life is so sad sometimes

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

a friend of mine was in a meeting at work and began to feel sick one of the women there told her to go to the hospital because she actually turned very pale. Being 24 weeks pregnant it was prudent to go. That night she gave birth to a son, out of the blue and very quickly before any preparations. He was immediately taken from her of course and she remained in shock. Yesterday I recieved a phone call from her father, it doesnt look good for the boy at all . Days have passed and now it looks as if they may have to turn the machines off.

this has me thinking about things ...it's not that long ago that this situation would have been a still birth ....but I can't help thinking in this case all they have done is prolonged the agony of the poor parents and now they have to make a decision that nature had already made for them. I feel so sorry for this poor couple and I guess at least they will be able to say goodbye to the little fella ...but ...I don't know it's so complex and it's their first child too.
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

Post by Oscar Namechange »

fuzzywuzzy;1366007 wrote: a friend of mine was in a meeting at work and began to feel sick one of the women there told her to go to the hospital because she actually turned very pale. Being 24 weeks pregnant it was prudent to go. That night she gave birth to a son, out of the blue and very quickly before any preparations. He was immediately taken from her of course and she remained in shock. Yesterday I recieved a phone call from her father, it doesnt look good for the boy at all . Days have passed and now it looks as if they may have to turn the machines off.

this has me thinking about things ...it's not that long ago that this situation would have been a still birth ....but I can't help thinking in this case all they have done is prolonged the agony of the poor parents and now they have to make a decision that nature had already made for them. I feel so sorry for this poor couple and I guess at least they will be able to say goodbye to the little fella ...but ...I don't know it's so complex and it's their first child too.
Having had a stillborn daughter myself, I feel I am qualified to say that some memories are better than none. Either way, I has to be the worst thing any human being can go through and my sympathies are with your friends. Unfortunately, they will never get over It. It may become easier to bear In time but losing a baby or a child Is something that will never leave them. I am so sorry.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

life is so sad sometimes

Post by theia »

This is a very pertinent thread to me at the moment as someone I love deeply has just been though a hellish time. Your input is invaluable, Oscar, and if there is anyone else who would care to post their experiences, these will, I'm sure, be helpful to the person I love, once she is strong enough to read this thread.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Betty Boop

life is so sad sometimes

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1366017 wrote: This is a very pertinent thread to me at the moment as someone I love deeply has just been though a hellish time. Your input is invaluable, Oscar, and if there is anyone else who would care to post their experiences, these will, I'm sure, be helpful to the person I love, once she is strong enough to read this thread.

Thought of you immediately I saw the post, such a sad time. :yh_hugs
Betty Boop

life is so sad sometimes

Post by Betty Boop »

fuzzywuzzy;1366007 wrote: a friend of mine was in a meeting at work and began to feel sick one of the women there told her to go to the hospital because she actually turned very pale. Being 24 weeks pregnant it was prudent to go. That night she gave birth to a son, out of the blue and very quickly before any preparations. He was immediately taken from her of course and she remained in shock. Yesterday I recieved a phone call from her father, it doesnt look good for the boy at all . Days have passed and now it looks as if they may have to turn the machines off.

Very sad, I can't even begin to imagine the pain of making such a decision. Life for some seems to be incredibly cruel sometimes. :-1
fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

It just seems like a very cruel double edged sword.
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

theia;1366017 wrote: This is a very pertinent thread to me at the moment as someone I love deeply has just been though a hellish time. Your input is invaluable, Oscar, and if there is anyone else who would care to post their experiences, these will, I'm sure, be helpful to the person I love, once she is strong enough to read this thread. The person you care about will experience feelings of guilt and ask herself a thousand questions such as.. was It something I ate, did I do something wrong? This Is perfectly normal until an autopsy has been performed and the answers given. If an autopsy Is not possible, the questions will stay with her for a very long time. She will have people say 'don't blame yourself' etc and these statements do not help at all. No-one can understand that you have carried a child for 9 months and your body Is telling you that you have a baby. It takes a very long time for the body to change In order to accept that you don't. Having a stillborn never leaves you. Every birthday, Christmas, family holiday, what should have been their school start day etc brings home the memories every year. Never assume your friend has moved on.

