A Really bad job situation

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
nok

Post by nok »

Today was a really bad day for me. I had to do a very, very difficult thing ( for me, anyway) : I quit one of the two jobs that I'm working at right now.

I've been there for quite a while, gave it everything I had and than some more, sacrificed my free time and vacations in order to substitute for the other teachers that couldn't show up, did extra tasks in order to help out the boss ( such as making tests for classes that other teachers were teaching but didn't have time to make their own tests, going downstairs and asking the staff for extra copies of sheets even though it's the students' job to ask for additional sheets, etc.) so you can imagine how difficult it was for me to tell the school this morning that I'm quitting. Anyway, I did it and now it's finished. I know I did the right thing but I still feel quite sad because I'm kind of attached to the place and the people there: that happens to me when I work at a place for kind of a long time. It just kind of grows on me and becomes a part of me.

I think the receptionist who took my call this morning was a bit surprised. After I told her I wasn't coming in to work anymore, she said, " What did you say ? " kind of like she didn't hear right so I repeated the same statement to her again.

I know I've done the right thing by quitting because I haven't gotten my salary there for like 5 months now ( yes..... you heard me right. Five months.). The boss said that the school wasn't doing well and they didn't have any money to pay the teachers and that this was just a temporary problem that would last only 1-2 months. So, I stayed for 2 months, working there without any salary. The third month, the boss said that the economic crises was taking its toll on the school, the fourth month, he said next month everybody will get paid for sure and the fifth month ( which is this month), he avoided mentioning anything about money except to say that the school was reducing its tution fees so that all the teachers would get their salaries but so far, nothing. I thought, well, it's been 5 months already so enough is enough. The work load at school is very heavy, I have to do a lot of lesson preparations, I spend several hours at the school, I have about a hundred students, I have to conduct 4+ classes weekly, teach everyday, etc. so, enough is enough. It's time to say bye-bye to this crappy school and stop wasting time doing so much work and not getting paid for it. To make matters worse, the boss keeps piling me up with more classes and more work ( as if I'm not doing enough work for him already ! ) . It's almost as if he's forgotten that I haven't been paid for 5 months now. I have pretty much lost a lot of respect for him as it is.

I know I did the right thing so why do I feel so sad ? Why is it everytime I stand up for myself and do the right thing, I always feel so sad ?

Since I quit, nobody at the school has called me up to say goodbye or to wish me well so that makes me even sadder. It's like everything that I did and everything that I sacrificed for the school is meaningless to them. The boss hasn't even called me to apologize for lack of payments.
Happiness is not a destiny. It is a daily goal. :)
Odie

Post by Odie »

nok;1085988 wrote: .

I know I've done the right thing by quitting because I haven't gotten my salary there for like 5 months now ( yes..... you heard me right. Five months.). The boss said that the school wasn't doing well and they didn't have any money to pay the teachers and that this was just a temporary problem that would last only 1-2 months. So, I stayed for 2 months, working there without any salary. The third month, the boss said that the economic crises was taking its toll on the school, the fourth month, he said next month everybody will get paid for sure and the fifth month ( which is this month), he avoided mentioning anything about money except to say that the school was reducing its tution fees so that all the teachers would get their salaries but so far, nothing. I thought, well, it's been 5 months already so enough is enough. The work load at school is very heavy, I have to do a lot of lesson preparations, I spend several hours at the school, I have about a hundred students, I have to conduct 4+ classes weekly, teach everyday, etc. so, enough is enough. It's time to say bye-bye to this crappy school and stop wasting time doing so much work and not getting paid for it. To make matters worse, the boss keeps piling me up with more classes and more work ( as if I'm not doing enough work for him already ! ) . It's almost as if he's forgotten that I haven't been paid for 5 months now. I have pretty much lost a lot of respect for him as it is.

I know I did the right thing so why do I feel so sad ? Why is it everytime I stand up for myself and do the right thing, I always feel so sad ?

Since I quit, nobody at the school has called me up to say goodbye or to wish me well so that makes me even sadder. It's like everything that I did and everything that I sacrificed for the school is meaningless to them. The boss hasn't even called me to apologize for lack of payments.

5 months without no pay......you lasted a lot longer than I would have!

the reason you feel sad is because your a teacher and you love to teach.

reasons for no one phoning you, they are as busy as you were.

employers don't care about their employees, they are just there to work for them.

so say to yourself, I am so happy and relived I am out of there!:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

To give of yourself at a job for 5 months without pay is heroic to me. I,for one ,admire that. You do seem to enjoy the teaching profession. Your dedication should be appreciated by another school somewhere, I'm sure. I don't even know you, but I will say, "thank you.":) I do hope 2009 is a better year for ya, nok.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
nok

Post by nok »

Odie- Thank you so much for your insights on this situation. I feel that you are right. Thanks again.

Going for the ride- Thank you for replying to my post !
wildhorses

Post by wildhorses »

nok;1087350 wrote: Odie- Thank you so much for your insights on this situation. I feel that you are right. Thanks again.

Going for the ride- Thank you for replying to my post !

