Speed vans or cameras??

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
southern yankee

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by southern yankee »

in Lafayette, La. there are vans who take your picture(Front of auto back of auto and you) if you are speeding or going through Red light. Also a lot of the stop light intersections have cameras. Does any other city have this?? Or what do you think of the BIG BROTHER IDEA??
Patsy Warnick

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We have alot of cameras on our Freeways

cameras everywhere

if one was to look closely - you'll find cameras hidden everywhere

telephone pole - personal business/company's, street lights, walk signals

freeways

alot debates about the camera's on the freeways

in someways the cameras could be beneficial.

Patsy
abbey

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by abbey »

We have them in the UK, I've never been flashed at yet. :D
Kathy Ellen

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Good question Southern Yankee.........

I'm not happy about Big Brother watching me all the time. On the other hand, I'm not happy about angry drivers who tail gate and try to run you off the road. There are so many times when I won't stop to let a person walk across the road because I know the driver behind me will crash into me. Unfortunately, I think cameras are needed in certain areas:(
Odie

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by Odie »

We have had camea's here for several years, I actuallly got caught by a camera on the highway for speeding 10KM over..............but of course never knew it until it came in the mail.

They are also at many dangerous intersections, here, its a help, there are speeders everywhere and people going thru red lights!
Life is just to short for drama.
southern yankee

Speed vans or cameras??

weird rules here. if it is speed van. this does not go your record if you do not pay, but it will go against your credit rating. i drive like maw-maw. but i have gotten a ticket from a motor cycle cop. for going through a reddish/ yellow light.:wah:
Richard Bell

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by Richard Bell »

southern yankee;986833 wrote: in Lafayette, La. there are vans who take your picture(Front of auto back of auto and you) if you are speeding or going through Red light. Also a lot of the stop light intersections have cameras. Does any other city have this?? Or what do you think of the BIG BROTHER IDEA??

How are traffic cameras any more Big Brotherish than the security cameras in any retail store, from the biggest big box store to the smallest corner store?

What about the cameras in banks, offices, factories, government buildings, ATMs, etc. ?

It's a fact of life in the modern world.

I think they do far more good than harm.
sleepingbeauty

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by sleepingbeauty »

yeah im in LA there everywhere never heard about the vans though
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Kathy Ellen;986838 wrote: Good question Southern Yankee.........

I'm not happy about Big Brother watching me all the time. On the other hand, I'm not happy about angry drivers who tail gate and try to run you off the road. There are so many times when I won't stop to let a person walk across the road because I know the driver behind me will crash into me. Unfortunately, I think cameras are needed in certain areas:(

The cameras do nothing for bad driving like tailgating, undertaking, DUI etc - they are only triggered by speed or by motion after the light's turned red depending on type.

Unfortunately, what has happened in much of the UK is that the police now rely on the cameras (because they get the revenue from them) and have withdrawn the dedicated traffic patrols - the standard of driving has fallen and the accident rate and rate of drink driving has increased as a direct result.
gmc

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;986954 wrote: The cameras do nothing for bad driving like tailgating, undertaking, DUI etc - they are only triggered by speed or by motion after the light's turned red depending on type.

Unfortunately, what has happened in much of the UK is that the police now rely on the cameras (because they get the revenue from them) and have withdrawn the dedicated traffic patrols - the standard of driving has fallen and the accident rate and rate of drink driving has increased as a direct result.

Agree with you there, I would like to see more traffic cars pulling people over for tailgating and the like

posted by jimbo

another thing that ticks me off is undertaking its dangerous

Yes, and the temptation to ram the Bastards when they cut in front of you:mad:Then again I feel the same way about people sitting in the outside lane when they should pull in:mad:it's enough to make you want to call your anger management consultant on the mobile.:-3
abbey

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by abbey »

Bryn Mawr;986954 wrote: The cameras do nothing for bad driving like tailgating, undertaking, DUI etc - they are only triggered by speed or by motion after the light's turned red depending on type.

Unfortunately, what has happened in much of the UK is that the police now rely on the cameras (because they get the revenue from them) and have withdrawn the dedicated traffic patrols - the standard of driving has fallen and the accident rate and rate of drink driving has increased as a direct result.I have to agree on the revenue side of it, have you noticed camera's are always present when you have just come off a motorway when your brain is in speed mode?

In the Borough where I live, a camera van parks and sits with a camera, the local paper always tells its readers the dates and times, I wonder, do the police have an obligation to let the public know their intentions?
Victoria

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by Victoria »

Jumping red lights and speeding motorists account for a great number of road accidents and deaths every year people who do these thing deserve a fine if not more.

Driving a car is a privilege not a god given right and the sooner we remember that the better.

Drunk drivers are scum bags who basically are saying your life is worth less than the price of a drink. Same goes for disqualified or uninsured drivers.

As for company vans who overtake on the inside and behave like loons I take the name, number too ( if I am or have a passenger) and either phone or email the company when I get home telling them what Ive seen, explain I could have been a customer but if they employ trained monkeys then no-thanks and include the fact that I will be forwarding my complaint to head office/ local police ect.

No idea if it works they probably just think I'm a lunatic but if it helps just once its worth it.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Speed vans or cameras??

Post by Bryn Mawr »

abbey;986964 wrote: I have to agree on the revenue side of it, have you noticed camera's are always present when you have just come off a motorway when your brain is in speed mode?

In the Borough where I live, a camera van parks and sits with a camera, the local paper always tells its readers the dates and times, I wonder, do the police have an obligation to let the public know their intentions?

I believe they do - they have many obligations regarding the siting of the cameras as well but regularly ignore them.
southern yankee

Speed vans or cameras??

with speed vans. it's a brother in-law thing. the owner of the speed vans is related to the parish pres. so you know DUBLE DIPPING

Return to “General Chit Chat”