably you're certain the Arctic Ice Cap isn't going to completely disappear any time soon? That would upset me too.

Post by 911 »

I have to agree with Snidley. It's sort of like a pedophile lecturing on child abuse and then going home to his basement full of children. The message is good but the person is a total snot case.

Don' t you think Gore could have had a teleconference and had his prize mailed to him rather than take a jet to the islands to pick it up? (After all, he invented the internet :wah:)

As far as farmers markets. . . .good idea on the whole but once I was there I bought some plums. Got home and went to wash them and found a California sticker on them! :-5 Maybe it was a fluke and it hasn't stopped me from going back, I'm just more careful of what I buy. Some of the higher priced items make my brows go up and a check will show they are imported.

The best way to warm and cool your house is trees. Lots and lots of trees. My house has cedar, china berry, weed trees, popcorn trees and pecan trees around the house for shade. As well as azaleas and hedges. My gasoline bill is higher than my power bill at any time. My thermostat is always on 72.:-6
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

:yh_youkid Popcorn doesn't grow on trees.
spot

Post by spot »

911;847758 wrote: (After all, he invented the internet :wah:)That's not particularly funny either. It's an indication of how rattled he's got so many people that they have to descend to this sort of folly. Why do it? Why not discuss his statements instead? What I find unpalatable about Snidely is his shoddy tone, as though his mockery is sufficient to prove a lack of worth in someone's facts, and you're doing much the same.

As a comparison, I find it difficult to respect anyone makes blanket rubbishing throwaway comments like "XP is junk" or "vista is junk" or "AMD is junk" or "Dells are junk" and what's being flung around about Al Gore is no different in quality to that. If anything, what's being flung around about Al Gore is rather worse, it's more in the category of what some people say in abuse of Bill Gates.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Spot, it's not nice to criticize someone for a tone you read into their written word; it's not even smart. Had Snidely been rude at all that may have warranted such a retort but Snidely was giving opinion. Which is what makes this place go around. I can't tell you how many times I've mistaken your tone as well and still do from time to time. If I judged you solely on that, it would not be good or a smart thing to do. And I know for fact you have taken me the same way on occasion.

Fact is, Al Gore is "ours" and we are free to criticize him and many of us do because he hasn't put his money where his mouth is.

Can we continue to discuss this without the unnecessary bits? Thanks. :-6
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;847779 wrote: Had Snidely been rude at all that may have warranted such a retort but Snidely was giving opinion.

Talk about blinkered vision...

Here, this is a small sample from his posts.absurd mentally ill liberal quack..

anti-semite Jimmy Carter

Is that too *@#^ing much to ask as a newbie

You're like a bunch of hungry vultures

Obama is a looser

Are you a stalker, or do you wanna get cozzy with me...???

I'm married... And hetro..... So sorry to disapoint you......Why else do you think so many people are annoyed with him?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

spot;847796 wrote: Talk about blinkered vision...

anti-semite Jimmy Carter

Obama is a looser

I'm married... And hetro..... So sorry to disapoint you......Why else do you think so many people are annoyed with him?

Don't know that anyone is. I'm certainly not. But I am getting annoyed with this constant nitpicking at members. And that I know other people are too. Snidely's not insulting anyone here, let it go, Spot....no harm is being done here. Just a personality clash. No big deal.
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;847805 wrote: Don't know that anyone is. I'm certainly not. But I am getting annoyed with this constant nitpicking at members. And that I know other people are too. Snidely's not insulting anyone here, let it go, Spot....no harm is being done here. Just a personality clash. No big deal.

How can you look at those quotes and say "Snidely's not insulting anyone here"? It's like listening to Orwellian Newspeak.

Post by 911 »

spot;847767 wrote: That's not particularly funny either. It's an indication of how rattled he's got so many people that they have to descend to this sort of folly. Why do it? Why not discuss his statements instead? What I find unpalatable about Snidely is his shoddy tone, as though his mockery is sufficient to prove a lack of worth in someone's facts, and you're doing much the same.

As a comparison, I find it difficult to respect anyone makes blanket rubbishing throwaway comments like "XP is junk" or "vista is junk" or "AMD is junk" or "Dells are junk" and what's being flung around about Al Gore is no different in quality to that. If anything, what's being flung around about Al Gore is rather worse, it's more in the category of what some people say in abuse of Bill Gates.

