Gift Cards

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
Jazzy

Gift Cards

Post by Jazzy »

Do you give gift cards as presents? Do you think they are to impersonal? :thinking:
Odie

Gift Cards

Post by Odie »

to me, its not impersonal, it's what some people want, then they can choose what they like.

others I give presents to.
Life is just to short for drama.
minks

Gift Cards

Post by minks »

i am not a one gift person, I give my kids both gift cards and giftees hehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
CARLA

Gift Cards

Post by CARLA »

I love to get and give them usually as part of a gift package kids love ITUNE cards.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Jazzy

Gift Cards

Post by Jazzy »

I love gift cards, but not to specific department stores. I love to give and receive Visa gift cards where I and the recipent can spend them on whatever I or they really want. I have been given store-specific cards and they go to waste. :(
Saint_

Gift Cards

Post by Saint_ »

Well, I had a couple of bad experiences with them, ...so no, I don't give them anymore. I always kind of felt bad too, like, 'Will that person think I'm too lazy or uncaring to shop for them?" I understand that this is changing and that the stigma of not shopping for someone is mostly in my head, but hey..call me a curmudgeon.:o

Instead, I now shop online and find unusual and fun items that I'm sure that people would like but it's almost as stress-free as a gift card.

This place is especially useful to me:

Bits And Pieces - The Source for Clever Puzzles and Intriguing Gifts for 25 years!
koan

Gift Cards

Post by koan »

I think everyone in my family should give each other prepaid $100 visa gift cards, one present per household to the other households. That way we all give each other $300 and we all get to go spend $300 on ourselves.

We could actually bump it up a bit and make it $600 or $900 just so we feel more decadent. :wah:
Odie

Gift Cards

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1268043 wrote: I love gift cards, but not to specific department stores. I love to give and receive Visa gift cards where I and the recipent can spend them on whatever I or they really want. I have been given store-specific cards and they go to waste. :(

that's so true with some department stores.

I received one from The Bay...never have shopped there, just to expensive.:mad:

Visa gift cards are a spectular idea.
ZAP

Gift Cards

Post by ZAP »

Jazzy;1268043 wrote: I love gift cards, but not to specific department stores. I love to give and receive Visa gift cards where I and the recipent can spend them on whatever I or they really want. I have been given store-specific cards and they go to waste. :(

Visa gift cards. What a great idea! That's what I'm going to give this year. In our bad economy, I can't think of anything better.
Skylark

Gift Cards

Post by Skylark »

I like getting gift vouchers or money so I give them as presents. Nothing worse than getting something you don't like although I know that it is the thought that counts.
cars

Gift Cards

Post by cars »

We used to give Gift Cards, along with "wrapped" choccie type gifts. This year we're giving cash money, & choccie gifts as well. (Cash is always everybody's favorite color & right size) :)
Cars :)
Odie

Gift Cards

Post by Odie »

Skylark;1268228 wrote: I like getting gift vouchers or money so I give them as presents. Nothing worse than getting something you don't like although I know that it is the thought that counts.

awesome ideas again!

like you said nothing worse than getting something you will never use.

my SIL gives me one from the grocery store I go to, you have no idea what a help that is at Christmas time, she purposely mails it ahead of time.:-4

Restaurants certificates are also a great idea.
Kathy Ellen

Gift Cards

Post by Kathy Ellen »

koan;1268081 wrote: I think everyone in my family should give each other prepaid $100 visa gift cards, one present per household to the other households. That way we all give each other $300 and we all get to go spend $300 on ourselves.

We could actually bump it up a bit and make it $600 or $900 just so we feel more decadent. :wah:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Koan, you're a riot...great idea...:wah:

A few years ago, my family made a decision to only buy for the kidlets under 21 yrs. of age. Our Christmas holiday was ridiculous as we spent all day opening gifts.

Then we decided to also have a grab bag and just buy for one person and only spend $50.00. What a waste of time as we really didn't need to buy for each other...It was like passing a $50 bill around. So now each family just buys for their own mate and kidlets. I buy a small gift for my special friends and of course for my school kidlets:-4

Now, we just spend Christmas together as a family and not worry about presents....We eat, drink, and be merry catching up and singing carols, rock and roll and of course Irish songs.

What a pleasant way to spend with my loved ones and friends.:-4
Skylark

Gift Cards

Post by Skylark »

Odie;1268304 wrote: awesome ideas again!

like you said nothing worse than getting something you will never use.

my SIL gives me one from the grocery store I go to, you have no idea what a help that is at Christmas time, she purposely mails it ahead of time.:-4

Restaurants certificates are also a great idea.

Oldie, I do like your black *****!
Odie

Gift Cards

Post by Odie »

Skylark;1268478 wrote: Oldie, I do like your black *****!

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

thanks.....he is identical in every way to one my cats names Spike.:guitarist
Odie

Gift Cards

Post by Odie »

cars;1268230 wrote: We used to give Gift Cards, along with "wrapped" choccie type gifts. This year we're giving cash money, & choccie gifts as well. (Cash is always everybody's favorite color & right size) :)

so are you sending cash to Odie?:sneaky:
cars

Gift Cards

Post by cars »

Odie;1268525 wrote: so are you sending cash to Odie?:sneaky:
Already did, didn't you get it yet! :p:wah::D
Cars :)
qsducks

Gift Cards

Post by qsducks »

Just be aware that the Visa cards do have a time limit on them & they will deduct the amount...say like 2 bucks a month on the card if you haven't used it within 6 months
PennyG

Gift Cards

Post by PennyG »

We give out gift cards, and i think they are a great idea.

I havent had any bad experiences with them, i just like the idea that whoever receives it, can get what they like, not what you think they like.

And the best part is they dont have to use it right away, save it for somthing special later on :)
Odie

Gift Cards

Post by Odie »

PennyG;1269449 wrote: We give out gift cards, and i think they are a great idea.

I havent had any bad experiences with them, i just like the idea that whoever receives it, can get what they like, not what you think they like.

And the best part is they dont have to use it right away, save it for somthing special later on :)

plus some stores have changed their policy that they no longer be required to be used up in one year.

We had one once, and just had no idea what to buy, so made the decision 8 months later.

Return to “Holidays”