Health Visitors

Betty Boop

Health Visitors

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv's banning smoking in cars thread got me thinking about just how much control is being exercised over us nowadays.

I attended a 'feeding forum' that myself and Jowan were invited to, involving health visitors and their helpers giving advice on weaning our babies. Out came the current dictation that babies shouldn't be given any food until six months. Jowan was weaned around four months simply because he started waking through the night and was demanding more and more milk. I put up with it for a while but then he became thoroughly miserable and started producing around six bad runny nappies a day making me think no wonder he's miserable the milk is just going straight through him. So I started him on solids against all the government advice.

I didn't go into it blindly, I checked out why the health professionals are giving this advice and it seems it's because they think babies weaned too early are likely to end up with allergies to wheat. Ok, that's fine, personally I think they've not really got any idea that it is that reason, I'd say that the population is consuming too much of the stuff day in day out without even realising it, it's in everything!! That aside it's not too difficult for me to feed Jowan food that is free of wheat and gluten as most of the food in this house is already wheat and gluten free anyway.

Jowan is a big lad bless him, not fat, he's tall for his age and he's certainly not skinny, what get's on my nerves is the frowns from the health visitors that he could be considered overweight, even though as of yet they've not actually checked his length alongside his weight :rolleyes:. He was certainly much bigger than the other children there, three petite baby girls and the two other boys were premature babies. He was most certainly the happiest and most content baby there too. Two mothers commented on me not looking frazzled and tired and asked if he slept through the night, you could see they just wanted to cry when I told them that Jowan sleeps from 10pm until 8am. Evidently they are getting precious little sleep and have no hope of getting any for another two months if they're going to continue to follow the government advice.

From birth he didn't fit newborn clothes, he went straight into 0-3 months, now he is in 6-9 months clothes at about five and a half months.

Why age on something like weaning, surely it should be based on the size of the baby?
theia

Health Visitors

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1375931 wrote: Bruv's banning smoking in cars thread got me thinking about just how much control is being exercised over us nowadays.

I attended a 'feeding forum' that myself and Jowan were invited to, involving health visitors and their helpers giving advice on weaning our babies. Out came the current dictation that babies shouldn't be given any food until six months. Jowan was weaned around four months simply because he started waking through the night and was demanding more and more milk. I put up with it for a while but then he became thoroughly miserable and started producing around six bad runny nappies a day making me think no wonder he's miserable the milk is just going straight through him. So I started him on solids against all the government advice.

I didn't go into it blindly, I checked out why the health professionals are giving this advice and it seems it's because they think babies weaned too early are likely to end up with allergies to wheat. Ok, that's fine, personally I think they've not really got any idea that it is that reason, I'd say that the population is consuming too much of the stuff day in day out without even realising it, it's in everything!! That aside it's not too difficult for me to feed Jowan food that is free of wheat and gluten as most of the food in this house is already wheat and gluten free anyway.

Jowan is a big lad bless him, not fat, he's tall for his age and he's certainly not skinny, what get's on my nerves is the frowns from the health visitors that he could be considered overweight, even though as of yet they've not actually checked his length alongside his weight :rolleyes:. He was certainly much bigger than the other children there, three petite baby girls and the two other boys were premature babies. He was most certainly the happiest and most content baby there too. Two mothers commented on me not looking frazzled and tired and asked if he slept through the night, you could see they just wanted to cry when I told them that Jowan sleeps from 10pm until 8am. Evidently they are getting precious little sleep and have no hope of getting any for another two months if they're going to continue to follow the government advice.

From birth he didn't fit newborn clothes, he went straight into 0-3 months, now he is in 6-9 months clothes at about five and a half months.

Why age on something like weaning, surely it should be based on the size of the baby?

That's the problem, isn't it...blanket rules for everyone, with no regard for the individual. And the worst part is being frowned upon if you treat your child as an individual. And, incidentally, Jowan is one of the most content babies I've known, and such a happy little soul :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Betty Boop

Health Visitors

Post by Betty Boop »

It would be interesting to know what the mothers of the premature babies are advised. Nothing different seemed to be addressed to them, yet when I had my first child who was also premature, you were advised to wait until the baby was a certain weight and you had to basically forget the milestones that most babies reach.
Chloe_88

Health Visitors

Post by Chloe_88 »

I'm not a mum ( well of 4 kitty cats, but that doesnt count here :)) but I can tell you, my brothers and I walked before we were 9 months and 1 of my brothers ate a full x-mas dinner at 6 months! I think it depends on the baby, a guideline is OK but don't follow it to the exact rule, babies are all different.
thomasmite996

Health Visitors

Post by thomasmite996 »

Nice sharing....

This forum help to plan my eating schedules and maintain body fitness...

Thanks for posting.. Keep it up..!!!

Return to “Health Wellness”