Oh, come on,Spot. It is so funny! :p

And I don't even know Snidley. This is the first post I have seen from him. Or at least that I remember.

I did discuss his actions. He, and others, act like this is something new, saving the earth. Maybe for the younguns it is but not for those who know better.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
watermark

Post by watermark »

Hey there, I've done most what you posted about, RedGlitter. Here's something to consider. I work on recycling most everything I can around the house. Stick it out on the curb to be picked up once per week along with the landfill garbage but I'm never sure my recycled stuff gets recycled. I read once where much of it ends up in the landfill anyway because there's not a facility adept enough to handle the recycling jobs.

Our neighbors on one side of us can't recycle for some reason. They are much younger than me and I just expect younger folks to know better, but their small family of three, two adults and a 5 year old, produce two garbage cans of trash per week. They must have paid the city to have an extra garbage can! Incredible huh?

About Al Gore, never heard the stories about him being such a hypocrite. Makes me sad to hear this. Though now I'm understanding what ad hominem means in context. Makes more sense to me now.

have good day!
tniou2

Post by tniou2 »

Al Gore is the biggest joke of all..........he tells working folks to cut back and his light bill alone would bankrupt me........don't buy into B.S. he wants to make himself the world savior at the expense of silly people........the rich will use any vehicle to drive themselves to the top.....wake up!!!!!!! I read this crap and I'm still amazed at how we can be so intelligent and so dumb at the same time.
tniou2

Post by tniou2 »

and for the hillbilly comment I say this.........I'm a hillbilly....and I'm not ignorant.....or stupid....hillbillies actually care for this planet....we just don't buy into the b.s. shoved at us by those who are supposed to be so much smarter than us

Post by 911 »

tniou2;847913 wrote: and for the hillbilly comment I say this.........I'm a hillbilly....and I'm not ignorant.....or stupid....hillbillies actually care for this planet....we just don't buy into the b.s. shoved at us by those who are supposed to be so much smarter than us

OK, hold up.

Was that comment meant for me?

That is my signature not a comment on this topic. Don't take it personally, it's a joke. I'm from the south and am allowed to make that joke cuz I haven't figured out which one I am yet. :wah: Somewhere in between, I think.

Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum!

Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

911;847890 wrote: Oh, come on,Spot. It is so funny! :pThe thing is, you see, I don't agree with you. I don't think it's funny at all. I think I have good reason to find it unamusing. I actually think there's two classes of politician, some go into it for profit and some for public service. I don't regard Al Gore as a profiteer. Why pretend he claimed something he never claimed? I just don't see the humour in belittling someone who put in that much effort. He's earned respect. Just because he scares these mockers doesn't make the mockers right.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Okay let's get this under the bridge so we can move on...

Here's what he said, take it as you will:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/g/goreinternet.htm

and from Spot's beloved Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Hopefully that takes care of that.
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;847919 wrote: Hopefully that takes care of that.And? What was the message in the post? What did it take care of?
Snidely Whiplash

spot;847796 wrote: Talk about blinkered vision...

anti-semite Jimmy Carter

Obama is a looser

This is soooooooo cool....!!! :wah:

I'm like famous.......!!!! :) It's almost like when the media starts playing those selected sound bites of jeremiah wright from his sermons, trying to discredit poor old Obamamama...... I have my own people here like my friend Spot saving snippets from my posts and sharing them again with the community at chosen opertune times... I feel completely homey here now... Thank you everyone...! :D

Thanks Spot, everything you posted is true, and when read in context, is perfectly acceptible and just for me to have posted... If you or others don't like me or my views.... TOUGH BEANS...!! :wah:

Thanks for some wonderful comments above, there are some really nice, smart people here, and it's been really nice meeting some of you....

Take care, and hope you're weekend's are great...!!

:)
spot

Post by spot »

Saving snippets? You're kidding. It's a link labelled "show posts". Why would anyone save snippets?
Snidely Whiplash

spot;847931 wrote: Saving snippets? You're kidding. It's a link labelled "show posts". Why would anyone save snippets?

