Stones or The Beatles... Stick your faves here...

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I was 8 years old and like most folk In England at the time, we had a small black and white tv In the corner of the lounge.

My eldest brother was watching Top Of the Pops, something I had shown no Interest In prior.

My father had just come home from work and I was chatting away to him about my day.

My mother told me that suddenly, this came on the TV and I stopped mid sentence and remained silent and transfixed on the screen until the singer had dissapeared from the screen.

YouTube - Rolling Stones - The Last Time (1965)

There began a life time love affair with Sir Jaggs.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bez

Post by Bez »

I was a big Beetles fan when they started out.....when they went all 'flower power' I wasn't so keen.

Always liked the Rolling Stones music but didn't like watching them much.

In 1964 when the Beatles started to become well known I was 18...in my early teenage years I liked Elvis, Billy Fury, Adam Faith, John Leyton, Mamas and Papas and loads more
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Oscar Namechange

Bez;1335957 wrote: I was a big Beetles fan when they started out.....when they went all 'flower power' I wasn't so keen.

Always liked the Rolling Stones music but didn't like watching them much. I can never take my eyes off Jaggs :wah:

When this track came out In 1966, I was 9 years old. I loved the track but did not have a clue what he was singing about.

YouTube - Mothers Little Helper Rolling Stones (w/ lyrics)

After becoming a 'housewife', It all slowly began to make sense and I believe Jaggs had enormous Insight for such a young man when he wrote this.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

I dedicate this song to my best friend Jane. We met at school aged 4 and a half years and went every-where together. She died at the age of 17 from a heart defect.

Every saturday we would go Into Brighton on the corner of North Street to the Virgin record store. We would sit on the bean bags with the hippies listening to the album 'Milestones' through the ear phones. She would ask at the counter for them to repeat this track over and over.

YouTube - the rolling stones - She's Like A Rainbow.avi

She's still a rainbow.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

i love both!!! The beatles were amazingly diverse and surprising what songs they actually had out, i lke a lot of their songs that are covered by others though most of the time,, :wah: heres one covered by the great Eddie Izzard!!:guitarist

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

this song was covered by someone else quite recently,,, heres the rolling stones version:guitarist

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

heres another beatles cover:sneaky:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I can remember my dad always reckoned the Stones were a degenerate looking bunch of toe-rags, and very ugly ! However, he surprised me by liking this particular track of theirs !!!! Strange man, my dad ! :yh_rotfl

YouTube - Rolling Stones - 19th Nervous Breakdown [Best quality / Original upload] (Aussie TV, 1966)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1335976 wrote: I can remember my dad always reckoned the Stones were a degerate looking bunch of toe-rags, and very ugly ! However, he surprised me by liking this particular track of theirs !!!! Strange man, my dad ! :yh_rotfl

YouTube - Rolling Stones - 19th Nervous Breakdown [Best quality / Original upload] (Aussie TV, 1966)

Oh Gill... You have brought back some memories.:wah:

I used to sing a line from to this to my Father :wah: On account of him being In the Conservative Party:

" You're the kind of person you meet at dismal dull affairs ":yh_rotfl

My Father thought Jagger was the spawn of satan and the great un-washed.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

i have this one as a ringtone for when my husband rings me:guitarist

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

a fave of mine from the beatles;)

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

One of my faves Kaz, Paint It Black.

This was always one of my all time faves but now I particually home In on the sound of that Jail cell door slaming at the very beginning of the track. Kinda brings back memories :yh_rotfl

YouTube - The Stones - We Love You
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I never had 'a thing' about the Stones, but one of their songs I used to sing when I was in my band, which I had to leave till the end of the night's gig as it tightened my throat so much ! But is was worth it, as it always went down a storm !

YouTube - The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction (live)
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1335986 wrote: I never had 'a thing' about the Stones, but one of their songs I used to sing when I was in my band, which I had to leave till the end of the night's gig as it tightened my throat so much ! But is was worth it, as it always went down a storm !

YouTube - The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction (live)

Ahhhh Another classic Gill

Another fave of mine: Ruby Tuesday but this cover version by Melanie In 1975 always stuck with me:

YouTube - Melanie - Ruby Tuesday 1975
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

oscar;1335988 wrote: Ahhhh Another classic Gill

Another fave of mine: Ruby Tuesday but this cover version by Melanie In 1975 always stuck with me:

YouTube - Melanie - Ruby Tuesday 1975

Nice:)

heres a great stones track:)

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1335990 wrote: Nice:)

heres a great stones track:)

Love It Love It Love but I must be honest and admit I have always loved this cover version better.

YouTube - Marianne Faithfull - As Tears Go By

Mars Bar any-one?
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

yea thats a good one too oscar:) like i said theres a lot of beatles tracks i like but dont by others:wah: have you ever watched this film Oscar Across the Universe,, its a crazy groovy kinda film:wah:but all the songs in it are covers of beatles songs,, Bono sings in it and Joe Cocker,,, probably more i cant remember,, anyway the soundtrack is fab!:guitarist

heres one:guitaristand can i have an aztec bar:sneaky:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1335994 wrote: yea thats a good one too oscar:) like i said theres a lot of beatles tracks i like but dont by others:wah: have you ever watched this film Oscar Across the Universe,, its a crazy groovy kinda film:wah:but all the songs in it are covers of beatles songs,, Bono sings in it and Joe Cocker,,, probably more i cant remember,, anyway the soundtrack is fab!:guitarist

heres one:guitaristand can i have an aztec bar:sneaky:

I loved It In a groovy funky type way.

