The What I got Given for Christmas thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Post by spot »

This is, admittedly, not in my usual line of threads but I'm much touched by a peculiarly thoughtful and pleasing present from one of my relations. I have a ticket to see Jethro Tull play in town toward the end of March. That's something to look forward to. Oh, and one of my sons proposed marriage yesterday morning and was inexplicably accepted, with a suggestion that October would be convenient. I'll need to find a suitably cheerful tie. Two down, two to go.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Barman

Post by Barman »

Congratulations on both counts, a very happy Christmas for you indeed.:)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

spot;1276113 wrote: This is, admittedly, not in my usual line of threads but I'm much touched by a peculiarly thoughtful and pleasing present from one of my relations. I have a ticket to see Jethro Tull play in town toward the end of March. That's something to look forward to. Oh, and one of my sons proposed marriage yesterday morning and was inexplicably accepted, with a suggestion that October would be convenient. I'll need to find a suitably cheerful tie. Two down, two to go.

Nice !

All the way around.

Saw them eons ago w/ 10 Years After.

The only thing I asked for was Planet Earth in Blu Ray but also got a bonus The Universe in Blu Ray. Happy happy.
I AM AWESOME MAN
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Me and Hubs bought each other jointly a Wii and Wii fit plus! its fab! some fantastic workouts on there that are also really fun:wah: So we are hoping to get fitter and maybe lose a few punds with that:) we got that as i said jointly before christmas so we got each other just a couple of small gifts to open on Christmas morning. I got him some Paul smith perfume, and a thingy that you make paper bricks with, you save all your newspapers ripped up in a big bucket of water, then squash it into this birck maker thngy and close the handles down and it squashes your paper in to a very tight brick which dries out and you can then burn it on your fire or chimnea! Apparently a brick burns for about an hour,, so tis a good recyclable gift and hubs loves it, as he loves burning stuff on the chimnea:wah: I got some leather gloves, a massive jar of marshmallows and the new black eyed peas cd:D We both got lots more great pressies throughout the day from our children and mam and dad etc. One of hubs faves was that new soldiers CD where real soldiers are singing,,, (was advertised on telly) anyway its really good actually. There was Jewellry, bags, perfume, scarves ,,,, the usual suspects you know:wah:all in all a good day regarding pressies and also a good day regarding company, lunch, etc:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Congratulations to you Spot and it sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. :-6
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I'm sure you don't mean Shay Given, Manchester City's goalkeeper. Didnt give him a thought really. Not even a card.

Myself. I have a new toy to play with. An Xtreamer. A device to wirelessly stream my downloaded Hi-Def films directly to my TV from my pc. It helps when ones son can direct his mother into the right direction.

My wife is very pleased with her new boots, skinny jeans and handbag as well as her jimjams. Likewise it helps to have a daughter, steering one in the right direction
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Spot, congrats! 2 down, 2 to go-just like me!

For Christmas my daughter painted me a picture of my grandson, and my son got me some beautiful porcelain elephants.
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

I got a beautiful cashmere neck scarf and a cd of Susan Boyle. Nothing from hubby yet as he just got out of hospital. That was a terrific gift.
guppy

Post by guppy »

I hope you all had a good Christmas..for me, i did get wonderful gifts but the most important was i got to spend it with all my kids, my loving husband, my parents and brother and i got to go and see all of my husbands kids and their families as well. :-6
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Snowfire;1276186 wrote: I'm sure you don't mean Shay Given, Manchester City's goalkeeper. Didnt give him a thought really. Not even a card.

Myself. I have a new toy to play with. An Xtreamer. A device to wirelessly stream my downloaded Hi-Def films directly to my TV from my pc. It helps when ones son can direct his mother into the right direction.

My wife is very pleased with her new boots, skinny jeans and handbag as well as her jimjams. Likewise it helps to have a daughter, steering one in the right direction

Well there's a gift for you !!!

How long have you been here snowfire?

sometimes I pick up straight away on things but......I'm sorry I thought snowfire was a girl....SORRY:wah::wah:
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Loads of chocolate!!!! My family know me well :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

and dvd's and other stuff equally gratefully received
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Urghhhh I got choclate, I hate choclate. I eat it about twice a year. I'll send you mine Immy.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

A Betty Boop cushion, a Betty Boop pen, a Betty Boop bag, a Betty Boop perpetual calendar... I'm sensing a theme here :wah:
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

fuzzywuzzy;1276255 wrote: Well there's a gift for you !!!

