Is God Real?

Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Hope is another personal proof of God, because " Its in you", you who Hope for God. Simular to Romance, it is deep intense inner desire for something or someone that you may or maynot now have. But it keeps you going, keeps you centered, keeps you sane, so to you, its absolutely real and rewarding.

Now I want to go into Knowledge as proof of God.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Is God Real? Can we " Know" that he is real? Well that knowing is knowledge. Wisdom is " Knowing how it is", and we can have a knowledge of God, we most certainly can. We can have a perception of him. Our range of Cognizance can hold a practical understanding of him. In Acquaintance with the facts, the science, the truths, the obvious principles involved, we can indeed know.

And I want to go into knowledge as proof of God.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

The sum of what is known about God varys from religion to religion, and further outside of religion. This knowledge is " Growing", we know more about God as time progresses, this " Increase in knowledge", is within itself proof of God, if he were not real, the knowledge wouldnot increase. I am reminded of Daniel 12:4; " But as for you Daniel, conceal these words and seal up the book until the end time, many will go back and forth, and knowledge will increase."

The increase of knowledge, any kind of knowledge, is evidence that God is real.

Now I want to go into Marriage as proof of God.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

In Genesis 2:22-25, God institutes marriage, he himself married Adam and Eve. This was the first marriage, and all of Adams generate have been getting married ever since. Thus marriage, is proof of God.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

In 1947 a Judean wilderness shepard lad was looking for a stray goat at cliffs overlooking the Dead Sea, and noticed an opening over the edge. Throwing a rock he heard a " Ping" sound as the rock found its mark. Entering the cave he found a number of large jars. Breaking them open, the famous " Dead Sea Scrolls" were discovered. A stunning find, Fragments of the book of Genesis, portions of Daniel, A commentary of Habakkuk, and the complette book of Isaiah.

They were there since they were hidden 1,879 years before. An incredible find and continued support of God being real.

Peace.
TruthBringer

Is God Real?

Post by TruthBringer »

Mickiel;1343313 wrote: This is how I know God can over ride the human will and cause you to think in a manner that he insist, and there is nothing you can do about it.

God doesn't interfere with Free Will.

It loves you so much that It will let you stand on your own two feet in the path of righteousness, or to walk blindly into the shadow of despair.
Link removed by moderator
xyz

Is God Real?

Post by xyz »

TruthBringer;1343369 wrote: God doesn't interfere with Free Will.
Quite so. God is a rope-maker. He gives us enough rope to climb to heaven.

Of course we can use it for another purpose.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Salvation itself is proof of God, he will save all of humanity, inspite of what these doomsaying Christians are preaching. Jesus died for all of humanity sins to be forgiven, and he brought salvation for all of us, it is free and totally given to all, incredible proof of God.

And a most lovely proof of him.

Peace.
recovering conservative

Is God Real?

Post by recovering conservative »

TruthBringer;1343369 wrote: God doesn't interfere with Free Will.

It loves you so much that It will let you stand on your own two feet in the path of righteousness, or to walk blindly into the shadow of despair.

There is no such thing as free will. We do not have souls that extend beyond our bodies and live on after we die, and there is not one property of mind that cannot be correlated with physical brain function. The mind is what the brain does. And since our mental properties are created by the complex interactions of a physical brain -- none of our actions can be free of that physical, causal chain of events. So every choice we make, and action we perform, is constrained by physical factors of genetics, environment, and whatever the capabilities of our brains happening to have for reasoning, and making informed decisions. Most believers in this sort of excuse for divine judgment, make exceptions for people who are mentally ill or mentally deficient, because they may not even be able to make simple rational decisions. Yet somehow, the same people will believe that the rest of us who function at a somewhat higher level, can be judged on the basis of whether they accept or believe one of thousands of different, competing claims to have The One True Path To Salvation. In the end, it's a pressure tactic used to substitute the emotions of fear, when logic fails to be convincing.
recovering conservative

Is God Real?

