Garlic - Nature's Superfood

polycarp

Post by polycarp »

Nature's Superfood - Garlic

by Jon Herring

Garlic has been valued for its flavor - and medicinal qualities - for thousands of years. It:

Reduces the risk of cancer and inhibits the growth of tumors

Supports beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract

Stimulates the immune system and destroys viruses and bacteria

Reduces blood pressure, and lowers cholesterol and triglycerides

Delivers powerful antioxidants.

The active compound in garlic is "allicin." Problem is, allicin is very fragile and is destroyed by cooking. So the best way to get the nutritional benefits of garlic is to crush it or slice it finely and eat it raw with other foods.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
TMC

Post by TMC »

It also keeps vampites away. :)
pink princess

Post by pink princess »

didnt know it was good for digestive reasons

good to know :)

anyone got any recepie ideas for raw garlic? would you just put it in a salad? im not sure ive ever had raw garlic.....
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
polycarp

Post by polycarp »

TMC wrote: It also keeps vampites away. :)
You mean vampires like :yh_ghost or :yh_devil ?
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
pink princess

Post by pink princess »

was watching this morning today and guess what one of the topics was? garlic!!

apparently once you cook it it loses a lot of its properties so you really are meant to have it raw, the woman showed how to make a watercress pesto and put raw garlic in it, did look really nice

only thing is they didnt give specific amounts for the recepie and i cant see anything on the website!

there is a top ten healthy foods there though

http://www.itv.com/page.asp?partid=3203
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

Jika

Post by Jika »

Word to the wise......odourless garlic caspsules, available thru most reputable health food stores. Not so 'pongie' if you know what I mean. Workmates won't be so distant, backing away..... (oh so subtlely) from you the following day! :wah:
pink princess

Post by pink princess »

thats true, hadnt thought of that!! but then do you think they are quite as good as the real mcoy fresh stuff??

i sit on my own at work so i try this out i should be safe!!!

dont ask why i sit on my own though!!! ;)
life is what you make it

Jika

Post by Jika »

pink princess wrote: thats true, hadnt thought of that!! but then do you think they are quite as good as the real mcoy fresh stuff??

i sit on my own at work so i try this out i should be safe!!!

dont ask why i sit on my own though!!! ;)

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you..... capsules are just another option. :)
pink princess

Post by pink princess »

decisions decisions!!!
life is what you make it

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”