How long have you been here snowfire?

sometimes I pick up straight away on things but......I'm sorry I thought snowfire was a girl....SORRY:wah::wah:

You're not the first fuzz. And I thought I was a very manly sort of man *sigh*
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

I got lots of material gifts.:)

However the best gift of all?

Our family reunited.

That was my most precious gift.

Corny ,old fashioned?

I don't care.

This christmas was special.

It may be our last one all together , it was special.

For that I am grateful:-4:-4

“Love is the master key which opens the gates of happiness.”

Oliver Wendell Holmes quote
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Raven

Post by Raven »

spot;1276113 wrote: This is, admittedly, not in my usual line of threads but I'm much touched by a peculiarly thoughtful and pleasing present from one of my relations. I have a ticket to see Jethro Tull play in town toward the end of March. That's something to look forward to. Oh, and one of my sons proposed marriage yesterday morning and was inexplicably accepted, with a suggestion that October would be convenient. I'll need to find a suitably cheerful tie. Two down, two to go.
LOL! Bet I can guess who gave you the Jethro Tull tickets! WOOHOO! That was a score!

Spot it sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! Ours was forced to be practical this year, but peaceful and boring is sometimes a VERY good thing! Car broke, so the perfunctory trips to family have been put on hold. Looks like they have to come to us this year.:yh_rotfl And maybe help hubby fix the car.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Odie

Post by Odie »

being an adult, I have no need to brag about gifts, it was the time spent with my family that matters to me.:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
Boogalette

Post by Boogalette »

Sounds like you had a great Christmas Day. You have to love that.

I watch this show, X-Weighted, and the host of that show is coming to town to present a seminar. Hubby got me a ticket to see that, he knew I'd like it. Also, some perfume and this and that. I feel Christmas is for the kids.

This year was a good one, not too many presents, not too obnoxious. And the kids were happy with what they received! That is what makes me happy. ;)
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1276113 wrote: Jethro Tull play in town toward the end of March.

Good God !!! Is he still alive?? Will he be standing on one leg again?

YouTube - Rock And Roll Circus - Intro And Jethro Tull - Best Quality

Sorry Spot but you will have to endure the Rolling Stones Intro to see Jethro in The Rolling Stones Circus in 1969 when Jagger first discovered him. Good to you, arn't I ??
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

My new boots are Alt Berg Altberg Bootmakers - Manufacturers of walking, military, police and motorcycle boots. Richmond, North Yorkshire

Excellent in every way.

Attached files
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Jethro Tull is still around? Not dead? Cool. Have fun. (Aha! I suspected you'd like that band. I once pretended to like them too, to date a sexy lifeguard I worked with. Didn't work though. i guess that's why I subconsciously don't like them now.) i saw Three Dog Night last year and they rocked!

My present was a 16 gig jump drive. Perhaps not a big deal to you, but after almost losing my entire music collection in a hard drive crash I can now sleep easier!

Attached files
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

That's cool, they're always handy! I was lucky enough to get an iPhone, so now I have more music on that than I do on my machine! Never thought that would happen...:wah:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Congradulations Spot, sounds like a wonderful Christmas. I got a new microwave, some new pots that were well needed, fake uggs (boots in black with fur), a nice jacket w/hood from Lands End & a nice comfy green zip up sweatshirt that has already shrunken:mad:...some leggings, gloves & stocking stuffers of avon stuff and a video game called super mario bros. for the wii...very addicting. From family we got gift certs to my fave restaurant & hubs got some nice stuff also, new coat, a pullover from daughter & of course the annual Chia Pet (a cat)
spot

Post by spot »

Good lord ducks, it's a startling image, you wearing all that at the same time. If it were all in a camouflage pattern, and all the ForumGarden women had the identical stuff given to them, we could form the 1st ForumGarden Women's Provisional Shock Battalion with the Chia Pet as regimental mascot. You could all train round each other's city centers, platoons of you suddenly diving into malls and clearing each shop in turn by throwing stun grenades in first, waiting for the smoke to clear and getting away before the other unconscious shoppers came to. You can be Platoon Sergeant since your training's so advanced over the others. Borrow some nightsticks and pick your A team. We'll want lots of photos.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
nok

Post by nok »

I got a beautiful calendar with 12 nature scenes of Canada in it. It was sent to me by snail mail from my Canadian friends, whom I made friends with around the second half of last year.