I'll pray for you from now on, you're really an unhappy person.... I hope you feel better soon... :-3
spot

Post by spot »

It's like having our very own Ann Coulter on site. Just the thing we needed. How nice.
Snidely Whiplash

RedGlitter;847805 wrote: But I am getting annoyed with this constant nitpicking at members. And that I know other people are too. Snidely's not insulting anyone here, let it go, Spot....no harm is being done here. Just a personality clash. No big deal.

It doesn't bother me really...? It's actually kind of a badge of honor being hated by a small group here, it's just like in real life, when you take a stand against what some believe, especially in this day and age of political correctness and so called tollorance... It just confirms that I'm on the right track, and speaking the truth about things in this world... :)

And Spot, just curious...? What would you do if the real Ann Coulter did join this forum and tried to post her views and make friends here..? Would you do this to her just because you don't agree with things she has said..? Because I say I'll pray for you, it doesn't make me a rightwing nutjob like Ann Coulter is in my view..... Maybe I'm really a licensed Minister...??? And maybe my prayers will help you... And if I get nothing more from this forum than that satisfaction, then it will have been my time very well spent....

Take care...
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

:wah: I think you're okay Snidely. By the way, we seem to share that badge. ;) You have a great weekend too!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

My opinion:

Snidely overreacted when gmc misunderstood his nickname. gmc doesn't watch cartoons much, I guess.

Since, spot's overreacted to Snidely's overreaction. He has delicate sensibilities, y'know.

The two have been locked in a death spiral of overreaction ever since.

Red can't resist taking up for the underdog. That's why she runs an animal rescue center.

Al Gore invented the camcorder to save on plastic so he could save the planet ... and record his accomplishment.
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

RedGlitter;847949 wrote: :wah: I think you're okay Snidely. By the way, we seem to share that badge. ;) You have a great weekend too!

Hey who's giving out badges? I WANT ONE!!!! See! Pheasy gets overlooked again when the gifts were being given out! :-5 This is favoritism, and I think it's unfair ... unfair I tell you!! :D:D
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Pheasy;848105 wrote: Hey who's giving out badges? I WANT ONE!!!! See! Pheasy gets overlooked again when the gifts were being given out! :-5 This is favoritism, and I think it's unfair ... unfair I tell you!! :D:D
Read it again. There's only one badge, and now Red has to share it with the newby. :D
spot

Post by spot »

I think I mentioned somewhere that I read Ann Coulter's newsletters, it's not as though I'm unfamiliar with her techniques. I loathe people who lie and call their lies comedy as a justification, she's as amusing as typhoid.

There's a major divide which has taken the place of discussion which is sad because I quite enjoy discussing things. It's between those who insist that they will overconsume regardless of the effect on others and those who are sickened by overconsumption and wouldn't even if it had no effect on anyone else. I can't think of many areas of ForumGarden that haven't been split in two by this. Secondly, opinion has no value whatever any longer here because there's no exchange of evidentially based reason to support the opinion. If an opinion's held but a person won't take the trouble to explain why it's held and what demonstrates that it's reasonably based on fact then it's not, in my opinion, opinion, it's simple bias. Bias is bad.

I'm more than happy to discuss things. I like discussing things. I can't think of any opinion I held which hasn't been significantly altered since I started posting here, many of them overturned entirely. None of that change of mind has had anything to do with absorbing bias. Bias is just fluff to wade through and curse at for the timewasting it involves.

A final point - the other major frustration, the pretended dialogue in which one party hasn't bothered to address previous content but just posted blithely in a dissociated way, especially when the dissociated posting involves copied text. That's not dialogue, that's timewasting too.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I've read enough of Ann Coulter that I don't feel I need to be subjected to her newsletters. That's timewasting as well. :cool:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Accountable;848099 wrote: My opinion:

Snidely overreacted when gmc misunderstood his nickname. gmc doesn't watch cartoons much, I guess.

Since, spot's overreacted to Snidely's overreaction. He has delicate sensibilities, y'know.

The two have been locked in a death spiral of overreaction ever since.

Red can't resist taking up for the underdog. That's why she runs an animal rescue center.

Al Gore invented the camcorder to save on plastic so he could save the planet ... and record his accomplishment.

Acc, you pegged me! How'd you do that? ;) I feel so...transparent.

spot;848125 wrote: I think I mentioned somewhere that I read Ann Coulter's newsletters, it's not as though I'm unfamiliar with her techniques. I loathe people who lie and call their lies comedy as a justification, she's as amusing as typhoid.