Always loved Joe Cocker
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Paint it Black, that takes me right back to when we lived in a large semi-det house in a suburb of Nottingham called West Bridgford. It was a four bedroom Edwardian house, and we only used two of the bedrooms, so I applied to the University to take a couple of male students - full board. We were accepted and along came a couple of nice lads. One of them, Pete, a very good-looking young man, with dark hair, did body-building as a hobby, and he used to potter about the house in a tank top and shorts, when he was at home! :yh_drool :yh_sweat:yh_worshp (I used to turn the central heating up :yh_shhhh ).

After a few months, Pete announced that he was going in for a regional eliminator for 'Young Mr. Universe' competition to be staged in Nottingham in a couple of months and he needed some backing music for his 'set' - to last 2 minutes, and could I help him find some suitable music. Well I delved through my audio tapes and found what I thought might be quite reasonable for him.

I played it to him and he was amazed ! "That's brilliant, Gill, that will be just the job - a slow mysterious bit for when I first walk on to the stage and take up a pose, then it pounds into the dramatic section where I can go through all my dramatic poses in sequence and in time to the beat, and end with a peak so I can do my starting pose to finish !!!!"

I was very chuffed with myself for finding it, and I copied the music from 3.30 mins to the end, for him, onto a separate blank tape. (I made two copies just in case). So he went away and practiced two or three hours every day. I must say that I could hear the music coming from his room, so by the time the competition arrived, I was just a tad fed up with 'Paint it Black' ! :wah:

He won and went on to the next round of the competition, but he was, sadly, beaten.

He had a wonderful physique, but he hadn't pushed himself to the point of 'ugly' huge abnormal muscle development. The only draw back for me was his diet of 6 raw eggs in milk every morning for his breakfast - I never watched him consume that ! :yh_sick

If you listen from 3 mins 30, you maybe can imagine a young man with a gorgeous physique, presenting himself in all the different poses that these body builders do.

He did do a sort of 'dress' rehearsal for us all, just before the competition. I must say it took several days for me to recover ! :lips: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

YouTube - Paint it Black - Orchestra

Actually, Pete wasn't far off looking as good as this !!!!!!

YouTube - First Place!

You can, perhaps, understand why I had the central heating turned up in the house!

:yh_wink:yh_bigsmi
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

that was a good version there gill:)

we cant forget the walrus:sneaky:this is by Oasis

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Stones or The Beatles...

Met The Beatles but never ever The Stones so has to be The Beatles:guitarist
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Oscar Namechange

Carolly;1336039 wrote: Stones or The Beatles...

Met The Beatles but never ever The Stones so has to be The Beatles:guitarist

Carol... Great to see you here :guitarist

Gill... Fantastic story... Thank You.

Mr O met the original line up of The Stones In 1962 when they played RAF Wyton. Top of the bill was Val Doonican apparently :wah:

I met the Stones albiet very fleeting back-stage at the Millenium Stadium In Cardiff during The Bigger Bang Tour. I still have my back stage pass and the plectrums Keeeeeeeeeeeth gave me.

Tonight at work I have been chewing the fat of what would be my all time fave Stones track. I toyed with Sympathy For the Devil but finally setttled that yep, this Is It.

YouTube - Rolling Stones - Start Me Up

It just makes me want to get up and dance In that embarressing Auntie type dance at your wedding.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

oscar;1336074 wrote: Carol... Great to see you here :guitarist

Mr O met the original line up of The Stones In 1962 when they played RAF Wyton. Top of the bill was Val Doonican apparently :wah:

I met the Stones albiet very fleeting back-stage at the Millenium Stadium In Cardiff during The Bigger Bang Tour. I still have my back stage pass and the plectrums Keeeeeeeeeeeth gave me.

Tonight at work I have been chewing the fat of what would be my all time fave Stones track. I toyed with Sympathy For the Devil but finally setttled that yep, this Is It.

It just makes me want to get up and dance In that embarressing Auntie type dance at your wedding.You go for it baby,:guitarist

Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Oscar Namechange

Carolly;1336080 wrote: You go for it baby,:guitarist

Yeah... That Is me :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Yeah... Get Down
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

I was always a Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin kinda guy
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

oscar;1336074 wrote: Carol... Great to see you here :guitarist

It just makes me want to get up and dance In that embarressing Auntie type dance at your wedding.
Ohhh I love that one!!!!:guitarist

littleCJelkton;1336104 wrote: I was always a Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin kinda guy

ye i did a bit of head banging too:-5:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Although I do enjoy the saucy driving beat of the Stones, I also like songs like the ones below from the Beatles:

YouTube - The Beatles - Here,There And Everywhere

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

One of my favourites Is a solo number from Jaggs from the film 'Performance' In 1970.

I have always loved this but Mr O can not bear It and goes to his shed If I ever play when he Is In the house.

YouTube - Mick Jagger - Memo From Turner

The guitar Is by Ry Cooder.
Oscar Namechange

Here Is another Jaggs number from 1978 but I defy any of you to tell me that you knew about this number. !!!!

It is called 'Don't look back' and Is a reggea duet with Peter Tosh In a sort of ganga smoking, dreadlocks type way.

YouTube - Peter Tosh Mick Jagger "Don't look back"

Go on admit It.... You have never seen this have You ???
Oscar Namechange

Talking of duets with Jaggs, I am reminded of this contribution to Band Aid with Bowie.

YouTube - David Bowie - Dancing In The Street
Oscar Namechange

YouTube - Tina Turner & Mick Jagger , Brown Sugar

Jaggs with Tina Turner and Brown Sugar
Oscar Namechange

YouTube - brian jones lady jane

The wonderful 'Lady Jane'.. released In 1966 and rumoured to have been written as reference to Jaggs brief dalliance with Lady Jane Fellows, sister of Princess Diana Spencer.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

i want to watch these but im with me dad and have the sound down so as not to disturb,,, will listen later at home:guitarist

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

i have this song on my phone as my alarm tune to wake me up when i need it:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “General Music”