Spot, I'm glad you had a good Christmas and that two nice things happened.
Happiness is not a destiny. It is a daily goal. :)
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

How was the concert, Spot? Caused me to dig out all those old Jethro Tull and Ian Anderson music files.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1279034 wrote: How was the concert, Spot? Caused me to dig out all those old Jethro Tull and Ian Anderson music files.

March, it is. It's perhaps five years since I last saw the group perform. I'm very much looking forward to it. I had a lot on vinyl, then on CDs, now they're on the computer, they get played quite often.
minks

Post by minks »

Congrats Spot! Awesome news.

I got a bevy of glorious gifts :)

The coolest was a remote car starter I can't wait to get that installed, so nice for when it is -40C.

Glad you all had a good christmas.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

spot;1278932 wrote: Good lord ducks, it's a startling image, you wearing all that at the same time. If it were all in a camouflage pattern, and all the ForumGarden women had the identical stuff given to them, we could form the 1st ForumGarden Women's Provisional Shock Battalion with the Chia Pet as regimental mascot. You could all train round each other's city centers, platoons of you suddenly diving into malls and clearing each shop in turn by throwing stun grenades in first, waiting for the smoke to clear and getting away before the other unconscious shoppers came to. You can be Platoon Sergeant since your training's so advanced over the others. Borrow some nightsticks and pick your A team. We'll want lots of photos.

PMSL...I don't even know what to say I"m just laughing. Great post though. I love it.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

minks;1279041 wrote: Congrats Spot! Awesome news.

I got a bevy of glorious gifts :)

The coolest was a remote car starter I can't wait to get that installed, so nice for when it is -40C.

Glad you all had a good christmas.

Minks, can I borrow that remote car starter as that will make getting out of the malls faster when my forumgarden friends & I all go in & rob the malls in our camoflauge outfits...I promise the Chia Pet will be driving of course:wah: as nobody will suspect a Chia Pet driving
minks

Post by minks »

qsducks;1279076 wrote: Minks, can I borrow that remote car starter as that will make getting out of the malls faster when my forumgarden friends & I all go in & rob the malls in our camoflauge outfits...I promise the Chia Pet will be driving of course:wah: as nobody will suspect a Chia Pet driving

the chi pet is a clever disguise sweeeet
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

minks;1279099 wrote: the chi pet is a clever disguise sweeeet

Yes, don't think anybody will pull over a chia pet...reminds me to get my windows on my getaway van tinted....found the driver btw:wah:

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I recieved a can of Spam from my wife and my boys got me a pair of camo seat covers for my jeep which I just camo wrapped.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

YZGI;1279284 wrote: I recieved a can of Spam from my wife and my boys got me a pair of camo seat covers for my jeep which I just camo wrapped.

In other words you got Spamo:)
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

qsducks;1279287 wrote: In other words you got Spamo:)
It's a long running joke between us. Years ago I told her since I have her I would be happy getting a can of spam for Christmas and nothing else. Well I get my wish every year.
koan

Post by koan »

Absolutely the coolest thing was getting a Christmas bonus on my paycheck. I've never had that happen before. You could've knocked me over with a feather.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

koan;1279363 wrote: Absolutely the coolest thing was getting a Christmas bonus on my paycheck. I've never had that happen before. You could've knocked me over with a feather.That is cool - congratulations!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Nomad;1276117 wrote: Nice !

All the way around.

Saw them eons ago w/ 10 Years After..

Saori Jo opened the evening with a 40 minute set, very precise workings of her own songs, I'm glad to have seen her play. Some of her work is linked from Fairy World Video by SAORI JO - MySpace Video - her lyrics are low-key, her voice switches from light cabaret to a very firm push when she wants to take it there. "Stay" is a good example, she did that on stage and got a great reaction from the audience. She gives the appearance of being prepared to improvise and spin variations once the has the crowd's focus.

Jethro Tull came on at 8.30 with a line-up including John O'Hara on keyboard and accordion, he's quite a discovery. The set had some perfect moments like Budapest, an extended Bouree and Too Old. They brought in Locomotive Breath at the end and made a great power-house exit with it. the instrumental work just gets better each year and the vocals more considered. Tull in a folkie tent is a very different wilder experience well worth finding when they give in and oblige, Tull in concert is just magnificent. They've been doing this for over forty years now, they seem to think they have another thirty on stage in front of them. Well, if those grizzled hard men in The Dubliners can manage it I don't see any reason why Anderson and Barre can't and I hope they do.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Glad you enjoyed your Christmas present, Spot !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

this year we did not exchange gifts. just really spent the day the way in which it was really intended, in the first place.:)

Return to “General Chit Chat”