Ok, *that* made me laugh! Good one! :wah: :-6And here we agree!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

RedGlitter;848230 wrote: Acc, you pegged me! How'd you do that? ;) I feel so...transparent.
Because you are transparent! It's your most endearing quality.

To others to whom it might not occur: transparent does not mean shallow.

spot

Post by spot »

Accountable;848238 wrote: To others to whom it might not occur: transparent does not mean shallow.Surely that's the bottom you can see? I could wade in that and not wet my knickers.

Actually I thought that once completely mistakenly and came a right cropper, I stepped over the side of a dinghy into what must have been 12 feet of sea water thinking it was 3. The dinghy was embarrassingly retrieved for me by a squad of marines who'd disbelievingly watched the entire thing from the beach. It might be the stuff of dreams for Pheasy but I had flashbacks for years.
Bored_Wombat

Post by Bored_Wombat »

spot;848125 wrote: I'm more than happy to discuss things. I like discussing things. I can't think of any opinion I held which hasn't been significantly altered since I started posting here, many of them overturned entirely. None of that change of mind has had anything to do with absorbing bias. Bias is just fluff to wade through and curse at for the timewasting it involves.

A final point - the other major frustration, the pretended dialogue in which one party hasn't bothered to address previous content but just posted blithely in a dissociated way, especially when the dissociated posting involves copied text. That's not dialogue, that's timewasting too.

I'm here intermittently, but I enjoy your intelligent discourse, when I'm here.

And I agree that it's a pity when people come to break up a dialogue rather than contribute to it.

But the internet is full of such people. If you don't respond to them, they usually find someone else to annoy after a few weeks.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Accountable;848238 wrote: Because you are transparent! It's your most endearing quality.

To others to whom it might not occur: transparent does not mean shallow.

:-6
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

spot;848261 wrote: Surely that's the bottom you can see? I could wade in that and not wet my knickers.

Actually I thought that once completely mistakenly and came a right cropper, I stepped over the side of a dinghy into what must have been 12 feet of sea water thinking it was 3. The dinghy was embarrassingly retrieved for me by a squad of marines who'd disbelievingly watched the entire thing from the beach. It might be the stuff of dreams for Pheasy but I had flashbacks for years.

:thinking::thinking::o
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snidely Whiplash;847682 wrote: I don't know why I bother either sometimes, you make a good point...??? :wah:

I didn't critsize the sincerity of this msg nor the author of the topic which I respect completely, I CRITISIZED AND MOCKED AND INSULTED AND MADE FUN OF AND TREATED LIKE A JOKE AND AN ABSURDITY the substance and msg of the topic, which is Al Gore and his pack of lies which is meant to decieve YOU, who I care about and get frustrated that HE INDEED is acomplishing his mission, which I have the right to comment on, since that is the topic here I am replying to..? unless the staff here feels otherwise... :wah:

You use your sense of humor, sarcasm and satire in replying to me, while saying I can't use those same things in my reply....

I know who Al Gore is, and have done much research into this issue over time... I know my facts, and I know what is going on within this "green" movement, something many do not.... It irritates me, angers me, and frustrates me to no end, and that may come out in my posts, so sorry to add raw emotion to these topics.... If you don't like my frustration of anger towards Al Gore and the Environmental's, then speak on the issue, but leave me alone... I'm not mocking anyone here, except Al Gore for pulling the wool over some of your eyes, and for that I am sad, and my heart goes out to you, while at the same time it angers me, but for all of our sakes.... I need to go break a dish now....!! ARG...........

Have a nice weekend.... :)

This is a tough crowd here....? *sighs* :-2

If, out of interest, say, for example, Hitler and Stalin were standing at the side of the road and warned you that a bloody great truck was about to run you over, would you refuse to jump out of the way because of who they were?

The quality or otherwise of the messenger does not define the quality of the message.

Judge the merits of the global warming debate on the science - not by taking the p!ss out of one of the people trying to put the message across.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Bryn, I see your point but there's something to be said for integrity and sincerity, that of which a lot of us feel Gore lacks. Besides, while he's living in that electricity usurping mansion, changing all his special lightbulbs, I can't take the guy seriously.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”