My brother's wife had a stillborn daughter 3 years ago, baby Magdelaine. My brother was In on the autopsy and he drove her there and back to the funeral directors. Before she was taken away, the hospital took hand and feet prints, a lock of her hair and photographs. My brother has a small framed picture of the hand and foot prints In his house and his 7 year old little boy tells visitors who's they are along with 'I'll meet her one day when I go to heaven'. It breaks my heart sometimes but I applaud the way my brother explained her loss to him.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AussiePam

life is so sad sometimes

Post by AussiePam »

Name the child. He or she is/was real and will always be part of you.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Yeah they have but it's not for a public forum .....they have acknowledged him. HIs head has been described to me as the size of a cricket ball so he must be so so tiny. but you see it's also very horrible for her parents as well because her brother was also a premmy at 28 weeks and they were also told to turn the machines off in which they refused and now his a 6 foot built like a brick house 23 year old so they must be looking at him thinking "but he was okay" ...and the memories must be flooding back to them as well. And also she must have that in the back of her mine as well....It's just such a **** situation all round.
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

AussiePam;1366025 wrote: Name the child. He or she is/was real and will always be part of you. What an Insensitive suggestion ! Do you really think for one moment that parents of stillborn babie's send them to their graves with no name? "He or She was real" ???? No, you don't say !
LarsMac

life is so sad sometimes

Post by LarsMac »

oscar;1366031 wrote: What an Insensitive suggestion ! Do you really think for one moment that parents of stillborn babie's send them to their graves with no name? "He or She was real" ???? No, you don't say !

My aunt did that very thing.

She named him, and gave him a funeral, and buried him.

It as a long time ago, 1950's.

I have known a few other couples who did something similar.

Whatever gives the parents what they need to deal with the tragedy they have experienced should be explored.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AussiePam

life is so sad sometimes

Post by AussiePam »

Oscar, you don't know where I'm coming from....

I've known other women who've been encouraged to "get over it", "forget", pretend nothing ever happened. Hence my comment - which you find insensitive.

It's way unseemly to bicker about such devastation. I am truly sorry for your own loss.

Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

AussiePam;1366035 wrote: Oscar, you don't know where I'm coming from....

I've known other women who've been encouraged to "get over it", "forget", pretend nothing ever happened. Hence my comment - which you find insensitive.

It's way unseemly to bicker about such devastation. I am truly sorry for your own loss.
Don't be sorry for my loss just be a little more thoughtful next time you tap the keys. If you know women who have been encouraged to get over It or forget It, then those women are surrounded by morons. Thankfully, treatment of bereaved parents has progressed since your days.
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

LarsMac;1366034 wrote: My aunt did that very thing.

She named him, and gave him a funeral, and buried him.

It as a long time ago, 1950's.

I have known a few other couples who did something similar.

Whatever gives the parents what they need to deal with the tragedy they have experienced should be explored. You have to do whatever gives you comfort. In the case of my brother, driving his baby daughter to her autopsy, being In the room watching throughout and then taking her 'home' was the last and only thing he could do for her as her Father. She had a beautiful funeral.
fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Oscar pammy wasn't being insensitive.

anyway just got a update which is confusing everyone even further . The doctor says he has a grade 2 bleed in his brain and neck and would need assistance for the rest of his life ...His nurse tells them she's seen grade 2 bleeds in babies she's nursed before and they have left hospital absolutely fine ......what the **** do they do ? which of you are nurses that could explain what the grading system is all about?
fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

AussiePam;1366035 wrote: Oscar, you don't know where I'm coming from....

yeah my mum went through that Pammy .....she had a still born the year before I was born ..His name was Gordon, he was full term. but in those days they just took the baby away . Apparently my dad went off his nut a the hospital because they left her in the maternity afterwards ...they soon rectified that situation . It wasn't until recently that they put aside a little garden in Melbourne cemetery and held a memorial service for all those women who had been in the same situation.
fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

The guilt thing that was spken about earlier in the thread . her father tells me she's already begun. We were just speaking and I told him that he's to knock out anyone who has the audacity to tell her she's still young and can have another ...guess what the nurse said?????? Of all the people in the world to say such a thing .
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

fuzzywuzzy;1366041 wrote: The guilt thing that was spken about earlier in the thread . her father tells me she's already begun. We were just speaking and I told him that he's to knock out anyone who has the audacity to tell her she's still young and can have another ...guess what the nurse said?????? Of all the people in the world to say such a thing .

I was 19 years old when I lost my daughter. ( Samantha actually Pam ), and I was given the same patronising load of codswallop also. They say it because they do not know what else to say.

Asking herself the questions Is perfectly normal and blaming herself will kick In pretty soon also. Make sure you assure her that all bereaved mothers do exactly the same.
AussiePam

life is so sad sometimes

Post by AussiePam »

Yesterday was the anniversary of the death of my first born daughter. I believe my comments were caring, but anything one says in Forum Garden gets twisted etc etc by someone. Same old same old.... I don't need it. This time, this really is my last visit here. Life's too short to spend it among ugliness.

Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

AussiePam;1366060 wrote: Yesterday was the anniversary of the death of my first born daughter. I believe my comments were caring, but anything one says in Forum Garden gets twisted etc etc by someone. Same old same old.... I don't need it. This time, this really is my last visit here. Life's too short to spend it among ugliness. Then why not point that out In your first post? I was Insulted by your post and because someone has dared call you Into question, you expose your umbrage. You posted that you were leaving this forum a few days ago on your 'requiem for the banned thread' and I seem to recall you posting similar on several other occassions. It Is not ugliness Pam, It is simply someone not agreeing with all you say. When someone disagree's with you, out you flounce. It's all dramatics and attention seeking. It Is a forum Pam, not everyone agree's with everyone's posts. You could simply have left the thread and not posted again If you were so disgruntled at someone calling your post Into question and taking the thread off tangent for the people who want to read for some help here.
fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Very sad news last night guys .................they're turning the little fellas' life support off in a couple of days. The bleed has become too much for his brain . I sat last night on the phone listening to her father weep. His grief for his grandson and very much for his daughter is overwhelming. Nobody likes to see their child in pain and sometimes you have no power over it.....it's just devastating.
Betty Boop

life is so sad sometimes

Post by Betty Boop »

fuzzywuzzy;1366158 wrote: Very sad news last night guys .................they're turning the little fellas' life support off in a couple of days. The bleed has become too much for his brain . I sat last night on the phone listening to her father weep. His grief for his grandson and very much for his daughter is overwhelming. Nobody likes to see their child in pain and sometimes you have no power over it.....it's just devastating.

So sorry fuzzy :-1
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

fuzzywuzzy;1366158 wrote: Very sad news last night guys .................they're turning the little fellas' life support off in a couple of days. The bleed has become too much for his brain . I sat last night on the phone listening to her father weep. His grief for his grandson and very much for his daughter is overwhelming. Nobody likes to see their child in pain and sometimes you have no power over it.....it's just devastating. So sorry Megs. That's another emotion In this situation... Utter helplessness to be able to do anything about It. Anger will come next.

At least they have a good supportive friend. Give them all the time you can and prepared for a long haul. It may take them years to get over the Initial raw grief. Understand that when a baby or child dies, so does all the hopes, dreams and aspirations the parents had for them.
fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

oscar;1366164 wrote: So sorry Megs. That's another emotion In this situation... Utter helplessness to be able to do anything about It. Anger will come next.

At least they have a good supportive friend. Give them all the time you can and prepared for a long haul. It may take them years to get over the Initial raw grief. Understand that when a baby or child dies, so does all the hopes, dreams and aspirations the parents had for them.

I'm a trained life line operator ...(no I'm not current don't anyone panic) .....I'll try to help her dad as best I can . There's no good in this ..none ..zilch ..there's no "well when we get on the other side of this" ...everyone just has to trudge through it I suppose. picking out tiny coffins though ......CHRIST !!! :(
Kathy Ellen

life is so sad sometimes

Post by Kathy Ellen »

fuzzywuzzy;1366158 wrote: Very sad news last night guys .................they're turning the little fellas' life support off in a couple of days. The bleed has become too much for his brain . I sat last night on the phone listening to her father weep. His grief for his grandson and very much for his daughter is overwhelming. Nobody likes to see their child in pain and sometimes you have no power over it.....it's just devastating.

Oh, that is so tragic Mags. I am so sorry for the turn of events. Poor, wee boy didn't have a chance. I hope the family will somehow survive this.
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

fuzzywuzzy;1366169 wrote: I'm a trained life line operator ...(no I'm not current don't anyone panic) .....I'll try to help her dad as best I can . There's no good in this ..none ..zilch ..there's no "well when we get on the other side of this" ...everyone just has to trudge through it I suppose. picking out tiny coffins though ......CHRIST !!! :(

Oh the coffins ! Don't remind me.

One thing stands out here. The little fella was wanted so much and would have been so loved. Life Is so cruel.
Odie

life is so sad sometimes

Post by Odie »

fuzzy, I am just so very sorry you had to hear this.:yh_hugs

and how devastating for his family:mad::yh_cry
Life is just to short for drama.
Betty Boop

life is so sad sometimes

Post by Betty Boop »

I know it's really sensitive but, what do us other mothers do when encountering people we know have lost their baby. A lady I know was pregnant at the same time as me, she was due a month after me. We'd chatted to each other as both of us were 'older' mums whom the medical profession seem to frown on. Sadly she wasn't around for a while a few months back and when I asked after her I was told that she'd miscarried :-1 (she was at least 5 months). I felt terrible standing there with my now huge bump and thoughts of me complaining of exhaustion throughout the whole pregnancy, realising that right now I'd bet she'd prefer to be suffering from just exhaustion!

