Off to Barbados

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Lon

Off to Barbados

Post by Lon »

Wife and I leave on December 5th, 2009 for Barbados where we will board the "Windsurf" and visit St. Kitts, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Nevis over a 10 day period. This will be our second time to Barbados and the fourth time we have sailed on one of the ships of the "Windstar" fleet with the "Windsurf" being the largest ship in the fleet, taking 300 passengers. This is small by cruise ship standards, but we enjoy the intimacy and ambiance of the smaller ships. It's almost like having your own yacht. Despite the electronically controlled sails that give the "Windsurf" the appearance of a old sailing vessel, the wi fi and flat screen TV's in their suites, and the modern decor of it's furnishings belie that. The stern of the Windstar ships have a complete dive operation with scuba gear available for passengers that scuba, which my wife and I are looking forward to. Barbados is the most eastern of the well known Caribbean Islands and over three hours by jet from Miami. From where we live in California it will be a long day getting there, but well worth it. BTW-------we booked this cruise just in the last week because of the tremendous discount. All the cruise lines are anxious to fill their cabins and the years economy has left them with space to fill. If you can pack and go quickly on short notice, their are some great travel opportunities.

Attached files
Lon

Off to Barbados

Post by Lon »

WHOOPS!!!!

This was supposed to go in the Vacation and Travel section----sorry bout that.

CARLA

Off to Barbados

Post by CARLA »

Can I come what a great trip I'm jealous. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Ahso!

Off to Barbados

Post by Ahso! »

Now, Lon, you remember that old school rule, don't you? Did you bring enough for everyone? Have fun!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Off to Barbados

Post by Betty Boop »

Sounds wonderful, have a great time Lon :-6
Chezzie

Off to Barbados

Post by Chezzie »

Im Green with envy Lon, sounds fabulous, please take pics to make us more jealous...Oh and of course we will need a daily food diary :wah:

Have a fab time:-6
minks

Off to Barbados

Post by minks »

Bon Voyage have a glorious time.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
chonsigirl

Off to Barbados

Post by chonsigirl »

Get a great tan with lots of Vitamin D in it!
Bryn Mawr

Off to Barbados

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I'd be soooo frustrated - all the technology tied up in that rigging and no way would they let me play :-(

I'd love to learn how a ship like that ticked and learn how to sail her.

Enjoy - and be sure to report back
along-for-the-ride

Off to Barbados

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Enjoy, Lon! :):-6

A bring back some photos to share. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
ZAP

Off to Barbados

Post by ZAP »

That sounds wonderful. I love cruising--never been on a ship that small however. Is the food just as good as Princess or Royal Caribbean? Next time I go I'm going on a short notice or repositioning ship. I know the fares are fantastic.

Have a good time!
G-man

Off to Barbados

Post by G-man »

Sounds like an awesome adventure you've got planned, Lon! One of my all-time favourite places to visit is Nevis. I want to sail on a ship like that, too.

Have a good trip!

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Lon

Off to Barbados

Post by Lon »

Zapata;1267841 wrote: That sounds wonderful. I love cruising--never been on a ship that small however. Is the food just as good as Princess or Royal Caribbean? Next time I go I'm going on a short notice or repositioning ship. I know the fares are fantastic.

Have a good time!

The food is top flight. Open seating for meals and casual attire. I've done the big ships (2,000 passengers) and much prefer the smaller vessels, and particularly the sporting activities available. Check out Windstar Home Page.

Luxury Cruises - Luxurious Cruise Vacations - Caribbean, Greek Isles, Europe, Mediterranean, Panama Canal
ZAP

Off to Barbados

Post by ZAP »

Lon;1267901 wrote: The food is top flight. Open seating for meals and casual attire. I've done the big ships (2,000 passengers) and much prefer the smaller vessels, and particularly the sporting activities available. Check out Windstar Home Page.

Luxury Cruises - Luxurious Cruise Vacations - Caribbean, Greek Isles, Europe, Mediterranean, Panama Canal

Thanks for the link. My last one was on the Crown Princess-4000 passengers- too big! What sort of sporting activities? This one had miniature golf (which I'd seen before) & one had a simulated golf driving range. I'm still looking for the skeet shooting that was supposed to be on one of them. I like the Trivia contests, dance lessons & the Name That Tune (always win those) & the art auction. Princess had a great variety of art. We went on a Renaissance once and it was wonderful-Tahiti, a smaller ship and then they went out of business.
Lon

Off to Barbados

Post by Lon »

Zapata;1267909 wrote: Thanks for the link. My last one was on the Crown Princess-4000 passengers- too big! What sort of sporting activities? This one had miniature golf (which I'd seen before) & one had a simulated golf driving range. I'm still looking for the skeet shooting that was supposed to be on one of them. I like the Trivia contests, dance lessons & the Name That Tune (always win those) & the art auction. Princess had a great variety of art. We went on a Renaissance once and it was wonderful-Tahiti, a smaller ship and then they went out of business.

Even though I am 75 I am very active physically and prefer the company of younger people. The average age on the Windstar is much younger than on the large ships where older folks enjoy over eating and sleeping on deck chairs. The on board sporting activities on the smaller ships center on water sport activities, scuba, snorkeling and more active ashore activities, biking, hiking, etc.
Nomad

Off to Barbados

Post by Nomad »

No one is going to Barbados, now every one just calm down.
I AM AWESOME MAN
ZAP

Off to Barbados

Post by ZAP »

Well! What am I supposed to do with these 4 suitcases & 2 carryons I've spent all night packing? :-3
droby

Off to Barbados

Post by droby »

I would love to go one day! So is it as good as the song, if you can remember it, only thing I can connec to Barbados anyway, maybe ill check out Cuba first before barbados, barbados seems a little small anyways, but who am I to judge if I have not been there yet :)

Return to “Travel Vacation”