Mickiel;1343381 wrote: Salvation itself is proof of God, he will save all of humanity, inspite of what these doomsaying Christians are preaching. Jesus died for all of humanity sins to be forgiven, and he brought salvation for all of us, it is free and totally given to all, incredible proof of God.

And a most lovely proof of him.

Peace.

A Pew Forum survey two years ago showed that up to 70% of Americans believe in some form of universalism, in spite of what their church leaders tell them. A likely reason is that people living in an increasingly cosmopolitan society, where they are in close contact with many people of different religions -- may feel somewhat ill at ease with the policy of the "narrow path to salvation."

Personally, I think the easiest way to resolve this quandary is just to come to terms with the modern findings of neuroscience and disregard notions of souls, and who gets in, and who doesn't get into the heavenly VIP club. Some people who have developed close attachments to animals, want to believe that their pets will be with them in heaven. Why not? Dogs have the same level of emotional complexity as humans. Nevertheless, universalism is certainly a step up from the divisive dogmas that judge people's worth based on what they believe or don't believe in.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

recovering conservative;1343411 wrote: A Pew Forum survey two years ago showed that up to 70% of Americans believe in some form of universalism, in spite of what their church leaders tell them. A likely reason is that people living in an increasingly cosmopolitan society, where they are in close contact with many people of different religions -- may feel somewhat ill at ease with the policy of the "narrow path to salvation."

Personally, I think the easiest way to resolve this quandary is just to come to terms with the modern findings of neuroscience and disregard notions of souls, and who gets in, and who doesn't get into the heavenly VIP club. Some people who have developed close attachments to animals, want to believe that their pets will be with them in heaven. Why not? Dogs have the same level of emotional complexity as humans. Nevertheless, universalism is certainly a step up from the divisive dogmas that judge people's worth based on what they believe or don't believe in.

Well yes, I agree. This narrow path to Salvation is the Spirit of " Elitism", which many believers in God derive their special feelings from, and confuses the bibles teaching about the firstfruits of Salvation, to be the only fruits of Salvation. They then pacify themselves, while they condemn others, and they think God endorses this pacification. They don't understand the depth of Gods Grace and forgiveness, the true depth and effect of Christ sacrifice, its totality. They will be put to shame. But they willnot be condemned, as they condemn others.

Universalism is an exact discription of Gods Love for all of humanity, and the doctrine itself is proof of God.

Peace.
recovering conservative

Is God Real?

Mickiel;1343414 wrote: Well yes, I agree. This narrow path to Salvation is the Spirit of " Elitism", which many believers in God derive their special feelings from, and confuses the bibles teaching about the firstfruits of Salvation, to be the only fruits of Salvation. They then pacify themselves, while they condemn others, and they think God endorses this pacification. They don't understand the depth of Gods Grace and forgiveness, the true depth and effect of Christ sacrifice, its totality. They will be put to shame. But they willnot be condemned, as they condemn others.

Universalism is an exact discription of Gods Love for all of humanity, and the doctrine itself is proof of God.

Peace.

It's surprising that at a time now, when hardline fundamentalists are afraid to talk about hell, they can't give up on the concept of judging people for their beliefs and actions, and end up having to create all kinds of convoluted ways for God to wash his hands of the damned.....such as this Free Will argument -- I have often been told:'God doesn't send people to hell, their decision to sin sends them to hell'. Until recent times, the preachers weren't shy about going into obsessive detail about divine wrath. Some of the sermons of renowned Great Awakening preacher - Johnathan Edwards, show how obsessed he was about the details of tortures awaiting those who aren't saved. I guess if you scare people enough, you can make them believe anything you have to say!

I wasn't too much aware of universalism until I stumbled across the CARM forums three or four years ago, at a time when I was trying to learn about different religions, and sort out my own thoughts on these subjects. CARM isn't subtle about their fundamentalist agenda, but they have subforums that cover just about every religious and philosophical position that falls outside of their narrow definition of "true" Christianity. They had forums for: Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses; other religions including: Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, pagans...and even a forum for atheists. It becomes apparent after a week or so that these little communities of non-evangelical Christians are preserved for the zealots to practice and hone their skills at rhetoric, since we aren't allowed on their "Christian" forums, but the fundies constantly invade and repeat the same lame arguments over and over again.....that's why, after awhile, most outsiders get sick of arguing with them and move on!

