Profanity

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Nomad

Profanity

Post by Nomad »

Are we still using profanity as a means of expression in society today?

If so is it used sparingly, saved for meaningful punctuation?

*u** for instance can be a useful tool if used properly, but if it falls out of your mouth every other syllable it loses value.

Mother ********r? Anyone still throwing this one around?

S*** might be saved for under your breath, like maybe after stubbing your toe or stepping on a dead bird.

*u**y?

C***S*****?

How colorful are we?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Ahso!

Profanity

Post by Ahso! »

My wife and I were talking about this earlier today. One of the things about me is I lack discretion and boundaries socially. In fact, often time I do the most inappropriate thing with in the context of the event. IOW I don't make sexual advances or open my fly, but at time I will tell a dirty or off color story or joke, just for the hell of it. And language, no boundaries at all, though lately I've been more aware and discrete by choice. But in the past, if it crossed my mind - it came out my mouth.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Nomad

Profanity

Post by Nomad »

Ive conditioned people around me to not hold me responsible since I myself really have no clue as to what may fall out of my mouth.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Imladris

Profanity

Post by Imladris »

Nomad;1266103 wrote: Ive conditioned people around me to not hold me responsible since I myself really have no clue as to what may fall out of my mouth.

Or end up on your computer screen!!:yh_rotfl

Swearing - it has it's uses, a little goes a long way.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Chezzie

Profanity

Post by Chezzie »

I was always told that people resorted to swearing because they wernt intelligent enough to use a better word, Personally sometimes you just have to but only at the right time and once lol....Dramatic and effective....However I absolutely hate that C word with a passion...I say s*it alot:o
Imladris

Profanity

Post by Imladris »

Chezzie;1266135 wrote: I was always told that people resorted to swearing because they wernt intelligent enough to use a better word, Personally sometimes you just have to but only at the right time and once lol....Dramatic and effective....However I absolutely hate that C word with a passion...I say s*it alot:o

The c word gets you a slap in my presence!! Hate it.

Had to stop saying sh1t when my daughter was little so I started using 'shavings' instead, can be said with feeling, it's not rude and if picked up by a small person there's no problem!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
CARLA

Profanity

Post by CARLA »

Sometime just saying the "F" word makes it all better. :yh_rotfl
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

abbey

Profanity

Post by abbey »

Nomad;1266090 wrote: Are we still using profanity as a means of expression in society today?

If so is it used sparingly, saved for meaningful punctuation?

*u** for instance can be a useful tool if used properly, but if it falls out of your mouth every other syllable it loses value.

S*** might be saved for under your breath, like maybe after stubbing your toe or stepping on a dead bird.

*u**y?

C***S*****?

How colorful are we?
:eek:

Wash your mouth out!
AussiePam

Profanity

Post by AussiePam »

Words are words. They get loaded with meaning depending on a lot of things, culture, context, target audience, intention.

Using one expression too often debases the coinage, shows lack of language ability

Using an expression in the wrong context and offending where offense was not intended shows lack of judgment and language ability

High impact words need to be kept in reserve for high impact effect.

AND - it is easy to be totally offensive without using a single swear word.

------------------

Ahhh the C word... COFFEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

yaaarrrgg

Profanity

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I always wondered how some words came to be known as "bad." Can we think some more up? Is there some standards committee that publishes a new list every year? From what I can tell, the words came from different cultures. Apparently listeners were prejudiced against the other culture and, ultimately, their language. So, IMO the root of profanity is bigotry (which means the offended listeners are more crude than the speakers). :)
dubs

Profanity

Post by dubs »

Nomad;1266090 wrote: Are we still using profanity as a means of expression in society today?If so is it used sparingly, saved for meaningful punctuation?

*u**y?

C***S*****?

How colorful are we?

