Tradition!

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
Raven

Tradition!

Post by Raven »

From Fiddler on the Roof, trick or treat, bad egg nog and pumpkin pie, what is your favorites of the holiday tradition?

One of mine is the marathon running of A Christmas Story over the 24th and 25th of December. Along with Christmas Vacation of course.:yh_rotfl
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
hoppy

Tradition!

Post by hoppy »

A christmas story and It's a wonderful life.
minks

Tradition!

Post by minks »

Rudolf narated by Burl Ives
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
farmer giles

Tradition!

Post by farmer giles »

we give each other prezzies ...you guys should try it :wah::wah::rolleyes:
minks

Tradition!

Post by minks »

farmer giles;1255368 wrote: we give each other prezzies ...you guys should try it :wah::wah::rolleyes:

ahahahahaha no way!!!!!!
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Raven

Tradition!

Post by Raven »

I have discovered a love of bad christmas cracker jokes! Almost as bad as the ones on wotsit packages!:rolleyes:
Raven

Tradition!

Post by Raven »

Oh and GORGEOUS MINCE PIES!!:-4
Snowfire

Tradition!

Post by Snowfire »

Yep . Home made mince pies and for some strange reason the only time of the year I eat turkey and brussel sprouts. Why is that ? I love sprouts
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Tradition!

Post by Snowfire »

Awful cracker jokes and stingy cracker presents alway make me smile. Oh and the obligitory wearing of silly paper hats at the dining table
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
qsducks

Tradition!

Post by qsducks »

Starting Nov. 1st, they will be playing Christmas songs on one radio station 24/7...myself I like the Waitresses song about it & the Chipmunks:yh_rotfl
Raven

Tradition!

Post by Raven »

Snowfire;1255404 wrote: Yep . Home made mince pies and for some strange reason the only time of the year I eat turkey and brussel sprouts. Why is that ? I love sprouts
I can live without the sprouts! And what usually follows the consuming of them! But the paper hats are well fun! I forgot to start my pudding in september, so I guess it's store ones. :(
Rapunzel

Tradition!

Post by Rapunzel »

Raven;1255395 wrote: I have discovered a love of bad christmas cracker jokes! Almost as bad as the ones on wotsit packages!:rolleyes:

LOVE 'em! :wah::wah:

Raven;1255398 wrote: Oh and GORGEOUS MINCE PIES!!:-4

LOATHE 'em! :p:p
Rapunzel

Tradition!

Post by Rapunzel »

Snowfire;1255404 wrote: Yep . Home made mince pies and for some strange reason the only time of the year I eat turkey and brussel sprouts. Why is that ? I love sprouts

YUM! I love sprouts too! Not too fussed about Turkey as it's always so very dry. *gag* We actually prefer to have chicken instead. :o:lips::wah:
Raven

Tradition!

Post by Raven »

oooooooo and the mulled wine and here is a drink recipe for y'all!

Warm Captain Morgans Spiced Rum (must be warm!)

apple cider

sprinkle of ciinnamon or stick

oh heck yeah!!
Oscar Namechange

Tradition!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

This thread reminded me:

When my sister was alive, It was family tradition for my brother to dress up as Father Christmas. She had a massive house which is why we all went to hers on Christmas eve. All the children in the whole family would be gathered to meet Father Christmas who would arrive at 9 pm with a huge sack of gifts for the children. Every year, they were in awe how Father Christmas knew all their names and what gift to give each of them. To this day, even now most are grown up, they still don't know that the Father Christmas who rang the doorbell every Christmas Eve calling Ho Ho Ho through the Letter box was their Uncle under the robe, beard and wig.

The last Christmas Eve before my mother died, all tradition went well with all the children gathered waiting for 9 pm and Father Christmas. Only this year, they didn't know that Father Christmas had actually had far too much to drink. The small one's were asking 'Mummy, why can't Santa stand up properly' ?and 'Mummy, why is Santa's beard falling Off'? my Mother who was the Matriarch of the Family was furious with Santa but managed to hold her tongue. It all went really badly wrong as Father Christmas left the house to sounds of 'ho Ho ho, see you next year children' walking backwards up the path waving Goodbye. Only he fell backwards over the Rockery stones and fell down a bloody great hole behind It. 'Mummy, where has Santa gone'? 'Mummy, why is Santa swearing'? 'Mummy, why can't Santa get up'? My mother marched over to where he lay in the hole and ripped into him like a demon possessed. 'Mummy, why is Grandma saying she's going to kill Santa'?

I actually have this full farce on video. I have no idea how to get It on to You Tube but every year my bro and I wet ourselves watching it, we keep promising we must do that.

Very sadly, when my Sister died of Breast cancer, the tradition ended.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
mrsK

Tradition!

Post by mrsK »

Christmas lights

Lots of them,they will start going up i n the middle of November.

Once they are all up the grand turning on of the lights.

Sitiing in the garden with the kids,watching the lights & having a beer & bbq.

It can be 40.c+ but good old Santa is in his red suit sweltering on top of the roof.

Love it:-4 Main thing is the kids love it:-4
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Raven

Tradition!

Post by Raven »

Kids? LOL! We do it for ourselves! We get the tree up at Thansgiving every year for the past 6 years now. You see they dont celebrate Thanksgiving in England. (I protest!) But being american, I still celebrate it. So I have to take the day off and so does my husband. So while we cook turkey and stuffing, we watch thanksgivingy movies like New World, and The Last of the Mohicans, and put the Christmas decorations up. We end the day with a Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out!)

We have had to do this you see, because that is usually the time the BIG box from the States arrives. (mom sending all the prezzies) Gotta have the tree up to put all the prezzies under! :yh_bigsmi
kazalala

Tradition!

Post by kazalala »

I was the one family came to on christmas eve,, i used to do a buffet tea and have a few drinks handy for the adults;)It was a bit manic with people coming and going and all over in a few hours ,, from about 5pm till around 8pm ,,, but loved it! Now as families grow and children leave the nest, traditions change,, and hopefully new ones will begin:D I know one i will look forward to now every year is since i got my dog,, walking her on christmas morning and getting to peek in on other peoples christmas through their windows,, people opening pressies,,, setting the table ready for Lunch later,, making brekkie,, all the christmas lights twinkling out of their houses as you walk past:D,, Then coming back to a lovely big breakfast cooked by hubby:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Holidays”