Office Christmas Gift Exchanges

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Ok, I will be blunt here. I hate these things like the Plague. I've never worked anywhere where I really liked all my co-workers for starters. Also, I don't like having the ho-ho "spirit of giving" forced on me by and for people I don't care for. I also hate the fact that it means I have to spend more money for a gift I don't feel like giving to start with and money's always at a premium for me at Cmas anyway. I'd rather spend it on my friends and family.

SO....how do you feel about office gift exchanges??
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Office with 13 employees, Just one bloke, I like them all....We have a bloody great laff.

We do a secret santa.....Place 13 names in a paper cup and each pick out a name then you buy for that person. We all have a stocking on a card with our name on that acts as a wish list and we all spend a tenner. We place them in a sack and our boss hands them out on our nibbles day which is Tuesday 18th dec this year. We all bake and take non alcoholic drinks and play games.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I've always enjoyed it...I used to give really nice stuff, even though I really couldn't afford it, I've learned through the years to just buy a dollar gift like everyone else!!:wah::wah:

I'm thankful for the present office I work in, we don't feel pressured to buy each other gifts, we all just have a nice friendship. :-4:-4
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Chezzie;734876 wrote: Office with 13 employees, Just one bloke, I like them all....We have a bloody great laff.

We do a secret santa.....Place 13 names in a paper cup and each pick out a name then you buy for that person. We all have a stocking on a card with our name on that acts as a wish list and we all spend a tenner. We place them in a sack and our boss hands them out on our nibbles day which is Tuesday 18th dec this year. We all bake and take non alcoholic drinks and play games.

We did that at my last office...was a lot of fun, plus the bosses took us out to a big luncheon and gave prezzies to us on top of a bonus check which was the amount of a paycheck, so needless to say...I miss that employer!!:-4
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

The last time I worked in an office with large group, we had secret pals, so we didn't draw names for Christmas. That was when we would reveal who our secret pals were and draw the new names for the next year.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

We usually have a Christmas party in the office and everyone brings a covered dish or dessert. We all chip in to get our boss a gift and he will give each of us a gift. This year, I have bought little gifts for the other ladies in the office on my own..something different that each would like. They don't expect this and I hope they will be pleased. We don't draw names. I like to do surprises.:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I've always hated the gift exchange at work..

Hate it - I find it to be a phony day - lets pretend we're happy Fa-La-La

Patsy
along-for-the-ride

Patsy Warnick;734913 wrote: I've always hated the gift exchange at work..

Hate it - I find it to be a phony day - lets pretend we're happy Fa-La-La

Patsy

This is the way I feel at the Christmas gathering with my in-laws. Sad, but true.
abbey

Post by abbey »

I like the idea of a secret Santa.

Girl buys for girl, boy buys for boy and have a £5.00 limit.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oh, smile - pretend - your along-for-the-ride anyway..:wah:

It seems you just have go thru a numbing visit - go thru the motions

I hate that.

Patsy
along-for-the-ride

Patsy Warnick;734928 wrote: Oh, smile - pretend - your along-for-the-ride anyway..:wah:

It seems you just have go thru a numbing visit - go thru the motions

I hate that.

Patsy

I only go because my husband's mama is there. I do care about her...but the rest...not so much. And yes, I do know how to "go thru the motions".:)
minks

Post by minks »

RedGlitter;734872 wrote: Ok, I will be blunt here. I hate these things like the Plague. I've never worked anywhere where I really liked all my co-workers for starters. Also, I don't like having the ho-ho "spirit of giving" forced on me by and for people I don't care for. I also hate the fact that it means I have to spend more money for a gift I don't feel like giving to start with and money's always at a premium for me at Cmas anyway. I'd rather spend it on my friends and family.

SO....how do you feel about office gift exchanges??

glad I do no have to do that, and would suggest maybe a $15 gift card to macdonalds for your fun loving mystery receiver :wah:

I think they are cheezy. The gift giving game thing that is.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

I work in an extremely small office. There are three other females there and one is my boss. The other two work for another lawyer. There is a gal there who is a JW (and of course) she does not celebrate. So I only buy my boss and the other two girls something. I spent about $25 on each of them, plus a mag subscription for my boss which I renew every year. I don't mind this so much, but it does feel obligatory to me.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

The gift exchange for us at school is $5, I better go down to the dollar store to go shopping this weekend......

Return to “Holidays”