Does it bother you when people show up at your home unannounce?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I know that RedGlitter had a thread like this but can't find it now. Thought I would start a new one.

My handyman who is also my friend, neighbor and colleague showed up at my door at 7 AM......I just talked with him last night, and he didn't say he's coming over in the morning. I'm sure he wanted to drop off material that he's using to fix up my home. He could have just left them in the backyard.

He phoned me from his cell while he was outside my door. Needless to say, I didn't answer the door....geeze....does it hurt to give people a heads up that they're coming to your home....especially if they know that you like a phone call first?

Some of my family and friends do this also....just show up. I think it's rude. I don't want people coming to my home if I'm still sleeping, in jammies, messy house or just don't want unexpected company, especially at 7 AM or at 11 PM.

How do you feel about this?
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Maybe he thought you had the coffee on and wanted to be in your company? :sneaky:

Yeah, that's too early/late to making an unexpected visit unless it's an emergency.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I feel the same way KE and don't call me after 10pm unless its a life and death emergency I won't answer the phone so you will have to leave me a message anyway, or just text me its quicker.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

That's very rude. Some people don't consider that other people have a different lifestyle than theirs or they just don't care.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I know I posted a reply to this... now i'm wondering what thread i put it in...lol

I don't even turn down the TV.. I just sit there and ignore the door.

If it's early or late, I'll look outside for flashing lights and then ignore it.

If I didn't invite you, you're not welcome.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

flopstock;1324173 wrote: I know I posted a reply to this... now i'm wondering what thread i put it in...lol

I don't even turn down the TV.. I just sit there and ignore the door.

If it's early or late, I'll look outside for flashing lights and then ignore it.

If I didn't invite you, you're not welcome.

I agree Floppy.
Lon

Post by Lon »

When I was a kid and lived in New Joisey my uncle and aunt would drive 20 miles on a Sunday to come visit us in Paterson (unplanned and unannounced) and probably expecting dinner. My mother would quickly draw the drapes and pull the blinds and tell us to be quiet. I don't do that, but I do say to drop by company "Wow, you have caught me at a bad time---I was just heading out the door for an appointment".
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Lon;1324179 wrote: When I was a kid and lived in New Joisey my uncle and aunt would drive 20 miles on a Sunday to come visit us in Paterson (unplanned and unannounced) and probably expecting dinner. My mother would quickly draw the drapes and pull the blinds and tell us to be quiet. I don't do that, but I do say to drop by company "Wow, you have caught me at a bad time---I was just heading out the door for an appointment".

:wah:Oh, I love that answer Lon...I will try it next time.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I just this minute had a phone call to say the Police on on their way round to my house tonight and now I must run round like a mad thing cleaning ash trays, getting out the sunday best Tea Cups, hiding cats, locking Mulder away who has an Intense dislike for Police Officers, etc etc.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Hardly anyone comes over, so I don't mind. If it was at 7 am, I would though, that is too early to arrive unannounced.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1324158 wrote: I know that RedGlitter had a thread like this but can't find it now. Thought I would start a new one.

My handyman who is also my friend, neighbor and colleague showed up at my door at 7 AM......I just talked with him last night, and he didn't say he's coming over in the morning. I'm sure he wanted to drop off material that he's using to fix up my home. He could have just left them in the backyard.

He phoned me from his cell while he was outside my door. Needless to say, I didn't answer the door....geeze....does it hurt to give people a heads up that they're coming to your home....especially if they know that you like a phone call first?

Some of my family and friends do this also....just show up. I think it's rude. I don't want people coming to my home if I'm still sleeping, in jammies, messy house or just don't want unexpected company, especially at 7 AM or at 11 PM.

How do you feel about this?

That was very inconsiderate of him, just because he is up and working..........

No one comes here unless they phone first, as you said, I may not be dressed, the place may look like a time bomb, I need time to clean up several things fiirst.....plus I don't want company unexpected either.

and they know to give me at least an hour.
Life is just to short for drama.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I prefer they call first and not just outside the door.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I don't mind, come on in. Just don't get mad when I raise the volume level on the TV.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Consideration seems to have been classified as out-of-date, unfortunatley. I prefer visitors call ahead of time to make sure we'll be home. That way, we expect them, and we can tidy up, look presentable and maybe even prepare refreshments or even a meal. I also like to call ahead before we visit anyone.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1324179 wrote: When I was a kid and lived in New Joisey my uncle and aunt would drive 20 miles on a Sunday to come visit us in Paterson (unplanned and unannounced) and probably expecting dinner. My mother would quickly draw the drapes and pull the blinds and tell us to be quiet. I don't do that, but I do say to drop by company "Wow, you have caught me at a bad time---I was just heading out the door for an appointment". On hearing the doorbell, If she was not expecting any-one, my Mother would put her coat on. If It was some-one she did not want to see, she would tell them she was just going to catch the bus. If It was some-one she wanted to see, she would tell them she had just got home.... works for me.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Two replies to this:

1. Dropping by? Not a problem, getting them to feck’n leave is the issue.

2. A tradesman showing up early? That is a miracle, getting them to show up at all is the problem.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

U-N-N-A-C-C-E-P-T-A-B-L-E

Dont do it.

Please.

I wont answer the door even if my car is in the drive and you see me peeking through the blinds.

Ill hide in the bathroom until youre gone.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

I did have a blonde moment very late one night with a caller. I had locked my gate for the night and around 11 pm my mobile phone rang. It was our Beat Manager Police Officer and I said, I have to ring off because there Is some-one outside my gate, then hung up on him. It was him at my gate still connected to my mobile phone.
Odie

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1324216 wrote: I don't mind, come on in. Just don't get mad when I raise the volume level on the TV.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
guppy

Post by guppy »

oscar;1324556 wrote: I did have a blonde moment very late one night with a caller. I had locked my gate for the night and around 11 pm my mobile phone rang. It was our Beat Manager Police Officer and I said, I have to ring off because there Is some-one outside my gate, then hung up on him. It was him at my gate still connected to my mobile phone.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
guppy

Post by guppy »

oh no..i love unnanounced visitors..esp ups and fed ex..i am so excited to see them that i am standing at their drivers side entrance before they can shut the motor off...cause it means i am getting something..:D

Return to “General Chit Chat”