But there's one Christian group, and Christian doctrine that CARM won't allow spoken: Universal Salvation. This was a head-scratcher for me that they allow so much of what they consider anti-christian, but anyone caught making an argument for universalism is banned, and has all of their posts deleted. So, what are they afraid of? It's anyone's guess, but my conclusion was that Matt Slick and his acolytes fear that if they can't scare people into believing their dogma, or following their narrow definition of what's Christian, that they will lose power over the people.

As for Universalism itself, I'm not going to do Bible arguments with people who say it's not in the Bible -- hellfire isn't there either, unless you interpret a parable as an historic event! The early Christian church father - Origen, was likely to be the first to express a belief in what he termed "Universal Reconciliation," and he was downgraded in Church history as a result, and lucky that he wasn't branded a heretic like Marcion, and other early church leaders who lost doctrinal battles. Many of the other Church leaders likely were afraid that they didn't have enough control over their followers in this world, and wanted the leverage of being able to use retribution after death against them, in case they didn't get a chance to punish them while they were living.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Is God real? You mean like you and me? Of course not, and you know that, otherwise you wouldn't need to go about trying to prove it. You and I can be easily seen, spoken to, listened to, touched, we interact with others, we have reproductive capabilities and all those types of things. Nobody needs to go out and prove our existence.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1343475 wrote: Is God real? You mean like you and me? Of course not, and you know that, otherwise you wouldn't need to go about trying to prove it. You and I can be easily seen, spoken to, listened to, touched, we interact with others, we have reproductive capabilities and all those types of things. Nobody needs to go out and prove our existence.

I am not trying to prove God exist, I am sharing why I believe he exist. It matters not to me what others believe, thats their business, I hold no need to prove anything to anyone other than myself. And I have already proved to myself that God is real.

The hanging Gardens of Babylon proved that to me when we found them. The way the human body was designed proved that to me, its sure complexity. The Spider that can spend its web into the air in chicargo, and ride its web like a parachute and land in Detroit, proved that God exist to me.

And it matters not to me whoelse believes it.

Peace.
flopstock

Is God Real?

Post by flopstock »

Yes god is real
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

littleCJelkton

Is God Real?

Post by littleCJelkton »

So if god is real to John Doe but not John smith is god still real? partially real or does it really matter.

To me I couldn't care if a person Christian, Jewish, Muslim, ect.., believes in a deity or not, so long as the belief in that higher power is what keeps that person just, moral, enables them to provide positively to the mass of society, and as long as this belief doesn't cause the person to be hostile to me or others then they can have that belief. Unfortunately I find there are too many cases that if it is known that John Smith doesn't believe in a Deity or the same deity as a Christian, Jew, Muslim, ect..., then a negative or even hostile reaction is the result, and often John Smith is barraged with negative connotation "blasphemer, Infidel, dammed" that he needs to defend against.
flopstock

Is God Real?

Post by flopstock »

littleCJelkton;1343488 wrote: So if god is real to John Doe but not John smith is he still real? partially real or does it really matter.

To me I couldn't care if a person Christian, Jewish, Muslim, ect.., believes in a deity or not, so long as the belief in that higher power is what keeps that person just, moral, enables them to provide positively to the mass of society, and as long as this belief doesn't cause the person to be hostile to me or others then they can have that belief. Unfortunately I find there are too many cases that if it is known that John Smith doesn't believe in a Deity or the same deity as a Christian, Jew, Muslim, ect..., then a negative or even hostile reaction is the result, and often John Smith is barraged with negative connotation "blasphemer, Infidel, dammed" that he needs to defend against.