It's a few months on now and I've had my baby, I do see this lady but she avoids me, she won't look at me and I don't know what to do. I don't want to upset her for the world but at the same time I want to reach out to her. I guess in her own time she will be able to greet me as she used to, maybe it's just a time thing.
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

Betty Boop;1366187 wrote: I know it's really sensitive but, what do us other mothers do when encountering people we know have lost their baby. A lady I know was pregnant at the same time as me, she was due a month after me. We'd chatted to each other as both of us were 'older' mums whom the medical profession seem to frown on. Sadly she wasn't around for a while a few months back and when I asked after her I was told that she'd miscarried :-1 (she was at least 5 months). I felt terrible standing there with my now huge bump and thoughts of me complaining of exhaustion throughout the whole pregnancy, realising that right now I'd bet she'd prefer to be suffering from just exhaustion!

It's a few months on now and I've had my baby, I do see this lady but she avoids me, she won't look at me and I don't know what to do. I don't want to upset her for the world but at the same time I want to reach out to her. I guess in her own time she will be able to greet me as she used to, maybe it's just a time thing. Funny enough, I had the opposite reaction. People with new babies would not Invite me round and scurried away In the street. I had to approach them and say 'Look, I'm OK'

My own Mother kept the news from me that a niece was pregnant for fear of upsetting me.
fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Betty Boop;1366187 wrote: I know it's really sensitive but, what do us other mothers do when encountering people we know have lost their baby. A lady I know was pregnant at the same time as me, she was due a month after me. We'd chatted to each other as both of us were 'older' mums whom the medical profession seem to frown on. Sadly she wasn't around for a while a few months back and when I asked after her I was told that she'd miscarried :-1 (she was at least 5 months). I felt terrible standing there with my now huge bump and thoughts of me complaining of exhaustion throughout the whole pregnancy, realising that right now I'd bet she'd prefer to be suffering from just exhaustion!

It's a few months on now and I've had my baby, I do see this lady but she avoids me, she won't look at me and I don't know what to do. I don't want to upset her for the world but at the same time I want to reach out to her. I guess in her own time she will be able to greet me as she used to, maybe it's just a time thing.

That's the trouble I'm having (except for the delivery side of things) all my pregnancies were trouble free, all extremely healthy babies etc. I have nothing to offer the girl. I don't know what it must feel like right now. I may be able to hazzard a good guess ...but ........

I guess it's kind of like survivor guilt...maybe?

I was talking to a girl at footy (nurse) and she said there was a mother a couple of weeks ago who had a perfect full term over due baby ..within the last 2 hours leading up to the C-section the baby had died ......It's like soooo close :(
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

fuzzywuzzy;1366219 wrote: That's the trouble I'm having (except for the delivery side of things) all my pregnancies were trouble free, all extremely healthy babies etc. I have nothing to offer the girl. I don't know what it must feel like right now. I may be able to hazzard a good guess ...but ........

I was talking to a girl at footy (nurse) and she said there was a mother a couple of weeks ago who had a perfect full term over due baby ..within the last 2 hours leading up to the C-section the baby had died ......It's like soooo close :(
Are they getting counselling Fizz ? Have they been put In touch with support groups of other bereaved parents?
Betty Boop

life is so sad sometimes

Post by Betty Boop »

fuzzywuzzy;1366219 wrote: That's the trouble I'm having (except for the delivery side of things) all my pregnancies were trouble free, all extremely healthy babies etc. I have nothing to offer the girl. I don't know what it must feel like right now. I may be able to hazzard a good guess ...but ........

My first pregnancy was the troublesome one where we were both nearly lost, it's only now looking back that I can appreciate how lucky we were but that doesn't come any where near the pain that these mum's must feel.

I think it's just a feeling of helplessness to know what to do or say.
fuzzywuzzy

life is so sad sometimes

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Well they said goodbye to the little fella yesterday and he passed away almost immediately.

what struck me when we went to see him (I was basically there as support for grandad) was the actual place itself . We hear about the mortality rate of babies in western countries but if this hospital is anything to go by I think they aren't counting right . I'd never seen such a large area or as many humy cribs in my life. While grandad was saying goodbye I moved over to see the other babies....some were even smaller than him. There were full term babies there as well, what a heartbreaking place ...I don't know how those nurses and doctors do this stuff.

Anyway I took some pics of him so his grandad has something to remember him by. Funeral is this week ....and just to add to the heart ache so is grandads birthday. :(
Oscar Namechange

life is so sad sometimes

fuzzywuzzy;1366753 wrote: Well they said goodbye to the little fella yesterday and he passed away almost immediately.

what struck me when we went to see him (I was basically there as support for grandad) was the actual place itself . We hear about the mortality rate of babies in western countries but if this hospital is anything to go by I think they aren't counting right . I'd never seen such a large area or as many humy cribs in my life. While grandad was saying goodbye I moved over to see the other babies....some were even smaller than him. There were full term babies there as well, what a heartbreaking place ...I don't know how those nurses and doctors do this stuff.

Anyway I took some pics of him so his grandad has something to remember him by. Funeral is this week ....and just to add to the heart ache so is grandads birthday. :( I am so sorry.

Return to “Members' News”