I would have lasted about five minutes without pay. Maybe you feel sad because you gave more to the job than the job gave to you....and now no one even bothers to call. They are ungrateful. It is their loss. I have had jobs like that before. They drain your blood and then kick you to the curb when you want something in return. Get another job where they appreciate you...you deserve to be appreciated.
nok

Post by nok »

Maybe you feel sad because you gave more to the job than the job gave to you....

Wildhorses- Yes, that is absolutely true. I've never thought about it like that before and you are absolutely right. Thank you for replying.
coraven

Post by coraven »

I would do some research to see if they can legally not pay you for five months. I'm pretty sure that they have to pay you a salary. You weren't volunteering and you should have been paid. I wonder what you'll find out.
Odie

Post by Odie »

coraven;1212237 wrote: I would do some research to see if they can legally not pay you for five months. I'm pretty sure that they have to pay you a salary. You weren't volunteering and you should have been paid. I wonder what you'll find out.

7 months later?

company's where you are on salary, do not pay overtime wages.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

You need an attorney to recoup your losses.

And yes of course you did the right thing.

You can feel good about yourself for pitching in while suffering a hardship.
I AM AWESOME MAN
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

We need more people in this world like you......dont feel sad you gave all of yourself to this job with no return....best of luck in your future :-6

I cant understand how how they got away without paying you for so long:thinking:
FOC THREAD PART 1
nok

Post by nok »

My Indian friend ( who also didn't get paid ) told me that we should get together and sue this guy because it was the only way we would get our (owed) salaries. He said we needed to demand our rights ( as employees) to receive what we are owed, as we worked several hours and several months for him without getting a single cent from him. He said we wasted our time in that place and by suing him, we can protect other employees from getting ripped off from him now and in the future.

He said that by suing this guy, we can prevent other potential employees from even thinking about cheating their employees because they will know, from this case, that it isn't worth it.

I told him that I was just going to let this go as I didn't want to waste anymore time about this matter and I talked to the other employees already (that also didn't get paid) and they weren't willing to go to court as witnesses to testify against this guy even though they knew he was in the wrong. The lawyer said that we won't have a case if nobody was willing to be witnesses for us. He said, the more witnesses you have, the better.If you don't have witnesses, the case will be very weak and they'll end up letting this guy go.

Thank you to everyone who responded to this post and gave me excellent advice, cheered me on, gave me a pat on the back with your kind words and lent me a listening ear. You guys and girls are awesome and I love all of you !!!! :-4
Odie

Post by Odie »

nok;1213250 wrote: My Indian friend ( who also didn't get paid ) told me that we should get together and sue this guy because it was the only way we would get our (owed) salaries. He said we needed to demand our rights ( as employees) to receive what we are owed, as we worked several hours and several months for him without getting a single cent from him. He said we wasted our time in that place and by suing him, we can protect other employees from getting ripped off from him now and in the future.

He said that by suing this guy, we can prevent other potential employees from even thinking about cheating their employees because they will know, from this case, that it isn't worth it.

I told him that I was just going to let this go as I didn't want to waste anymore time about this matter and I talked to the other employees already (that also didn't get paid) and they weren't willing to go to court as witnesses to testify against this guy even though they knew he was in the wrong. The lawyer said that we won't have a case if nobody was willing to be witnesses for us. He said, the more witnesses you have, the better.If you don't have witnesses, the case will be very weak and they'll end up letting this guy go.

Thank you to everyone who responded to this post and gave me excellent advice, cheered me on, gave me a pat on the back with your kind words and lent me a listening ear. You guys and girls are awesome and I love all of you !!!! :-4

always here for you.:-4
nok

Post by nok »

Thanks Odie ! :) You're awesome !!!!! :D
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

You are a hero.

For teachers like you it is not a job as much as it is a vocation. Well done at lasting 5 months, but also by lasting that long they probably realized that they could push it a bit with you, I am sure there were others in there demanding their pay and threatening to quit unless they got paid. As they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. There was probably no money left for you after they were done paying everyone else.

You did the right thing, and although disappointing you could not continue to work for free.
nok

Post by nok »

Hello Mikeinie,

Thanks for your understanding and kind words. :) They are appreciated. You are right about the whole situation on all counts.

You are especially 100% correct in saying that I stayed on so long that I was the squeaky wheel that got the grease. I certainly was. A few days before I left, the boss "pushed" more classes on my already heavy teaching load. I stammered in shock and said (to him), "But I can't do anymore. This is already too much." He said, I'm not asking if you want to do it or not. I'm telling you to do it." That was the last straw for me. I realized at that moment that the boss was totally walking all over me and totally taking advantage of me way tooooo much (not that he wasn't doing it before ). :(

Yes, you are absolutely correct in saying that there were teachers ( more than just a few, actually) that came in everyday, demanding their pay and threatening to quit if they didn't get it. In the end, they got their salaries allright, with $0 left for me. What the boss said to me on my last day there really hurt, because I sacrificed soooo much of my time there, unpaid. Before I got out the door, he said ," Even if I had the money, I wouldn't pay you. You won't even get a cent from me, ever because that's what you deserve from me-nothing." When he said that, I thought, Ouch !!!!!! That really hurts. After everything I've done for his school ( for free), this is the thanks I get from him. :(

Mikeinie, thanks again for your post and reply to my situation. It feels good to have someone understand what I went through in that school.

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”