God is not a he
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

flopstock;1343487 wrote: Yes god is realI think belief in god is real, but god as a living individual is not real.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
littleCJelkton

Is God Real?

Post by littleCJelkton »

flopstock;1343490 wrote: God is not a he

well sorry I missed that, but that is small thing to focus on instead of the rest of what I posted.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Most are familar with the cuddly Koala bears and have heard of eucalyptus trees. They have a special relationship. Each is native to only one place on earth- Australia. Koalas eat nothing but eucalyptus leaves, often living their entire lives in one grove. They also derive moisture from these leaves because they never drink water. Koalas posses specific microorganisms in their digestive systems necessary to break down the elements in eucalyptus leaves that are toxic to every other creature on earth. These toxins are actually converted into vitamins.

How could this evolve, they had to be created with the microorganisms already present in their stomachs. Without them, they would have eaten the leaves and died. Many naturalist consider them to have the most advanced digestive system on the planet. Their low 5% protien intake with tannins and toxins, would kill other animals. Is it random luck that they developed a taste for these leaves and just happened to have the right microorganisms to digest them?

No, they were created and designed that way. Again, stunning proof of God.

Peace.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

From Wikipedia:

Real may also refer to:

* Reality, the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or may be thought to be.

Real - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
flopstock

Is God Real?

Post by flopstock »

Ahso!;1343491 wrote: I think belief in god is real, but god as a living individual is not real.

And you are entitled to think that.

chimichanga

Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

flopstock;1343501 wrote: And you are entitled to think that.

chimichangaThank you! I'd like to meet this real god, would you care to introduce us?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
recovering conservative

Is God Real?

Ahso!;1343475 wrote: Is God real? You mean like you and me? Of course not, and you know that, otherwise you wouldn't need to go about trying to prove it. You and I can be easily seen, spoken to, listened to, touched, we interact with others, we have reproductive capabilities and all those types of things. Nobody needs to go out and prove our existence.

I haven't seen any evidence that we live in a designed universe, or that the Universe has a mind that we can relate to; nevertheless, it's an over-reach to say that God does not exist. Until we have a better understanding how this Universe came into existence, we can't categorically rule out some kind of God -- however that is defined!

I'm still not seeing a clear definition of God from the believers. But maybe belief in God is more of a felt experience that the believer feels, but doesn't know the details of in order to explain it's properties, like the things we see and touch.
recovering conservative

Is God Real?

Mickiel;1343481 wrote: I am not trying to prove God exist, I am sharing why I believe he exist. It matters not to me what others believe, thats their business, I hold no need to prove anything to anyone other than myself. And I have already proved to myself that God is real.
If the world doesn't make sense to you without God, then God exists! I don't believe it is necessary for everyone to think the same way -- either follow the same religion, or be an atheist materialist.

We are all different, and have different wants and needs; so it only makes sense that there will be many different ways of explaining the world, and finding meaning in our lives. We are fumbling around in the dark during the course of our lives, trying to make sense of this world that we are born into, and as long as the path we are on doesn't lead to conflict or irrational behaviour, it's all fine with me!
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

recovering conservative;1343518 wrote: I haven't seen any evidence that we live in a designed universe, or that the Universe has a mind that we can relate to; nevertheless, it's an over-reach to say that God does not exist. Until we have a better understanding how this Universe came into existence, we can't categorically rule out some kind of God -- however that is defined!

I'm still not seeing a clear definition of God from the believers. But maybe belief in God is more of a felt experience that the believer feels, but doesn't know the details of in order to explain it's properties, like the things we see and touch.It would then be over-reaching to say any concept, thought or idea does not exist. It would be equally incorrect for any parent or other adult to tell a child that ghosts, goblins, demons and so forth do not exist. It would be incorrect to teach a child that the concept of any fairy tale is not real and accurate and that daydreaming during school or dinner for instance is not justified.

The only one who could prove beyond doubt a living God would be God him/her/itself, but God has not done that because God can't because God does not exist.

