Facebook photos without the hijab?

Post by abbey »

Welcome to FG mama. :-6
mama_muslimah

Post by mama_muslimah »

Bryn Mawr;1261134 wrote: mama_muslimah,

Thank you for a thoughtful and heartfelt reply

Just one silly question from one across the pond - what's NOI, it's not a term I'm familiar with.

Nation of Islam. Basically, Malcolm X and the solely-black populated "Muslims" that think white people are the devil. According to them, only blacks can be Muslims.

Edited to add: Not that Wiki is the end all of knowledge, but if you google nation of islam theology and beliefs wiki you should find a basic idea of what NOI people believe. Dont want to add a link until I'm sure if I'm allowed or not.
mama_muslimah

Post by mama_muslimah »

G#Gill;1261127 wrote: Well thank you very much for your very informative post, much appreciated ! :-6

Lol youre welcome.. I found this while googling witty islamic teeshirts. Kinda funny. I honestly joined JUST for this post.. But now I'm gonna stick around.

I'm willing to answer questions to the best of my knowledge without shoving the Qur'an down peoples throats.. Muslims are expected to teach and share but NOT force it upon others :)
mama_muslimah

Post by mama_muslimah »

abbey;1261135 wrote: Welcome to FG mama. :-6

Thank you!!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

mama_muslimah;1261136 wrote: Nation of Islam. Basically, Malcolm X and the solely-black populated "Muslims" that think white people are the devil. According to them, only blacks can be Muslims.

Thank you - know the tern, just never connected it with the acronym.
mama_muslimah

Post by mama_muslimah »

Bryn Mawr;1261139 wrote: Thank you - know the tern, just never connected it with the acronym.

You're welcome. When I had first heard of NOI at a work place, I had NO idea what it was or why they were essentially berating me for discussing my reverting to Islam.. I went home and looked it up and was astonished.. They didnt teach us about Malcolm X in school LOL. To this day I will not get salaams or acknowledgement from a decent majority of "Muslims" I see.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Hi Mama!! And welcome to Forum Garden. I think you are the first muslim woman who has posted here - and it's great to see you. There are lots of muslims in Australia with all kinds of backgrounds, but I don't think I've ever met an African American muslim here. I look forward to getting to know you.

What do you mean, by the way, by 'revert'? Do you mean become more religiously observant?
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

mama_muslimah

Post by mama_muslimah »

AussiePam;1261145 wrote: Hi Mama!! And welcome to Forum Garden. I think you are the first muslim woman who has posted here - and it's great to see you. There are lots of muslims in Australia with all kinds of backgrounds, but I don't think I've ever met an African American muslim here. I look forward to getting to know you.

What do you mean, by the way, by 'revert'? Do you mean become more religiously observant?

Eek, sorry if you got confused and thought I was AA.. I'm paler than a snowstorm. :wah:

Islam believes EVERYONE is born Muslim.. Christian, Jew, Pagan, etc.. they are just put on a different path by parents, religious figures, etc.. So when one decides to switch from Christianity to Islam, as in my case, I was considered a revert.. Going back to my original faith :)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

mama_muslimah;1261147 wrote: Eek, sorry if you got confused and thought I was AA.. I'm paler than a snowstorm. :wah:

Islam believes EVERYONE is born Muslim.. Christian, Jew, Pagan, etc.. they are just put on a different path by parents, religious figures, etc.. So when one decides to switch from Christianity to Islam, as in my case, I was considered a revert.. Going back to my original faith :)

We've had fundamentalist Christian posters express exactly the same sentiment - that everyone is born Christian then put onto a different path by parents etc.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Got it, thanks!!! And I take it AA is not alcoholics anonymous. :sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

mama_muslimah

Post by mama_muslimah »

Bryn Mawr;1261204 wrote: We've had fundamentalist Christian posters express exactly the same sentiment - that everyone is born Christian then put onto a different path by parents etc.

Considering that the God we all pray to is exactly the same, regardless of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, it's not hard to believe that. We just all have different names for Him.

Which is really why I don't understand why extremists think Christianity is so bad.. The Qur'an and everything in Islam teaches us to respect people of the books: Bible, Torah, and Qur'an, because all are HIS words in some form, even if we believe the Bible and Torah are corrupted by people.
mama_muslimah

Post by mama_muslimah »

AussiePam;1261241 wrote: Got it, thanks!!! And I take it AA is not alcoholics anonymous. :sneaky:

:wah::wah::wah::wah::wah: Definitely not!

Return to “Islam”