****in' A

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
minks

Profanity

Post by minks »

I know I drop the "F" bomb way to much when my biker friend makes a comment about my language:lips:
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
along-for-the-ride

Profanity

Post by along-for-the-ride »

AussiePam;1266146 wrote: Words are words. They get loaded with meaning depending on a lot of things, culture, context, target audience, intention.

Using one expression too often debases the coinage, shows lack of language ability

Using an expression in the wrong context and offending where offense was not intended shows lack of judgment and language ability

High impact words need to be kept in reserve for high impact effect.

AND - it is easy to be totally offensive without using a single swear word.

------------------

Ahhh the C word... COFFEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AussiePam makes a good point. If you are known to cuss regularly, your utterences have little effect on others. They ignore you or walk away.

I believe any word can be a "cuss" word if it used to hurt another person.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bryn Mawr

Profanity

Post by Bryn Mawr »

yaaarrrgg;1266175 wrote: I always wondered how some words came to be known as "bad." Can we think some more up? Is there some standards committee that publishes a new list every year? From what I can tell, the words came from different cultures. Apparently listeners were prejudiced against the other culture and, ultimately, their language. So, IMO the root of profanity is bigotry (which means the offended listeners are more crude than the speakers). :)

Not too sure about that. The major swear words come from the Anglo-Saxon - not too many people know that culture to be prejudiced against it.
Odie

Profanity

Post by Odie »

minks;1266182 wrote: I know I drop the "F" bomb way to much when my biker friend makes a comment about my language:lips:

biker friend?

where?

got a pic?:yh_rotfl

me use the F word? dah!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
minks

Profanity

Post by minks »

Odie;1266218 wrote: biker friend?

where?

got a pic?:yh_rotfl

me use the F word? dah!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
hahahahahaha bad girl somewhere on FG there is prolly a pic of him from a few years ago ahahaha
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Peg

Profanity

Post by Peg »

I have a friend. She's beautiful both inside and out. The thing is, she has the worst potty mouth I've ever heard. She doesn't care who is around, young or old. She cannot make it through a sentence without using the "F" word at least twice. It makes me crazy. I have no clue how she holds a job working with the public.
Odie

Profanity

Post by Odie »

minks;1266220 wrote: hahahahahaha bad girl somewhere on FG there is prolly a pic of him from a few years ago ahahaha

hehe, I will check and see.

I seldom use the f word, as I think it sounds disgusting from a woman.

The C word?
Life is just to short for drama.
K.Snyder

Profanity

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1266208 wrote: Not too sure about that. The major swear words come from the Anglo-Saxon - not too many people know that culture to be prejudiced against it.

Perhaps people are offended by how one says something as opposed to what they actually say.
Lon

Profanity

Post by Lon »

I have good friend that never uses profanity as most of us know it and instead will say things like Horse Pucky, Holy Moly, Oh Shoot, Jeez, Golly Gee Whiz, Drat, Ding Dang, Piddle.
yaaarrrgg

Profanity

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Bryn Mawr;1266208 wrote: Not too sure about that. The major swear words come from the Anglo-Saxon - not too many people know that culture to be prejudiced against it.

That's a good point. I wondered if could have originated on boundaries of "low" and "high" culture (possibly even within the same group, at least in the listener's mind). Perhaps one person or group was viewed as dirty, and by connection, their words or phrases became known as "dirty words."
K.Snyder

Profanity

Post by K.Snyder »

yaaarrrgg;1266342 wrote: That's a good point. I wondered if could have originated on boundaries of "low" and "high" culture (possibly even within the same group, at least in the listener's mind). Perhaps one person or group was viewed as dirty, and by connection, their words or phrases became known as "dirty words."

Change the word "dirty" with "murderers"?
yaaarrrgg

Profanity

Post by yaaarrrgg »

K.Snyder;1266352 wrote: Change the word "dirty" with "murderers"?

That's possible. It wouldn't surprise me though if the inventors were perfectly fine individuals, and were looked down on for no good reason. Maybe they didn't have enough money for the listener's taste.

Return to “General Chit Chat”