Also, we are beginning to know enough about life itself to realize that the evidence uncovered thus far is far and away contrary to any such being.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Common sense is proof of God. Its common sense that something cannot come from nothing. Its just commonm sense that all physical things had a beginning, and before that beginning, they simply didnot exist. Only a God of life and creation can be that beginning, nothing, nothing that lives could have begun itself, by itself.

Thats just common sense.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

In 1887 a peasant woman found some clay tablets along the Nile River at " Tell El-Amarna." These tablets shed much light on biblical Israels conquest of Biblical " Canaan," They are called " The Tell el-Amarna Tablets", look them up on the internet and see this stunning find and proof of a people God choose.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

While your looking up the Tell el- Amarna tablets, also look up " The Merneptah Stele". Merneptah ruled in Egypt about 1224 to 1214 B.C., and was forced to defend his empire against invading people from the north. In The record of his campaign in Palestine, which is the tablet discovered called the Merneptah Stele, he mentions dfifferent sea peoples, amoung them Israel in Canaan. This monument provides the first mention of Israel in Egyptian records, and is proof that Israel was in Palestine by 1220 B.C., and Proof that God was leading these people.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Joshua 9:1 mentions the city of " Gibeon". Archaeologist James B. Pritchard discovered this great biblical city. The city was widely known for its water supply, Jer. 41:12. A battle was fought at one of its pools, 2Sam. 2:12-17. They found this " Pool of Gibeon", another stunning find and another proof that Gods word is a valid historical reality.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

The bible has been found to be accurate in history, no doubt there, it helped historians learn about " Baalism", a religion of immorality, vice and sex, in which children were offered as human sacrifices to the god Baal. A tablet found at the ancient Canaanite city of Ugarit, ( Now called Ras Shamra, in northern Syria) gives us the mythological backround of this most unusual religion, which was common in the days of Lot during Israels tenure in Canaan.

They are called " The Ras Shamra Tablets", look them up on the internet.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Meditation is another proof that God is real. You think about these proofs I am posting, " Chew them over in your consciousness". This chewing over is meditation. You seriously think about it. As the immagination meets the facts somewhere deep within your consciousness, you begin a new communication with reality as it is, not as it seems to be. You concentrate on the facts of the matter, you compile these facts and you extremely examine them. Prophecys fulfilled, ( And Prophecy is yet another proof of God), history verified, mysterys revealed, and you begin to realize that you actually can know that God is real.

Peace.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

This is like trying to have a conversation in an asylum. Its fun!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

In 2Chronicles 32:30 King Hezekiah had a tunnel built by the city of David, Archaeologist have found this tunnel. This is why I am so impressed with Archaeology as a proof of God, its one of my favorites, right up there with Consciousness, just overwhelming evidence of a God.

Sarah, Abraham, Issac, Leah and Jacob were buried in Hebron in a cave called " The Cave of Machpelah". Purchased by Abraham in Genesis 23. Did you know they have found this cave beneath a temple. The temple, " The Haram el-Khalil" (Sacred preciut of the friend of the merciful one, God) in Hebron, its today a Muslim Mosque.

References as early as the Hellenistic period, 2nd century B.C., testify that this is the burial place of Gods Patriarchs. The cave was explored by the Augustine Canons in 1119, at which time they claim to have even found the bones of the Patriarchs. Abraham pitched his tent in Hebrons Plains. Hebron is a mountianous region south of Jerusalem, 1000 meters above sea level. Abraham bought the cave of Machpela from Ephron the Hittite and buried his wife Sarah there. Located in the center of Hebron , it became the tomb of the Patriarchs and their wives.

Again, stunning proof of God.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Did you know that no one, no scientist has ever documented a single case of non-living matter comming to life in a self replicating form. There is no such thing as abiogenesis. There is no example of spontaneous generation which includes self replicating machinery ( DNA and RNA). There is ZERO scientific evidence of abiogenesis. This lack of evidence supports biogenesis, and that supports evidence for God being real.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

The bible speaks of " Treasures in Egypt" in Hebrews 11:26, it means riches of untold wealth. The discovery of King Tut's tomb in 1922 sheds more light on the bibles accuracy. A stunning find, full of gold and wonder. A coffin, his throne, simply stunning, these biblical people of Egypt.

Peace.
littleCJelkton

Is God Real?

Post by littleCJelkton »

Ahso!;1343552 wrote: This is like trying to have a conversation in an asylum. Its fun!

I know I am suprised the idea the world is flat, or the earth is the center of the universe hasn't come up.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

The prophet Jeremiah spoke of the Edomites as " Thou that dwellest in the clfts of the rocks, that holdest the height of the hill", Jer. 49:16. Leaving Kadesh-barnea, Moses sought passage through the mountians of Seir, the land of the Edomites, Num. 20:14-17. One of the cities in Seir was " Selah", now called " Petra", the Red Rose city, Half as old as time. Complettely surrounded by rock mountians, its only entrance is a narrow gorge called " The Siq", which is just about two miles long. A stunning archaeological find, this great biblical city is one of the most rugged places on earth.

To get to Petra, one must either walk or ride horseback, there is no other way. The buildings are facings hewn from rocky mountian sides, the colors on the brick range from pastel to red, yellow, brown, purple and white. With countless rooms hollowed out of pure brick, there are palaces, temples, tombs, shops, houses, and banquet halls. Carved rock steps and monoasteries. A stunning biblical find, it adds to the growing evidence of God.

Peace.
littleCJelkton

Is God Real?

Post by littleCJelkton »

I am also trying to figure out if were Dealing with Jewish or Christian beliefs here. As I see passages from the OT and NT.

Though, since it contains both it is probably a Christian miss interpreting the OT as the OT is not the Christian book. Which is why some of this stuff doesn't make sense
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Another proof of God is " Healing", just millions of unexplained healings in our history that even astounds science. And this is something I have personally seen. There are endless examples of miracle healings, nearly everyone has either seen this or heard of it.

Undeniable proof of God.

Peace.
xyz

Is God Real?

Post by xyz »

littleCJelkton;1343585 wrote: I am also trying to figure out if were Dealing with Jewish or Christian beliefs here. As I see passages from the OT and NT.

Though, since it contains both it is probably a Christian miss interpreting the OT as the OT is not the Christian book. Which is why some of this stuff doesn't make sense
The OT is called the OT because it is a Christian book!
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

The " Code of Hammurabi" was one of the more interesting archaeological finds. Look it up. It was discovered in 1902 and written several centuries before Moses day, it proved that moral laws were known long before Moses wrote " The Pentateuch."

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

xyz;1343587 wrote: The OT is called the OT because it is a Christian book!

The bible is not a Christian book, its a book that Christians read. The bible is not " Owned by any religion," and cannot be labeled in the name of any religion. It is for all peoples of the earth.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Archaeologist John Garstang discovered the " Fallen walls of Jericho", Josh.6, in the early 30's. A stunning find, do you begin to see how this evidence is piling up, with absolutely no refutation from anyone here. They cannot disprove facts in our history. This inability to disprove, is then proof of validity.

Peace.
xyz

Is God Real?

Post by xyz »

Mickiel;1343589 wrote: The bible is not a Christian book
The Bible is in print because Christians read it, because it was written for them, and for no-one besides. Others (a greater number) read it because of the existence of Christians, because they oppose Christians, though they very often hide that fact.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

xyz;1343591 wrote: The Bible is in print because Christians read it, because it was written for them, and for no-one besides. Others (a greater number) read it because of the existence of Christians, because they oppose Christians, though they very often hide that fact.

This is one of the most selfish religious statements I have ever read. It demonstrates the Christian attitude and how ugly and self righteous it can be. The bible is in print because God wanted it avialible to all of humanity as a witness to the truth. It was not written for Christians, it was written for sinners. 2Tim. 3:16;" All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in Righteousness. Not for Christians, but for humans. People don't read the bible " Because of Christians", that is so self righteous, its sickening. They read it because Of God and Christ. And intrest.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

xyz;1343591 wrote: The Bible is in print because Christians read it, because it was written for them, and for no-one besides. .

I can't impress on you how ugly and selfish this above belief really is. This is one reason why I will never be Christian, senseless selfishness like this. To believe that the Holy word of God is for Christrians and nobodyelse, is insanity. The same insanity that teachs eternal hell torture.

Peace.
recovering conservative

Is God Real?

Ahso!;1343527 wrote: It would then be over-reaching to say any concept, thought or idea does not exist. It would be equally incorrect for any parent or other adult to tell a child that ghosts, goblins, demons and so forth do not exist. It would be incorrect to teach a child that the concept of any fairy tale is not real and accurate and that daydreaming during school or dinner for instance is not justified.
I wouldn't even place ghosts in the same category with goblins and demons....let alone God, because a belief in harmful spirit forces could (and in fact does) cause great harm to people. So, removing a belief in demons is more important -- since an untold number of people who are mentally ill, albinos, or have other quirks that scare people, have been tortured and murdered by superstitious mobs afraid of demons.

When it comes to ghosts -- I consider this on par with a belief in souls. A belief in souls cannot jibe with a modern understanding of how the brain works and creates our sense of having an independent, unified mind. A poor understanding of mind is at the root of the problems with how society deals with substance abuse and the criminal justice system. And ghosts -- this can be good, or it can be bad. If someone (personal example) who has lost a loved one, believes that their spirit is still in the home, is it worthwhile proving to them that ghosts do not really exist?

But, when it comes to God -- I would still say that we are far from having a clear enough understanding of how this universe works, or where it came from, to take an antitheist position. What if it all turned out to be something off the wall, like the Biocosm Theory which explains the fine tuning of physical laws by a theory that universes are deliberately seeded by advanced intelligent life forms (from an earlier universe) with a predetermined set of laws. If such a wild idea was true, what would that say about the God debate? Arthur C. Clarke said many years ago that we would not be able to distinguish an advanced life form from a god to start with. A crazy idea like Biocosm, shows that it's possible to think up ways of designing universes without having a God in the traditional sense of the term.

The only one who could prove beyond doubt a living God would be God him/her/itself, but God has not done that because God can't because God does not exist.

Also, we are beginning to know enough about life itself to realize that the evidence uncovered thus far is far and away contrary to any such being.
Ultimately, my question is whether everyone is suited to living in a world with or without God. Many behavioural psychologists such as Bruce Hood (Supersense), believe that a large (maybe even a majority) portion of the population is going to stick tenaciously with using intuition rather than reasoning, to answer these kind of questions.

Our first reactions are intuitive, and then we take time to apply reasoning -- when we have the time of course! So, that intuitive sense is hardwired into our thinking, and throws a lot of cold water on the notions of Richard Dawkins and others, who think supernatural beliefs are just ideas and concepts that can be replaced with science. In most people, replacing a belief in God will just open the door to some other form of supernaturalism; so why fight it, until it gets to the point where supernaturalism is threatening life in the real world?

Most people who believe in God, along with ghosts and angels, behave perfectly rationally when it comes to regular life, and their religious beliefs may be an inspiration to feel better and act better than they otherwise would be doing. So, I'm not with what's called New Atheism. I just want to encourage the good religion, and discourage the bad religion that becomes a big problem in troubled times....like we're living through right now.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Is God Real? Strange question, God made us and we are asking if he is real. This is how far we have drifted from our orgin, we question our own beginning. Well we are living a long time after the first man was created, so we can know only what we know. We are just far removed from God, and we call ourselves advanced. Time has had an effect on our reasoning, and I want to examine that.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

One of the main reasons the legacy of God has survived, is word of mouth. Passed down from generation to generation, word of mouth is a powerful story teller. Much truth has come from it, and much deception. Word of mouth is partly a proof of God, but not a reliable proof. The survival of the legacy of God speaks for itself, the story has just refused to die out.

And I want to go into that.,

Peace.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”